• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo and MS actually showed up after spending months of thoughtful preparation.

Ubisoft overslept and threw together a baking soda volcano last minute.

SE showed Life is Strange in the class for the 7th week in a row.

Capcom showed up for the free food.
Idk. I thought even Microsoft’s show was ****ing dreadful. And Nintendo’s was meh.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Idk. I thought even Microsoft’s show was ****ing dreadful. And Nintendo’s was meh.
They weren’t the best shows, obviously. But I personally think Microsoft just had more to talk about, even if none of the games really interested me.

And Nintendo…I dunno man. It’s not the best direct of course, but when you bring back Advance Wars and the fabled Metroid Dread while throwing in BOTW2 and a new Warioware in just for the weirdos like me, I’m basically forced to put it solidly in “good”

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
To each their own.

MS was just a good show. They had something for just about everyone, and it was amazingly paced. Trailer, trailer, trailer. That’s the good stuff. Game Pass also has incredible value with games like the new Halo and Forza: Both games look incredible.

Nintendo’s the same deal, only place they stumbled was weird pacing with SMT, but an RPG always takes up time and makes non-RPG fans mad, it’s always a free space on the bingo, lol.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
While Nintendo's E3 didn't have a ton of huge announcements to me aside from Metroid Dread and BotW 2, there were definitely plenty of things that made me go "Yeah, this looks fun. I'll probably check it out", so I was honestly quite satisfied with their showing.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They weren’t the best shows, obviously. But I personally think Microsoft just had more to talk about, even if none of the games really interested me.

And Nintendo…I dunno man. It’s not the best direct of course, but when you bring back Advance Wars and the fabled Metroid Dread while throwing in BOTW2 and a new Warioware in just for the weirdos like me, I’m basically forced to put it solidly in “good”
I could put it in good like... objectively.... but personally the only thing I liked in that direct was Kazuya. Which is amazing don’t get me wrong, but being happy for others can only get you so far and for so long. And like... maybe this is just me but the only thing I remember from Microsoft was Jack Sparrow and that dumb top down art game that I honestly thought was already out.

And it’s just like.... how much longer are we possibly gonna have to wait for the platformer renaissance? Like... come on. Activision made boat loads with Crash and Spyro. Why aren’t other companies copying them?

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Will say though that from E3 2021 one announcement was the best one from me:

1623884354554.png

I will admit, only The Outer Worlds and Ghost of Tsushima have been the games that have impressed me so much in the past two years or so. I'd add the Trails of Cold Steel Quadrilogy and Persona 5 Royal but I played the originals so it wouldn't count.

The Outer Worlds has been the game I wanted in a way. A Fallout like but without the giant freaky monsters like the Mirelurks and Radscorpions, the depressing post-apocalyptic setting and the full open world.
Plus it's writing is one of the best I've ever seen. And I'm super glad it has gotten a sequel. I might actually pick up an Xbox for this and Forza.

MooMew64

I could put it in good like... objectively.... but personally the only thing I liked in that direct was Kazuya. Which is amazing don’t get me wrong, but being happy for others can only get you so far and for so long. And like... maybe this is just me but the only thing I remember from Microsoft was Jack Sparrow and that dumb top down art game that I honestly thought was already out.

And it’s just like.... how much longer are we possibly gonna have to wait for the platformer renaissance? Like... come on. Activision made boat loads with Crash and Spyro. Why aren’t other companies copying them?
As one of the biggest 3D platformer stans around:

Crash and Spyro were successes, no doubt, but boatloads might be a stretch. It’s the unfortunate truth that the mascot platformer ain’t king of the roost anymore (outside of Mario, that is) and it’s a genre rooted in the past that not many modern day gamers seem to have interest in on the blue water scale (again, apart from Mario). AAA devs are gonna go where the big big money is: Why sell 4 or less million when CoD prints money on name recognition and live service games pull in the big bucks right now? Companies are more likely to invest in a product that they can continually make money off of, and there’s not much monetization opportunities with games like Crash and Spyro, unfortunately.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

We got Psychonauts 2 from the Microsoft presentation, at least.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Crash and Spyro were successes, no doubt, but boatloads might be a stretch. It’s the unfortunate truth that the mascot platformer ain’t king of the roost anymore (outside of Mario, that is) and it’s a genre rooted in the past that not many modern day gamers seem to have interest in on the blue water scale (again, apart from Mario). AAA devs are gonna go where the big big money is: Why sell 4 or less million when CoD prints money on name recognition and live service games pull in the big bucks right now? Companies are more likely to invest in a product that they can continually make money off of, and there’s not much monetization opportunities with games like Crash and Spyro, unfortunately.
It’d be cool if like, there was a mini platformer resurgence?

Like, companies didn’t 100% focus on they jumpy characters, but they gave em games every couple years. And in that way, every couple years we get a splattering of new mascot platformers to enjoy.

Nintendo still has Mario and DK, Sega still has Sonic, Activision still has Crash and Spyro. Microsoft could bring back Banjo, Sony could keep working with Sackboy. And every couple years some of these guys get some games, and it’s nice.

Alas, tis but a fool’s dream.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

You see this post. It contains facts. And I personally want to take those facts and beat them within an inch of their lives and then hook them up to a car battery with jumper cables and let my dogs eat what’s left if those facts. They ****ing suck and I hate them and just for once in my god damn life wish that certain genres and series didn’t have to go ****ing extinct for the sake of profit. Anyone who owns a nostalgic platformer and hasn’t revived it? Go die in a hole full of cat pee and marinara sauce.

God. What happened? I feel like I was briefly possessed by the spirit of the AVGN.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Like, companies didn’t 100% focus on they jumpy characters, but they gave em games every couple years. And in that way, every couple years we get a splattering of new mascot platformers to enjoy.

Nintendo still has Mario and DK, Sega still has Sonic, Activision still has Crash and Spyro. Microsoft could bring back Banjo, Sony could keep working with Sackboy. And every couple years some of these guys get some games, and it’s nice.

A dream I desperately wish was what was happening now. 😔

Noipoi

Howdy!
Dude Metroid Dread drops just a couple days away from my birthday.

I was gonna get it just to support Metroid not going into hibernation for another decade, even though I’m not really a Metroid fan. But if I was…I’d be freaking the hell out.

Last time this happened was when Pokémon XY dropped the literal day after my birthday. 11 yo me was psyched about that.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

I was gonna get it just to support Metroid not going into hibernation for another decade, even though I’m not really a Metroid fan. But if I was…I’d be freaking the hell out.

Last time this happened was when Pokémon XY dropped the literal day after my birthday. 11 yo me was psyched about that.
I've only had this sort of moment once, but dang was it neat. Cuphead dropped on my birthday; September 29th.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

This. Exactly. Just a few every few years. Sony even has a good few to potentially work with (Ratchet, Sly, Jak, and Ape Escape). Square could bring back Gex. Ubisoft could make more Rayman games. Namco could do a new Klonoa. Heck. Some older weirder ones could probably get indie revivals ala Great Giana Sisters (Team Areo the Acro-Bat ftw).

MooMew64

My reaction was similar to Arlo’s. I was losing it during that reveal.

Then they showed it was named Dread

I dead up squealed a pitch higher than I thought myself capable of.

D

Deleted member

Just say that there’s a good chance her top will fly off in the middle of the ride if she isn’t careful
I wish I could. knowing me, I would butcher it and get a “I want to talk to your manager” aka a Code C.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
God I really want Arc System Works to make a Final Fantasy fighting game in the style of FighterZ. But with some of the simplified controls from other tag fighters like Cross Tag Battle, Battle for the Grid, and MvCI. It would be so cool!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
can't believe I'm gonna get to attend SummerSlam in August let's ****ing GOOOOOOOOOO
20210503_122932.jpg

Dutch Raikuna

I just remembered what I needed to use the laptop for instead of story writing.

Needed to check if my pre-order of THPS Switch came through and get New Pokemon Snap ordered for the same day it comes out. I refuse to gave the number of Switch physical copies be on a prime number, damn my math brain.

Dutch Raikuna

Thinking about it.... does anyone else think it’s a little strange that we saw nothing of FFXVI or FF7Rp2?
I'm expecting news way later on this year to be honest for both. I do have a lot of faith in FFXVI cause it's 14's team leading the charge.

Speaking of FF I'm just disappointed at Final Fantasy Origin. The idea of FF1 done in a sort of Souls-like concept sounded really cool but then they modernised the main characters attires and all that.
It just looks bland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom