• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smashboards Mentoring Program!

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Don't be shy guys, any brawl players wanna step up and learn smash64?

Better not on second thought, once you start you will never wanna go back to brawl ;)

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Sorry to double post, but just wanted to announce some updates.

1. We now have melee and smash 64 mentors specify their best characters in case someone wants to focus on those.

2. We are reinstating the "mentoring reminders" plan after a brief hiatus. Basically, every month after the mentorship began, you will receive PMs that ask how your mentoring is going, etc. We hope this will encourage a good level of communication between the mentor and pupil. We may send out more frequent PMs to certain mentorships if there's a specific reason to.

3. Well, the last few weeks have been really busy for me. But eventually I'd like to start working on Fuelbi's earlier suggestion that we have a list of mentors who are currently busy, and perhaps how many mentorships each mentor has under their belt. This, however, will be time-consuming, so bear with us if it takes a while to put this system into place.

Happy mentoring! :)

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
tl;dr wait for KG to do stuff while Jungle sips on his Mohitos from his executive office :bee:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Don't be shy guys, any brawl players wanna step up and learn smash64?

Better not on second thought, once you start you will never wanna go back to brawl ;)
well i'll be kuz, didn't notice you signed up for this too. :O

Kuz and me both know alot about smash, but kuz is PROBABLY BY A LITTLE better then me. :3

both of us are as i said experienced..but there is a slight difference between us..

I'm a mario mainer and know a ton of things about mario and how to use him; i also know how to use other characters but not as good. i use controller also.

Kuz is a fox mainer who is fair with mario,but knows how to use other characters just a good as his fox. also, kuz uses keyboard so people who are going to be using keyboard pick kuz.

I'm going to give kuz some spotlight and say if you want to learn a better all-around game with everyone then pick kuz.

If you want to learn how to play a certain character and play him well, pick me. (especially if you want to learn MARIO :awesome:)

I'm sure both of us will teach you the basics, but i wanted to point out the slight differences.

as kuz said, once you go smash, you never go back. ;)

#HBC | ѕoup

ahh..not yet, i manually put it on mine. i noticed it didn't work so well. XD

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Though it is true I play on Keyboard, the majority of people I have previously mentored have been on controller. I am currently only training one person, who is a controller link main so I have experience teach either actually. Thx for the praise though soup.

Yeah I have a pretty good mario, but since soup mains him, I would definitely speak to him about that character since he probably knows a lot more nuisances than I do. Yoshi, DK, Fox deffinetly speak to me, though I can play all the other characters at a high level. My samus is also sub par, so I would speak to soup about her as well.

#HBC | ѕoup

Though it is true I play on Keyboard, the majority of people I have previously mentored have been on controller. I am currently only training one person, who is a controller link main so I have experience teach either actually. Thx for the praise though soup.

Yeah I have a pretty good mario, but since soup mains him, I would definitely speak to him about that character since he probably knows a lot more nuisances than I do. Yoshi, DK, Fox deffinetly speak to me, though I can play all the other characters at a high level. My samus is also sub par, so I would speak to soup about her as well.

I have yet for someone to ask me to mentor them. :(

ANYWAYS
here's a little lesson.

I play a good samus, but there really isn't much to samus, samus is more about spacing and (since she can't combo well)you need to rely on baiting players into Dair traps and using your bombs efficiently. Her Recovery is fairly good, and she is somewhat of a heavy character.

tidbits of information:
Samus can sheild break with a well placed bomb to a upb. (thanks kabal :cool:)

Samus has a really strong bair and alot of players use the dair trap setup into a bair.

Samus can also edgeguard with her grab, if you time it right and the opponent doesn't expect it.

also, samus doesn't have much tech use (if not ANY) so yeah, samus is quite the challenge.

if krazyglue or junglefever wants to, they can specialize me in samus too.

every other character i'm alright with, as i said.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
tl;dr wait for KG to do stuff while Jungle sips on his Mohitos from his executive office :bee:
The shadow council works in mysterious ways.....

ahh..not yet, i manually put it on mine. i noticed it didn't work so well. XD
I will send you the code.

Though it is true I play on Keyboard, the majority of people I have previously mentored have been on controller. I am currently only training one person, who is a controller link main so I have experience teach either actually.
I use an Xbox 360 controller. Is that a popular choice? For me, it seems pretty convenient. Like I said, I'm starting to get into 64 a bit. I might need a mentor when I get less busy. Right now my two "mains" are mario and kirby, though I don't really know enough to call them mains yet. They just feel the most natural to me.

I have requested Magik0722 as as PT mentor, he confirmed, and we've made progress already.
Cool. I will add this to the mentor list while Jungle sips on his Mojitos from his executive office :bee:

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Kirby is a great character to learn when starting out for smash 64. Most opponents at your level wont punish his recovery and his fair/dair/bair fsmash/dsmash utilt and dtilt are too good. Mario is also pretty good for beginners because of his good length due to rising tornado and good priority upb.

Xbox360 controller works fine tbh. Most of the people I train use that or the real n64 one. Using the xbox one wont limit you very much until you get up to a very high level and djc becomes tricky.

If you decide to actually devote more time to ssb64, then you should definitely hit me or soup up. It will be worth it.

Can I have the code as well?

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Ok, thanks. Yeah, I mean, it's not like I've never played smash before, I just haven't done 64. So I know the general strategies, but I just need to learn the nuances of 64. Right now I'm using Project 64, but I heard you need Project 64K to actually get online. Is that true?

And yes, I will give you the code.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Yup project 64k allows you to play online (this means smash64 mentors can actually play with their students w/o traveling and on a stable connection). That is what pretty much everyone in the smash64 sections uses, albeit a few traditionalists still wont give it any consideration.

All the info you need to play online/download the best clients for optimal performance/FAQs are here

if you have any remaining questions, feel free to PM or VM :)

I realize you are not a smash nub, but assuming you are coming from brawl, there is a lot to learn.

ty for the code

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'm mainly a brawl player, but I also have a bit of melee experience. From what I've seen, 64 seems to be more similar to melee than brawl. Anyway, yeah, I think I'll sign up with you for smash 64. Just letting you know, I won't be able to start until this weekend because I'm really swamped with work right now.

#HBC | ѕoup

ooohh.. a mario and kirby mainer in smash64.

darn it kuz.

kuz, or krazyglue, if you need some mario advice you can still hit me up.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
May I request a mentor for Snake? I need a ranked one probably to get any help.
I also need a melee mentor for Sheik if that's possible on this thread (too lazy to check OP on this bad internet right now).

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Hey everyone, thanks for following the procedures. :)

Just let me know if the mentor seems unresponsive (for an extended period of time).

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
It would be really helpful for us if you PM'd both KG and I your application from this post on.

Thank youuu

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
The Smashboards Mentoring Program is pleased to announce that we have our first mentor from the Brawl Backroom!

Legitimacy points +10

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I would like to switch the character I am mentoring.
I have found myself much more capable (and interested) in using the following:

Brawl: Snake D3
Melee: Sheik

Do I have to reapply under those pretenses to be able to help out?
These characters are way easier than Marth to mentor as well xD

Top Bottom