• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah, this. 2D platformers have stepped up their game a lot in recent years, but Mario still kinda "ho-hums" along to his same 'ol song and dance.

When everything is battling for your limited free time nowadays, it can be hard to settle for something I think is "just alright" VS. "Wow, this is incredible!"
I think Nintendo views NSMB as the basic representation of the Mario brand.

Think of Mario, not the character, not 64 or Galaxy, but the basic Mario brand. What you see on backpacks and lunchboxes. This is how the average person knows Mario, especially people who don’t play video games. So Nintendo’s philosophy is, if one of these people were to ever have an interest in playing a Mario game, they’d start with the New Super games. And thus the game has to be as simple and basic as possible. Perfectly representing what this hypothetical newcomer knows Mario to be.

I get it, that makes sense. Still wish we could get a modern 2D Mario game bursting with style and creativity.

D

Deleted member

I liked New Super Mario Bros Wii, and the DS version, but after New Super Mario Bros Wii U came and went with nothing super interesting I kinda stopped caring. It didn’t really feel “new” anymore, and in the wake of games like Sonic Mania which were reinventing the wheel of what a platformer can be, they just feel boring now.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
I liked New Super Mario Bros Wii, and the DS version, but after New Super Mario Bros Wii U came and went with nothing super interesting I kinda stopped caring. It didn’t really feel “new” anymore, and in the wake of games like Sonic Mania which were reinventing the wheel of what a platformer can be, they just feel boring now.
Well, the Deluxe version of New Super Mario Bros. U had Peachette, which lead to Bowsette, if that means anything, so there's that.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just bought, and finished, Ittle Dew on the Wii U today. (I only knew that it was kind of like Zelda, and that a few characters from it are included in Slap City) It's a lot like Untitled Goose Game in some ways; it's a short game (it took me four and a half hours to beat it 100%, though I had to use a guide for some puzzles), but it's got a good sense of humour. Hit detection with the stick/sword is a little wonky, though that was really only an issue with the bonus/challenge boss.

I'm also playing through the first Resident Evil - not sure if I'd be better off with trying the second or third one instead (I don't know if those are easier or more difficult), but I figure I should give the series a shot.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I think Nintendo views NSMB as the basic representation of the Mario brand.

Think of Mario, not the character, not 64 or Galaxy, but the basic Mario brand. What you see on backpacks and lunchboxes. This is how the average person knows Mario, especially people who don’t play video games. So Nintendo’s philosophy is, if one of these people were to ever have an interest in playing a Mario game, they’d start with the New Super games. And thus the game has to be as simple and basic as possible. Perfectly representing what this hypothetical newcomer knows Mario to be.

I get it, that makes sense. Still wish we could get a modern 2D Mario game bursting with style and creativity.
Like I said in some undefined time, "Reject plumb, return to mlem"

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Even if none of that is true, you have to think, "Man, Balan Wonderworld did that badly, huh?" :yoshi:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Kids born after NSMB’s release are online

View attachment 311664
Says the guy using a character created before you were born.

I remember the day Spongebob premiered... in that I didn't see it. I was grounded and the rest of the family saw it without me. I was mortified :yoshi:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom