• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This isn't the Dev's fault by any means, but to me, it seems like Nick never intended this game to actually get this sort of attention and for it to just be akin to their Kart Racer as a sort of "It exists" deal.
Nick was kind of weird about it in the first place. They didn't give Ludosity anywhere near the same amount of time or budget as SSBU, and according to Ludosity their roster choices were extremely boring and Ludosity had to beg for months to add characters they found more interesting, yet apparently they always wanted it to be an esport?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I enjoy NASB and don't regret the purchase. With that said, I can see why it died down so fast. I do think a lot of people joined on the hype train partially because of the memes and the sheer initial hilarity of it. But once the initial excitement dwindled and people got their hands on the game they realized that it's not exactly a $50 game.

As someone who played the flash games (Super Brawl 2 in particular was great), this game doesn't feel a whole lot better than those. Sure, the movesets are more fleshed out, the animations are better, and the graphics look a little more appealing. But honestly this game only feels one step up from a flash game, especially with the content. There is CPU battles, local play, online play, arcade....um and also gallery and the jukebox. Not much to play around with. While this may not be as big of a deal breaker with bigger games that have better marketing and higher quality presentations, for a game on this scale, it could use more of an omph when it comes to content. Sure there are some more characters coming but that might not be enough.

Basically, this game reeks of a low budget licensed game, just like many of its kind. The big difference is that the team did have passion for this project and it showed with stuff like the music, movesets referencing memes and moments from the shows, and overall community engagement. They just shot themselves in the foot by announcing the Avatar characters not only after they got leaked like over 5 times, but also during a random Japanese show just a few days before the game's release. Considering that Avatar is one of Nick's biggest successes, this is just a big facepalm moment.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I've had a good amount of fun in NASB. Though, I definitely don't see that much talk on it anymore. I do know it has a competitive scene that's keeping it alive somewhat. Hopefully the upcoming character additions will continue to bring in hype.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Today I don't feel like doing anything
I just wanna lay in my bed
Don't feel like picking up my phone, so leave a message at the tone
'Cause today I swear I'm not doing anything

I'm gonna kick my feet up, then stare at the fan
Turn the TV on, throw my hand in my pants
Nobody's gon' tell me I can't, no!

I'll be lounging on the couch, just chilling in my Snuggie
Click to MTV, so they can teach me how to dougie
'Cause in my castle I'm the freaking man

Oh Yes! I said it, I said it, I said it 'cause I can

Today...
You just reminded me Bae sang this song on Hololive lol

Shroob

Sup?
But yeah.

I feel bad for the devs more than anything. You can tell they're doing their absolute best with what they got, but at the end of the day, they're a small studio without the clout that someone like Sakurai has. I can see their vision, but references in moves can really only go soo far. When I pick Spongebob, having him just be mute and no "I'mmmmmmmmmmm ready!" is just frankly jarring, and while I don't blame them, I do blame Nick for not giving them anywhere near the budget or rights to include things like iconic sound effects, music, and voice acting.

MooMew64

But yeah.

I feel bad for the devs more than anything. You can tell they're doing their absolute best with what they got, but at the end of the day, they're a small studio without the clout that someone like Sakurai has. I can see their vision, but references in moves can really only go soo far. When I pick Spongebob, having him just be mute and no "I'mmmmmmmmmmm ready!" is just frankly jarring, and while I don't blame them, I do blame Nick for not giving them anywhere near the budget or rights to include things like iconic sound effects, music, and voice acting.
Mods help that area a ton but that's only on Steam.

I wonder if the mods are part of why the devs very much tried to steer people towards that version.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I do hope the game goes through a "Battle for the Grid"-style glowup

But

Saying that, there's an issue

Dunno if you've seen Battle for the Grid's player count but, despite the game being in a great state after like a year of extended dev time, well, at least on Steam?

View attachment 335401

That's a bit of a yikes.
While BFTG has gotten a glowup, I've heard it's a bit too touch-of-death focused even for MvC and FighterZ fans. That might be the issue.

Shroob

Sup?
While BFTG has gotten a glowup, I've heard it's a bit too touch-of-death focused even for MvC and FighterZ fans. That might be the issue.
I mean, MvsC3 is quite literally a touch of death game due to X-Factor and characters like Vergil, so I'm a bit dubious on claims of that.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
But yeah.

Gonna say a scalding hot take, but to me, NASB feels like it was a budget game, that got elevated to something that it could never live up to in its current state.

When I look at Nick All Stars Brawl, I really do get excited, because I grew up with almost all of these shows, but, then the game starts and there's just, no soul to it. No sounds that I'd expect the characters to make, no voices, no iconic music, it just feels soo quiet for a wacky, slapstick cartoon fighting game.

This isn't the Dev's fault by any means, but to me, it seems like Nick never intended this game to actually get this sort of attention and for it to just be akin to their Kart Racer as a sort of "It exists" deal.

I do want the game to succeed, because, why wouldn't I? But unless there's some major revisions, I just don't see a super bright future tbh. Like, people bring up the Power Rangers game, and, while yeah the updates did make that game a million times better, it's ridiculously niche as hell. I don't see a future where NASB becomes super mainstream unless Nick is willing to dump serious cash into it, and I fear that they may just settle for "Just toss DLC characters at them."
Honestly, I agree. The game seriously feels like it was held back by its budget. Though I will say, the one thing that sets this apart from the other Nickelodeon games for me is the fact that NASB seems to have been developed by a team that genuinely wanted to do the best with what they hand, and not make something of like, Garfield Kart quality. So I will give them that!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean, MvsC3 is quite literally a touch of death game due to X-Factor and characters like Vergil, so I'm a bit dubious on claims of that.
Hey, it's just what I've heard, I haven't actually played the game.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yo, my copy of Super Robot Wars 30 just shipped from Playasia! Now i just gotta wait til likeDecember to play the game lol

Finished Olympus Colyseum, but I didn’t seal the keyhole there and pop the achievement so I guess that will only happen after I go back and beat the optional cups (bum bum bum bum dunudunudunudunu). Was Hercules voiced by Sean Astin in the movie? Cause that was clearly him doing it here. Also I get that the cast of 7R is new and this was one of the first times the old guy ever played Cloud at all but that just did not sound right. Eh. Good world. On to Tarzan. I actually haven’t seen that one but I know the jist.
Yep, the Olympus keyhole is only closed when your at the Hollow Bastion portion of the story.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It'd be best to do your research then.

This isn't even an optimal combo in UMvsC3 btw

Vergil alone can basically loop someone to death without being able to touch him.
The game I haven't played was BftG, not MvC3.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I could never get into UMVC3 as much as I wanted too, One hits just aren’t something I can stomach for very long. Also I refuse to play without Shuma Gorath and he doesn’t stack up well compared to the other fighters. Guess that’s on me.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
After not getting a single new Capcom character during this DLC cyce for Ultimate, I have a new-found appreciation for UMvC3. At least in that we can live out our dreams of having a lawyer, kickass journalist who fights zombies, and "What am I fighting for?!" guy team up to fight a muscular mayor in trousers, an elemental doggo, and a short knight who goes around throwing knifes.

MooMew64

I'm not gonna lie and say I felt agony, but when Octoling was Mii Costumed I will say I did feel a twinge of something
TBH I wasn't even sad, I was glad it was at least something.

I'm a bit disappointed it's only a hat, though. No body is super weird, especially 'cause it's the enemy variant.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
TBH I wasn't even sad, I was glad it was at least something.

I'm a bit disappointed it's only a hat, though. No body is super weird, especially 'cause it's the enemy variant.
Tbh, I was hoping it was the player variant of Octolings.

Because I use the Octoling girl in Splatoon. I prefer her design

MooMew64

Tbh, I was hoping it was the player variant of Octolings.

Because I use the Octoling girl in Splatoon. I prefer her design
Same. It's a huge bummer, the enemy variant doesn't pair well with a lot of the bodies available for the Miis. The player hair woulda had more cosmetic synergy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Man tho

almost all the content in Ultimate is of the OG Splatoon

Squid Sisters Miis and AT, Enemy Octoling hat, Li’l Judd is only a stage cameo, the spirits of Off the Hook and the OE octolings are based straight off their amiibos

at least we got SOME Off the Hook music

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Man tho

almost all the content in Ultimate is of the OG Splatoon

Squid Sisters Miis and AT, Enemy Octoling hat, Li’l Judd is only a stage cameo, the spirits of Off the Hook and the OE octolings are based straight off their amiibos

at least we got SOME Off the Hook music
I can't really say I didn't expect it because Sploon 2 was probably far too recent for anything of major substance to materialize in Smash. At least we got the 2 versions of Inklings... as Mii Costumes. And they're horrifying.

Funny, because despite all that Splatoon 1 is actually ****ing unplayable nowadays. **** is worse than TF2

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I can't really say I didn't expect it because Sploon 2 was probably far too recent for anything of major substance to materialize in Smash. At least we got the 2 versions of Inklings... as Mii Costumes. And they're horrifying.

Funny, because despite all that Splatoon 1 is actually *ing unplayable nowadays. * is worse than TF2
With Ultimate being the first Smash to have Splatoon content beyond Mii costumes, they probably wanted to start with the first game in the first place. Similarly to how Marth was the first FE rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom