• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
It's funny.

The fact that Tales of Chun Leak has existed for 2 and a half years uncontested must be a record for a leak, even if it ends up being fake in the end. Props to it for living soo long.
What is the leak in a nutshell? Lloyd and Chun-Li?

Haven't heard about it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's funny.

The fact that Tales of Chun Leak has existed for 2 and a half years uncontested must be a record for a leak, even if it ends up being fake in the end. Props to it for living soo long.
We need a leak archive for when Ultimate is over.

Whenever I’m feeling nostalgic and wanna look through all the stupid rumors we gave the time of day. Like that one with Gardevoir.

Shroob

Sup?
What is the leak in a nutshell? Lloyd and Chun-Li?

Haven't heard about it.
tl;dr

A couple days after the game came out in Japan, so like, mid-December 2018, some rando on 5ch posted a lot of **** which boiled down to:

Chun Li was considered, replaced with Ken due to time constraints
Geno is apparently Square's biggest enigma of a character, they don't understand his popularity.
Called the Dragon Quest Hero(Forgot if it mentioned Luminary), Steve, Sephiroth
Said that Yuri and Lloyd were in planning stages, was confused due to their absence

In 2.5 years, nothing's outright killed it, that's why we're all waiting to see Lloyd's costume.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
If the Tales of Chun Leak is real, then apparently even Square Enix is confused as to why Geno is popular, and according to the leak "Don't want to use him when they feel like his support is only to get him in Smash."
That just feels silly to me. Like... why would they care at all? If anything taking money to use the character should be EASIER for them if they give no ****s about the character.

And as I’ve said before, I have my doubts about the tales of chun Li leak. Especially given circumstances.
It's funny.

Didn’t say anything about Pyra/Mythra though. And given the amount of Capcom stuff with this pack... I am pressing X to doubt on that one.

Shroob

Sup?
That just feels silly to me. Like... why would they care at all? If anything taking money to use the character should be EASIER for them if they give no ****s about the character.

And as I’ve said before, I have my doubts about the tales of chun Li leak. Especially given circumstances.

Didn’t say anything about Pyra/Mythra though. And given the amount of Capcom stuff with this pack... I am pressing X to doubt on that one.
The leak doesn't mention a lot of the characters, it's what it says that's important. It also says that Chun Li was outright replaced by Ken, not that she was coming back.

D

Deleted member

Probably the opposite actually: adding a character they don't give two ****s about and is only well known in a small community is not as profitable as adding mothertrucking :ultsephiroth: because brand recognition.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
tl;dr

A couple days after the game came out in Japan, so like, mid-December 2018, some rando on 5ch posted a lot of **** which boiled down to:

Geno is apparently Square's biggest enigma of a character, they don't understand his popularity.
Said that Yuri and Lloyd were in planning stages, was confused due to their absence

In 2.5 years, nothing's outright killed it, that's why we're all waiting to see Lloyd's costume.
So the leak doesn’t say that Chun-Li is COMMING, only that she was considered at one point..... makes more sense IMO. As cool as she is, I don’t think she’s gonna make it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Cuz it wouldn’t promote anything :drshrug:

All the squeenix characters have something going on these days. Geno hasn’t had anything for decades.

For as special as it is, Smash is also kinda a big fat commercial. And Geno’s got nothing to advertise.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

All the squeenix characters have something going on these days. Geno hasn’t had anything for decades.

For as special as it is, Smash is also kinda a big fat commercial. And Geno’s got nothing to advertise.
Yeah, you gotta look at how Square looks at Smash compared to other companies.

We've had HOW MANY Square spirit events?

Octopath
Bravely 2
Trials of Mana

All either within their release windows or on anniversaries. Square looks at Smash as one big way to promote themselves.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Probably the opposite actually: adding a character they don't give two ****s about and is only well known in a small community is not as profitable as adding mothertrucking :ultsephiroth: because brand recognition.
True. But there’s also a lower overhead cost with Geno. With Sephiroth they have to pay the original character designer and the original composer and so many other people. With Geno it’s just taking the money and running.

Remember. Nintendo pays Square to use their content. Based on what I’ve learned about licensing deals in college, they likely pay a large upfront fee and then offset it internally with the sales profits. So in essence it doesn’t matter to Square how much money the character actually makes because they get paid long before it starts selling.

Shroob

Sup?
tbf, isn't that kinda what Smash is at this point?
So the leak doesn’t say that Chun-Li is COMMING, only that she was considered at one point..... makes more sense IMO. As cool as she is, I don’t think she’s gonna make it.
Yeah, this is why Lloyd's costume is soo important to see, and why people are suddenly getting real curious. However, apparently both Yuri and Lloyd's rights were acquired according to this leak, and in the chance it's real, I really don't see them putting Yuri as a costume tbh.

D

Deleted member

True. But there’s also a lower overhead cost with Geno. With Sephiroth they have to pay the original character designer and the original composer and so many other people. With Geno it’s just taking the money and running.

Remember. Nintendo pays Square to use their content. Based on what I’ve learned about licensing deals in college, they likely pay a large upfront fee and then offset it internally with the sales profits. So in essence it doesn’t matter to Square how much money the character actually makes because they get paid long before it starts selling.
Again, why would they go through all the hassle of adding a random nobody(in their eyes anyway) when they can add MOTHER TRUCKING :ultsephiroth:

From their POV, it's just not worth it, even if the upfront cost is fairly low. Getting a character into Smash in the first place is a big deal, you better hope you bring your best to the party.

Shroob

Sup?

I mean, according to the guy who leaked Cloud for Smash 4, getting Cloud back for EVERYONE IS HERE was apparently like pulling teeth levels of difficulty.

Would not surprise me if while he was working a deal, Sakurai worked in a way to include more Final Fantasy content by selling Sephiroth separately.

Dutch Raikuna

tl;dr

Interesting and wouldn't be a bad end.

I think reality needs to kick in. Geno is popular within a thread but once you go out of here he's not known. That's the dark truth and compared to so many other characters, he didn't have the money smell.

Compared to someone like Sephiroth who with an iconic game, moniker, theme and so much more. The One Winged Angel is one of the most iconic villains in fiction.
Plus a certain two moments is iconic and adds to fear of him.

You say that but of course it ain't that simple.

Plus he also has "star power" for character designer and composer in the form of Nomura and Uematsu who are amongst the best in the industry at their fields. That adds more to the iconicness.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, you gotta look at how Square looks at Smash compared to other companies.

We've had HOW MANY Square spirit events?

Octopath
Bravely 2
Trials of Mana

All either within their release windows or on anniversaries. Square looks at Smash as one big way to promote themselves.
Considering another one of my dreams is a Super Mario RPG Remake, that potentially alleviates the concerns.

Doesn’t matter though. I know he won’t be in this pass. His only chance at making it into ultimate is as a bonus character after pass 2 ends. And even then there’s no guarantee that would even happen.

And just as an aside. The whole Geno debacle is why I question Nintendo’s policy on letting third party collaborators own the rights to new things they create when they work on a Nintendo franchise. I guarantee you Geno would already have made it into smash if he were a first party character.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Yeah, this is why Lloyd's costume is soo important to see, and why people are suddenly getting real curious. However, apparently both Yuri and Lloyd's rights were acquired according to this leak, and in the chance it's real, I really don't see them putting Yuri as a costume tbh.
Sakurai has said that if a tales character hog into Smash it “had to be Lloyd”. Though I could see him changing his stance on that after the smash ballot. Either way it’s still a long overdue second Namco character so I’m happy either way.
Again, why would they go through all the hassle of adding a random nobody(in their eyes anyway) when they can add MOTHER TRUCKING :ultsephiroth:

From their POV, it's just not worth it, even if the upfront cost is fairly low. Getting a character into Smash in the first place is a big deal, you better hope you bring your best to the party.
See the response to the next quote.
I mean, according to the guy who leaked Cloud for Smash 4, getting Cloud back for EVERYONE IS HERE was apparently like pulling teeth levels of difficulty.

Would not surprise me if while he was working a deal, Sakurai worked in a way to include more Final Fantasy content by selling Sephiroth separately.
Yeah. And now they got Sephiroth. They got their add revenue from advertising their biggest series. Just throw us a bone and throw in a simple puppet on the side as a thank you present. Something like that, NOBODY would be being advertised for with that. Because there’s no more future to smash. It’s over. This is the last one. The eyes go away after that. So where’s the harm?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sad as it is to say, I just don’t see Geno happening any time soon. He’s got no relevance, nothing to promote. Yeah it’d be easy to let Nintendo use him, but what’s Square’s incentive to do so?

Sure Microsoft was willing to lend a character they weren’t using, just to make people happy. But Microsoft and Square are two different companies that operate differently. And it’s obvious square is all about promotion.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Sakurai has said that if a tales character hog into Smash it “had to be Lloyd”. Though I could see him changing his stance on that after the smash ballot. Either way it’s still a long overdue second Namco character so I’m happy either way.

Yeah. And now they got Sephiroth. They got their add revenue from advertising their biggest series. Just throw us a bone and throw in a simple puppet on the side as a thank you present. Something like that, NOBODY would be being advertised for with that. Because there’s no more future to smash. It’s over. This is the last one. The eyes go away after that. So where’s the harm?
Aw right my opinion doesn't mean ****? "Help help! I'm oppressed."

And again it just wouldn't make sense for Geno. I've had to get over the loss of some of my most wanted.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

You mention the "Had to be Lloyd" quote, which is funny, because for as much as the English playerbase bring it up, according to the newcomer thread's native Japanese user, the JP side of the fanbase basically never bring that up in regards to a Tales Of character.

Lloyd's "decently" popular over there, but still not as big as Yuri.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Aw right my opinion doesn't mean ****? "Help help! I'm oppressed."

And again it just wouldn't make sense for Geno. I've had to get over the loss of some of my most wanted.
Oh my god. I have to respond to everyone or they throw a fit? That’s fun!

And you say it wouldn’t make sense. I say it makes perfect sense. It’s a difference in opinion, not in what is objectively true.

And if that’s what you call giving up then fine. Have a nice time giving up.

Dutch Raikuna

Oh my god. I have to respond to everyone or they throw a fit? That’s fun!

And you say it wouldn’t make sense. I say it makes perfect sense. It’s a difference in opinion, not in what is objectively true.

And if that’s what you call giving up then fine. Have a nice time giving up.
Snake. It's coming up to 4am where I live and I'm super tired but super hyper. This is what happens.

And by the way I was messing with ya on that one.

Still my point stands on it as I had to get over losing the likes of Travis, Issac and Elma.

Ok. No more future for this smash installment. Is that better? Once the game stops being actively supported it is no longer a viable marketing outlet.
Let sleeping dogs lie as they say I think.

Just once I would like a peaceful end to a series instead of becoming forced all the time. This looks nice to end Smash at least in this form.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Looking up Pokémon Legends: Arceus videos on YouTube and there's LOTS a videos promoting a "GBA ROM hack"

97% of the thumbnails don't show screens and the other 3% is just a screenshot of FireRed with the only change being Red replaced with the Legends protagonist.

I'm not going to give those videos any clicks.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
You know how centipedes carry small amounts of venom in them? I'm kinda worried for my dog, i saw one roaming my room and i can't kill it, i'm worried it might bite my dog.

All the squeenix characters have something going on these days.
Solo stands awkwardly in the corner as i'm pretty sure he's the only who didn't have a release within the previous couple years before he joined smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom