• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Disciples

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I just mention how I play Smash, and usually people say that they play it too.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Lol what do you mean Jungle..?

Well, maybe if you're doing a project in your room/house, after finishing work pop in Melee, and just amaze them. Then just spread the word

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
hmmm...i've tried but it seems most people just dont seem interested in actually playing :/

Skrah

Smash Ace
Well you just got to find the casual smashers in your school. Start talking about it or just bring it up somehow, and just take the guys that say "Yah I play it!" and illuminate them

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Yeah. Even talking about other fighter games will bring up smash. Or talking about the Wii or something.

Like, a met a friend at school 2 years ago who could wavedash and everything, but he didn't know about the competitive scene. I'm just a generic asian, and he was like, one of those frat jocks. I never would have guessed he smashed. He was in my video class and we were all talking about mortal kombat and he was like "oh, I'd rather play smash" and I was like "oh yeah? Me too!" and then....we kinda looked at each other. He asked me if I could wavedash, and it all started from there.

I was also browsing smashboards in a lab, and this metal head approaches me and he's like "=O You go on smashboards?" and that's how another uncalled for friendship started.

Good times.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
hmmm...i've tried but it seems most people just dont seem interested in actually playing :/
Is there like a video game club type thing? If there is, go and bring Melee. People will definitly play. And see how good you are. And will want to get better. There are so many people who know about wave-dashing and l-canceling and don't even know what to do with it.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Lol. I'm doing this. My librarian said that we might have a game day. If we do, I'm bringing a setup.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Yah there might be...I was sick the day we had like Club Fair or whatever the **** it is..

GOod call DH

:D

love you al l :D

soap

Smash Hero
and then....we kinda looked at each other. He asked me if I could wavedash, and it all started from there.

lol, i always felt akward asking people that question. like "dude can u wavedash?" It made me feel elitist or something.

i always just asked if they played competitively, and then they were like "ya i can wavedash and stuff"

lol

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Edit: Oh god...a lot of my posts lately are turning into these >.<

Jam, your post is actually an extension on something I had mentioned in one of my other posts. (Not saying you took it from me. It's just that I had planned on doing a full extension of it, xD.) I still plan on expounding on it, I just plan on bringing a few more people in with it. What I HAVE noticed, by the way, is that there's a surprisingly decent amount of people we haven't touched. I'm going to cross over into that territory. A few people do just tend to put their tournaments up on AiB, but sometimes that can be about the extent of it. In spending some of my time over there...I've noticed how many people there actually play Brawl and prefer Melee. Some of these people aren't on Smashboards or got driven away. (Yes...that DOES happen). Some people don't even know about it. Then you have those who rarely ever show up on Smashboards but BOOM, you find them on AiB. Oh and guess what? You find out that they don't actually live THAT far from you!! (True story). There are people on AiB that don't even play Brawl. They actually do JUST play Melee, or they quit Brawl for Melee. THESE are the people that need guidance.

I plan on presenting this on....a less riling up the troops level. (You did a great job, but some people might take offense. *cough*brawlelitists*cough*) I think a redoubled effort will bring new talent into the Melee community. I mean heck...west coast has this kid...Connor. He's actually pretty darn beast. He's like...inbetween JMan and Xzax's age. I KNOW for a fact that there are others out there, and some in our own area. Who knows...maybe we can even drag people out of retirement with our efforts. Heck...done the right way, it might even drag people into the 64 community. A surprising amount of people have been playing 64 lately. (It's a shame that the mechanics of comboing can be even more broken in that game, xD <3 64.) If I owned a bloody 64 I'd be playing it for the sole purpose of refining my smash DI, if not competitively.

Seriously, though...this is a chance to kick start the community and recover from the many disappointments we've had recently. One major one being the fact that NO version of Smash is on the MLG OR Evo circuit. Now according to Blue...he's quite possibly got Gamestop's attention to consider sponsoring Brawl. THIS is our chance. It takes time for people to consider what it looks like for tournaments to be sponsored. I'm going to end before I actually finish expounding on what I wanted to and make a STUPIDLY long post. (sorry guys). Case in point:

Jam is right, we can step it up, and get us some padawan learners. We can also hold some local tournies, too.

Binx

Smash Master
I think just having 2 or 3 good people playing against eachother in public could go a long way, not very many people have seen the kinds of things that go on in a *good* melee game.

and once again, I support the Melee shirt idea. Thats a very good way to get people watching.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
This thread is amazing. I'm totally doing this. And probably buying a shirt. Problem is I typically wear dress shirts (just my style, I dress nicely for some reason), but y'know.

I've got a few friends back home who play a little, but one in particular who's been getting better. His friends play and he just destroys them since he's been playing with me. He's got a lot to work on, but I can tell he's got potential. Same thing with a guy who's in the process of getting converted and coming to our church. He said he's been playing Brawl a lot more lately, but I'll open his eyes. I can tell he's into it competitively, but just hasn't had the resources to develop his skills. And he's Asian, so, you know he's already got potential (lol stereotypes).

But I totally agree--Spread the word!

On a side note: Isn't it hilarious how Smash is so much like Christianity? Not just any religion, but smashers are a lot like Christians in that they just see things from such a different point of view, are convinced it's the truth, and do their best to 'enlighten people'. Not because they're better than the other people or whatever, but because they've seen the good that smash has brought.

It's hilarious to me considering I'm both a smasher and a Christian. I always thought this was really funny.

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace
people just need to learn why melee is such a good game. I think it is amazing. At first I just played it because I thought it was fun. Even people who don't know anything about smash are still mysteriously drawn towards melee. It was just meant to be.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I was already starting to get one of my close friends into the competitive scene when I read this thread! :bee:

which for some reason is invariably mid-tier or lower
Mostly, yes, but Fox is surprisingly popular with the casual gamers.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
One of my friends plays melee with me and says he has the desire to get good.

He can wavedash but thats about it, I've tried introducing SHFFLing but he just says "shorthopping is too hard" and gives up.

All he does is play mario and go around doing random smashes that I run into cause I'm stupid but I still kick his *** everytime.

I've shown him Bob$ and SHFFLing tutorials and smashboards but he doesn't seem to care about those so much.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Fox is surprisingly popular with the casual gamers.
I honestly and TRULY wish that the people who rant "TR4Q" would realize this.

Dude...I'm gonna try and play more random matches at Gamestop from now on, xD. I'll just have my copy of Melee and my memory card, and I'll ask them to hook up the GC to the TV on display. They'll do it...if only for a few matches...they'll do it.

Edit: Most people I meet play either one of the top characters in Melee (save Peach. Most just don't know what she's capable). Such as Fox, Falco, Marth. Then it just gets sketchy from there.

Geist

Smash Master
Las Vegas has moved on to Brawl primarily, and only myself and maybe a few others randomly scattered about still play melee.
I've already kind of been doing this - 2 of my brothers are getting into competitive melee as well as about 4-5 of my friends.

The best way to get them hyped? Show them shined blind XD

rehab

Smash Journeyman
I've met a couple of fighter people that didn't like Melee because they thought it was too much dial-a-combo, thought it had camping problems, and didn't take to how much the community bans. They also thought the extremely loud game bashing between Melee and Brawl players reflected negatively on the smash community, and didn't like "most smashers' attitudes" when it came to meeting them in person.

Lemon?

Smash Apprentice
Ive managed to get like 15 people I know to play Smash (bawrl), funny how they'd never heard about that game and when I showed it to them, they all liked it and now i usually bring some of them over to my house after school to play. 7 of those 15 people play the game competitively with me, the others just "play" it and only 1 of them actually poses a "threat" to me but he's still really easy to read, but that's beside the point.

Me, being the competitive player I am, and after reading a lot about melee and hearing people saying it was "better" (this is relative) than brawl, I finally gave in and ordered the game after playing brawl for like 7 months and the 64 one since it came out. I got it 3 days ago (as of this post) and I really like it, it's fast, there's combos and it's a lot harder to play, but that's why I like it.

Now, I showed melee to those 7 people I mentioned and only 2 of them actually liked the game. The other 5 said it's harder, they didn't think it was faster (lol) and they said they couldn't do anything, they also said the graphics were worse (who gives a flying ****, honestly?) ><

So, my question is, how am I going to get them to play melee? Show them some flashy combos, 0-death em, what? I'd really like to get em into melee, it would help me learn the game by playing more people.

Also, I have to get one of those shirts :D

Cam3ron

Smash Cadet
This may sound odd, but if you're going to get someone interested in melee by playing them, you should avoid certain characters. Don't play fox unless you can play Fox amazingly well, Shine gimping someone 4 times wont interest them much. Don't play Falco too much either as getting lazer camped and shine->dair'd isn't particularly interesting. Falcon, Mario, IC's(don't you dare wobble) Marth, characters who can combo and do interesting things are what will get their attention.
THIS.

Good post. Gonna have to remember that when teaching my friends about melee. I've already made the mistake of shine gimping them tho lol.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I've met a couple of fighter people that didn't like Melee because they thought it was too much dial-a-combo, thought it had camping problems, and didn't take to how much the community bans. They also thought the extremely loud game bashing between Melee and Brawl players reflected negatively on the smash community, and didn't like "most smashers' attitudes" when it came to meeting them in person.
>_>

They are soooooo wrong.

1) Dial-a-combo? WTF. Teach them how to DI and maybe they won't get 0 to death'd all the time. If there's anything I've learned about Melee it's that there are very few things that cannot be controlled, as far as the flow of combat goes. There are literally options for just about every thing that you do.

2) Bans are in place for good reason. If they don't believe you, take them to Hyrule and laser camp them with Fox all day. Prove a point.

3) Yeah, as if other fighting game communities don't have spats over their favorite games. Here's an idea: Go to a Super Turbo thread and say that 3rd Strike is the best installment of the Street Fighter franchise. Trust me. There's bad blood.

4) Actually, the Smash community is pretty **** chill in comparison to most video game communities. The only problem that I have is that they're young. >_> It's nothing personal or anything, but younguns tend to have a verdant disposition that grates on the older crowd's nerves.

Smooth Criminal

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
This thread is amazing. I'm totally doing this. And probably buying a shirt. Problem is I typically wear dress shirts (just my style, I dress nicely for some reason), but y'know.

I've got a few friends back home who play a little, but one in particular who's been getting better. His friends play and he just destroys them since he's been playing with me. He's got a lot to work on, but I can tell he's got potential. Same thing with a guy who's in the process of getting converted and coming to our church. He said he's been playing Brawl a lot more lately, but I'll open his eyes. I can tell he's into it competitively, but just hasn't had the resources to develop his skills. And he's Asian, so, you know he's already got potential (lol stereotypes).

But I totally agree--Spread the word!

On a side note: Isn't it hilarious how Smash is so much like Christianity? Not just any religion, but smashers are a lot like Christians in that they just see things from such a different point of view, are convinced it's the truth, and do their best to 'enlighten people'. Not because they're better than the other people or whatever, but because they've seen the good that smash has brought.

It's hilarious to me considering I'm both a smasher and a Christian. I always thought this was really funny.
You know, one of the reasons I started this thread, and definitely the reason why I worded it the way I did, was because the guy I was talking to about all of this is a Christian. He was explaining his Protestant faith to me (not trying to convert me, just explaining the reason why he think s a certain way). I told him that I really appreciated the fact that he didn't scream that he was a Christian to me the first time I met him, and he said to me, "I don't have to yell about it, I live it, and people pick up on that."

And he's absolutely right. You don't have to walk up to random people and say, "Hey, can you wavedash?" If you just demonstrate your love for the game, by playing it in public, wearing shirts, hosting tournaments, teaching others techniques, or however else you choose to, then people will come to you. You don't have to work for it. Just live your lifestyle, and those that are attracted to it will make themselves known.

EDIT- Also, high five to Smooth Criminal for using the phrase "verdant disposition".

Sox

Smash Journeyman
I'm not good. I can do the ATs and try to work them into my game, but i'm still not good. However, I want to be good, but I have nobody to play with. My friends at home love smash and I've gotten one of my friends to admit that melee is the better game, but yet he only wants to play brawl. At college the only game people want to play is halo... So i need help in two areas: The first is to get to the level of some the competitive players, the second is to convince my friends (one of which could be very good) that brawl isn't worth playing when there is melee to be played. If anyone is near URI (university of rhode island) or W. Hartford CT in the summer, please let me know, I'd love to play.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
You don't HAVE to convince them about it. I played my friend in both. I beat him in both. I also showed him why consistent rolling is bad. Sure...when you say that....things tend to get...a bit voracious...so be it. People learn eventually that you don't have to roll around like a maniac to avoid getting hit. He saw it better in Melee than he did in Brawl. When I just SHOWED him the techniques and on top of that...beat him with characters HE wanted to see, it worked. Play the game, and cater to them...somewhat.

side note:
I've never liked items....the word hate doesn't even begin to describe. I think...Abhor, having disdain, loathing, would so much suit me better. They pissed me off before tournament rules were set....at least when you're trying to get a serious game in. Now for fun...give me all bob-ombs and motion sensor bombs on Onett or Princess Peach's caslte. fun stuff. ^_^

Moving on:
Keep your rule set as you would, and kind of let them run the show from there. Don't go for your best....try using someone you don't normally. (I just play Roy without abusing AT's or Pichu...'cuz Pichu is fun.) Make sure you can win handily with them, though. Then as you're playing, make conversation and so on. Don't want it to be tense.

Just some suggestions that you could try out. Also...don't forget to punish needless rolling. It tends to hammer the point through. Also...if you REALLY want to pull people from Brawl...pull a Teh_Spamerer and camp the crap out of them to show them what'll happen in a tournament. (No...I don't condone Brawl bashing to get people to come to Melee. I feel that Melee competitively is a better game, but Brawl is still fun.)

Oracle

Smash Master
I'm not good. I can do the ATs and try to work them into my game, but i'm still not good. However, I want to be good, but I have nobody to play with. My friends at home love smash and I've gotten one of my friends to admit that melee is the better game, but yet he only wants to play brawl. At college the only game people want to play is halo... So i need help in two areas: The first is to get to the level of some the competitive players, the second is to convince my friends (one of which could be very good) that brawl isn't worth playing when there is melee to be played. If anyone is near URI (university of rhode island) or W. Hartford CT in the summer, please let me know, I'd love to play.
That almost exactly describes my situation. No good people to play, just the scrubs at my school. I did convince them that melee was better, though

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
You guys just need to think of a way to show these group of people the actual game in raw form (with skills you gained from playing competitively).

^^

Maybe you could get a school projector and hook a Gamecube up to it or something. Just do it.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Been trying to convince non-competitive players to become competitive for a while, with limited success unfortunately, but still some.

side note:
I've never liked items....the word hate doesn't even begin to describe. I think...Abhor, having disdain, loathing, would so much suit me better. They pissed me off before tournament rules were set....at least when you're trying to get a serious game in. Now for fun...give me all bob-ombs and motion sensor bombs on Onett or Princess Peach's caslte. fun stuff. ^_^
Are you sure you're not actually me?

First game of 64 I played I started hating items. It didn't help that I f-smashed a bomb-om that just spawn to finish said game.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
You know, one of the reasons I started this thread, and definitely the reason why I worded it the way I did, was because the guy I was talking to about all of this is a Christian. He was explaining his Protestant faith to me (not trying to convert me, just explaining the reason why he think s a certain way). I told him that I really appreciated the fact that he didn't scream that he was a Christian to me the first time I met him, and he said to me, "I don't have to yell about it, I live it, and people pick up on that."

And he's absolutely right. You don't have to walk up to random people and say, "Hey, can you wavedash?" If you just demonstrate your love for the game, by playing it in public, wearing shirts, hosting tournaments, teaching others techniques, or however else you choose to, then people will come to you. You don't have to work for it. Just live your lifestyle, and those that are attracted to it will make themselves known.

EDIT- Also, high five to Smooth Criminal for using the phrase "verdant disposition".
Heh. Not sure the same applies to Christianity. If we truly believed what the Bible said (which I do), we'd be terrible people if we didn't tell everyone we knew and did what we could to show them the truth. However, I don't shove it in people's faces--but I live it and talk about it.

But either way, Jam, I have a lot of respect for you.

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
I've been working on this, since befroe I saw the thread even haha. Planned on making a shirt with CF kneeing, talking to people about smash, and inviting them over.

It's really difficult to initiate that conversation though, I find. Since I'm lin the 12th grade, everyone is all worried about their grades, and it just seems silly to bring up video games, despite how awesome Melee is. Moreso, as much as I'd love to bring Melee to school, I don't think there are any teachers that would condone playing video games at school.

Help?

rehab

Smash Journeyman
>_>

They are soooooo wrong.

1) Dial-a-combo? WTF. Teach them how to DI and maybe they won't get 0 to death'd all the time. If there's anything I've learned about Melee it's that there are very few things that cannot be controlled, as far as the flow of combat goes. There are literally options for just about every thing that you do.

2) Bans are in place for good reason. If they don't believe you, take them to Hyrule and laser camp them with Fox all day. Prove a point.

3) Yeah, as if other fighting game communities don't have spats over their favorite games. Here's an idea: Go to a Super Turbo thread and say that 3rd Strike is the best installment of the Street Fighter franchise. Trust me. There's bad blood.

4) Actually, the Smash community is pretty **** chill in comparison to most video game communities. The only problem that I have is that they're young. >_> It's nothing personal or anything, but younguns tend to have a verdant disposition that grates on the older crowd's nerves.

Smooth Criminal
I'm trying D:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Items are fun thing to screw around with, actually. I still remember my noobish 64 days.
When rolldodge was the only form of movement! Eat your heart out Wavedash!

On a more positive note, I'm spearheading a school Melee Ladder (yeah I got permission when I showed my SF II Turbo crazy Bio Teacher how awesome it is.)
Hopefully, I can at least show everyone why Copetitive Melee is so unique and incredible in my last few months of school :(.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
You are so right! For some reason we started talking about smash, (I was arguing with a friend why Cpt. Falcon was way sexier than Ganondorf), so I told him to decide it on a fight. He had played melee before, but not on the level that I play. Needless to say, I beat him. HE was amazed by all the SHFFLs and the general speed of my Falcon (Tho its pretty noobish if you ask me), so I taught him some basics. Now he wants to come every weekend so I can teach him stuff. Now I got like 5 friends that want to learn how to play. They even call me Sensei lol.

Anyways, brilliant idea.
I dunno, falcon is probably the slightest unit of measure sexier than ganon, but i think a ganon vs falcon match (where the ganon doesn't get wrecked) is sexier than any falcon ditto >_>

DippnDots

Feral Youth
The best way to play against someone worse than you is to, not sand bag, but play SLOW, really ****ing SLOW, counter every single move they have with a tilt or whatever, don't even try to combo them until the last stock. Just shut down every move they make with one of yours and back off. Show them that the game is about thinking first, before anything else.

This will get them thinking, and it's amazing how much of an improvement you can see. (it can also discourage them though, depending on the person)

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
If they are the scrubby type who whine and scream whenever you kill them, stay away and don't waste your time.

Top Bottom