• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snorlax Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
No, Justin Beiber really isn't that bad. Sure, his voice is annoying, lyrics are shallow, and songs are repetitive, but at least he doesn't sound like a hamster on crack sucking helium balloons playing an electric banjo, recorded and played in reverse.
This, really, this. Too many people let their most likely flawed opinion of his character cloud their judgment of his music.

M.K

Level 55
He's a douchebag. I don't care what his music sounds like, I don't like him representing the American youth.
Especially when he did that New Zealand interview, claiming not to know what "Germany" is and saying "we don't say that in America".

>_____>

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
He's a douchebag. I don't care what his music sounds like, I don't like him representing the American youth.
Especially when he did that New Zealand interview, claiming not to know what "Germany" is and saying "we don't say that in America".

>_____>
That just made me laugh. He admitted he had no idea what "German" was, but then went on being ignorant by saying "We don't say that in America."

That's just a fail. You really can't give him any credit what-so-ever.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum

>_____>
Musicians are not known for being role models.

Except German ones, but we don't say that in America.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend

>_____>
Attention ***** being an attention *****? NO WAI

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
That just made me laugh. He admitted he had no idea what "German" was, but then went on being ignorant by saying "We don't say that in America."

That's just a fail. You really can't give him any credit what-so-ever.
Wait... He seriously said that

Source please

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That has got to be one of the most hilarious interviews by MTV (or whatever) they've ever done :laugh:

UberMario

Smash Master

>_____>

He also walked into a door, had an interview about it less than 5 minutes later from a reporter that was standing outside, and he called it a WINDOW. XD And he's actually Canadian, which makes the "we don't say that in America" quote even more stupid.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
One liners are never relevant to the conversation. Feel free to argue Crashic's taste in music or Justin beiber's popularity but either way you're going to have to do more than post a pic that says "shut the hell up". One liners are considered spam.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Actually it was in reference to Justin Beiver's being a canadian talking about what we do and dont do in america while also responding to Crashic's post using non-Kpop music to somehow prove that kpop isnt terrible. But sure lets go with what you said.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring.
Chat roulette trolls seem to enjoy making fun of Beiber.

http://chatroulettetrolling.com/

Funny website. Trolls are hilarious.
Trolls can be hilarious and annoying, just don't be one. The Cheezburger Network of websites (failblog, chatroulettetrolling, oddlyspecific, ect.) are all good stuff.

As for the hate on Beiber, it doesn't surprise me as there will always be haters for anything that is popular, and I do mean anything. Twilight's popular, but there is a lot of demotivational posters attacking the series. When Pokemon was a new fad, plenty of groups were against it because "it corrupted our children". While that is a totally flawed argument, the real reason was because it was popular. When something someone doesn't care for becomes popular, they feel a bit insecure. That may be a catalyst to hatred towards a popular subject.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Take it to Forum Support if you really disagree with Chill's action. But regardless, he's right. One-liners are spam, especially when they contain no real content other than "shut up". Posts like that inspire nothing. At least they were discussing something, even if it wasn't relevant to your interests.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I was referencing the idea that all asian music is bad. Asian musicans are rolling out the most avante grade and influential stuff right now. No one does progressive music like Japan.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum

Spire

III
BRoomer
I was referencing the idea that all asian music is bad. Asian musicans are rolling out the most avante grade and influential stuff right now. No one does progressive music like Japan.
I will forever love The Boredoms, but honestly, a lot of that music is unbearable. Melt Banana's a good example. Avante Garde isn't necessarily "the most influential stuff", sometimes people just enjoy solid songs rather than fluctuating chord progressions and time signatures, aka mathematical noise.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Zook, popular music when refered to in a traditional setting refers to any non "art" music, art referring to classical genres. Even Jazz is considered a part of pop.

Liking music for lyrics is like enjoying a book for its font.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Zook, popular music when refered to in a traditional setting refers to any non "art" music, art referring to classical genres. Even Jazz is considered a part of pop.
Really? I always thought it meant 'popular,' or something to that extent. Either way, I wouldn't consider that pop. Nor would most people. That's like saying, I dunno, Simon and Garfunkle and Lady Gaga are the same genre.

Unless I misread that, which is possible.

So you're saying poetry is completely superficial?

Spire

III
BRoomer

No it's not. Liking music for lyrics is like liking poetry accompanied by sounds. And yes, there is good and bad poetry.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Zook.

Tacel

Smash Lord
No. The font of a book doesn't really mean anything. The lyrics of a song can mean a lot. For example, they can tell a story. So, liking a song for it's lyrics is like liking a book for what is written in it.
Really? I always thought it meant 'popular,' or something to that extent.
It does.

Also, thanks for reopening the Snorlax Room!
No more spam! :bee:

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Just read it then. Music that tries to convert to fit the lyrics is generally bad in musical terms. Bob Dylan was a horrible singer, and his melodies are completely destroyed by him focusing solely on lyrics. Yuo don't like the music, you like the lyrics. Music IS sounds. Lyrics are something completely different.

Guys I messed up my top 10 Pokemon. Miltoc should have been in my top 3.

No it doesn't. You can't classify music by how popular it is. That's not how we categorize music.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Just read it then. Music that tries to convert to fit the lyrics is generally bad in musical terms. Bob Dylan was a horrible singer, and his melodies are completely destroyed by him focusing solely on lyrics. Yuo don't like the music, you like the lyrics. Music IS sounds. Lyrics are something completely different.
I've always thought that Bob Dylan sounded very real, not necessarily bad. His voice is just the voice of a regular person, his beats are simple, as are his melodies. I like how regular, natural-sounding he is.

Reading lyrics aren't the same, because doing so lacks the right beat you get from hearing it sung, and you don't hear the way the artist feels about it. Reading Two Headed Boy by NMH is far different than hearing it.

I like the way lyrics sound. If sounds are music, lyrics, too, are music.

Tacel

Smash Lord
I guess this is all personal preference.
I love Bob Dylan. I love his lyrics. I love his singing. I love his guitar/harmonica playing. It's... soothing, and I like that. Now, some people just like his lyrics. Okay. That's all just personal preference. Does that mean that they don't like his music? Well, they wouldn't be listening to him if they didn't like his music.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Music encompasses Beethoven and Metallica and everything in between. If you're going to just say "music", you need to be more specific. Do you mean a piece of music or the piece of music minus the lyrics?

From the looks of this conversation, Zook views music in general as lyrics with sounds, while others view it as sounds with lyrics. There are genres for both, and neither is better.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Has any of our European friends played PokePark Wii yet? I'm curious as to how it is. It looked like it had a lot of potentail back when it was first revealed.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Apparently the vocals in a song dont count as sound now?

As someone who listens primarily to rap and hip hop both the lyrics and underlying beat have to mesh well for me to enjoy it. Thats not to say that the lyrics have to be particularly meaningful or even remotely so but if the lyrics and rapper dont flow well with the beat, the song sucks.

Case in point, anything ever made by drake. That mother****er is tone def im pretty certain.

"Sound without focus is just noise"

Spire

III
BRoomer
CRASHiC, you analyze music way too much. Your overcriticism destroys the art. I have a couple of music-savvy friends who think they're the bee's knees with their above-average musicianship and when they tell me the music I enjoy is bad because of how it's composed, I can't help but turn the other way. I listen to what I do because I enjoy it, not because I'm seeking to understand every node of the theory behind it. I enjoy KISS, Prince, and Electric Six, and I also enjoy John Williams, Ennio Morricone, and James Bernard. Know who I don't enjoy? John Zorn. I can like my cheesy arena rock, sex-driven soul pop, and over-the-top silly power rock, but I equally enjoy classically composed film scores, or even more contemporary electronic-driven scores by the likes of Jerry Goldsmith. What I don't enjoy is soulless avant garde experimental noise. It's like devising a giant mathematical equation simply for the sake of doing so, not for any material application.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I enjoy KISS
**** yeah. I sleep with a poster of them right beside me bed every ****ing night bro.

And you remind me of one friend I have. He says that the music I listen to is bad (which is mostly Classic Rock btw) because it's just a bunch of old geezers playing instruments. I just felt like throwing him out the window out of how fail that reason was. I tried explaining to him, then he pulled out the "oh, but you hate modern rock" which I rebutled with I just simply don't like the style, not because it's a bunch of young punks singing their heart out.

Then he shut up on the subject.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ KISS labeled Dr. pepper Cherry, which is the best thing since Baha Blast for Mdew

Kiss is win off that (and several other things) >_>

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
That's all good Spire, but if you like a piece of music for the lyrics, then you shuold acknowledge taht you like it for non-musical reasons. I like the musical chess for its story, but couldn't care less about its music. Its fine to like things for various reasons, but you shouldn't misconstrue why you like them.

Apparently the vocals in a song dont count as sound now?

As someone who listens primarily to rap and hip hop both the lyrics and underlying beat have to mesh well for me to enjoy it. Thats not to say that the lyrics have to be particularly meaningful or even remotely so but if the lyrics and rapper dont flow well with the beat, the song sucks.

Case in point, anything ever made by drake. That mother****er is tone def im pretty certain.

"Sound without focus is just noise"
What are you talking about? your basically saying that a drummer is more musically skilled than a Trombone player. This is far from the truth. There ARE musical elements to rap, and they can easily be compared to a snare or tom drum solo. The tools of music they use are the same. While a drummer uses brush strokes, a rapper uses sylabels. In the song Novemeber Has Come by Gorillaz Featuring MF DOOM, DOOM inverts his variation of stressed an unstressed sylable each time, forcing heavy syllables to wind up next to each other at an infrequent rate. Honestly, the entirty of Doom's rap on Novemeber has Come, when you break it down to the syllable level, can be played by a snare drum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrdI2iC-sYY

What are the lyrics saying? Absolutely nothing at all. Its random gibberish and dirty metaphors. The sylabels however, the sounds he's making, this is where the musical elements of rap lie. Rapping takes just as much musical ability as singing, just a different set of unrepeatable, incomparable skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom