• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smashboards Mentoring Program!

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah, I understood that. :)

By "mentors list" I meant the list of mentorships currenty going on, not the list of mentors for our program. You have to apply for that. :)

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
No, sorry, we're still deciding. We'll try to get back to you as soon as possible. Can't speak for Jungle, but I've been really busy lately so it's been hard to focus too much on smashboards.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Thanks guys, got all of those.

To those who have applied to be mentors: I've been really busy over the last few days and haven't had time to think about your applications a lot. I'll try to get to them soon when my workload cools off a bit.

Popertop

Smash Champion
I'm thinking about applying to be a mentor,
but the only time I'll really be able to do it is over the summer.

I know it says to PM, but I just wanted to throw this up here and subscribe to the thread.

The only thing is I don't have very impressive tourney results,
but I was part of Esca's crew back in the day, and I've started mentoring a friend of mine already that I will be taking to at least one tourney this summer.

I would be applying for Brawl: Samus EDIT: I think I'll do Lucario also

So really, my only credentials would be Esca vouching for me :/

If you need more, I can attend a tourney going all samus, have some Money Matches and bring in the results.

Also, have you thought about Teams Mentoring?
I know a lot of people that could use some advice for teams, and having a teams mentor or pair of mentors might be a good way to get a lot of people involved.
I know singles is more popular, but honestly I enjoy teams way more and I think that's where Brawl is at it's best.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Like I said, there's a bit of a logjam in terms of mentor applications right now (not that we're discouraging further applications!), so it'll probably take us a little while to get to it.

voorhese

Smash Master
I was accepted today, not sure yet on what i will be mentoring for exactly, because jungle wants specific characters because teaching something as broad as tech skill would be to vague. I think I will mentor for fox/falco and then I can mentor for the other high tiers as well as ganon if need be. ganon was my original main, and i play with the other high tiers a lot outside of tournaments, to help teach my friends, and to learn matchups from the other point of view, to help myself.

also I really like the idea of a teams mentor!

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Hmm, having a teams mentor is a good idea but hard to implement... I'll think about it. Please try to determine which characters you will mentor soon. What Jungle and I had in mind was that you'd teach your best or two best characters.

And yes, Jungle and I have gone through and responded to all mentor applications, so we're happy to accept more as normal now.

voorhese

Smash Master
well the problem is fox is my best, but in terms of a secondary I play all of the high tiers, but only a couple of them have made it into tournaments, those 2 being ice climbers and falco. If I had to choose 2, I would choose fox/falco. I would not mind mentoring for other characters also though, for the sake of variety. we only have "all" and fox/falco/sheik/marth. I could mentor any of the other high tiers or ganon if we want to fill up characters. If you put a gun to my head i would say fox/falco for 2 characters.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Does anyone have any input/feedback as to how their mentorships are going? Any (polite) feedback could really help us improve this program!

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah, don't expect too many requests. We have people who have been mentors for months and have had no requests. We're still a relatively small program looking to promote ourselves so that we can eventually become a thriving part of the SWF community.

But we're mainly asking for feedback from people who are mentoring someone or being mentored by someone.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I have had a few mentorships now. Most of the people who I have mentored are people who are trying to switch from brawl to melee or want to play melee but don't really have anyone in their area to play against (or both). This makes it really difficult because its hard to motivate them or give them methods or things to experiment with against other humans. Mostly I have had to give tech skill advice and answer basic questions about characters.

I have a bad conscience right now, since i think i scared my last pupil off. We had been exchanging PMs for a few weeks, and i suggested we talk via IM. A day or two after we started IMing I had a long conversation with him where I gave him a lot of very helpful advice to get better -- if you are very dedicated. I suggested he pick one character to focus on (he gave me videos of him playing 3 or 4 different characters). I tried to talk to him about spacing and zoning. Basically, I think I moved quite a bit too fast. He was already fairly good, comparably, but i guess i was asking too much out of him.

I think the biggest thing we struggle with is the fact that our pupils can't play with us. I can't turn on a gamecube and put both of us on FD and show him the minute difference between bad spacing and good spacing. I can't show him the strongest positions on the stage. I can explain these things, but i can't show them.

I hope this has been somewhat helpful. I am sorry I haven't been the perfect mentor, each person i work with I feel that i learn a little bit more, probably more than they learn from me. I really like the concept since it allows me to help new players get acclimated to the melee scene in a time where it is the least accessible due to technical barriers.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
That's very helpful, actually. Now we know what some of the main obstacles to some of these mentorships are, especially the melee ones. You're right, I never considered that people playing melee can't play online with each other.

Thank you so much for your help. We'll try to figure out how to alleviate some of the problems you've mentioned. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Sorry folks, I was away on vacation in Russia. To answer you comments/questions:

Whoooooa this is neat, sign me up I do this anyway
You have to apply to become a mentor, if that's what you want to do. Follow the instructions in the OP. If you want to be mentored, simply PM a mentor for the subject you want to learn.

Hi, I need a mentor for Mario. Anyone wanna mentor me?
Please PM one of the listed Mario mentors in the list of mentors in the first post.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Instructions: FOLLOWED

except I forgot to mention that my AIM is winnarisyou

either that or PM are both good ways of contacting me

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I sent you a message a month ago saying you are a falco mentor.
Really? xD Smashboards is funny. I'm looking in my inbox and there's nothing in there from you guys. But hey, now I know.

I haven't reached pm capacity either. I've gotten pms from like a week ago.

Edit: and what about Smash 64 Samus?

Top Bottom