• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I mean EXP share is just like how they do party members in every other RPG. The only reason people miss not having it is because they started Pokémon without it for some reason.
Sorry man, but that's just being pretty disingenuous and also wrong, as Gen 1 did have an EXP All (albeit in a weaker form), except that back then you:
-didn't have to worry about EVs, be it in the main game or post-game
-was a reward for doing well, so it felt earned
-could just deposit the EXP All in your PC if you don't want to use it, instead of forcing you to juggle your team

Like, nothing wrong with liking the modern EXP Share, but there's literally no reason to not just add an on/off toggle that takes like 5 seconds. It's just taking control away from the player and focing them to play a certain way.

I also don't get the comparison to other RPGs all the time, considering how vastly a monster collecting game differs from your more traditional RPGs. For one, as previously mentioned, the EV system. Not to mention there are actually cases where you don't want your Pokemon to gain EXP, a big example of that being Synchro hunting. The combination of forced EXP and capture EXP makes it so I always have to knock out my Pokemon so they don't overlevel simply because I'm catching something.

Again, people are free to like what they want. If they like the modern EXP Share, that's fine, I don't mind it either. But I'd love to have an actual toggle and there's no reason not to have one, considering Gen 6 and 7 had that. It's just a step back instead of progression (but that's Pokemon in a nutshell most of the time to begin with already).

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
-didn't have to worry about EVs, be it in the main game or post-game
Just to clarify, gen 1 did have EVs, except they were called "stat experience" then and you could maximize every stat instead of having to choose where you want to invest, so you didn't have to worry about getting EVs in the wrong place, but definitely still had to battle a lot to raise the stats to the maximum. Also, you could buy stat experience raising items with regular money on regular shops. Ain't all the fans of gens 2–8 jealous now?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
NASB vs Multiversus vs PSASB vs Rivals of Aether vs Brawlhalla

who will get to be the best Smash game without actually being a Smash game?

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Just to clarify, gen 1 did have EVs, except they were called "stat experience" then and you could maximize every stat instead of having to choose where you want to invest, so you didn't have to worry about getting EVs in the wrong place, but definitely still had to battle a lot to raise the stats to the maximum. Also, you could buy stat experience raising items with regular money on regular shops. Ain't all the fans of gens 2–8 jealous now?
I believe Gen 2 also had the system used in Gen 1, just slightly different. It wasn't until Gen 3 when they made EVs capped at a specific number.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
NASB vs Multiversus vs PSASB vs Rivals of Aether vs Brawlhalla

who will get to be the best Smash game without actually being a Smash game?
I mean

They all do something completely different than each other.

I guess if I had to personally pick a favorite, it'd probably be Rivals die to its extensive modding community that's getting bigger and better every day, but TBH that's just a personal opinion from one who's only played that one out of the four you listed.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Decided to watch the original Die Hard as part of my Christmas movies next month.

Still gonna also do my traditional Krampus and Elf. Kinda counts too since it's set during Christmas but might also watch Shazam!.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Jesus Christ.

Speed, Die Hard, Cliffhanger, Over the Top, Escape from New York.

Where the **** had these films been all my life?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Jesus Christ.

Speed, Die Hard, Cliffhanger, Over the Top, Escape from New York.

Where the **** had these films been all my life?
If you haven't seen it already, watch Commando. It may not be Arnold Schwarzenegger's best movie (my pick for that would be Terminator 2, though Predator's a close second), but it's his most Arnold movie. (also, the one-liners are great, though maybe that's assumed with it being his "most Arnold movie")

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You tellin me you hadn’t seen Die Hard? It’s a holiday classic!
Unfortunately not. Which is why I plan to watch it at the beginning of the December month.

I really missed out on lot of 80s/90s action films. Which is why it's better now than never.
If you haven't seen it already, watch Commando. It may not be Arnold Schwarzenegger's best movie, but it's his most Arnold movie. (also, the one-liners are great, though maybe that's assumed with it being his "most Arnold movie")
I've definitely got that one on my list. ;)

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I prefer the traditional way of playing Pokemon games with no permanent Exp Share because it meant you had to use all your pokemon in order to keep them up to level. I see why people like the new Exp Share but after a certain point I rarely felt the need to grind in most pokemon games anyway - games like Black/White and Sun/Moon (Exp Off) were at that sweet spot where I could get my pokemon up to level just through trainer battles just enough to win but still feel challenged. Black/White also made grinding a lot more efficient and streamlined with Audino and mid route doctors/nurses that could heal your team, although I never really felt the need to take advantage of that.

In Sword/Shield the potential for difficulty is actually there, but you have to actively go out of your way to keep your pokemon from getting overleveled and mitigating any challenge entirely. I don't like that. While its great from players who prefer easier pokemon games (not something I'll mock anyone for, unlike some people) it's a bit disappointing for me.

I hear BDSP manages to be challenging even with the Exp. Share, so I'll reserve judgement on that until I get to try them myself. But the 3DS system where you could turn off the Exp. Share felt like such a good compromise and it's a shame they removed that - what they should have done was make it more clear that the Exp. Share was meant to work as easy/hard mode so players who wanted a challenge knew to turn it off without having to have someone on the internet tell them to.

I suppose it's like casual/classic mode in FE. Casual mode is widely more popular and makes the game far more accessible to new players, but I think classic mode will always be an important feature for veteran fans, even if it's not for everyone.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The Die Hard films and Commando are definitely next on my list of action movies to watch.

On top of that been rather in the mood too to eventually rewatching Deep Rising and Edge of Tomorrow.

Anyways for my month of Christmas movies.

First week: Die Hard
Second week: Shazam! (Technically kinda counts)
Third week: Elf
Fourth week: Krampus

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
New DBS chapter had some neat character moments for Vegeta, both comedic and serious. And the dude Goku's fighting now has a Ki weapon gimmick and that's usually pretty neat.

The KOF15 Beta is starting for those interested. Wish it had Terry or King tho.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I've been running out of things to do in Ultra Moon so I've been grinding all my old fully evolved mons up to or past 50, and giving them good movesets. I have about 30 boxes worth of mons, including NFEs.

I'm nearly out of Pokemon to grind

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I haven't seen Gravity Falls, so I have absolutely no idea what is going on here or why this showed up on my Youtube recommendations.
It's just a normal clip of Weird Al Yankovic defeating J. Jonah Jamesons's gun by blasting White & Nerdy out of his finger tips.

I don't see what's so out of the ordinary?

Last edited:

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Z25 Z25 Wario Bros. Wario Bros. , I've been trying to claim the Brilliant and Shining Leafeon and Glaceon in Xenoverse using the codes on their Youtube channel, but when I enter it it says the codes are not valid. Any idea why this is? And yes I spelt them correctly.
Is this TCG? Codes are single use only, those YT codes don't last one second.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Unfortunately not. Which is why I plan to watch it at the beginning of the December month.

I really missed out on lot of 80s/90s action films. Which is why it's better now than never.

I've definitely got that one on my list. ;)
Ever saw Ernest Saves Christmas?
I watch that film on every other Christmas season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom