• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Dictionary

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I didn't want to list things that I thought didn't potentially need explaining for the sake of keeping things concise. However I grant it that it's difficult for me to get into the mind of someone who is new to all of this, so if it is believed that 'spot dodge' (as well as any other more basic things) needs to be explained, I will gladly add them. (Once I get back.)
Well great, thats two embarresing things that happened in this topic.

I should just stop talking.

HiddenKitsune

Smash Cadet
NNID
CosmicCucco
3DS FC
4639-9331-4635
Not sure if it was mentioned already but there's something I found on a stage I created waay back when in Brawl. I sort of boxed in a stage to get to VERY high percentage (999 is possible) and if you hit the character at just the perfect angle, they'll blast above to the top of the stage where there is a platform and if said person is dashing, they'll just run in place for a decent amount of time. I call it, to this day, wind pressure. An easier instance to observe is when Sheik returns on Vanish, it can push a character. DK's Wind Punch, Mac's KO hitting without doing damage, etc. I guess what i mean to ask is "Is this listed or did I completely miss reading it or is it completely just common knowledge and not worth listing?"

Manfri

Smash Rookie
NNID
AlisGelida
3DS FC
2294-7079-1671
Warning Received
I really would to join the competitive world... looking for a specialized guide or 'mini-accademy' I found this thread.

THANKS A LOT!

Also, are there a video on Youtube which explain / introduce the competetivie world for new bies (talking about competitive Smash world, not the general Smash complex) like me?

AWWW Sorry for the triple quadra posting!! Browser bug @_@''

Last edited by a moderator:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
"scaling" or knockback scaling" is another term for knockback growth. It might be beneficial to add that to the knockback growth description to avoid people mistaking them for different things.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Thanks for that @ Zelkam Zelkam .
I've added it along with a few other character specific things and some formatting stuff I've been meaning to get done.

Most notably, I've finally been forced to split up the OP into two posts. It kept crashing on me...

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
This thread is awesome for someone like me who doesn't understand a bunch of the stuff that seems like everyday, common terminology to the seasoned vets. So glad to have found this, thanks.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm surprised that "The gentleman" isn't listed under Little Mac.

Also, Ganon's UTilit = Volcano Kick? Or is that just a totally made up term?

Then again, so is "the gentleman"....
Just to be sure, I searched for 'gentleman' on the Mac boards and no results came up. This word has apparently never even been used there. If you could link me to some examples of 'the gentleman' being used in reference to Mac, then I'll be able to help.

The Volcano Kick checked out. There were a bunch of other names they gave to their moves that I must have overlooked, so I'll double check to see if they are actually being used and then add them as well. Thanks for that.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Just to be sure, I searched for 'gentleman' on the Mac boards and no results came up. This word has apparently never even been used there. If you could link me to some examples of 'the gentleman' being used in reference to Mac, then I'll be able to help.

The Volcano Kick checked out. There were a bunch of other names they gave to their moves that I must have overlooked, so I'll double check to see if they are actually being used and then add them as well. Thanks for that.
I found the term on reddit been used a few times, when talking about Little Mac:

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2sn4lc/any_tips_for_fighting_little_mac_as_little_mac/
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashgifs/comments/2qvi3a/little_mac_gentleman_combo/
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2p0opi/calling_all_little_mac_players/

Also, I've seen Axe kick been used for Falcon's Up tilt as well:

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
The axe kick barely checks out via my own (admittedly crude) way of doing things which is to see if the smashboards community has accepted the term or is at least showing signs that they have. So long as more than one person has been shown to use the term, this can be considered passable. I try to not be too strict about these things, but I also want to stop just anyone from being able to add a term to the dictionary when the rest of the community is against it or doesn't use it.

The gentleman however... I'm really not sure how I should approach this. Does it have to be the smashboards community that has accepted the term? It is arguable both ways. The gentleman, to my previous knowledge, was exclusively a C Falcon term. Now do some posts on reddit change this? I have to tread the fine line between merely writing down and recording what I see being used and having some very small discretion as to what I actually write down so as to make the dictionary more official. At what point does it change from people using a word incorrectly to that use being deemed correct? It's a tough question.

On the whole, for now, I feel that I should leave the gentleman as a C Falcon exclusive term. If there was evidence of smashboards users using the term in a broader sense to include any three hit Jab combo that is cancelled at that point to avoid the rapid jabs afterwards, then I would have no choice but to add 'the gentleman' as a term in its own right separated from any specific characters for the sake of the people reading through and wanting to know what those users where talking about.

With that said, I'm always open to persuasion.

Last edited:
NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Falcon's Fair is commonly called "Knee of Justice" or "Knee" and his Dair is called "Stomp".

Also sliding DACUS was patched out. Not sure about DACUS in general.

edit: nice thread btw

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Toon Link is usually called 'Tink' for some people.

And sweetspotted Luigi's Super Jump Punch is called 'Fire Jump Punch' or simply 'FJP'.

Super Jump Punch is also usually shortened to 'SJP' for both Marios and sourpsotted Luigi's Super Jump Punch.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Waveshine for Fox and Falco.
Do you mean, put waveshine in the 'jargon from past smash games section? Because sure, I can do that. There's heaps of jargon from past smash games that I haven't added though. I just wanted to have the more common ones that people reading through the smash 4 boards will nonetheless probably read at some point.

Toon Link is usually called 'Tink' for some people.

And sweetspotted Luigi's Super Jump Punch is called 'Fire Jump Punch' or simply 'FJP'.

Super Jump Punch is also usually shortened to 'SJP' for both Marios and sourpsotted Luigi's Super Jump Punch.
Thanks for that! They all check out. I've added them.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Do you mean, put waveshine in the 'jargon from past smash games section? Because sure, I can do that. There's heaps of jargon from past smash games that I haven't added though. I just wanted to have the more common ones that people reading through the smash 4 boards will nonetheless probably read at some point.

Thanks for that! They all check out. I've added them.
Yeah, that what I mean :p

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Is haze walking the same thing as pivot walking? ...Or was it called pivot boosting? I dunno, it seems to me that it used to have a different name.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Is haze walking the same thing as pivot walking? ...Or was it called pivot boosting? I dunno, it seems to me that it used to have a different name.
Now that I look into it, this thing has so many names. Craq Walking, Pivot Boosting, Pivot Walking, Boost Walking, and of course Haze Walking. I think the trouble was that it kept being 're-discovered' and named something else every year or so. In any case, I'll add Pivot Boosting and Pivot Walking as alternate names as they seem to still be in use. The other two seem to have been forgotten years ago.

Edit: Oh god there's also Doop Walking. Wtf? Anyway, I'll sort it out.
The only differences are in how you do it it seems. It's the same thing otherwise.

Edit: Jeez it's such a mess...

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
You may also want to add in 'Cape' in Dr. Mario's section to refer to his 'Super Sheet'. I have read people calling Dr. Mario's Super Sheet simply as 'Cape' for simplicity sake.

Oh, and 'SJP' can also be used to refer to Dr. Mario's Super Jump Punch.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Three terms I think ought to be added:

:4diddy:
Hoo Hah (Hoo Ha): Diddy Kong's Down Throw to Up Air combo. Down Throw and Up Air are sometimes referred to as Hoo and Hah respectively. Occasionally, his Up Air alone is referred to as Hoo Hah.

:4luigi:
Luigi Ladder: The act of two ally luigis hitting each other with the weak hitbox of their up b to continuously renew the other Luigi's use of Up B in a team match with team attack turned on. This can be used to keep both luigis hovering below the stage and is thought of as a stalling tactic.

:4rob:
Gyro Cancel: The act of canceling Rob's airborne Down B by shielding the frame after Down B is used. This results in Rob returning to his normal falling stance. Can also be performed by shielding, jumping with the shield button still held, and pressing Down B.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Three terms I think ought to be added:

:4diddy:
Hoo Hah (Hoo Ha): Diddy Kong's Down Throw to Up Air combo. Down Throw and Up Air are sometimes referred to as Hoo and Hah respectively. Occasionally, his Up Air alone is referred to as Hoo Hah.

:4luigi:
Luigi Ladder: The act of two ally luigis hitting each other with the weak hitbox of their up b to continuously renew the other Luigi's use of Up B in a team match with team attack turned on. This can be used to keep both luigis hovering below the stage and is thought of as a stalling tactic.

:4rob:
Gyro Cancel: The act of canceling Rob's airborne Down B by shielding the frame after Down B is used. This results in Rob returning to his normal falling stance. Can also be performed by shielding, jumping with the shield button still held, and pressing Down B.
I added hoo hah only yesterday I believe, but I decided not to put it in the Diddy specific jargon as my research showed that it is sometimes used to refer to any two-hit combo that is similar to Diddy's D-throw to U-air. This may have been a mistake. I'll put it in the Diddy section instead. The other two I've heard of before, but I'll do my usual check just to be sure before I add them. Thanks for that.

Edit: It would seem that the word 'ladder' has never been used on the smash 4 Luigi boards. I don't know what to say. I'll figure something out.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Chiming in on "Gentlemen" but colloquially it's use referred to characters which had a multi jab finisher as well as a single hit finisher.
Prior to Smash4 I believe this only applied to Falcon.
Now it also applies to the two pits and Little Mac (any others?). There's probably merit in there being a more general term for it,

Perhaps a lot of this jargon is now coming in through Stream/social media, as commentators are always looking for a 'catchy' term for anything that exists in the game (and they hope and pray it does catch on and get big). This doesn't necessarily stem to conversations that happen on Smashboards, but rather seem common in the general Smash vernacular.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I had a search through smashboards and there does seem to be growing precedent for using 'gentleman' in a broader sense, though of course the vast majority of use is still for Falcon. It is enough however. I'll make the appropriate changes.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I've heard of it for falcon's simple finish, but also the used to describe not using the Multi-jab for any charcater (Ex. diddy, fox)

Last edited:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Question: What do I say to people who say Hyper Armor, then want proof of Super Armor meaning infinite armor because for some reason we're all idiots and s/he's right? This is on GFAQs, btw.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Question: What do I say to people who say Hyper Armor, then want proof of Super Armor meaning infinite armor because for some reason we're all idiots and s/he's right? This is on GFAQs, btw.
While I don't care about what happens on GFAQs, this is actually a potential issue.

The smash community has always made a distinction between 'heavy armor' and 'super armor' while in other fighting games there was a similar distinction between 'super armor' and 'hyper armor'. Now I don't claim to be an expert, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but these two distinctions aren't strictly the same. Smash 'super armor' and Other Game 'hyper armor' mean the exact same thing, but Smash 'heavy armor' and Other Game 'super armor' mean slightly different things. Smash 'heavy armor' is based on knockback that would have otherwise been given while Other Game 'super armor' is based on damage given. I'm pretty sure that this is how yoshi's DJ heavy armor works and I'm also pretty sure this is how Bowser's Tough Guy heavy armor works too (a fresh mega man jab lemon at maximum distance will start to make Bowser flinch somewhere above 400 percent outside training mode). If this is the case, then the Other Game distinction has no place in smash. Because people have been using 'hyper armor' recently on smashboards however, I'm willing to let it be an alternate name for super armor for the sake of people who want to know what is meant by 'hyper armor'.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I'm very curious, why does Toon Link have the "C4" tag when he can't use such in the game? Every time he drops a bomb (no matter how low he is), he always drops it with an accompanying explosion. Can you explain why C4 is here then?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm very curious, why does Toon Link have the "C4" tag when he can't use such in the game? Every time he drops a bomb (no matter how low he is), he always drops it with an accompanying explosion. Can you explain why C4 is here then?
Oh well, Toon can drop a Bomb on the ground without it exploding. It's just the timing is tighter than it was in Brawl. It's much easier to drop it on a platform while passing through it though.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Oh well, Toon can drop a Bomb on the ground without it exploding. It's just the timing is tighter than it was in Brawl. It's much easier to drop it on a platform while passing through it though.
Tested, you are correct, but it's still very impractical. Can you test out if it can block projectiles like Link's?

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Really surprised there's nothing under Samus yet.

CS = Charge Shot

You could also add DCS(Dense Charge Shot) and MCS(Melee Charge Shot), but they're not used around the boards too much.

AetherStorm

Smash Cadet
NNID
AetherStorm
3DS FC
3093-7092-7192
Amazing dictionary.
But no Jump Cancel Rock Smash for Charizard?

(And how about labeling Marth's Dair spike as "Why would you even try?" Kappa)

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Amazing dictionary.
But no Jump Cancel Rock Smash for Charizard?

(And how about labeling Marth's Dair spike as "Why would you even try?" Kappa)
This isn't an AT list, or at least it isn't meant to be. I have 'Jump Cancel', and it is expected that people (especially charizard mains) would know what 'rock smash' is.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Can you remedy your description of Bowser's tough guy? About how Bowser will armor moves until he reaches a certain damage percentage. It is actually based entirely on the move in question, and its knockback values. See the tough guy spoiler of this thread if you need more examples. A better description of tough guy is that:

Bowser will not flinch from low knockback moves up to a certain point, depending on the move. This armor is constant whether he is in the air, moving, or attacking. However, he can increase his armor values slightly if he crouches and stays completely still when struck.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Can you remedy your description of Bowser's tough guy? About how Bowser will armor moves until he reaches a certain damage percentage. It is actually based entirely on the move in question, and its knockback values. See the tough guy spoiler of this thread if you need more examples. A better description of tough guy is that:

Bowser will not flinch from low knockback moves up to a certain point, depending on the move. This armor is constant whether he is in the air, moving, or attacking. However, he can increase his armor values slightly if he crouches and stays completely still when struck.
Oh wow, I thought I had already fixed that. I must have mixed it up with making this post http://smashboards.com/posts/18598555
The current incorrect information is probably due to this http://smashboards.com/posts/17861364/
In any case I'll fix it immediately. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Top Bottom