• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I've been trying to join the military, but my mom is withholding my own documents from me because she thinks I'm going to be deployed to Ukraine to fight Russians or whatever. Unfortunately, she sees facebook moms more than I do and she picks up on some stupid stuff.

Well, my life plans have been put on a halt for now. :061:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I've been trying to join the military, but my mom is withholding my own documents from me because she thinks I'm going to be deployed to Ukraine to fight Russians or whatever. Unfortunately, she sees facebook moms more than I do and she picks up on some stupid stuff.

Minion memes got your mom screwing up your plans, that sucks bro.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm starting to question if it's worth it to try to complete the dex in Pokemon Legends, i already have plenty of shinies, some of them being Pokemon you can GET in Legends and i already have three Arceus's, which are more valuable than the one you can catch in this game because their from events.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I kind of like the classic EV system since it allows you to customize your pokemon's stats, which means making interesting decisions sometimes. Yeah usually that just results in basic min-maxing but it can be fun sometimes to find the exact spread you need to survive a crucial move or outspeed a specific target.

The IV system needs to go and never come back though. Bottle Caps are a good start but they're so rare and only work at level 100 which sucks. At least in Sw/Sh I grinded so much Dynamax Adventures I had ore to spare on bottle caps and exp candy though.

Shroob

Sup?
1645329829231.png

I feel like I'm the only one who likes IVs and despises EVs.

Like yeah, it's annoying as **** to do specific setups like 0 speed IV Ferrothorn, but, I dunno, I just like the grind?

EVs pre-being able to just vitamin a Pokemon were the bane of me, I hated them, especially in games where certain stats were super hard to find early on.

Noipoi

Howdy!
View attachment 345696

I feel like I'm the only one who likes IVs and despises EVs.

Like yeah, it's annoying as **** to do specific setups like 0 speed IV Ferrothorn, but, I dunno, I just like the grind?

EVs pre-being able to just vitamin a Pokemon were the bane of me, I hated them, especially in games where certain stats were super hard to find early on.
Well you know what?

That’s ok :nifty:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'll be honest, the second people start talking EVs and IVs I get put to sleep.

I like catching Pokemon and completing the Pokedex.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I kind of like the classic EV system since it allows you to customize your pokemon's stats, which means making interesting decisions sometimes. Yeah usually that just results in basic min-maxing but it can be fun sometimes to find the exact spread you need to survive a crucial move or outspeed a specific target.

The IV system needs to go and never come back though. Bottle Caps are a good start but they're so rare and only work at level 100 which sucks. At least in Sw/Sh I grinded so much Dynamax Adventures I had ore to spare on bottle caps and exp candy though.
The customization idea is nice, but there are much better ways to implement that than using invisible values and encouraging running from certain fights. The Digimon story games, particularly Cyber Sleuth and HM, do a pretty good job with a similar system. You still have a maximum number of points you can spend any way you want, but it's easier to optimize without looking anything up and a little less tedious to actually do.

But to make this not just another "Pokemon bad other monster collector good" post: I think the reason why IVs and EVs (as well as some other mechanics) are the way they are in Pokemon is because it makes the mons feel more real, and more like individuals. I don't think you'd get as attached to your Pokemon if you could easily make every one of them perfect. Personally, I don't think the tradeoff is really for me, but I think it probably is worth it for most people.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I had hardly played Brilliant Diamond. Decided to get back to it after Legends.

Just had 4 encounters in 4 steps.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
FMBJKTbVcAYLEtk.jpeg

Alpha and Child. A spawn of a creature so powerful is a spawn that will survive and thrive. None dare bring the child sorrow, least they incur the wrath of the mother with red eyes.

Got another Shiny pair, this time being an Alpha Tentacruel and regular Tentacool. I'm really enjoying doing these pictures. It looks like you guys enjoy them as well.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
KOF 15 Looks wild. Seeing the combos people do with Terry and Vanessa is something else. Well, Terry's combos aren't super long, but they are mad damaging for a character who's normally mid-tier in those games. I can't play every FG a ton, but I'm gonna try and at least watch some more crazy KOF footage.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
KOF 15 Looks wild. Seeing the combos people do with Terry and Vanessa is something else. Well, Terry's combos aren't super long, but they are mad damaging for a character who's normally mid-tier in those games. I can't play every FG a ton, but I'm gonna try and at least watch some more crazy KOF footage.
KOF XV is one of the few recent games that has made me wanna get a PS5. Why does my PC have to be so bad... 😭

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:ultpeach:
6D4EA1FF-B4F2-4C50-9810-9CE47526392D.jpeg
:ultdaisy:
5379EFDD-CC08-44ED-9845-24874B9DB3D4.jpeg
be more of a :ultdaisy: (or even a:ultrosalina::ultwendy:) and less of a :ultpeach:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

IVs I definitely dislike as a system more. My personal wish is for Game Freak to mix together the systems of the past three gens: Gen 6 Super Training, Gen 7 Bottle Caps, Gen 8 Mints.

I need to get back to my playthrough of NES bootleg Super Mario World.
That and the Sonic NES game are still on my list. Breaking the limits of 8 bit systems will never not impress me.

I'm suddenly reminded of the Pokemon Yellow NES bootleg. I remember it got rid of both IVs and EVs, so more or less you never needed to catch more than one of the same Pokemon.

It also ironically moved HMs to menus years before the actual mainline series did. lol

D

Deleted member

One thing I think Gen 1 and 2 did way better than modern games is the stat EXP system instead of the modern EVs. You could just battle whatever you wanted without fear of messing up due to an arbitrary 510 EV limit. Sure, IVs were still a thing, but they're super easy to get nowadays, with how easy breeding was made.

Really wish stat EXP would be brought back (or the 510 EV cap removed). Legends Arceus was a step in the right direction, but only time will tell if it's here to stay.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
One thing I think Gen 1 and 2 did way better than modern games is the stat EXP system instead of the modern EVs. You could just battle whatever you wanted without fear of messing up due to an arbitrary 510 EV limit. Sure, IVs were still a thing, but they're super easy to get nowadays, with how easy breeding was made.

Really wish stat EXP would be brought back (or the 510 EV cap removed). Legends Arceus was a step in the right direction, but only time will tell if it's here to stay.
Isn't the 510 cap so you don't make your Pokemon super broken?

...then again Pokemon balance is halfassed in the first place, sure some things are naturally OP like legendaries or mediocre like most early game mons (this is why Furret is doomed to be abysmal for example), but then there's legendaries worthy of NU.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Isn't the 510 cap so you don't make your Pokemon super broken?

...then again Pokemon balance is halfassed in the first place, sure some things are naturally OP like legendaries or mediocre like most early game mons (this is why Furret is doomed to be abysmal for example), but then there's legendaries worthy of NU.
If GF were concerned with balance, Mega Rayquaza or Zacian wouldn't exist, while on the flipside not even giving Zamazenta Body Press. They also wouldn't have re-introdced Landorus-T in SwSh via update.

Seriously, just removing the 510 EV limit wouldn't make a Pokemon broken, in the long run it would just even out and make EV training less obnoxious, especially with forced EXP share. And even if it were broken, then let it be, Pokemon really isn't balanced.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Mega Rayquaza or Zacian wouldn't exist
Part of the problem with Pokemon balance being out of wack is that a lot of mons are balanced around the single player and when/how frequently they'd be encountered or the context of their encounters. Legendaries are supposed to be one of a kind and like boss battles in the SP campaign, resulting in a lot of them being broken in MP.

I used Furret as an example of a mon doomed to be terrible in MP thanks to SP since in Pokemon GS, it was supposed to be an early, early game member of your team. You stop encountering Sentret after the very first route in the game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The Uncharted movie was so unremarkable that it's almost funny.

It got a few chuckles from me and Tom Holland was surprisingly good as Drake but they really should try harder if there's a sequel.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
FMC-qYcVUAEss7O.jpeg

A Ship to keep. Beware, spirits- my might is as wild as my colors. Though the souls of they who betrayed the land to join the waters wander this coast, this ship will always be home to my kin. Beware spirits- this is my ship to keep.

My beautiful tropical boy! I caught him awhile back, but I've been meaning to get a pic of him where I caught him.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Tbh I get the whole 'remove EVs and IVs' crowd cause it adds a lot of invisible elements which is naturally, quite frustrating as the best way to get an eye on that is typically at postgame with a ****ton of grinding for stupidly expensive or rare items, but one issue the alternative gives us is everything being stupidly bulky cause like, EVs make it so you can't have max HP, defence and special defence.

osby

Smash Obsessed
DAILY DEMON SHOWCASE

This showcase's demon is of the Wilder race:

1645367745845.png

“I’m Wilder Chupacabra. Do you have snacks? I can find you some snacks.”

Alignment: Neutral-Neutral

Origin: Puerto Rican urban legend. A legendary creature believed in both Americas. Its name means “goat sucker” and stems from its supposed vampirism of livestock. Its appearance varies, with USA reports leaning to a canine monster and Puerto Rico witnesses describing it as reptilian and alien. It may hop like a kangaroo or walk on its fours. Rather than eating its victims, a chupacabra drains animals’ blood and organs by opening small holes on them.

Skills: Life Drain, Sukukaja, Eat Whole

Next time, you will meet a demon of the Lady race.

There is not a definitive agreement of how chupacabras and depending on where you live, its look here may seem a bit random, other than the row of spikes going through its back and scaly skin. Its small height is also in-line with certain descriptions that say it’s about a meter long. Apparently, chupacabras are said to be shaped like winged snakes in certain parts of Chile, likely inspired by vampire bats. Combine it with alien rumors, you get quite a clear idea of where its design comes from.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'm okay with IVs and EVs, but I'm not a fan of how they handle Natures altogether. It's not as big an issue as it use to be bit I personally think that there could be a better system. Idk.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Probably just had the biggest snow dump ever I've seen in my life. So much snow I had to take a break.

I'm so getting sick of these snow dumps...Hurrah for shoveling... :glare:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

I dont know what going on in ukrane rn but i just wonder why Russia wont stop acting like a kid
:ultpeach:
:ultdaisy:
be more of a :ultdaisy: (or even a:ultrosalina::ultwendy:) and less of a :ultpeach:
"Please bring my boyfriend back, PLEASE"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom