• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snorlax Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
CRASHiC, you analyze music way too much. Your overcriticism destroys the art.
I don't get this. I really don't. How does analyzing music change the way it is? If anything, breaking down a piece of music would only enhance my appreciation for it; the individual beats, the emphases on syllables, the emotions conveyed. I can't see how analyzing music harms it, let alone how it "destroys" it. There are millions of people [citation needed] who make a living off of analyzing music. If I were to learn from a music professor, for instance, would I be ruining music for myself? I hardly think so.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Define music.

I'm trying to find a way to keep this from being a one-liner, but I'm drawing blanks.
Sounds. Words themselves are not sounds, they are a collection of syllable given meaning, that then become words. What the song is saying and the manor in how this is said exist outside of the musical elements.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I really don't know how to respond. I'm no music scholar, it's just that certain analyses of music just seem to tarnish the experience of the medium for me. Makes me just think, "can you not just calm down and experience it for the soul?" rather than dissecting the piece to understand all the little algorithms and such components that make up the composition, no matter how simple or complex. From my experience, a lot of those with attuned musicianship like to strip music down too much for my liking and then try and press their findings on me as the "best parts of the musical piece", when in fact I do not care. Again, I enjoy KISS. Their music is simple, silly, and compositionally challenged (and often just outright bad), but nevertheless I enjoy their music.

Also @ the vocal argument. There is a difference between vocals and lyrics. Vocals are an independent factor whereas lyrics are dependent on the vocals (a musical instrument). Lyrics can be seen synonymously with sheet music.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Okay, I'm gonna drop my few cents on this music argument...

KISS is only okay. KISS fans (the hardcore ones... I mean scary hardcore) frighten me. KISS never really did anything for music besides make the costume genre classy. I like their songs (some of them). But they are not amazing.

RUSH is amazing. My opinion of course. Queen is awesome. AC/DC is still one of the greatest bands alive and one of the best bands to see in concert (they were AWESOME!! 60+ years old and they can still rock like they're 20). Metallica is one of my old favorites, but Rush and Queen are so much better.

And I am disappoint that no one mentioned the almighty Led Zeppelin. :(

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Okay, I'm gonna drop my few cents on this music argument...

KISS is only okay. KISS fans (the hardcore ones... I mean scary hardcore) frighten me. KISS never really did anything for music besides make the costume genre classy. I like their songs (some of them). But they are not amazing.

RUSH is amazing. My opinion of course. Queen is awesome. AC/DC is still one of the greatest bands alive and one of the best bands to see in concert (they were AWESOME!! 60+ years old and they can still rock like they're 20). Metallica is one of my old favorites, but Rush and Queen are so much better.

And I am disappoint that no one mentioned the almighty Led Zeppelin. :(
Queen is indeed awesome, AC/DC is ****ing godly and don't even get me started on Led Zepplin. And I apply the last thing I said at Guns N Roses, Metallica, The Rolling Stones, and Pink Floyd

Also, are we seriously debating on opinions? Ok, so Zook likes words more than the sounds itself and CRASHiC loves to dissect every song to understand it's meaning. Does it matter? It's like saying that just because you like sour flavored Skittles, the other guy should as well

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
O D I N, we wern't talking about how much we liked a band one way or another. I'd never partake in such a discussion. Its like arguing about taste in women, both are about who get the blood flowin to your pelvis region.

On the subject of likes and dislikes though, words can not express my love for ADVENTURE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This show has won my heart and soul forever more <3

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
GnR is meh to me. They have a couple good songs, and Slash is really the only good thing to come from the band. Stones are all right in my book. I don't really like Floyd. Probably cause I've never done drugs/get drunk...

Not saying you need to to like them, but I just can't stand them. :-/ Overplayed to me.

You guys should check out Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. She is one cool lady. Then you should check out the band's (the other guys of GPatN) other side band, Blues and Lasers. There's some good tunes...

Also forgot Allman Bros., CCR, Hendrix (Hendrix was well ahead of his time), and did I mention Rush? They don't get enough credit. :( Their new song is okay. Not as good as Moving Pictures album (one of the BEST albums of all time).

Oh, and Dinosaur Jr. is also good times.

I like good music. :D

Crash: My bad. I'm not all here right now (headache, came back from Inception, which was a fantastic flick).

I don't like arguments either, but I can get behind the sharing/mutual agreement of opinions.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
On the subject of likes and dislikes though, words can not express my love for ADVENTURE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This show has won my heart and soul forever more <3
Man, I still need to watch this. I wish I wasn't so lazy/hesitant to use Marshtomp's ability to get around and doing so.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I envy you kids who are growing up on Flapjack and Adventure Time. I had to deal with shows that thought obscene visuals were jokes (Ren and Stimpy), that making sexual references whenever possible like you were some 13 year old on the playground was funny (Rocko), or that having a plot and moral message was more important than telling jokes (Hey Arnold). Adventure Time is nonstop joy and hilarity with no hold bars attitude.

Tacel

Smash Lord
(Most) Musicians don't just talk with the music. They sing. Singing is not much different than playing an instrument. The syllables in the words in the lyrics become different notes. It's like an instrument. At this point, it doesn't matter what the singer is saying. It's how it sounds. That's why songs in other languages that you don't understand can still be great.

EDIT: Oh God. Ninja'd x 8

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I don't really like Floyd. Probably cause I've never done drugs/get drunk...
Listen to another brick in the wall, time, money, comfortably numb, and mother and then come back and talk to me :mad:

But yeah... they're the ****ing **** bro. And I wish I had every album from Metallica though. I'm only missing Ride the Lightning, Load, and Reload

You know how ****ing epic Fuel is? Exactly.

EDIT:

And hey! I spent my entire childhood watching those shows you just talked about Crashic :mad:

Spire

III
BRoomer

Oh totally, KISS is nothing more than mediocre. I enjoy the cheesiness of the band. The mere fact that these near-60 year old guys are still dressing up and performing the same old mediocre songs is just so priceless to me that I've become a fan. Hardcore KISS fans are indeed scary.

I've seen KISS twice now, the first time they just opened for Aerosmith and I hardly cared for them at all. The second time was back in December and that show got me into them. I'll be seeing them again in September. A week later, I'll be seeing the almighty Rush and boy, oh boy, will that be AWESOME. Geddy's voice has hardly changed after all these years. I also saw Queen + Paul Rogers several years ago, but Paul Rogers sucks. 6th row tickets, Brian May walked out on the catwalk and was like RIGHT THERE. It was so awesome.

I go to a lot of live shows. I'll try and recall all the shows I've been to:

• Paul McCartney
• KISS / Aerosmith, opened by Saliva (awful)
• Cheap Trick / Aerosmith
• Rock Kills Kid / She Wants Revenge / Electric Six
• Les Claypool, opened by Rasputina
• Primus, opened by Drums & Tuba
• Peeping Tom, opened by Dub Trio
• Les Claypool, opened by... I honestly can't remember
• Ween (best show I've ever seen)
• Alice Cooper, opened by Lillian's Axe (awful)
• The Judys / Okkerville River / Spoon / Roky Erickson, and more..
• Radiohead, opened by some indie band
• Alice Cooper, opened by Lillian's Axe (again, and even worse than before)
• Les Claypool, opened by Dub Trio
• KISS, opened by Buckcherry
• Skinny Puppy
• Gene Ween, opened by John the Electrician (second best show I've ever seen)
• Les Claypool, opened by... I can't remember either
• Slim Thug / The Flaming Lips
• Ween (this coming August)
• Billy Idol (this coming August)
• KISS (this coming September)
• Rush (this coming September)
• Electric Six (this coming October)
• Faith No More (HOPEFULLY if they decide to tour the states which seems highly likely)

Hmm... seems like I'm missing a couple.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Wow Spire, you've been to alot. I envy you.

I've only been to an Iron Maiden concert (I really don't care for them, but my dad offered tickets so how can I say no?) and a Metallica concert that came to Fort Lauderdale last year. Now THAT concert was ****ing epic. Me and my dad were literally jumping singing along to all the lyrics :laugh:

And I'll be attending to a Santana concert. They're not my favorites, but they're ok. They're somewhere in there.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Ya know, I wasn't aware that Saint Vincent's debue album started with the words Your Mother's Favorite **** until a year after I started listening to it? Came as a shock to me.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Listen to another brick in the wall, time, money, comfortably numb, and mother and then come back and talk to me :mad:
Yeah. Sorry. Can't stand those at all. :( I've been floyd'd out.

Oh totally, KISS is nothing more than mediocre. I enjoy the cheesiness of the band. The mere fact that these near-60 year old guys are still dressing up and performing the same old mediocre songs is just so priceless to me that I've become a fan. Hardcore KISS fans are indeed scary.

I've seen KISS twice now, the first time they just opened for Aerosmith and I hardly cared for them at all. The second time was back in December and that show got me into them. I'll be seeing them again in September. A week later, I'll be seeing the almighty Rush and boy, oh boy, will that be AWESOME. Geddy's voice has hardly changed after all these years. I also saw Queen + Paul Rogers several years ago, but Paul Rogers sucks. 6th row tickets, Brian May walked out on the catwalk and was like RIGHT THERE. It was so awesome.

I go to a lot of live shows. I'll try and recall all the shows I've been to:

• Paul McCartney
• KISS / Aerosmith, opened by Saliva (awful)
• Cheap Trick / Aerosmith
• Rock Kills Kid / She Wants Revenge / Electric Six
• Les Claypool, opened by Rasputina
• Primus, opened by Drums & Tuba
• Peeping Tom, opened by Dub Trio
• Les Claypool, opened by... I honestly can't remember
• Ween (best show I've ever seen)
• Alice Cooper, opened by Lillian's Axe (awful)
• The Judys / Okkerville River / Spoon / Roky Erickson, and more..
• Radiohead, opened by some indie band
• Alice Cooper, opened by Lillian's Axe (again, and even worse than before)
• Les Claypool, opened by Dub Trio
• KISS, opened by Buckcherry
• Skinny Puppy
• Gene Ween, opened by John the Electrician (second best show I've ever seen)
• Les Claypool, opened by... I can't remember either
• Slim Thug / The Flaming Lips
• Ween (this coming August)
• Billy Idol (this coming August)
• KISS (this coming September)
• Rush (this coming September)
• Electric Six (this coming October)
• Faith No More (HOPEFULLY if they decide to tour the states which seems highly likely)

Hmm... seems like I'm missing a couple.
Aerosmith is another one of those bands where they need to realize they can't do this anymore. Like the running gag with the stones.

That's quite an awesome list though (can't stand any of the Beatle chaps either... Not that I don't respect them. Just don't like their music. At all).

Concerts I've been to...

-Summer Sanatarium: Included Linkin Park (when they were good), Sevendust, Mudvayne, but who cares, Limp Bizkit who got boo'd off stage after dissin' chicago and Mancow after 10 minutes. They all opened for Metallica basically. And what a show. :D
-Weird Al. Now HE puts on a great show.
-Kashmir. They're a local cover band of Zep. They put on a truly authentic show. Hair, the shirts, just great.
-AC/DC (SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!)
-Dethklok, Mastadon and some other crappy D-metal bands opened for them. Mastadon was okay... just went on for too long. Dethklok/Brandon Smalls and his band were great.
-Muse this October. My wife just got into them, and her cousin is going in Oct, so she wants to go. They're all right.

I need to see Rush someday soon. :(

@Celebi: SANTANA?! You lucky, lucky man... Santana is a god amongst guitar players. As was Stevie Ray Vaughn. He died to early too. :(

Tacel

Smash Lord
Oh wow Spire has seen so many.
So many good bands.

I've seen:
- Journey/Def Leppard
- The Who
- Van Halen
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra
- Pat Metheny
- Bon Jovi

And Adventure Time is awesome.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Yeah. Sorry. Can't stand those at all. :( I've been floyd'd out.

@Celebi: SANTANA?! You lucky, lucky man... Santana is a god amongst guitar players. As was Stevie Ray Vaughn. He died to early too. :(
****... well you can't say I didn't do anything XD

And yes... yes I am. I don't really like Santana too much. Santana's ok, but Santana's not exactly my favorite\. But I'm not saying that Santana sucks, but yeah... somewhere in the middle.

I also like Linkin Park. Though a friend played that 24/7 in the car everytime I visited, and he just made me sick of them

Bon Jovi sucks. All he's got is living on a prayer and this stunning good looks (you know, somewhat like mine)

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Bon Jovi is underappreciated. Dead or Alive is a fun song (yes, I'm pulling out the Rock Band), with a nice tune. Living on a prayer is... well that. He's been around, and I can't remember much else he does (it's almost one here. /johns). I used to hate him too, but he's not amazing.

Santana is though. Black Magic Woman is my favorite. ^_^ Such a great jam. Santana is also responsible for so many other bands getting their start, Journey being one of them (singer and guitarist if I remember).

Linkin Park was only good with their first and second album. Everything post meteora(?) is sell out.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Santana is though. Black Magic Woman is my favorite. ^_^ Such a great jam. Santana is also responsible for so many other bands getting their start, Journey being one of them (singer and guitarist if I remember).

Linkin Park was only good with their first and second album. Everything post meteora(?) is sell out.
ok, you got me there. Black Magic Woman is what actually got me into rock in the first place along with One. Although every other song after that I've heard, just makes me meh (and the fact that he made Oye Como Va....... *shivers*)

The only song I really like from Linkin Park post Meteora is A New Divide. I really like the sounds they made at teh beginning of the song. But In The End (and more specifically the remix) is right there somewhere at the top of my favorite songs

But you know who's ten times better than them? Rage Against the Machine. Now THEY do the genre better than Linkin Park does anyday

And trust me, more than half the women I've talked to like Bon Jovi mostly due to his charming good looks

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
That's all good Spire, but if you like a piece of music for the lyrics, then you shuold acknowledge taht you like it for non-musical reasons.
I just really need to respond to this. Why is it that you get to decide what is and isnt music? What proof have you that lyrics arent a part of music other than what is your own opinion? It's all good Crash, but if you dont think lyrics are actually music you should acknowledge that thats just your opinion and step off your high horse.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
ok, you got me there. Black Magic Woman is what actually got me into rock in the first place along with One. Although every other song after that I've heard, just makes me meh (and the fact that he made Oye Como Va....... *shivers*)

The only song I really like from Linkin Park post Meteora is A New Divide. I really like the sounds they made at teh beginning of the song. But In The End (and more specifically the remix) is right there somewhere at the top of my favorite songs

But you know who's ten times better than them? Rage Against the Machine. Now THEY do the genre better than Linkin Park does anyday

And trust me, more than half the women I've talked to like Bon Jovi mostly due to his charming good looks
How could I forget about Rage?! X_X

Rage did it first. And was awesome. Morrello is another Guitar god. O.o

Guerrilla Radio is my personal favorite.

Tacel

Smash Lord
We got the tickets mainly for my sister, but she ended up not going due to a trip.:(
I do like Bon Jovi, though.

He also has:
- Wanted: Dead or Alive
- Shot Through the Heart
- I'll Be There for You
- We Weren't Born to Follow
- Another good one that I just forgot.

>_>

<_<

*Goes to bed*

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
How could you guys think the new cartoons these days are better than Rugrats and all the cartoons with bad references D:? I mean, I like Chowder and all, but no. I always look back thinking on how dark my cartoon era actually was.

Also, I never got hardcore into older music, for some reason I fell into the Blind Guardian/Rhapsody/Epica part of music.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
... you know, watching Ren & Stimpy now, I have absolutely no idea how Nick even allowed us to watch that. Seriously

And what would Blind Guardian/Epica kind of music be?

UberMario

Smash Master
It's pretty good, and it's funny you call it Orchestra Rock, because rock does have a lot of classical elements in it sans the instruments.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Wait wait wait wait wait

When did Spire get replaced again? I miss VII.
What? Spire's still there. Look in the bottom-right corner.

And talking about music, do you guys like more - traditional music with lyrics or just instrumentals? I prefer the latter myself for complicated reasons. Plus, singing distracts me and the stuff they sing about it almost always boring.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Heeeey, wait. Doesn't Flapjack rely on that same kind of humor?
Where as Flapjack actually has a plot.

Ren and Stimpy relied heavily on grotesque, malformed images to broadcast humor. It would be like constantly looking at the very creepy, detailed Doctor Barber every episode. I can only infer a small bit of what I've witnessed from both shows, but Flapjack, though inquires creepy themes, convays sillyness through the clash of adventure and Flapjack and situational comedy.

As for myself, I adored the types of cartoons I grew up with (lol, ending with a preposition). The mid, late 90's, and early 2000's had probably some of the best animated junk on TV.
(You already know my favorite)

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I miss Spongebob

And I'm talking about when he was cool and not annoying.

Also... how many evolutions does Spire have?

And I prefer Chowder. I loves the cheesy puns they use for the foods.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I miss Spongebob

And I'm talking about when he was cool and not annoying.

Also... how many evolutions does Spire have?

And I prefer Chowder. I loves the cheesy puns they use for the foods.
Spongebob: I agree. All these new episodes are dumb.

Spire: He started at III and know he's at VIII. So this is his 5th evo.

Chowder: I don't watch the show but when I see my little cousin watching it, I love Shnitzel. Radda.

Tacel

Smash Lord
Yes. The first (two?) season(s) of Spongebob were the best.
They also had the original voice actors.

I like the newer episodes, but they don't compare to the early ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom