• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Van Helsing is a nutcase. I swear. 16 chapters into this book and they keep going on about purity and devils and like I know I’m not religious and this book was written in the 19th century and I’ve been raised on “vampires are people too” stories but like god damn it’s really hard to not “both sides” this book pretty hard.
That bites.

Shroob

Sup?
Van Helsing is a nutcase. I swear. 16 chapters into this book and they keep going on about purity and devils and like I know I’m not religious and this book was written in the 19th century and I’ve been raised on “vampires are people too” stories but like god damn it’s really hard to not “both sides” this book pretty hard.
I mean, in the context of the story, vampires are quite literally evil so... Dracula's not really written to be a character the reader is supposed to relate with, he's a monster, literally.

It's only later on that vampires were characterized as more than hellspawn bloodsuckers.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, in the context of the story, vampires are quite literally evil so... Dracula's not really written to be a character the reader is supposed to relate with, he's a monster, literally.

It's only later on that vampires were characterized as more than hellspawn bloodsuckers.
You mean the context of the ravings of Van Helsing and the express actions of one very evil vampire and his minions.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Snake, you're reading too deep into things lol.
I’m just saying the constant talk of purity and devils is putting me off. Not to mention the constant sexism.

Like. I know it’s the era. But For context. I just also listened to King Solomon’s Mines, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Invisible Man, and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. And it’s certainly not as bad in those as it is in Dracula. And it gives Van Helsing the heir of a crooked politician using the actions of one minority crime syndicate to demonize the entire race to a conservatively primed populace he knows will be receptive to it.

Shroob

Sup?
I’m just saying the constant talk of purity and devils is putting me off. Not to mention the constant sexism.

Like. I know it’s the era. But For context. I just also listened to King Solomon’s Mines, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Invisible Man, and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. And it’s certainly not as bad in those as it is in Dracula. And it gives Van Helsing the heir of a crooked politician using the actions of one minority crime syndicate to demonize the entire race to a conservatively primed populace he knows will be receptive to it.
Again I kinda think you're reading too deep into things but eh :dr^_^:

Roguewolf

Smash Lord

Wow can’t believe shroobs secretly a vampire hunter

osby

Smash Obsessed

Vampires were strictly religious creatures at the time, not much you can do about it. Van Helsing was being perfectly logical when he talks about the inherent evilness of the vampires because it's true. Still, characters still find Lucy's death tragic, showing that the reason the other vampires are considered malicious is that they are conscious of their actions.

As for sexism, I'd say Dracula is pretty fair for its day. Mina is presented as a pretty rational and intelligent character that only gets left behind because the men in the book incorrectly assume she's too fragile.

Also,
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea,
Maybe be cautious about Verne's other books. Like, I loved Off on a Comet as a kid but looking back, it's one of the most anti-semitic books I've ever read.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Vampires were strictly religious creatures at the time, not much you can do about it. Van Helsing was being perfectly logical when he talks about the inherent evilness of the vampires because it's true. Still, characters still find Lucy's death tragic, showing that the reason the other vampires are considered malicious is that they are conscious of their actions.

As for sexism, I'd say Dracula is pretty fair for its day. Mina is presented as a pretty rational and intelligent character that only gets left behind because the men in the book incorrectly assume she's too fragile.

Also,

Maybe be cautious about Verne's other books. Like, I loved Off on a Comet as a kid but looking back, it's one of the most anti-semitic books I've ever read.
I definitely agree. There’s just only so much of men assuming women are fragile I can take, regardless of how she actually acts in the face of it.

And as for Helsing. I just kind of want to see how he’d react if he’d met a vampire who only drank from animals and also how many of those superstitions he’s proffering are just stereotypes (like. If he can’t cross running water then how did he cross the ocean on that boat? I’m surprised the dirt thing was real).

There’s just certain unavoidable contexts I’m going into this book with that are affecting how I interpret the narrative…. I think that’s part of being human. You might be able to guess one of those context just by association of the five books I’ve already named.

And I didn’t plan to read any of Verne’s other books. Most of my ventures into old literature will be coming from H. Rider Haggard, HG Wells, and a few other scattered authors.

Shroob

Sup?
I definitely agree. There’s just only so much of men assuming women are fragile I can take, regardless of how she actually acts in the face of it.

And as for Helsing. I just kind of want to see how he’d react if he’d met a vampire who only drank from animals and also how many of those superstitions he’s proffering are just stereotypes (like. If he can’t cross running water then how did he cross the ocean on that boat? I’m surprised the dirt thing was real).

There’s just certain unavoidable contexts I’m going into this book with that are affecting how I interpret the narrative…. I think that’s part of being human. You might be able to guess one of those context just by association of the five books I’ve already named.

And I didn’t plan to read any of Verne’s other books. Most of my ventures into old literature will be coming from H. Rider Haggard, HG Wells, and a few other scattered authors.
I mean, aren't you kinda applying modern interpretations of a concept to basically its first ever outing? You kinda have to divorce what you know when you read something that's basically the grandfather of the concept.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, aren't you kinda applying modern interpretations of a concept to basically its first ever outing? You kinda have to divorce what you know when you read something that's basically the grandfather of the concept.
Wow this is the exact same argument I got when I played Mario 64. And I find it equally bull. But I will say Dracula is still an enjoyable book. Especially since books lead themselves so well to interpretation.

Shroob

Sup?
Wow this is the exact same argument I got when I played Mario 64. And I find it equally bull.
I mean, you're trying to say that "Well not all vampires are bad" because of a modern interpretation of them.

When back then, vampires were written to be inherently evil with zero redeeming qualities. You can't really go into a book from the 19th century and expect modern day ideals.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Wow this is the exact same argument I got when I played Mario 64. And I find it equally bull. But I will say Dracula is still an enjoyable book. Especially since books lead themselves so well to interpretation.
Well, yknow.

The idea of a not so bad vampire is an exploration of the original concept.

The concept introduced in this book. The first of its kind. Not to mention it was kinda 200 years ago.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think people tend to forget this but Dracula was actually supposed to deconstruction of the gothic horror genre when it was first published. It's just hard to appreciate how innovative the book was after over a century and with it being one of the few survivors of its genre.

Though, I agree with Snake that you should be able to judge a book by modern standards on stuff like sexism in the novel. I just don't find it fair to say the book is being close-minded in terms of vampires... as weird as it sounds lmao.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well, yknow.

The idea of a not so bad vampire is an exploration of the original concept.

The concept introduced in this book. The first of its kind. Not to mention it was kinda 200 years ago.
I feel like I’m talking to stones here. Should not our interpretations and opinions of literature change and grow, as humanity changes and grows and the world changes and grows around it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom