• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The smash community needs to come together

Allied

Smash Master
Sup,

I just wanted to bring attention to you that brawl/melee need to step it up. By stepping it up i mean we need to encourage newcomers and ensure people to stay in the community, i noticed usually when a new player is usually brought into the community they are immediately made fun of or shunned. That shouldn't be the case we should encourage and welcome all new players.

I was just on Allisbrawl chat talking to this kid who just got into brawl who was fairly good just still learning and he was telling me how he was attending his first ever tournament in south jersey. I talked to him for a bit and definitally gave him the good friend vibe and now hes coming to more tournaments + APEX.

I just want to make sure everyone melee and brawl does their part to make sure every feels welcome and special and gets their full enjoyment. Especially when i started coming into the scene i got made fun of in my first tournament and tournaments after that i was that "New guy" .

I remember right now at one of the virdians it was like my 3rd tournament and dmbrandon came over and 10 dollar money matched me and just was being a cocky jerk (i dont blame him hes dmbrandon <3). even though i almost won he just trashed talked me i didnt let it get me down and i also noticed later on alot of other members do this to newer members and i started to realize these players aren't coming back.

So my message for people reading this and players of both melee and brawl please if you see a new person posting let him know whats up, if you see a new player at a tournament introduce to him all the players there, give him some tips and encourage forum use, hell even invite him out to eat. Doing this alone i guarentee smash will get 3x as bigger.

Thanks and also i am not trolling this is real LOL.

This thread is sponsored by 100% Juice, We get it in. and God Kais

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I whole heartedly +1 this.

I remember a time when the smash community was so envied because of the 'communal' vibe people received from it. I'd like to think we haven't passed it. I'd like to think that we're still capable of winning tournaments and then sitting down to eat dinner with the guy who came in last place.

EDIT: Whilst I really support the message behind this thread, I felt that it better belongs in 'General Brawl Discussion' rather than Tactical. But I left a redirect to this thread in there that won't expire for like, a week, so everybody should see this.

Allied

Smash Master
One of the coolest things i thought was when Dmbrandon / Ether / Ninjaedd and Doom came down to a tournament down where i live and we all hang out, had a great time and went out to eat

that really started it for me in smash

Kantō

Smash Champion
i completly agree with you man.

my region specifically is seems to be growing by the month and i couldnt be happier.
poeple need to reach out and start finding new players everywhere though.

if there are tourneys in your area, go to them. bring your friends and see if they enjoy the game as mych as you do. if there arent tourneys in your area, make them.

someones gotta do it. become a TO in your region, you will find so many people that smash that you would have never met if you simply didnt do anything about it.

Jtails

Smash Lord
word, there are some pretty cool smashers here and there. lol

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Everyone was mad nice to me at my first 3 tournies so far. diem was one of those nice ppl. lol I agree with everything you said though. I would like to add that I think TOs sort of hold to greatest responsibility in making newcomers feel welcome at a tournament. That doesn't mean ppl should mm scrubs and berate them (lol) nor should they avoid helping out a new player who clearly needs it.

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
good thread and qft. also this community is filled with whinny babies/scrubs that can never respect people for what they do. like for example everytime i beat someone good people say its ether a 1. john 2. fluke 3. something else completely
but those ppl are losers though... ;)

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
also in my 1st tournaments people were cool and stuff and everytime i lost to someone good i would find them on allisbrawl or something like that and tell them how good they were and ask for some advice, then wen i got good and started beating good ppl all i got were johns and ppl telling me how lucky i was :(

dealth0072

Smash Journeyman
<3 you Allied.
I would really like to do all the North Jersey tourneys, but overly protective parents probably wont let me attend stuff like VC until I'm 16. I probably will go to Apex day 1, not sure about 2 because that would involve me either sleeping in a hotel near the venue, or going all the way back home, and coming back next day, which would be a pain in the *** to my parents.

But anywyas I'm trying to start a community in South Jersey, because it really does not have one. Chibo did his part putting Fusion together, and I'm gonna try and do mine.

Like I said, I think the Smash Community is great and I've made some friends, but I do have limitations due to people in my life not wanting me to go to tournaments for video games, because the think it is a "waste of time, waste of my money" "I should focus on other things." and multiple other things.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
when allied was new i told him he was cute and then we won a doubles tourny togther.

make friends people. make the new guys feel like they are playing the right game. only diddy kong players should be made fun of really.

Vinnie

Smash Master
then wen i got good
Stop saying this, this is why people say you carry yourself the wrong way.

then wen i got good and started beating good ppl all i got were johns and ppl telling me how lucky i was :(
People wouldn't do it if you didn't do it first. You openly said you sandbagged vs Viva. NOBODY SANDBAGS AFTER THEY JUST GOT DONE PAYING 10$ TO ENTER, ROUND 1 IN WINNERS.

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
Stop saying this, this is why people say you carry yourself the wrong way.

People wouldn't do it if you didn't do it first. You openly said you sandbagged vs Viva. NOBODY SANDBAGS AFTER THEY JUST GOT DONE PAYING 10$ TO ENTER, ROUND 1 IN WINNERS.
whatever, i thought i got good(better) since my 1st tourneys and its noticeable

i didnt sandbag him and never openly said it

Vinnie

Smash Master
whatever, i thought i got good(better) since my 1st tourneys and its noticeable

i didnt sandbag him and never openly said it
In my post, I never said you weren't good. Lots of people are good, it's just that, most people don't go around saying it. When they do, people learn to dislike them.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
...I didn't even know that this happened.

I always thought the smash community was relatively welcoming. It's strange that newcomers would get bashed in anyway shape or form. I've never seen a newcomer trash-talked in person, I've seen it online, but never in person. The community seemed really friendly when I started going to tourneys. Of course, my particular region may be an exception. Even if you've got no money, you can always offer them some practice and tips to help them do better. Every little bit helps.

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
Well I've just recently registered and have not posted a lot, but I can tell this is a great place and there are a lot of good people here. What has helped me the most so far is KayLo! beating my butt to get me to stop accidentally breaking the rules. I've already gotten two infractions already, but I'm shaping up. I also look forward to meeting all of the pros out there, such as Esam, Anther, and a couple others.

I haven't really been the victim of any peoples' harassment yet. I sure love SWF though! I'm most excited to be a part of this amazing community! :chuckle:
I'll just remember to be kind to new people when I'm better familiar with the people here someday!

Top Bottom