• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Dictionary

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
-We don't bother to change anything and laugh about it when a smash comes out that doesn't even allow GC controllers and Z makes about as much sense as any old letter.
Yeah, I don't mind really.
Zair is a nice word to say. It makes sense for people who play with Samus on other versions of Smash (I don't use Samus on any other versions).

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey so I've made another big update. I asked my mate EverAlert to look over the OP as he has always been a bit more clued-in to this stuff than I have. Other than adding quite a few more things, we gave it a good polish -(this included re-wording some things to make it clearer and more correct, getting rid of a bunch of unnecessary alternate names, reinstating some names such as 'SDI', and a whole bunch of other little things that you may not even notice). There were a couple of things that we ultimately left as is even though neither of us were happy about it (which I'll probably have another crack at later), but in general I think people will be much happier with the way the OP is now.
Feel free to give any feedback on the updates, positive or negative.

One more thing, and it's very important. I've decided to take a more passive role in this thread and merely record rather than be an initiator of change. I have come to believe that this is the appropriate stance to take in a thread such as this. Everyone else can feel free to discuss name changes if they so wish, but I will no longer be taking any active part on this topic in my posts or in the OP (which has been edited to this effect).

The character specific section is slowly coming together but I would and always will appreciate any help in this regard. Thank you.

Last edited:

Zenpie

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zenpie
Switch FC
SW 2173-5465-7616
I knew a good amount of these terms. This was helpful dude, thanks. I didn't know about the C4 with Link or Toon Link. How does one perform this move?

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Reserved:

This thread is not finished yet. Other than the fact that this will be an ongoing project, I have barely been able to touch the character specific jargon. Any help in this regard will be most appreciated; just note what I wrote at the top of the character specific section, that any word/acronym submission has to have been accepted and commonly used by that character board. Also, as I mentioned, if you would change anything that I have written, then please let me know.
Can you include what 'Zoning' is? Not sure it is what I think it is. Thanks for the thread btw.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
@ Zenpie Zenpie : As you read, C4 is Z-dropping a bomb on the ground or a platform so that it doesn't explode. To elaborate further, the bomb won't explode so long as it doesn't drop very far relative to the ground or platform. So to C4 a bomb on the ground, you must Z-drop the bomb just before you land. C4 on platforms is easier because you simply time the z-drop so that the bomb drops right above/on the platform.

@ Fangblade Fangblade : Zoning is closely related to Spacing, neither of which are in this thread yet due to an oversight on my part. I've heard them both used in different ways before, which isn't helpful for when it comes to trying to write a definition because there will no doubt be someone who won't agree. I'll tell you what, I'll write below my own understanding of what they are, then if no-one disagrees (unlikely) I'll add them along the same lines as I've outline. What I'm hoping for however is that someone will come in and say, actually technically the definition is more like 'X'. In any case, I'll get the definitions up eventually.

Tbh, the definitions of spacing and zoning are a bit of a mess, but there can be seen to be a common theme amongst them.
Some people will tell you that they are synonymous.
Some will say that 'Spacing' relates more to the use of attacks themselves, for instance hitting with the tip of your attacks, while zoning relates more to the positioning of yourself in relation to the opponent with the whole context of the stage and each other's options in mind.
'Spacing' is often used to describe all of the above as often spacing your attacks will require an appreciation of positioning and the opponent's options etc, the main goal of 'spacing' being to hit and not get hit.
Then there's another use I've seen that is all to do with risk/reward, and everything else is understood purely in these terms. 'Spacing' then becomes adjusting the gap between you and your opponent in order to alter the risk/reward ratio in your favour. 'Zoning' in this context can mean a more defensive form of spacing that simply tries to reduce your opponent's reward options, usually be creating more space between you.
Then projectiles are thrown into the mix. I believe that the immediately above distinction between spacing and zoning rings true here because zoning with projectiles is all about staying away from the opponent and throwing out projectiles as a means of stifling their approaches, i.e. 'camping', while spacing with projectiles feels like they could be used to approach, i.e. used to raise the chance of reward.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a vague idea of zoning being a more defensive form of spacing that limits the opponent's approaches/options/rewards with spacing being more of an umbrella term. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Ok, so after asking EA again, he suggested two very simple definitions and I decided that I had been over-thinking it. Anyway, it's updated with the definitions of both spacing and zoning. Thanks again Fangblade for pointing out their absence.

I've also added 'bug' and 'glitch' with the help of Shaya, not because they are smash specific terms but because there seems to be widespread confusion about how these terms are meant to be used.

Last edited:

Pee-Gcuatro20

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pee-G.quatro20
3DS FC
3540-1271-4845
Never even knew there were SO many terms! Thanks this definitely helps while reading other post.
Edit: what's a footsie?

Last edited:

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Can we come up with a better name than "sex kick?" So bad. And been around far too long.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
There's a new grab tech that hasn't really been named or talked about much yet.

It's when you do a dash grab someone near the ledge and the momentum carries you both off the ledge giving you a chance to follow up with an aerial move or a footstool. I know Captain Falcon can do it and I've seen Metaknight do it so I'm guessing you need a fast run both other than that I don't know much.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
The black lightning that happens in smash 4 after getting a kill/near-kill hit is called a "Deadly Blow" in the game tips, but I've seen it called (and call it myself) a "Critical Hit" or "Crit"
There is a piece of equipment that increases your chance of getting a "Critical Hit" (doing slightly more damage on an attack) so referring to the black lightning as a Crit would be problematic.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
First of all, now that things have died down a bit, I just wanted to let it be known that I've been updating the OP according to the changes brought about by the 1.0.4 patch. For example, there is now a new section for all the jargon that relates to things that were patched out and had made their first appearance in smash 4 and therefore did not belong in the 'jargon from past smash games' section. Anything that was changed but still remains in the game has been updated to reflect those changes.

As for this 'deadly blow' and 'critical hit' thing, I'm afraid that I'm not yet convinced that the smash community has adopted such terms based on a quick search, so I won't be adding either for now. The words 'deadly blow' only showed up three times in relation to smash 4 other than in this thread. The first was someone quoting nintendo (I presume), while the other two weren't being used to describe a hit that causes the red lightning effect, rather they were used in a more general sense (the third being about a potential moveset for a minecraft character...).
http://smashboards.com/guides/a-guide-to-changing-fate-lucina.4/
http://smashboards.com/threads/how-is-ganondorf-now-compared-to-brawl.368268/#post-17650662
http://smashboards.com/threads/make...ake-im-done-here.335316/page-17#post-15872852
'Critical hit was similarly poorly represented from what I saw, most uses relating to something else like equipment, Lucina's/Marth's final smash, or the sweetspot of an attack e.g. Luigi's up-special.
Of course, if and when any such term is adopted and used by the smash community, I would be more than happy to add it.

Last edited:

AccountsDept

Smash Cadet
the loser's portrait on the victory screen
NNID
Xeno
First of all, now that things have died down a bit, I just wanted to let it be known that I've been updating the OP according to the changes brought about by the 1.0.4 patch. For example, there is now a new section for all the jargon that relates to things that were patched out and had made their first appearance in smash 4 and therefore did not belong in the 'jargon from past smash games' section. Anything that was changed but still remains in the game has been updated to reflect those changes.

As for this 'deadly blow' and 'critical hit' thing, I'm afraid that I'm not yet convinced that the smash community has adopted such terms based on a quick search, so I won't be adding either for now. The words 'deadly blow' only showed up three times in relation to smash 4 other than in this thread. The first was someone quoting nintendo (I presume), while the other two weren't being used to describe a hit that causes the red lightning effect, rather they were used in a more general sense (the third being about a potential moveset for a minecraft character...).
http://smashboards.com/guides/a-guide-to-changing-fate-lucina.4/
http://smashboards.com/threads/how-is-ganondorf-now-compared-to-brawl.368268/#post-17650662
http://smashboards.com/threads/make...ake-im-done-here.335316/page-17#post-15872852
'Critical hit was similarly poorly represented from what I saw, most uses relating to something else like equipment, Lucina's/Marth's final smash, or the sweetspot of an attack e.g. Luigi's up-special.
Of course, if and when any such term is adopted and used by the smash community, I would be more than happy to add it.
I get that. It's just that the tip in Sm4sh describing the black lightning is called a Deadly blow. Thought i'd point it out.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
"Toon link= Gay"?!?!?! Lol, ok then
What can I say? I've taken the position of merely recording what I see being used, and the fact is that the Link boards use that as jargon. In order to understand the posts on the Link boards, it is necessary to understand their jargon, and this in particular is something that would cause a lot of confusion for the uninitiated.

Sirgabite

Smash Cadet
there is a tech that is called DDS (dashing down smash) where when in the middle of a dash you start dashing in the other direction and then you are supposed to hear a squek and after that squek you start inputing a down smash making you do a little slide while charging it ( does not work with smashes that locks you in place) for more information and a demonstration about it go here http://smashboards.com/threads/sliding-d-smash-and-other-trickery.381050/

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
My internet is down so I'm at a friend's house atm which means I can't test out the cool sliding d-smash thing (which I would prefer to do before writing about it), but I will certainly add it at some point later on so long as other people are using the same term to describe it.

I know that shine stalling is a thing in smash 4, but does Fox's Fair give his jumps a boost any more? Or alternatively, is the term 'foxcopter' used to simply describe Fox's Fair? (Again, I'd check all this myself normally, but I'm currently experiencing technical difficulties.)

Sirgabite

Smash Cadet
My internet is down so I'm at a friend's house atm which means I can't test out the cool sliding d-smash thing (which I would prefer to do before writing about it), but I will certainly add it at some point later on so long as other people are using the same term to describe it.
peaple are calling it DDS (dashing down smash) or SDS (sliding down smash) now on the official thread

Last edited:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
did some testing, foxcopter is still in but the boost you get is largely reduced.
In brawl, you could rising fair, and then doublejump fair for a big boost.
In this game, from what I can tell, the end lag of fair doesnt allow you to double jump at the peak of it and you fall a bit too far to make Rising fair > doublejump fair worth it, you go about as far as just a regular jump > double jump.
To get the most boost I found a regular jump, followed by a double jump fair at the peak of your first jump gave me the highest overall vertical reach from the ground.
Foxcopter was also used colloquially to describe foxes fair, but the true correct usage is when you use it while rising for a momentum boost.

I've found some other cool stuff foxy, we'll go through it next time you come down.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I know that shine stalling is a thing in smash 4, but does Fox's Fair give his jumps a boost any more? Or alternatively, is the term 'foxcopter' used to simply describe Fox's Fair? (Again, I'd check all this myself normally, but I'm currently experiencing technical difficulties.)
Fox's fair definitely still give him a boost, just not as much as it was in brawl. I think that it's worth adding to the dictionary.

Also "Drill" is another term that's used for Fox's Dair

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I've been adding bits here and there behind the scenes as always, but I decided to open up for discussion my most recent intended update before I make it.

The term in question is 'chaingrab'. In smash 4, the traditional sense of this word was purposefully made redundant as someone who has been grabbed cannot be re-grabbed until a short period of time has passed. As such, I had put the term into the section for 'common jargon from past smash games'. And then certain characters found ways to manipulate their multi-hit aerials to stall out the time in between grabs; they grab and throw the opponent then drag them back down with their aerial and then combo this into a re-grab. Many people have been referring to this as 'chaingrabbing'. (I've also seen it referred to as 'pseudo-chaingrabbing' though.)

As such, I currently intend to change the given meaning of the term 'chaingrab' so that it specifically relates to this use and add a note that the traditional sense of the word (which I will briefly explain as it too is still often referred to by the same word) does not apply to smash 4.

If you have any thoughts or opinions you'd like to raise about this, then feel free to do so now. Otherwise, I'll make the update as planned in a couple of days.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I think people just call them locks.
If that's the case then that only complicates things further because we already have a 'lock' with a very different meaning.
Do you have some examples of it being used in this way? (I had a brief skim over the first page of the search results and didn't see anything, but if you have specific instances in mind that are readily accessible for you then that would be brilliant.)

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
A footstool is one way you can begin to lock a character, or rather it's a way to ensure that they are forced to hit the ground in such a way that they can't tech, but yes, that kind of lock. The actual locking part is done by a specific move with low knockback etc.

Last edited:
Missing SS (Sun Salutation) for WFT and hoarding (keeping an item in your pocket inventory so your opponent cant generate any more, such as ROBs gyro) for Villager imo

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Fox I think I discovered a controller trick, and I like to call it 'Offensive Jumping'.

Basically you hit X then A in a quick groove-like motion. Performing this will make you do an automatic neutral aerial immediatly when you jump off the ground. This trick only works on GC/Pro/Gamepad controllers. This isnt too crazy as Perfect Pivoting in my opinion, but I think this would be extremely helpful for characters like Villager, Mega Man, Pit, and Pitto.

Heres a video example: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9IMXTwdYnwU#

Warning: Terrible video quality/Shaky hands.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I think I can safely say that this was already known. It doesn't have a name because it doesn't need one. Also this isn't really the place to post such things. If you think you've discovered something (which you haven't btw, just to save you the trouble) then you'd want to post it here.
This is the part where I give you a word of encouragement so I don't sound like a complete jerk. I couldn't think of anything, but just imagine that I did.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I think I can safely say that this was already known. It doesn't have a name because it doesn't need one. Also this isn't really the place to post such things. If you think you've discovered something (which you haven't btw, just to save you the trouble) then you'd want to post it here.
This is the part where I give you a word of encouragement so I don't sound like a complete jerk. I couldn't think of anything, but just imagine that I did.
I've only know one guy who does that. Thanks for reminding me though :)

Wow that was embarresing.... >-<

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah don't worry. Everyone's gotta start somewhere. Most of us still remember what it was like to be new so there's no judging going on here. The main thing is that your intentions were in the right place, which is always appreciated.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Wow there's nothing for Yoshi
Egg Toss Slide - Dashing and using jump, cancelling it with egg toss so you slide on the ground instead in a small amount of distance.
Edge Cancelled Eggs - Grabbing the ledge then using Egg toss to throw eggs and regrab the ledge. (Probably not as safe since no invincibility on 2nd grab, but with our mobility on egg toss now we can just float back on stage) Only 2 (or 3?) can be used down from 5 in Brawl.

There's a few others I'm missing most likely but also not sure which ones should be accounted for.
Example: Egg Lay Foot Stomp - In brawl it was getting them with the tip of the tongue and not eating them while being able to Jab or whatever out of it if we reacted to it fast enough. Smash 4 is swallowing the opponent but they do not turn into an egg and end up in front of us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvhZTZ27mOQ

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Wow there's nothing for Yoshi
Egg Toss Slide - Dashing and using jump, cancelling it with egg toss so you slide on the ground instead in a small amount of distance.
Edge Cancelled Eggs - Grabbing the ledge then using Egg toss to throw eggs and regrab the ledge. (Probably not as safe since no invincibility on 2nd grab, but with our mobility on egg toss now we can just float back on stage) Only 2 (or 3?) can be used down from 5 in Brawl.

There's a few others I'm missing most likely but also not sure which ones should be accounted for.
Example: Egg Lay Foot Stomp - In brawl it was getting them with the tip of the tongue and not eating them while being able to Jab or whatever out of it if we reacted to it fast enough. Smash 4 is swallowing the opponent but they do not turn into an egg and end up in front of us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvhZTZ27mOQ
Yeah I had a whole bunch of stuff for Yoshi then it all got patched out XD. I've added 'ETS' as well as "ECE". The latter came close to not being added due to a general disuse of the term in smash 4, but it met the criteria.
As for Egg Lay Foot Stomp, I couldn't find it (in discussion for smash 4).

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
There's no discussion cause for now we just know that it's random and if Yoshi is ever brought up anywhere it's complaining how dumb he is for two pages then left in the wind again till the wind is too lazy to keep it up in the air.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Shouldn't spot dodge be on here?
I didn't want to list things that I thought didn't potentially need explaining for the sake of keeping things concise. However I grant it that it's difficult for me to get into the mind of someone who is new to all of this, so if it is believed that 'spot dodge' (as well as any other more basic things) needs to be explained, I will gladly add them. (Once I get back.)

Top Bottom