• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If you want to talk about Dank Mascot platformers, Gex's 2D game, the first one. Is actually a solid title from what I hear. He just radiates trash energy tho.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Congratulations.

You played Deltarune, just as it became uncool to spam Spamton quotes.

Thus making the point of me having you play Deltarune, which would be having you understand the origin of these quotes so you’d be even more annoyed when I bombarded you with them, entirely pointless.

You always find ways to ruin my plans…
What do you mean. The [[Number1RatedSalesman1997]] is always [[HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA]]

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If you want to talk about Dank Mascot platformers, Gex's 2D game, the first one. Is actually a solid title from what I hear. He just radiates trash energy tho.
I thought all the Gex games were considered pretty solid?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Good god, this film can’t come soon enough
Can't wait until it revealed Knuckles finds out he too was raised by Longclaw (Enslaved by Echidna tribe and forced to raise him) and thus spares Sonic so then they face off against Eggman in the finale! :D

"Save Longclaw" will be the New "Save Martha" after Batman/Superman and Godzilla/Kong. :laugh:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
DAILY DEMON SHOWCASE

This showcase's demon is of the Fallen race:

1644591533438.png

“I am Fallen Murmur. I shall pluck the spirits of scoundrels who awoken thy anger!”

Alignment: Dark-Chaos

Origin: Ars Goetia. Murmur is the 54th demonic spirit of Solomon and a Great Duke and Earl of Hell, taking the form of a soldier with a ducal crown riding a vulture or griffin. A teacher of philosophy, and also a master necromancer, he is able to force the spirits of the dead to answer any question a conjurer might have. He commands thirty legions of demons. Two of his servants announce him with trumpets, which are his namesake.

Skills: Damascus Claw, Mazionga, Mudoon, Charge

Next time, you will meet a demon of the Haunt race.

Murmur is you get what it’s written on the tin. He’s a knight who rides a griffin. Similar to Berith and Eligor, his body is completely covered with his armor and his steed has some subtle demonic features. Other than his badass arm fold, he’s not a very memorable design but I think he could be a fun, flying counterpart to other Goetia demons.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Can't wait until it revealed Knuckles finds out he too was raised by Longclaw (Enslaved by Echidna tribe and forced to raise him) and thus spares Sonic so then they face off against Eggman in the finale! :D

"Save Longclaw" will be the New "Save Martha" after Batman/Superman and Godzilla/Kong. :laugh:
How many times did you make this joke at this point?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Sonic is looking to own as much of 2022 as possible

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
BHM Day 11:
So I'm black, no secret there. It's alao no secret that I di care for seeing black hair for characters
Speaking of when are we getting afrocentic hair in Pokemon c'mon GameFreak.
Oh, on word? I might pick this up
I don't have waves irl

So like, when is Pokemon getting afrocentric hair? They're behind the times
So minor and personal gripe with Legends Arceus: No afrocentric/black hairstyles again for the 8th game in a row dawg I am begging GameFreak to give us an afro or something I'm tired of looking like the unwashed dusty ass Uncle Ruckus.
Black person wants black hair for their black trainer. Smashbords user can't comprehend.

What kinda question is that? Tf?
Yeah, it's important to me, but truth is we just like being represented, but that's not 100% possible when companies ignore something like afrocentric hair. So today I'll be highligting a lady who's making that accessible to all.
arnke4brpqgp5xql4czl.jpeg

This is A.M. Darke, professor of UC Santa Cruz, and she is also the creator of the Open Source Afro Hair library. The OSAHL is a "The Open Source Afro Hair Library (currently in development) is a free, user friendly, highly curated 3D model database of Black hairstyles and textures. It is a feminist, anti-racist resource for digital artists and 3D content creators." She was inspired to make this when she couldn't find any feasible black hairstyles on popular 3D modeling websites. Searching up "African American" brought up racist imagery and stereotypical models. Clearly, black people weren't quite the fit for 3D modelers.

It's not like AAA games helped either, black hair is limited in many different ways, sometimes being straight up omitted. ALl of this made way for her to get inspired, and fix an issie that tbh shouldn't even exist. With her, a team of 6 artists, and stipends of $1500, they got to work. The website isn't out as of today, but I'll post some samples from the site.

Made by H.D. Hariss
hair-04-render-01.png
hair-08-render-02.png

Made by Annabel Maokhamphiou
doublepuff_heroshot.png
Jovan Wilson, a contributor, had this to say: “I hear a lot of people say, ‘Why does it matter?’ Because it means a lot, you know? You want to see yourself. I’ve seen so many kids faces just light up when they see dolls and characters that look like them. It means something... So seeing this project for the first time was like time for me to heal my inner child."

osby

Smash Obsessed
We ended up having memes/jokes about Godzilla and Kong with "Save Mothra".

May very well pass on the torch especially with the potential of Longclaw being alive this whole time.
So some ideas are worth revisiting again if you're personally fond of them?

A certain someone who keeps complaining about every long-running series they don't like endlessly can learn something from this.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A certain someone who keeps complaining about every long-running series they don't like endlessly can learn something from this.
The only long-running franchises would be ones that dipped in quality like Simpsons, and Family Guy.

Ones like One Piece however though I don't have a problem with.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also, I wanna say that I do not plan out my BHM posts to be on the same page of Daily Demon Showcases. It's been entirely coincidental thus far.

I forgot to do this in the post, but since the iron is hot, I do wanna highlight why black hair in games is so important to me, even if the game takes place in Northern Japan in the Meiji era. I know I said something about a reflection post, but I feel like I should nip this one in the bud now.

You see, when I was 10 playing Black and White, I remember one if the first thinks I ever searched up was how to make my trainer black, and I remember being hella dissappointed when there was no way to change that. The same with Oras, only I was even more dissappointed because they fixed the issue in the game prior. Kinda made it feel like skin tones were an afterthought.

It's the same thing with afrocentric hair. We get discriminated, hatred, and bigotry because the way our hair looks. In a eurocentric based world, our hair is considered "unatural", "ugly", or "distracting". In a way, when games don't have that or make black hair like an afterthought, it kinda reinforces the viewpoint that black hair isn't for this world.

I just want game devs to challenge that backward way of thinking and add in as many afrocentric hair as they can. I do not care for the time period or if it doesn't fit the style or whatever bull****, I just wanna see myself in the game. That's all.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
mega

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Congratulations.

Thus making the point of me having you play Deltarune, which would be having you understand the origin of these quotes so you’d be even more annoyed when I bombarded you with them, entirely pointless.

You always find ways to ruin my plans…
Hey, what can I say. You mess with me, and you're gonna have a bad time.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
mega
more
There was a problem fetching the tweet

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
mega
On one hand... facepalm

On the other hand, that is so fitting of his character.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Congratulations.

big shot
thank you thank you all.

Also, uh

As a not-black person who doesn't know much about black peoples 'cuz I don't have any black friends irl.

So far, is this character look good enough so far???
Screen Shot 02-11-22 at 06.47 PM.PNG

tagging TheMightyP TheMightyP since I know you care alot about that stuff.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
For some reason, I keep imagining Bandana Dee's reaction to seeing Mouthful Mode for the first time.

I think he would be pretty grossed out at seeing his friend Kirby nearly swallowing a car.
(But would be fine with that later on)
I can picture these scenarios:
  • Bandana Dee using Arch Kirby like a hand glider
  • Him getting a drink from Vending Kirby
  • Sleeping on Water Balloon Kirby's giant body
  • Hiding under Cone Kirby (like that scene from Toy Story 2)
  • Sitting on top of Car Kirby

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
big shot
thank you thank you all.

Also, uh

As a not-black person who doesn't know much about black peoples 'cuz I don't have any black friends irl.

So far, is this character look good enough so far???
View attachment 344873
tagging TheMightyP TheMightyP since I know you care alot about that stuff.
It's fine imo. Nothing really racially insensitive from what I can see.

Assuming he's like a part of a tribe or something?

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
When it comes to designs, all you really gotta worry about is making sure they're not possibly racially insensitive. Otherwise, go crazy
Yeah, that's what i'm trying to avoid.

Also to answer your previous question, he isn't part of a tribe. The gray hair is more to show his age & stylized his haircut a bit.

Well that, and i'm still debating some details about the character design & lore, so what you see here isn't like, final final. Heck my previous answer I gave could change depending at how his story & background would work better for my story. Just so you know.

As another certified blacktm it looks fine to me.
Certified enjoyement approval success.

Also Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! , glad we're feeling the same about those cursed Kirby transformations.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, that's what i'm trying to avoid.

Also to answer your previous question, he isn't part of a tribe. The gray hair is more to show his age & stylized his haircut a bit.

Well that, and i'm still debating some details about the character design & lore, so what you see here isn't like, final final.

Certified enjoyement approval success.

Also Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! , glad we're feeling the same about those cursed Kirby transformations.
I see, the hair just reminded me of the Echidna tribe from SA1

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I see, the hair just reminded me of the Echidna tribe from SA1
Yeah I can see that.

I do like tribe design & the like, but still, no matter how cool & interesting I might find something, gotta make sure it make sense in-universe & doesn't carry bad implications or the like. 'cuz you know, racism suck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom