• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Superhero nerds are weird, like, Power Rangers has a lot of racist fans despite being about diversity and the franchise's roots having the main villain be a guy in a KKK robe called Black Cross Fuhrer being made by a radically left wing person in the 70's
That's what not having reading comprehension does to you. Some people seriously look at the old Marvel comics or Star Wars movies and don't see the messages about acceptance, love, or overcoming differences. They just see someone who looks like them saving the day.

For all its faults, the superhero genre has a long history of diverse heroes. It's only that they started becoming the front and center especially in the last decade and it became harder for annoying nerds to ignore them.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I mean, that part's right for Miles Morales
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Superhero nerds are weird, like, Power Rangers has a lot of racist fans despite being about diversity and the franchise's roots having the main villain be a guy in a KKK robe called Black Cross Fuhrer being made by a radically left wing person in the 70's
"DO IIIIIII mm mm mmmm" - lock him up this is foul.

But being serious here, idk why bigotry is so prevelant in nerd spaces, like, Ik bigotry is everywhere, but it's like 100x worse in such nerdy communities to the point where minority groups have to make their own safe spaces because it's that ****ing bad.

Like, did MLK rip up Batman or something? Wtf did we do to make them that mad.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know people memed about characters from Clockwork Orange or It being in MultiVersus to death but you know what else is eligible for it?

Supernatural.

Reactions: Z25

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
My school is still closed due to not being able to identify the threat. That is all fine and dandy, except for the part where they didn’t send it out over email. Meaning I once again got up at six and stood outside in the freezing cold for 20 minutes, only for the same neighbor to tell me it was closed again.

I dunno if the incompetence or deja vu is more overpowering.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
My school is still closed due to not being able to identify the threat. That is all fine and dandy, except for the part where they didn’t send it out over email. Meaning I once again got up at six and stood outside in the freezing cold for 20 minutes, only for the same neighbor to tell me it was closed again.

I dunno if the incompetence or deja vu is more overpowering.
ITs me

Im the threat

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
That's what not having reading comprehension does to you. Some people seriously look at the old Marvel comics or Star Wars movies and don't see the messages about acceptance, love, or overcoming differences. They just see someone who looks like them saving the day.

For all its faults, the superhero genre has a long history of diverse heroes. It's only that they started becoming the front and center especially in the last decade and it became harder for annoying nerds to ignore them.
People will literally look at Superman punch a nazi then hate Superboy for being bi.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Miles might not have been great when Bendis was writing him but post-Bendis Miles has more than earned the title of Spider-Man, especially the Spiderverse/PS4 versions. I’ll bet there’s quite a few comic fans that still see Miles as the carbon copy of Peter he once was and are hung up on that.

Complaining about Miles getting attention is silly. It’s not like Peter’s going anywhere.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Miles might not have been great when Bendis was writing him but post-Bendis Miles has more than earned the title of Spider-Man, especially the Spiderverse/PS4 versions. I’ll bet there’s quite a few comic fans that still see Miles as the carbon copy of Peter he once was and are hung up on that.

Complaining about Miles getting attention is silly. It’s not like Peter’s going anywhere.
Spiderverse is low key the first time Miles doesnt feel like Walmart brand Peter.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I just made it to the part in SRW where the main protagonist of the GBA Robot wars game shows up.

I chose to believe they only put him in this game because the GBA Robot wars game was the first one to get a western release, so it's like a nostalgic appeal to the few people who played that back in the day.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I swear to god. Nostalgia is probably going to be the next thing in Hollywood after superheroes because I'm starting to notice this trend...

Can't wait until they end up tarnishing classics like Back to the Future, Speed, Tango & Cash, Cobra, and many others as they had with Bill & Ted, Coming To America, Jumanji, and Matrix.

Has there been exceptions yes (Blade Runner, Bad Boys, and potentially Top Gun given it's in the hands of a good director) but more often than not "belated" sequels tend to suck. Can they leave the nostalgia in the pass please and come up with more new stuff like John Wick, A Quiet Place, The Hitman's Bodyguard, and Nobody?

Hollywood is clearly too lazy and very desperate for more money.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I swear to god. Nostalgia is probably going to be the next thing in Hollywood after superheroes because I'm starting to notice this trend...

Can't wait until they end up tarnishing classics like Back to the Future, Speed, Tango & Cash, Cobra, and many others as they had with Bill & Ted, Coming To America, Jumanji, and Matrix.

Has there been exceptions yes (Blade Runner, Bad Boys, and potentially Top Gun given it's in the hands of a good director) but more often than not "belated" sequels tend to suck. Can they leave the nostalgia in the pass please and come up with new stuff like John Wick, A Quiet Place, The Hitman's Bodyguard, and Nobody?

Hollywood is clearly desperate for more money.
It's either that or Videogame movies, because ive been noticing those being a thing more and more.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's either that or Videogame movies, because ive been noticing those being a thing more and more.
Much rather it be video games as there's plenty of video game franchises to adapt into movies.

Despite the whole stigma they tend to suck aside from ones like Rampage, Sonic, and Detective Pikachu.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
is now the part where I say that I actually liked Anime Iris?
To be fair, she was fine the first 20 episodes of Black and White’s anime. But then they had to cancel the Team Rocket Vs Team Plasma special, and rewrite the entire the season.

Which at the point, every character took a change for the worse imo. It all became boring and annoying from there, because they began to hone in on one piece of a characters personality and make thet
Everything about them for a joke.

However, when Iris came back in Journey, she was written way better. She came off on par with her champion personality. Which I’m pretty sure they said she’s now champion of Unova in the anime. She came off as a person who was a fierce competitor, while still remaking friendly. Where as before, she always berated others in the black and white anime and came off super annoying. Really glad they bought out the good aspects of her character from the games when she returned.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Has there been exceptions yes (Blade Runner, Bad Boys, and potentially Top Gun given it's in the hands of a good director) but more often than not "belated" sequels tend to suck. Can they leave the nostalgia in the pass please and come up with more new stuff like John Wick, A Quiet Place, The Hitman's Bodyguard, and Nobody?

Hollywood is clearly too lazy and very desperate for more money.
This is just in: Hollywood wants easy money

I actually enjoyed the new Bill & Ted and Jumanji

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Also knowing Hollywood today. Speed 3 would resort to using obvious CGI vehicles because they're too lazy to put actual effort that the first movie did.

Now do you understand why I tend to be cynical when it comes to "belated" sequels and modern movies for the most part?

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Maybe a hot take, but I'm not super big on the infamous "Let's move on from this topic please." comment that we get from the mods frequently. If someone is spittin' bullcrap, I feel like the mods should put their foot down and tell them to stop, not just redirect the conversation. That teaches the "bullcrap-spitter" nothing in the slightest. It's less than a slap on the wrist. I know the mods aren't too big on dogpiling either, but let's be honest; Is a mod just doing their job contributing to any dogpiling?

I have plenty more issues with the Smashboards moderation system, but I dunno, I haven't seen that particular comment we get brought up all too much. Truth be told, I don't know how the moderation system works in full (If mods act on their own accord, how strict their guidelines are, etc.) but hey, if any mods are readin' this, hopefully y'all take that into consideration.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Maybe a hot take, but I'm not super big on the infamous "Let's move on from this topic please." comment that we get from the mods frequently. If someone is spittin' bullcrap, I feel like the mods should put their foot down and tell them to stop, not just redirect the conversation. That teaches the "bullcrap-spitter" nothing in the slightest. It's less than a slap on the wrist. I know the mods aren't too big on dogpiling either, but let's be honest; Is a mod just doing their job contributing to any dogpiling?

I have plenty more issues with the Smashboards moderation system, but I dunno, I haven't seen that particular comment we get brought up all too much.
Yeah, I have to agree. Like, it usually does nothing other than to stop the conversation dead in its tracks and the "bullcrap-spitter" (as you adequately put it) doesn't even get a warning. And there have been at least two instances I'm aware of where the mods who have said it haven't even read the conversation properly and only course-corrected because people called them out on it.

Meanwhile I once got banned for explaining why I ignore certain people.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I always thought this, but I wonder how much of the mod team are minorities of any kind, cause I feel as if a lot of them don't quite understand why so many of these topics are quite irritating to some of us.

Idk, I feel like having a more diverse mod team would allieviate that issues.

I know it's not really the fault of the mods themselves since they just applied, I guess it's more of a general site concern

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
At some point the mods have gotta realise just how many times they've said "move on" over this particular thing

First few times, sure it's fine.
But the foot has to come down at some point with the constant repeats and it's beyond that point.

It feels like mods are too afraid to actually do that unless you're making a dumb middle school joke about Pokemon 112

osby

Smash Obsessed

I have plenty more issues with the Smashboards moderation system, but I dunno, I haven't seen that particular comment we get brought up all too much. Truth be told, I don't know how the moderation system works in full (If mods act on their own accord, how strict their guidelines are, etc.) but hey, if any mods are readin' this, hopefully y'all take that into consideration.
iirc, the whole point of "moving away from the topic" is to encourage users to just report the 1-2 posts they have a problem with and allow mods to deal with them without also having to tackle the growing problem.

Of course, this becomes a problem when people
a. fly under the radar with their bull****
b. aren't dealt the appropriate warnings

I think shutting off discussions isn't necessarily a bad thing but yeah, it feels like ignoring the problem at a point.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Meanwhile I once got banned for explaining why I ignore certain people.
I dunno the full context of the post, obviously, but yeah, that sounds uh- a bit dumb. Stuff like that is what gives me the impression that mods just act independently of each other, and have very loose guidelines on what's ban-worthy, infraction-worthy, etc. For example, about one or two years ago, I kept getting hounded with bans and infractions by a single mod. But when I talked to another mod about it, he said that all of the reasons I was infracted and banned (Forgetting about the 10 character limit for posts, accidentally double-posting, etc.) I shouldn't have been penalized for. Heck, I'm pretty sure I still have a permanent infraction from when that mod was hounding me. And the MOMENT they left the mod team, I stopped getting those infractions and bans. It's like each mod has their own set of "moderation morals" and it's just creating loads of inconsistency.

Honestly wouldn't even be surprised if the mod who was infracting me thought they were handing out warnings instead of infractions or something like that. I'd just love to get that permanent infraction removed, but eh. Doubt the admin team would listen to me, haha.

I always thought this, but I wonder how much of the mod team are minorities of any kind, cause I feel as if a lot of them don't quite understand why so many of these topics are quite irritating to some of us.

Idk, I feel like having a more diverse mod team would allieviate that issues.

I know it's not really the fault of the mods themselves since they just applied, I guess it's more of a general site concern
Honestly, that's a really good point. I never thought of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom