• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Was it that GF stopped caring or was it that the yearly cycle of making mainline Pokemon games was catching up to them and they couldn't keep up for much longer with unrealistic deadlines set by TPC with the ever expanding handhelds and consoles?
This. ☝

Honestly I also think GF just isn't equipped to make HD titles on their own.

They've spent 99% of their company's time in game development making games for hardware extremely outdated in nearly every generation, and didn't even touch 3D until the 3DS, which they were clearly showing that they were already having trouble figuring out how to do after making 2D and sprite based games for forever, and then they got thrown onto the Switch and told to make an HD Pokémon and have it ready for the anime and merch with no delays.

This is part of why I think TPC and Nintendo moved them into Nintendo's HQ building: They desperately need help, especially if TPC and Nintendo want them to meet their already insane deadlines.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Was it that GF stopped caring or was it that the yearly cycle of making mainline Pokemon games was catching up to them and they couldn't keep up for much longer with unrealistic deadlines set by TPC with the ever expanding handhelds and consoles?
Why understand how much of a crapshoot game development can be when I can just spout toxic "lazy devs" rhetoric?:4wario2:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Why understand how much of a crapshoot game development can be when I can just spout toxic "lazy devs" rhetoric?:4wario2:
Remember, the devs always have to listen to the execs. If the execs give a deadline with no chance of delays, then that's how it is. It a harsh reality, but the moment people stop blaming the devs is the moment we can go somewhere with this

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Remember, the devs always have to listen to the execs. If the execs give a deadline with no chance of delays, then that's how it is. It a harsh reality, but the moment people stop blaming the devs is the moment we can go somewhere with this
It's mainly why fangames are better, they have the time to actually make the game proper.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It's mainly why fangames are better, they have the time to actually make the game proper.
As true as that is, there's also the main drawback of dev timw is gonna take forever because of a smaller team.

And of course, there are indie studios with higher ups that are utter ***** to their team. Remember, the issues start at a ground level going up.

MooMew64

I wouldn't go that far.

As probably the site's biggest advocate for emulation, fangames, mods, and ROM hacks, they all suffer from inherent flaws of 99% of them being made by students, who don't have nearly the same understanding, tools, or experience as seasoned veterans. As such, they all suffer from an inherent lack of polish.

They also cannot be funded in any way, which means that teams have to use their own free time to put in their blood, sweat, and tears for something that will at best only get them some internet points and gratitude from people who enjoy their game. As such, most aren't gonna take it as seriously as someone who's doing it for a living, and as such you're gonna have to wait almost half a decade or more for any fangame to get anywhere meaningful depending on what kind of game it is. Sometimes even longer.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I downloaded the fan translation for Super Robot Wars Judgement on the GBA, Since GBA games are the easiest to emulate.

Having to adjust to the older games is weird after having played the newest ones.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I wouldn't go that far.

As probably the site's biggest advocate for emulation, fangames, mods, and ROM hacks, they all suffer from inherent flaws of 99% of them being made by students, who don't have nearly the same understanding, tools, or experience as seasoned veterans. As such, they all suffer from an inherent lack of polish.

They also cannot be funded in any way, which means that teams have to use their own free time to put in their blood, sweat, and tears for something that will at best only get them some internet points and gratitude from people who enjoy their game. As such, most aren't gonna take it as seriously as someone who's doing it for a living, and as such you're gonna have to wait almost half a decade or more for any fangame to get anywhere meaningful depending on what kind of game it is. Sometimes even longer.
Yeah I probably should've been more clear with my statement. I meant some more than others, as the smaller dev team does make them take far longer to produce. But if the right people make it, they can make fantastic games better than the OG company.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Maybe it's me being too cynical or somethin', but I feel some peoples would probably prefer a franchise not improving and keep ****ing up here and there so that they can have a easy punch-bag to get internet points or the like.

Not saying everyone who criticise games/media are like this of course, but sometime....it really make you wonder.

MooMew64

Yeah I probably should've been more clear with my statement. I meant some more than others, as the smaller dev team does make them take far longer to produce. But if the right people make it, they can make fantastic games better than the OG company.
Honestly, I've personally yet to play a ROM Hack or fangame I thought was better than something I paid for in Nintendo's case. Only one I can think of that comes somewhat close is maybe Mario 64 Star Road, but even then that hack suffers from the same critical flaws all ROM Hack creators fall into with Mario 64: Trying to put precision platforming segments into a game that was never made for that.

Now Sonic? Yeah, that's where you can find the good stuff: Sonic World is an excellent game that's only flaw is slightly rough presentation, SRB2 Kart honestly rivals Mario Kart 8 for best kart racer, and base SRB2 is probably the most impressive thing I've ever seen a fangame do. Not to mention Project 06, where you can play a full on remake of Sonic 06 that makes it actually playable, and like, really good.

Last edited:

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think it's more so the latter, not that even the most heralded games had their flaws or dumb design decisions.

The last decade of Pokemon has seen the need for Game Freak to turn out games at a faster pace than before and force them to adapt to newer systems faster too. The 2000s was really just 3-4 years of GBA followed by almost a full decade of work on the DS.*

*Gen 2 was designed to still work for the original GB, and came out in 1999. DP was first announced in 2004.

Call me bias, but I always think back to the Adventures/Special manga as the canary in the coal mine. The even smaller team of authors went from juggling ~2 starting/ending stories to 3~4 continuing stories come 2016. It took 8 years to finish the story of B2W2, and by then they had recently started the story of SwSh. Needless to say B2W2/XY/ORAS/SM & USUM aren't the most well regarded.

Maybe it's me being too cynical or somethin', but I feel some peoples would probably prefer a franchise not improving and keep ****ing up here and there so that they can have a easy punch-bag to get internet points or the like.

Not saying everyone who criticise games/media are like this of course, but sometime....it really make you wonder.
You pretty much define the Mega Man fanbase in a nutshell. We don't like a large amout of change if at all and when Capcom messes up they mess up hard. :mega:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was always a fan of Double Dragon. I love the lyrics of this. The 1980s had lovely music and it's my favorite era.

MooMew64

Man, Noipoi Noipoi 's missin' out on a Pokémon conversation.

Honestly? Pokémon has always had questionable design decisions, it's just people only just started realizing on the 3DS. It's really a series you have to take at face value and accept it for what it is or move on to something else.

I personally adore the series for having chill gameplay, awesome designs, and music, but a lot of people needs something more, and that's cool. Heck, part of why I started nuzlocking the games is because sometimes, I want a bit more oomph to the experience as well, and playing it that way certainly helps. However, again, not everyone wants to use self-imposed challenges to make something more interesting, they'd rather that was baked in.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I think it's more so the latter, not that even the most heralded games had their flaws or dumb design decisions.

The last decade of Pokemon has seen the need for Game Freak to turn out games at a faster pace than before and force them to adapt to newer systems faster too. The 2000s was really just 3-4 years of GBA followed by almost a full decade of work on the DS.*

*Gen 2 was designed to still work for the original GB, and came out in 1999. DP was first announced in 2004.

Call me bias, but I always think back to the Adventures/Special manga as the canary in the coal mine. The even smaller team of authors went from juggling ~2 starting/ending stories to 3~4 continuing stories come 2016. It took 8 years to finish the story of B2W2, and by then they had recently started the story of SwSh. Needless to say B2W2/XY/ORAS/SM & USUM aren't the most well regarded.

You pretty much define the Mega Man fanbase in a nutshell. We don't like a large amout of change if at all and when Capcom messes up they mess up hard. :mega:
I mean, the Mega Man franchise as a ton of sub-series, and I bet for most of them, you can at least point out 1 game that Capcom really drop the ball(The X series notably having a dive in quality starting from X5, all the way to X7, with it & X6 being considered one of the worst games in the entire franchise).

So I can kinda understand if that's true, but whatever Capcom do next with the series, if it look good, fans better support it or at least tolerate it, otherwise, back to square Zero....not the series or the character.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Mega Man is in such a weird spot rn. Like, I have no idea why Capcom isn't doing anything with it.

Yeah, they did Mega Man 11, but after that...Nothing more than old game compilations with questionable release methods on Switch, the console they were gonna have the biggest audience on. Guess it just goes to show they're really going in hard on RE and MH being their big boy series and everything else just fell to the wayside.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Mega Man is in such a weird spot rn. Like, I have no idea why Capcom isn't doing anything with it.

Yeah, they did Mega Man 11, but after that...Nothing more than old game compilations with questionable release methods on Switch, the console they were gonna have the biggest audience on. Guess it just goes to show they're really going in hard on RE and MH being their big boy series and everything else just fell to the wayside.
They teased X9 and the reason Mega Man died through most of the 2010's was heavy oversaturation so it's really not an issue that they aren't having a new game every year. Alao, what questionable release methods?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Ok. I think…. I think i’m gonna turn my Street Fighter VI concept into an actual Street Fighter fan game! But I need help to do it. I need artist, programmers, play testers, voice actors, all of that. So like… if you would like to help please DM me. I can pay you if you like.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ok. I think…. I think i’m gonna turn my Street Fighter VI concept into an actual Street Fighter fan game! But I need help to do it. I need artist, programmers, play testers, all of that. So like… if you would like to help please DM me. I can pay you if you like.
Alright, I respect the hustle. You won’t find much here though, we’re a bunch of talentless hacks.

What you gotta do is go to sites where people advertise their skills. That’s where you find artists, programmers, etc. I think Fiverr has some good talent.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Alao, what questionable release methods?
I believe MooMew is talking about how both the Classic and X Legacy collections put one half on a card and had the other require a download. Not sure if the Zero collection on Switch did the same thing, though.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I mean, the Mega Man franchise as a ton of sub-series, and I bet for most of them, you can at least point out 1 game that Capcom really drop the ball(The X series notably having a dive in quality starting from X5, all the way to X7, with it & X6 being considered one of the worst games in the entire franchise).

So I can kinda understand if that's true, but whatever Capcom do next with the series, if it look good, fans better support it or at least tolerate it, otherwise, back to square Zero....not the series or the character.
Was half joking with that response, but yeah the series has a lot of different options available for it's repetitive nature. Fans for the most part know what they want as well.

Only real time I've seen the fanbase be perceived negatively was during the mass cancelations and how badly Capcom messed up their PR.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Alright, I respect the hustle. You won’t find much here though, we’re a bunch of talentless hacks.

What you gotta do is go to sites where people advertise their skills. That’s where you find artists, programmers, etc. I think Fiverr has some good talent.
At the very least I figured I could find Voice Actors and people to help with the creative side here. Plus people who might be willing to work for free lol. Like, I CAN pay people but it would be nice if I didn’t have to earn like thousands of dollars each month on Instacart to do it lol. But yeah. I want to get it done and I’ll do whatever I can to do it.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I finally got around to playing Joy Mech Fight, and damn, I would love to see a modern game in the IP. To be honest, with Nintendo shifting some focus to the eShop market and the like, taking old IPs in a way similar to Sega (with Streets of Rage 4 and Alex Kidd DX) and making modern games of them could be really cool! Especially if they promoted fans doing so.

This is Nintendo however, so I expect to be sued for even mentioning "bring back old IPs"

D

Deleted member

Welcome to Eagle’s Flight! You must be at least 36’ tall to ride. Riders between 36’ inches and 42’ tall must be accompanied by a supersizing companion who is at least 16 years old. As you step into your eagle, please be careful as it may move slightly. Once seated, please buckle your seatbelt. Loose items- such as cells phones- must be in your pocket, or in a small bag secured to your person, which are permitted on this ride, providing they do not interfere with the safety restraint or cause a hazard. If you are wearing a hat with a brim, please turn it backwards or remove it for your safety and the safety of others. Throughout the ride, remain seated upright, facing forward, with your back against the seat, and hold on. Steer the head of your eagle high and low to fly in that direction. Thank you, and enjoy your ride on Eagle’s Flight! (loud beep intensifies)

D

Deleted member

Pokemon peaked with Gen 1. #TeamBulbasaur :001:

Real talk though, as much criticism as the modern games tend to get, some deserved, some blown out of proportions, it does sting to see your childhood franchise degrading like that due to crunch (also GF were never the best developers to begin with, to be honest). But the only real 3DS era disappointment to me would be USUM, due to neutering the Aether family story by trying to make Lusamine more sympathetic and generally being too similar to SM. Like, they're third versions, but still split up into 2 games, that does sit wrong with me.

Like, I was willing to excuse XY because it was GF's first 3d games, so I was fine with them laying down a foundation for later, even if some decisions were baffling, to say the least. The sky battles were absolutely worthless, and more than likely the reason why so many flying Pokemon are just motionless hovering in air, which looks especially weird on Pokemon like Xatu or Tropius. Not to mention the battles crawling to a halt when you have some of the more detailed Pokemon on the field due to being too much for the poor 3DS. All in all, kinda mediocre as a game, but not outright bad, I'd say.

SM then was the first game where the world felt like a real world and not just a map on a grid, something which was previously only limited to specific areas with Castelia City or Lumiose City, for example. Also Guzma, SM gets points for giving us Guzma. But man, the handholding in that game was really bad still. At the end of the day, still a fun game and I actually like it more than vanilla DP, can't comment on Platinum though.

USUM... happened, I guess. It's got the typical "third version" stuff, like additional forms or being able to capture old legendaries. As I said above, it was basically the third version, but this time split into two. I admit, the Rainbow Rocket arc was kinda neat, simply due to seeing all the old bad guys being together, but at the end of the day, it was just a boss rush. Still, I wouldn't really call USUM bad on its own, it's just "bad" when compared with vanilla SM and didn't bring much new to the table. Like Ultra Space, which they made a big deal about? Just a small minigame and a secluded hallway where you can find an Ultra Beast. Same with Ultra Megalopolis just being a tiny hallway you can't explore either. You can't even enter a single house, such a missed opportunity.

And then there's SwSh, it got a lot of deserved flak, but also did some things, right. While badly executed, it did gave us a hint of what an open world Pokemon could be like (that draw distance though). Also making the additions DLC instead of making Sharp Sword and Sturdy Shield or whatever for 60€ again. I also liked the atmosphere those games had, gym battles actually felt like an event with all those spectators, but they also really dropped the ball with some areas. Spikemuth is just a hallway and Ballonlea just being two houses and the gym. Tuffield isn't much better either.

Well, those are my 2 cents. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think the biggest thing holding Pokémon back is deadlines.

Because they need to crank out a game every few years for the anime and the card game and whatever, the games don’t get all the time they need.

And swsh got it the absolute worse. I still hold to my theory that it was meant for the 3DS and was rushed onto the switch mid development before anyone at GF had really worked with switch hardware.

Anyway, the way the Journeys anime is set up they could keep it going without the need for a new generation every three years, so maybe the games will start getting the time they need.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I think the biggest thing holding Pokémon back is deadlines.

Because they need to crank out a game every few years for the anime and the card game and whatever, the games don’t get all the time they need.

And swsh got it the absolute worse. I still hold to my theory that it was meant for the 3DS and was rushed onto the switch mid development before anyone at GF had really worked with switch hardware.

Anyway, the way the Journeys anime is set up they could keep it going without the need for a new generation every three years, so maybe the games will start getting the time they need.
Honestly I think they should just make Journeys the permanent format. Yeah they still need better character work and plot threads, but if it's ironed out properly it could be quite fun to watch and actually create proper continuity in the overall universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom