• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smashboards Mentoring Program!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I asked hilt to be my Olimar mentor and he said yeah. I know i'm already being mentored by Dyno but I think I can handle both and Olimar is an awesome secondary forr Wario.
Yep :) Didn't know if it had been posted in here originally or not, haha.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Ok guys, I'm a little less busy now and I should be able to take over most mentoring thread functions once again. I'll read all your requests shortly.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I'm not sure what you mean.

-------------

Anyways, I've updated the mentorships list and will read the mentor applications over the next few days. Thanks for your patience, everyone. ;)

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
What a great idea that's ruined by acceptance.
I'm not sure what you mean.

-------------

Anyways, I've updated the mentorships list and will read the mentor applications over the next few days. Thanks for your patience, everyone. ;)
I think he's annoyed that in order to become a mentor you have be "admitted" as such, and not simply due to the desire for helping.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah, looks like it's someone's alt anyway.

Anyways, I should be done reading mentor applications either today or tomorrow and then I should be all caught up.

Exalted

Smash Lord
I couldn't resist the urge to be a Grammar Nazi even though I knew it was an obviously pathetic attempt at trolling.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
SuSa, who made the banner, put it in quotes. If it's a quote, we can't change what the person said without inserting brackets, which just look ugly. And I don't want to insert a [sic] either, so I'd rather just leave it as is.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
SuSa, who made the banner, put it in quotes. If it's a quote, we can't change what the person said without inserting brackets, which just look ugly. And I don't want to insert a [sic] either, so I'd rather just leave it as is.
I don't get it. What is this referring to?

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I don't get it. What is this referring to?
The grammar arguments. They're arguing over whether the wording is correct, but we can't change it if it's a quote without using brackets.

For example, if someone says "I are the best", you can't just change the quote to "I am the best". You have to say "I [am] the best", with the brackets indicating that a word was changed from the quote, but it still represents what the speaker meant. Alternately, you can use [sic] to denote that the quote is in it's original form even though it is incorrect ("I [sic] are the best"). This indicates that the person using the quote realizes that the grammar is incorrect but has reproduced it authentically. Both options, in this case, are a bit gratuitous for such a small error, in my opinion.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
The grammar arguments. They're arguing over whether the wording is correct, but we can't change it if it's a quote without using brackets.

For example, if someone says "I are the best", you can't just change the quote to "I am the best". You have to say "I [am] the best", with the brackets indicating that a word was changed from the quote, but it still represents what the speaker meant. Alternately, you can use [sic] to denote that the quote is in it's original form even though it is incorrect ("I [sic] are the best"). This indicates that the person using the quote realizes that the grammar is incorrect but has reproduced it authentically. Both options, in this case, are a bit gratuitous for such a small error, in my opinion.
Oh jeez no wonder I'm doing so terribly in English. Anyways, I'm sorry to have misguided the thread for a bit.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Im looking for a pokemon mentor. I know pretty much nothing about the competitive scene; im not exactly looking to start doing tournaments but i'm quite interested in learning more about it.

voorhese

Smash Master
I want a melee mentor!

i need help on the mental game.

might help to say i play the top 7ish characters, but only fox so far in tourneys

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Guys, you gotta PM a mentor if you want one! I'm not gonna do it for you... Following instructions is helpful...

That said, since I check the thread all the time, I can mentor Sveet if he wants me to. Sveet, PM me if you're interested.

EDIT: To the people who applied to be mentors: I've read you applications, and I'll make my decisions over the weekend.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Im looking for a pokemon mentor. I know pretty much nothing about the competitive scene; im not exactly looking to start doing tournaments but i'm quite interested in learning more about it.
That said, since I check the thread all the time, I can mentor Sveet if he wants me to. Sveet, PM me if you're interested.
Make sure he understands he actually has a choice between Gen. IV and Gen. V, KrazyGlue. That's all I really have to say on that. xD

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
there are gen 5 tutors? im doing a white play through right now. I'm pretty new, though, so im mostly looking for an introduction to how competitive pokemon works.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Uh, yeah, I'm not Japanese so I don't have Gen 5, and I wouldn't consider myself qualified (though I have looked up all the new pokemon, moves, items, etc). That said, the metagame for Gen 5 is extremely new even in Japan, so I most likely won't allow any Gen 5 tutors for now. I know people are excited and want to start analyzing all the new pokemon, but nobody is really going to have a good sense of the new metagame for a while.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I have no idea if anyone has ever brought this up before (so I apologize for probably being repetitive) but could there be a mentoring program installed for smash64. I pretty much stay holed up in the 64 section and rarely visit the other pages on this site, but I think a smash64 mentoring program could be a good idea. I love teaching the game of smash and would gladly sign up to be a mentor if this were ever able to take place.

Though the 64 section does have significantly more good players than total neophytes, there is still a need for a mentoring system.

If pokemon games have mentors, smash64 should definitely have them imo.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah, soupamario has already been lobbying to open up a smash 64 mentoring section, and I'm going to do just that over the weekend. We're looking for general mentors right now (NOT character-specific) who have a good knowledge of game mechanics and can teach each character reasonably well. If you feel you are qualified, feel free to apply by sending evidence of your skill to me and Junglefever. Tourney results are the most helpful, but you can also show us insightful posts you have made that illustrate your knowledge of smash 64.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Sure thing, will do.

I definitely fell I am qualified. I play all the characters proficiently and have lots of knowledge about the game. I have even sub-consciously memorized some bits of frame data :)

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
my last name irl is kuzon.

this one girl called me the kuzinator in like 4th grade and now, 8 years later, everyone in my school still calls me that or simply kuz. I am really fond of the name now.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
its coo-zon

when people see it spelled out, they either call me cousin or mutilate it with a french accent (im not french).

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'm sure someone is going to say it, so I might as well.

Don't you guys think that belongs more in PMs or VMs?

edit- also you guys should team at a tournament and have some cool team name

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Or that food that has coos (spelling?) in it twice.

Pineapple express : "kouskous, the food so nice, they named it twice."

TAKE IT TO VM lmao

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Ok, I think I've addressed all the applications by now. If I missed yours accidentally, please contact me.

Note: Smash 64 mentoring is now available! :awesome:

Top Bottom