• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
2D Mario scene legit gets to make actual sequels to NSMB, but Mario 64 hackers do even the littlest thing and off to the shadow realm with them. Heck, Games Done Quick puts the 2D Mario hacking community up on proud display and Nintendo doesn't lift a finger against either of them.

Smash mods seem to get targeted if they get too much attention or if official venues try to feature them.

Mario 64 PC Port probably only exists because by all accounts, there isn't really anything Nintendo can legally do about it. It's a reverse engineered dump of a game's source code, and because of that, it technically counts as the creator's own unique code that Nintendo can't touch. All it does is decompile and build, nothing about that infringes upon Nintendo's copyright. It exists in the same realm as emulators do, where you can bet Nintendo hates them with the power of a thousand suns, but legally can't do squat 'cause their copyright isn't being abused from the base functionality of the code.
And that's probably why Project Slippi can't be taken down either.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
And that's probably why Project Slippi can't be taken down either.
Yep. It doesn't use anything that is copyrighted by Nintendo, so there's not a thing they can do about it other than harass anyone who tries to use it at worst.

Probably one of the reasons I'm a huge advocate of 64 hackers migrating over to the PC port and trying to release things underground more, similar to how Render96 does it. They have a YouTube, yes, but their download links and community are a small Discord server. If you wanna make Nintendo stuff, you gotta aim small and not make too much noise.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Yep. It doesn't use anything that is copyrighted by Nintendo, so there's not a thing they can do about it other than harass anyone who tries to use it at worst.

Probably one of the reasons I'm a huge advocate of 64 hackers migrating over to the PC port and trying to release things underground more, similar to how Render96 does it. They have a YouTube, yes, but their download links and community are a small Discord server. If you wanna make Nintendo stuff, you gotta aim small and not make too much noise.
Bruh, I love Nintendo but I hate their copyright policies. If you're worried about piracy, just rerelase the games instead of that tricke dowm Reaganomic ****.

MooMew64

Bruh, I love Nintendo but I hate their copyright policies. If you're worried about piracy, just rerelase the games instead of that tricke dowm Reaganomic ****.
Saaaaaame. I love their games and developers a ton, but man they've just gotten relationship with fan projects so backwards compared to almost every other company in the industry lightening up about it. Even SquareEnix, who used to be just as notorious as Nintendo about fan projects, doesn't care anymore and have even given Tomb Raider projects their blessing.

Like, you really want people to play official releases? Realese. The. Games. This ain't rocket science: We have modders in their basements and on potato computers making emulators that play GCN and Wii games near flawlessly and are even starting to get custom Switch emulators going, but Nintendo can't? Doesn't add up to me. I don't claim to be an expert, nor am I a professional developer (I'm a hobbyist if anything), but from what little I know about the subject, there really isn't any reason to handle it the way that they do other than corporate pride and Disney-vault-esque artificial scarcity, perceived brand value and demand.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Saaaaaame. I love their games and developers a ton, but man they've just gotten relationship with fan projects so backwards compared to almost every other company in the industry lightening up about it. Even SquareEnix, who used to be just as notorious as Nintendo about fan projects, doesn't care anymore and have even given Tomb Raider projects their blessing.

Like, you really want people to play official releases? Realese. The. Games. This ain't rocket science: We have modders in their basements and on potato computers making emulators that play GCN and Wii games near flawlessly and are even starting to get custom Switch emulators going, but Nintendo can't? Doesn't add up to me. I don't claim to be an expert, nor am I a professional developer (I'm a hobbyist if anything), but from what little I know about the subject, there really isn't any reason to handle it the way that they do other than corporate pride and Disney-vault-esque artificial scarcity, perceived brand value and demand.
I agree, but Square's absolutely messed up too when it comes to copyright.

They went full Disney with FFVII Remake, ot was wild.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
To be fair this whole talk about copyright reminded me of a story idea I had sometime back shortly before joining the forums.

It was set in a very dystopian future where everything was copyrighted to even basic words. Everyone was designated a number and a letter as their name and all lived in monochrome buildings a bit like Nier Automata. It was cool but didn't think about it too much.

Pretty much in a nutshell. It's all a grey area but it's so dangerous to tinker with.

That reminds me...Surprised Super Smash Flash never got taken down. It was a big Smash fangame in the eye for 10 years and was pretty notable but nopes from Nintendo.
Maybe it's because of all the third parties?
Smash flash also had Mr Incredible in it if i recall.

MooMew64

Yeah, they clamped down hard on the soundtrack and cutscenes, but I'm not sure if it was prerelease or not.
I could understand if it was prerelease. Like, it's kind of overprotective, but I get it, 'cause spoilers and whatnot.

But if they were doing it well after release? Nah, that's over the top.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
My dad and I whipped up a big ol’ set of burgers and hot dogs for the family tonight; he took care of the meat, I took care of the toppings and sides. Eggs and bacon are great on a burger, as they are in pretty much any scenario.

But man, did my eyes burn when managing the onions. I’m still crying.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I have finished watching all of season one of Code Monkeys. I haven't watched it in over a decade but still love it!

And I have come to the realization that I haven't seen ANY of season two. Can't wait to dive in.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm watching Godzilla vs Kong.
The first 2/3 of the movie was simply okay but the final act was a lot of fun. I had a feeling from the beginning that Kong and Godzilla would end up fighting together, and against Mecha Godzilla no less.

Shroob

Sup?
The more I look into this Vinny situation, the more.... strange it is, tbh.

At worst, he had sex with a consenting adult by throwing around "I'm famous streamer" and giving them an STD , which is extremely scummy no doubt, but nothing near close to most of the **** that comes out about people tbh.

But at best, it looks like 4chan 'may' also be behind this. There's been a big hater boner on /v/ towards Vinny for years now and "apparently" they're taking credit for cancelling him?

Dunno, ****'s crazy.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
The first 2/3 of the movie was simply okay but the final act was a lot of fun. I had a feeling from the beginning that Kong and Godzilla would end up fighting together, and against Mecha Godzilla no less.
Okay but

When Kong and Goji grab both sides of Mecha and slam him into a building. That was some pro wrestling ****, man. It was hype.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I said this before but among my problems with the film despite loving it that it basically had two plots that was put into one, the whole Kong and hollow earth and Godzilla going "rogue" over Mechagodzilla.

How I would have done it.

Chronological order.

1. Kong: Skull Island
2. Godzilla
3. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
4. Kong 2: Hollow Earth
5. Godzilla 3
6. Godzilla vs. Kong

And that would just be the first phase.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So apparently the Vinny Google Doc is being edited in real time by whoever posted it, because people found out the Time of the email wouldn't have been possible because Vinny was streaming at that exact time?

Dunno, weird *ing * all around.
There’s multiple inconsistencies with the Vinny accusations and this is coming from someone who hasn’t watched a single thing from Vinny.

Apparently the email logo was made up and has never been used by him.

The emails don’t match any rhetoric in other emails he’s most definitely sent.

The thing you mentioned.

And the fact that there was apparently a typo in the emails in one instance and not in the others.

I think Vinny is safe but this makes it harder for other real accusations going forward to be believed and that sucks. Happy that Vinny likely won’t get cancelled though. Good for him.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So apparently the Vinny Google Doc is being edited in real time by whoever posted it, because people found out the Time of the email wouldn't have been possible because Vinny was streaming at that exact time?

Dunno, weird *ing * all around.
Mission failed, you won't get them next time. Wish false accusers got into some real **** for doing this all the time.

Shroob

Sup?
There’s multiple inconsistencies with the Vinny accusations and this is coming from someone who hasn’t watched a single thing from Vinny.

Apparently the email logo was made up and has never been used by him.

The emails don’t match any rhetoric in other emails he’s most definitely sent.

The thing you mentioned.

And the fact that there was apparently a typo in the emails in one instance and not in the others.

I think Vinny is safe but this makes it harder for other real accusations going forward to be believed and that sucks. Happy that Vinny likely won’t get cancelled though. Good for him.
I wouldn't say a typo is damning evidence, but looking into this, it really seems to reek of "4chan did this", because /v/ ****ing hates his guts. Doesn't hurt that apparently someone's outing a Discord group of channers of being the ones behind this, but even if that seems like damning evidence, always good to keep a skeptic outlook tbh.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
They put the Ewoks show on Disney+?! That show was one of my favorites despite only watching one or two episodes. Watched the first episode and yes, it has Ewoks.

Also watched Story of the Faithful Wookiee and it was something alright.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom