• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 64 Video Critique Thread ~ post your videos for strategy/advice/tips =D

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Was gonna do more critique but ciaza literally covered more than half my points

General techskill stuff - z-cancels, aerialing and missing edge grabs, sweet spots, some missed techs (but i'm sure this isn't really that huge a concern)
Edgehogs are good vs samus, forces her to recover onto stage, letting you edgehop d-air > pivot f-smash or something - do be wary of being up-b'd while edgehogging though
Actively tech - seemed like your teching was rather predictable, jaime punished you a lot for it
Be aware of hitboxes - a lot of the time you threw out empty f-airs and b-airs that wouldn't have hit even if samus was moving right at you
Don't falcon punch edgeguard unless you are truly a boss

Not a bad falcon there, just a little bit of oversight, plus you were playing jaime, who was playing a hard-to-combo character anyway.

Would do specific times, etc but I'm in a lecture atm

SSBPete

Smash Lord
missed a few z-cancles and tech rolls, and even when you did tech roll they were fairly predicatble.
when recovering, try to sweetspot OR at least DI off those bombs jaime puts right on the edge of the stage.
even DI-ing out of those up-b's can be really useful because it leaves samus defenceless.
pretty decent, going up against jaime aint easy.

Nemesis Warfare

Smash Rookie
Hope this isn't in the wrong topic. (Honestly I didn't trey to hard to find one.) But I was wondering what the best way would be to film actual games of SSB64 on the console??? Thanks. :D

Battlecow

Play to Win
The ****ty way is just to get a video camera and focus it on the screen real perfectly. But that's ****ty.

The cool kids get a capture card. Look it up. IDK any more than that maybe OTHER PEOPLE do

the correct place for this would probably be the "ask a Q get an A" thread

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Throw more **** at Yoshi. Try to keep in safer spots than just on ground level vs yoshi, like using the platforms.

Doing close combat fighting with Yoshi is soooooooo risky as Link.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
More boomerangs needed, make him come to you. You're running into neutral territory too much, Yoshi is much better at punishing from random neutral hits than you are. U-Smash less, only if techchasing. Time F-Airs better and use them defensively if needed.

Dunno what to say, Sheer's Yoshi is, in a sense, completely different to the Yoshis I've played.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Short hop towards Sheer crouching and jump again with a dair

Sheer will jump into it every time

Pro advice right there

Except now he'll probably stop. Well, at least don't aerial him when he's obviously going to parry your ****.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
WTF don't throw **** at Yoshi. Have some manners.

Ohhh Star Noob. It's pretty easy to tell when someone is trying to bait my parries. Pretty easy to adapt to it too.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I like the constant rivalness between sheer and starking. You guys should hit each others up irl with some boxing gloves. =D

The Star King

Smash Hero
Rivalness? We're BEST BUDDIES

Seriously though, if I constantly tease/talk trash about someone it probably means I like them. Wut

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
I'm capped at 1Mbps upload speeds so online play is pretty rough for me. If anyone knows a way to play online with < 1Mbps upload speeds that would be awesome!

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
my upload speed is 0.20Mbps and i can play online fine with no lag. If ur laggin its probably because of ur router or something else

DMoogle

A$
I'm capped at 1Mbps upload speeds so online play is pretty rough for me. If anyone knows a way to play online with < 1Mbps upload speeds that would be awesome!
SSB online takes very little bandwidth. I think it's like 5-10KB/s. So if you're having problems, it's not your bandwidth.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
I'm connected via eithernet to my router and then to my cable box. Could the problem be here?

I'm not sure what could be wrong, but i consistently get lagspikes, around 19-24 a game. Its just annoying being suck around 50-55 FPS.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Ignoring the lack of lasers, Fox could do his raw spacing a little better. B-Airing into Up-Bs is a no-no. Also, get your teching/Z-cancels etc down-pat. It's already rather good, but I saw some missed techs and a missed Z-cancel that could have led to a punish > KO. Learn to make small walking movements after things like jabs.

Falcon could definitely combo better. He has to learn when to follow up with U-Airs and the like.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but was this a video chosen from a selection of recordings which made you look better than the others did? I get that feeling for some reason.

Neon!

Smash Lord
my brother (cf) doesnt play this game competitively but is pretty good, ive gotten better since this but yeah it was taken from a group of recordings

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i saw the stage, paused the video and came back to say that this matchup sucks ***

it's a friendly, so there's not a huge amount i can say...your link is similar to mine in a lot of ways...d-tilts, hookshots and jabs where they should not be lol

not enough projectiles, even though it's against fox
when you up-b to hit them (as opposed to sweetspotting) consider sweetspotting instead, since link's up-b has a wtfhuge hitbox which goes through the stage anyway
up-b out of shield is an option vs fox (not a good one, but still)
personal thing, not enough f-air, reverse bair or reverse nair :3

i did like the u-tilt > dash attack at 1:35 or so, good decision

RickySSB

Smash Ace
More Horizontal aggressivity with the boomerang and Fairs, SH Dair and..... Bombs lol

Top Bottom