• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I've honestly believe Nintendo will NEVER go back to the original Paper Mario formula, no matter how much the player base complains.

TTYD will be 18 years old next year and we've gotten 4½ games since then (½ being Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam), none of which were what people were asking.

Another game I'd recommend that has the old gameplay formula (besides Bug Fables) is South Park: The Stick of Truth.
I tried playing Stick of truth, and generally i enjoyed what i played.

But the abortion clinic dungeon made me drop it because... Well i'm sure you know what happens there, assuming youve played the game. It's the only time a game has made physically uncomfortable.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
My one thing with the new Paper Mario games is I really, really wish we could get stuff like partners again. Not even the mechanic, but unique takes on Mario designs. And new species entirely. Things like that really helped to flesh out the Mario world, and I miss it.

But I know it won’t happen, so Y’know.
For what it's worth, I actually did enjoy ToKs partners. Only 2 were actually new (not counting Olivia), but I did like teaming up with Bowser's army near the end of the game with Kamek, Jr. and then Bowser himself.

Plus, I actually like this chad of a man
PMOK_Professor_Toad.png

who's bobby?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Even then, there's some of the **** he quite literally can't control.

I feel like he's just became a scapegoat at this point, not saying he's infalliable, but he tries his damdest to make PM work even under the tight restrictions of Mario.

Nobody asked him to make Sticker Star like that, true, but people paint him to be literally every ****ing thing wrong with Mario as a whole. Like... can we not do that? Basically the Masuda of PM.

And Miyamoto too, please drop the hate boner for him it has been nearly a decade since he was last involved with the franchise. Grow up.
I’ve been guilty of it.

And it wasn’t cool and I regret everything I said during those days.

So yeah, let’s not do that.

He is definitely trying his best, but IMHO he and the team need to stop putting in turn based battle systems into a game that has no features that make them actually entertaining. He and them have been on point with the rest, though.

Noipoi

Howdy!
For what it's worth, I actually did enjoy ToKs partners. Only 2 were actually new (not counting Olivia), but I did like teaming up with Bowser's army near the end of the game with Kamek, Jr. and then Bowser himself.

Plus, I actually like this chad of a man
View attachment 339518
who's bobby?
Oh no, I like these guys. They’re pretty cool. Bobby included.

But you can just feel the developers trying their best to work around the restrictions, Y’know what I mean?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
My one thing with the new Paper Mario games is I really, really wish we could get stuff like partners again. Not even the mechanic, but unique takes on Mario designs. And new species entirely. Things like that really helped to flesh out the Mario world, and I miss it.

But I know it won’t happen, so Y’know.
Ya see this is my main issue, in the early games Mario's world felt like a real place that felt lived in, and those unique designs were a part of that.
We dont get that anymore, just boring stock Toads with thick white outlines.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I’ve been guilty of it.

And it wasn’t cool and I regret everything I said during those days.

So yeah, let’s not do that.

He is definitely trying his best, but IMHO he and the team need to stop putting in turn based battle systems into a game that has no features that make them actually entertaining. He and them have been on point with the rest, though.
I didn't really mine ToK's dynamic arenas, but mainly for the bosses since they got crazy with the layout and actually put some good puzzle solving elements in the game because of how much they changed the arenas. I do wish it had exp.

That said, SS's and CS's are beyond worth salvaging and I really hope they don't go back to that.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I have no issues with Sora. That’s a great choice.
most people likely don’t, but it seems like nobody else would’ve gotten in after Kazuya with Sora flying into the world.

maybe next game, but the Activision stuff is now ****ing those possibilities up in the short run

MooMew64

I didn't really mine ToK's dynamic arenas, but mainly for the bosses since they got crazy with the layout and actually put some good puzzle solving elements in the game because of how much they changed the arenas. I do wish it had exp.

That said, SS's and CS's are beyond worth salvaging and I really hope they don't go back to that.
‘I still need to finish TOK but from what I’ve seen bosses look fantastic.

I just don’t think an exploration puzzle game should have RPG mook encounters during the exploration segments. It interrupts the whole gameplay loop for battles that get stale fast with no incentive. It’s actually better to avoid fighting most of the time.

TBH I personally would prefer a return of SPM’s simplified over world combat for all the mooks, like how they did for the big paper mache baddies.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
TBH I personally would prefer a return of SPM’s simplified over world combat for all the mooks, like how they did for the big paper mache baddies.
Yeah, here's where I gotta disagree. I'm pretty sure y'all know my thoughts on Super, so I'm not gonna go into a whole essay again.

Unless you mean like a Paper Zelda type deal, which in that case yeah I'm all in.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I want that Pokémon Legends: Arceus-themed Split Pad Pro controller but at the same time I don't need a second Split Pad Pro.

MooMew64

Yeah, here's where I gotta disagree. I'm pretty sure y'all know my thoughts on Super, so I'm not gonna go into a whole essay again.

Unless you mean like a Paper Zelda type deal, which in that case yeah I'm all in.
More Paper Zelda, now that you mention it.

I adore Super but yeah some parts of the game are rough.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
More Paper Zelda, now that you mention it.

I adore Super but yeah some parts of the game are rough.
Like I said, I'd great for one playthrough for the story and the characters, but doing it a 2nd tome and trying to complete the post game is where it gets really not fun. They overdid it with the Pit of 100 trials, 3 of them? C'mon.

That said, if they want a more Symphony of the Night approach, then by all means, go for it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
My only criticism of TOK was the feeling that some characters like the Origami Craftsman Toad or Professor Toad could’ve been unique if whoever was in charge of creative stuff wasn’t so weird. It also feels weird because it doesn’t seem to be that much of a problem for other games, like the M&L remakes still keeping the more-important Toad NPCs that were unique such as Dr. Toadley and that blue dude with the glasses (sorry I forgot his name).

I liked Professor Toad and honestly like generic-looking partners in general like Bobby, but I guess for Professor Toad specifically it did feel like he could’ve had something like what some Toads in older games had besides just the clothes.

Also the box art had me hoping we were going to get THE Toad as a partner and it didn’t happen :c Overall though the game was pretty good, they definitely need to tone down the turn-based puzzle battles and stick mostly to action stuff if they really don’t want it to be an RPG lol.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I attended a voice over workout last night. And now, for the first time, you all will see my face...
That's right, I'm the Knight from Hollow Knight in real life.
tfw you're a voice actor but have no voice to cry out in suffering.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
To this day I wonder how well Super Paper Mario would've been received if the gameplay was an upgraded version of TTYD's turn-based battle system, but the story remained the same.

The story was freaking phenomenal and easily the best in the series. Super's gameplay remains somewhat divisive, but the story is almost unanimously praised, and for good reason.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
To this day I wonder how well Super Paper Mario would've been received if the gameplay was an upgraded version of TTYD's turn-based battle system, but the story remained the same.

The story was freaking phenomenal and easily the best in the series. Super's gameplay remains somewhat divisive, but the story is almost unanimously praised, and for good reason.
It would've been my favorite if it had TTYD gameplay. Even then, it it wanted to be a platformer RPG, then going more of a SoTN route would've also made it my favorite game in the series.

It's a shame it's just stuck in an awkward middle ground because there's a lot of cool characters and concepts that Super had that will never see the light of day again because people couldn't stand the gameplay.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Super is personally my favorite of the Paper Marios.

It’s also my first though so I’m biased and weird:luigi:

I do genuinely like the gameplay, though; yeah there’s some flaws but meh it’s mostly good iirc with maybe some annoying levels (and one dumb thing in a level that required perfect memory or jotting stuff down on paper) but I don’t remember much problems. Three 100 trial things was definitely dumb and annoying, I don’t think I ever beat them.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Geoff finally responded, and quite honestly it’s kinda bad:

-Still has a big time executive at Blizzard on the Board of Advisors.

-Still letting them receive nominations. So the people who have actively participated in harassment( since the legal documents mention how a majority of male employees were involved in active sexual harassment) can get rewarded for their “work”

-I doubt that if Blizzard wins they mention the problems going on there because heaven forbid we lose the advertisers.

-Took almost a full day before Geoff decided to say “we basically didn’t change a thing”

Maybe a hot take, but Blizzard deserves no representation. Your acknowledging them and giving them free advertisements, effectively saying **** off to the employees who protested outside the building and advocated to not play their games. This in turn continues to silence all the people who have been severely mistreated and makes their fight pointless.

The devs in charge don’t deserve recognition. So this is a horrible solution.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
[[Ho, Ho, Ho]]LY CUNGADERO DO I FEEL GOOD. THE POWER OF [[Padoru]] IS SO LIBERATING I COULD [[Jingle All the Way]] [[Right Down Santa Claus Lane!]]. THIS SORT OF POWER IS [[Limited time this holiday season, Order Now!]].

i actually drew this from scratch. pencil outline, then re-clarifying the lines with markers, then using watercolors to paint it, then finally a few digital cleanups. it could be better but i'm satisfied.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Geoff finally responded, and quite honestly it’s kinda bad:

-Still has a big time executive at Blizzard on the Board of Advisors.

-Still letting them receive nominations. So the people who have actively participated in harassment( since the legal documents mention how a majority of male employees were involved in active sexual harassment) can get rewarded for their “work”

-I doubt that if Blizzard wins they mention the problems going on there because heaven forbid we lose the advertisers.

-Took almost a full day before Geoff decided to say “we basically didn’t change a thing”

Maybe a hot take, but Blizzard deserves no representation. Your acknowledging them and giving them free advertisements, effectively saying **** off to the employees who protested outside the building and advocated to not play their games. This in turn continues to silence all the people who have been severely mistreated and makes their fight pointless.

The devs in charge don’t deserve recognition. So this is a horrible solution.
Honestly it isn't surprising imo considering how Roman Polanski had most of his nominations and awards on award shows after he admitted to drugging a ****** a teenager before escaping the country to avoid prison time and for TGA, rewarding abusive workculture with an award for best direction

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Good morning my gamers
Sighs,

Just when Crash was coming back. Now this is going to be what kills him again.

Heck, nintendo was calling them out. This is why he wasn’t in Smash wasn’t it.
No, the drama started way after DLC was decided on which means they were never gonna put him in

Also not gonna lie if your first thoughts on this matter are "Oh no Crash is gonna die again" then you really need to get your priorities straight

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Got 5 drawings finished for my next backlog of drawings. I should have a sketch or two to share in the meantime next week.

Something VERY IMPORTANT is gonna release soon from me on the 15th, so I'm going to PROMOTE IT A LOT! And I hope you guys will like it too.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Good morning my gamers

No, the drama started way after DLC was decided on which means they were never gonna put him in

Also not gonna lie if your first thoughts on this matter are "Oh no Crash is gonna die again" then you really need to get your priorities straight
I’ll prioritize whatever I want to prioritize. I can’t do a god damn thing about weather or not Activision is a horrible company or not. And Activision not being a company won’t stop horrible companies from existing at all. So I’ll try to hang on to one of the few things that actually gives me joy in this world instead of being expected to drop it like the actions of mega corporations can really be influenced by individuals.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Quickly coming by to say that I finished Blaster Master Zero 3!

Fun ass game, while there was some jank & lots of death here and there, just like Metroid/Mega Man, once you get lots of upgrade, it does get easier and easier. That and the checkpoint are pretty forgiving too. (especially since I had on crash on Switch, but thankfully, it wasn't too far from a savepoint)

Kinda wish I played the first game beforehand tho, as the impact of the story would have been even better, but still, as someone who started with BMZ2, I say it was a great final for this trilogy. It's simple all around yeah, but it still got some twist here and there. And god bless Leibniz, edgy rival ************ got some of the best dialogue in the game. Hope he is playable one day.

Not sure what game I start next, I got lots of choices!

Reactions: ---
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom