• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Well seems despite being the lowest-scored MCU film. Eternals is dominating the box office.

No surprise here, goes to show how popular the MCU is even if it supposedly comes to their weakest films.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
The series has always been cashgrabby lmao. Idk why y'all think this is something new, it's been this way ever since day one with two versions of basically the same game, and then selling the superior definitive edition(s) a year later as the "best" way to play the game, instead of, you know, killing the dual version amd simply releasing the definitice edition. The only ones that didn't do that were B&W (they did sequels), X&Y (there was no definitve version), and, ironically enough, Sword and Shield.
2 version aren't the same though. They usually have different Pokémon and features in either versions. Plus you don't need to buy both version to get the full experience so it isn't really a cashgrab. Plus there was no way of updating and fix issues of previous versions of games back then without definitive editions anyways.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
2 version aren't the same though. They usually have different Pokémon and features in either versions. Plus you don't need to buy both version to get the full experience so it isn't really a cashgrab. Plus there was no way of updating and fix issues of previous versions of games back then without definitive editions anyways.
They are the same game with basically the same story, structure, with some version differences. Some version differences make it that if you want the full experience, you gotta have both versions (B&W did that with the postgame iirc).

But even if they weren't the same, why release the definitive edition a year later instead of simply killing the dual releases and focusing on the one, singular definitive edition? Yes, they couldn't update it, but why even do the dual releases if they're just gonna release the exact same game with all the issues fixed? It's just a cashgrabby money move

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
They are the same game with basically the same story, structure, with some version differences. Some version differences make it that if you want the full experience, you gotta have both versions (B&W did that with the postgame iirc).

But even if they weren't the same, why release the definitive edition a year later instead of simply killing the dual releases and focusing on the one, singular definitive edition? Yes, they couldn't update it, but why even do the dual releases if they're just gonna release the exact same game with all the issues fixed? It's just a cashgrabby money move
You make seem that the issues are placed intentionally when that isn't the case. Something slip through the crack that can be ironed. Dual releases themselves aren't what causes said issues. Also on that note, if do know a definitive version is coming, why not just for that version to come?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
You make seem that the issues are placed intentionally when that isn't the case. Something slip through the crack that can be ironed. Dual releases themselves aren't what causes said issues. Also on that note, if do know a definitive version is coming, why not just for that version to come?
I'm not saying that they intentionally let things slip through the cracks, I'm just saying that having a dual version and then releasing a definitive single edition 1-2 years later is the pure definition of cashgrabby. Sure, the issues in the dual version may not be known to them until it's too late, but if they were planning on fixing the issues (which they do plan far in advance, it's not like they simply do this on a whim) in an updated release, then again, why release the inferior 2 versions instead of holding off and releasing the one better version? Either that's bad time management on TPC/GF's end or they simply want fans to buy both a dual version and then the "fixed" version with their gripes mitigated. And they did this up until Gen 8, it's not like Ultra SuMo couldn't have been DLC, but they were arguably the most cashgrabby Pokemon game of them all.

By definition, that's pure cashgrab. If Capcom gets **** for the endless amounts of SF2 and how they're all the same but with minor updates, then so should Pokemon with the 3rd versions. It's the same deal, but with a different brand.

And as for the just wait argument, that totally went well for Gen 6 and Gen 8.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I will defend dual releases as they're to encourage social interaction. Pokemon was meant to be trading first and foremost and while it went on to be far more then that, getting kids on the playground to talk is still a part of pokemon's identity. Heck, growing up as an autistic kid who had a hard time making friends, the social aspect of pokemon was a HUGE part of my childhood.

Third versions are really cashgrabby though. While the improvements are usually welcome ones, they are still polishing the same game they just tried to sell you a year ago a bit more then slapping a new label on it. And considering how 3rd versions still tended to sell well, they made a TON of money for just a fraction of the effort. And they continued this into Gen 7 where an update or DLC could have been feasible. Heck they could've made a Pokemon Gun if they wanted and made way more money (and maybe even have more leeway to fix some optimization improvements to The Wild Area) so it was really surprising when they didn't.
Also on that note, if do know a definitive version is coming, why not just for that version to come?
The fact that someone with the proper foresight could outwit a cashgrab doesn't change that it's a cashgrab. Besides, when I got my copy of Pokemon Sapphire as a kid I had no idea that there was a superior version.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I mean, I wanted SuMo so badly, and I super happy that I got it for Christmas, only for thek to release Ultra a year later. That actually pissed me off, and because of that, I never got Ultra. Never bothered to check the release cycle, never got into the hype. It burned me.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
BDSP is exactly what it should be. A remake. Last remake was goddamn ORAS. You want that again? Get outta here.
This is exactly what people screamed at the rooftops for, to the letter; faithful Sinnoh remakes that don't look like SwSh. And now suddenly that's bad.

Meanwhile, I'm very cautiously optimistic about Legends. Sword and Shield was a dumpster fire but that was largely a result of TPC not giving Game Freak enough time to make a decent product; Game Freak isn't incompetent, they know how to make a banger, they've done it before.
It seems like they've been taking their time this go around - hopefully having been allowed to. And a lot of the ideas being put forth show a lot of promise. We'll have to see but I feel like it just might be a hit.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
BDSP is exactly what it should be. A remake. Last remake was goddamn ORAS. You want that again? Get outta here.
This is exactly what people screamed at the rooftops for, to the letter; faithful Sinnoh remakes that don't look like SwSh. And now suddenly that's bad.
To be fair one of the biggest critisism of ORAS was how they cut The Battle Frontier, which was Emerald content.

Also I liked ORAS.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Well seems despite being the lowest-scored MCU film. Eternals is dominating the box office.

No surprise here, goes to show how popular the MCU is even if it supposedly comes to their weakest films.
The real test is to see whether the Eternals will have the legs within its 45-day theatrical and box office run.

Jondolio

Smash Hero

Meanwhile, I'm very cautiously optimistic about Legends. Sword and Shield was a dumpster fire but that was largely a result of TPC not giving Game Freak enough time to make a decent product; Game Freak isn't incompetent, they know how to make a banger, they've done it before.
It seems like they've been taking their time this go around - hopefully having been allowed to. And a lot of the ideas being put forth show a lot of promise. We'll have to see but I feel like it just might be a hit.
The problem is that they removed some of the best improvements from Platinum and reversed one of the best quality of life changes from Gen 5 for no reason whatsoever

Also it's 60 bucks

also i stand by the fact that the game that gave us zinnia is good

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Now rumors are saying that
Gym Leaders are rematchable with max IVs and EVs and with Plat teams?

Well, we won't know because Nintendo nuked the leaker so everyone's scrambing
That's cool and all but they should've had the Plat teams to begin with

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
That's cool and all but they should've had the Plat teams to begin with
Chances are, the Plat stuff is all postgame. Not a bad idea imo, bit again, we don't know.

Now, on some bigger stufd, another rumor (from the same supposed leaker) is saying No full on distortion world, but apparently Giratina is still there AND it connects to PLA in some major way. But the labyrinth is still there? Possibly? Idk, I didn't get a good read it's confusing as ****.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I will defend dual releases as they're to encourage social interaction. Pokemon was meant to be trading first and foremost and while it went on to be far more then that, getting kids on the playground to talk is still a part of pokemon's identity. Heck, growing up as an autistic kid who had a hard time making friends, the social aspect of pokemon was a HUGE part of my childhood.

Third versions are really cashgrabby though. While the improvements are usually welcome ones, they are still polishing the same game they just tried to sell you a year ago a bit more then slapping a new label on it. And considering how 3rd versions still tended to sell well, they made a TON of money for just a fraction of the effort. And they continued this into Gen 7 where an update or DLC could have been feasible. Heck they could've made a Pokemon Gun if they wanted and made way more money (and maybe even have more leeway to fix some optimization improvements to The Wild Area) so it was really surprising when they didn't.

The fact that someone with the proper foresight could outwit a cashgrab doesn't change that it's a cashgrab. Besides, when I got my copy of Pokemon Sapphire as a kid I had no idea that there was a superior version.
Dual releases had a purpose, but with the increasing use of the internet they honestly should've been phased out around Gen 5 or Gen 6. Version exclusives and minor differences have no place when you can just hit up r/PokemonTrades (or whatever it's called) or hit up a friend on Discord and get the other game's exclusives in a day. At this point dual releases are more about series tradition and cash grabs, and they should honestly be done away with for a single, definitive experience. Kids can still play together on the playground with a single Pokémon game. Maybe have exclusives be tied to trainer ID or some other random data in the game (like Platinum did with the fossils) to encourage that, but there's little reason to keep them in my opinion.
I mean, I wanted SuMo so badly, and I super happy that I got it for Christmas, only for thek to release Ultra a year later. That actually pissed me off, and because of that, I never got Ultra. Never bothered to check the release cycle, never got into the hype. It burned me.
Ain't that a mood. I don't think I ever bought either of the Ultra games, instead LEGALLY ACQUIRING them. They're still one of my least favorite games in the series for how they butchered Sun & Moon's story, though I do appreciate the added difficulty.
ORAS at least added on to the Hoenn Experience via more Megas, Soaring, the DexNav, and the Delta Episode (also introducing modern features such as the Physical/Special Split and Fairy Type that Hoenn didn't have). Yeah cutting the Battle Frontier due to laziness sucked, but ORAS added to Hoenn in meaningful ways, and also re-introduced the most kino champion, Steven Stone (who is WAY better than Cynthia do not @ me), in what could be considered the definitive edition of Hoenn.

BDSP is a monkey's paw of Game Freak listening too hard to people wanting a faithful Sinnoh remake. People always wanted the Platinum improvements and further QoL changes and additions. They just didn't want Game Freak to **** it up like they typically do. So, Game Freak overcorrected and now we have remakes that add nothing and could genuinely be argued as inferior to Platinum.

With Legends so close, I'll just wait for that instead of shelling out a full $60 for essentially the same experience that I can get on an emulator for free.

Basically, I'm not going anywhere lmao.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
That's what I find funny about all this. We will never know what's in the post game of BDSP because Nintendo nuked the leaker as soon as he beat the game.

Some alleged leakers are saying it's rich in Postgame content, others are doubtful, nobody knows wtf iis going on.

Just another day in the Pokemon fandom

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

When people want remakes, they never mean 1 to 1, otherwise you could simply do with a port, they want improvements that fixes issues people had alongside all the QoL stuff that later games introduced to make the adventure better. Instead we get straight copies of DP without the enhancements Platinum brought to the table that made the games so much better and they went out if their way to remove the best QoL addition since DP

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And now we got leakers with questionable reputations questioning leakers with questionable reputations.

Pokemon is BACK baybee.

WE GOT AN ACTUAL LEAK OF SUBSTANCE
View attachment 337124

This park wasn't in D&P... I think.

But we still don't know what it is lmao.
It's Pal Park, though obviously reworked

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
And now we got leakers with questionable reputations questioning leakers with questionable reputations.

Pokemon is BACK baybee.

View attachment 337124

BASED POKEY MASTA RETURNS

love this dude. a true leaker instead of a BS pseudo-insider

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Out of all the books I am listening to while I work for my LXG project. I didn’t expect Moby Friggin **** to be the longest. Seriously most of them the file is like 11 hours long at max and then here comes Herman Melville with a 24 hour long recording.

And so little happens in the book oh my word for every chapter of plot there’s 5 explaining whale anatomy and bragging about how great whalers are (that aged well didn’t it Herman). It’s maddening! 4/10. Moby **** Sucks.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord

Pokemon is BACK baybee.

View attachment 337124

Information on the new name of this location from Wikipedia
Rosa rugosa is naturalized in many parts of Europe, and it is considered an invasive species in some habitats, particularly in seashores of Northern Europe. It was first introduced into England from Japan in 1796, and then in Germany in 1845. This was the first presence of the flower within the European continent. In 1875, Rosa rugosa was found in Denmark and then in Sweden in 1918. By 2001, the flower species had become well established within 61 European countries.

Edit: Nevermind, it's just a symbol of Hokkaido, the area of Japan Sinnoh is based on.

Edit 2: A funny, but the ramanas rose is literally called "Kartoffel-Rose" in German.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
can’t believe the fools in China took this long to accept a Phase 4 movie to their country

YALL NEED 2 B STOP BEING SO SENSITIVE OVER THERE

out here missing out on awesome stuff

osby

Smash Obsessed
can’t believe the fools in China took this long to accept a Phase 4 movie to their country

We're talking about censorship committees, their job is to make people miss out on awesome stuff.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Welp, I guess that's the end of the leaks lmao, I guess they gotta wait for the Day 1 patch for anything else.

Eh, again didn't really change my perpective on anything. I knew they were playing the faithful aspect of it a lot, so most of this stuff isn't a shock to me. I'll probably still get it for Christmas or something, it's not a must have but it sounds like a nice little harmless distraction.

Are the Pokemon fans ok tho?

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I just wish the Pokemon fandom wasn't so damn reactionary. I'm not saying to (not) be critical or anything, but damn they really are slamming people for dare having a different opinion that's not their own biases.

Like, let people make their own choices on how they want to procees with the series. Not everybody's a mindless drone nor a red-seeing hater

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Welp, I guess that's the end of the leaks lmao, I guess they gotta wait for the Day 1 patch for anything else.

Eh, again didn't really change my perpective on anything. I knew they were playing the faithful aspect of it a lot, so most of this stuff isn't a shock to me. I'll probably still get it for Christmas or something, it's not a must have but it sounds like a nice little harmless distraction.

Are the Pokemon fans ok tho?
no lmao

We're at that point of the cycle where people hate everything and everyone.

Which I guess is all the time but that's besides the point.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
OK.

So I know politics isn't allowed (and mostly gets buried for both good and bad) but has anyone been reading or watching the conference on climate change in Glasgow?

Watched Obama's speech on today and man it hit really hard some of the stuff he said. Was great to watch and all about climate change but makes me a bit worried. Too many levers in the room of humanity.

Wait til you hear about them killing their games industry as fast as it grew.

We're talking about censorship committees, their job is to make people miss out on awesome stuff.
AKA we are so, so paranoid and think having something like a female looking man = being a threat to the supreme leader. Just remember this.

Noipoi

Howdy!
OK.

So I know politics isn't allowed (and mostly gets buried for both good and bad) but has anyone been reading or watching the conference on climate change in Glasgow?

Watched Obama's speech on today and man it hit really hard some of the stuff he said. Was great to watch and all about climate change but makes me a bit worried. Too many levers in the room of humanity.
It just bums me out

For as much as we normal people can do to help, the people doing the most damage won’t quit cuz they’re making millions off the destruction of the planet.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Still not done, but figure I share what I been losing my sanity time over.

New one:
Screen Shot 11-08-21 at 08.23 PM.PNG
Old ones:
Screen Shot 10-26-21 at 10.51 PM 002.PNG Screen Shot 08-31-21 at 09.36 PM.PNG
featureing other cameos.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
To every American on this forum who hasn't played this and has a Switch (with online): There is no excuse to play this amazing game. Lamperouge Lamperouge I remember you told me you wanted to try it so this is your chance. You still have my word on what I think of it.

Set to easy mode, handheld and play it for the story as it has one of the best stories and soundtracks in game. Gameplay is messy in docked but touch is fine, set to easy and it becomes a walk in the park mostly (two end bosses excluded).

I would tag a lot more of you but I don't know who has and not played it. If you haven't try it. It's worth it. Doubly so for Persona 5 fans on a thematic level.

It just bums me out

For as much as we normal people can do to help, the people doing the most damage won’t quit cuz they’re making millions off the destruction of the planet.
I know and it's part of why I've kinda trying to cut corners and snake my way to travelling through Europe and Asia. I don't want to be travelling in my 30s or 40s as the world's burning. Just depressing, not to mention so many other issues. Feels like the ones doing the most damage doesn't seen anyone else as human.

Even worse when it's reported that the fossil fuel industry sent a delegation larger than any other country to the conference itself makes people lose belief more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom