• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 64 Video Critique Thread ~ post your videos for strategy/advice/tips =D

asianaussie

Smash Hero
after djc land-cancel u-tilt, should've djc land cancelled to the next platform, jabbed, run-off slow d-aired him into the tornado and finished with a reverse b-air, pretty elementary stuff

i don't know if that's entirely possible, but it doesn't matter because you're not suppoesd to ask for critique on combo videos lol

nice combo though

Froski

Boss of Bosses
after djc land-cancel u-tilt, should've djc land cancelled to the next platform, jabbed, run-off slow d-aired him into the tornado and finished with a reverse b-air, pretty elementary stuff

i don't know if that's entirely possible, but it doesn't matter because you're not suppoesd to ask for critique on combo videos lol

nice combo though
I welcome the input.

It might be an idea to implement in a remake.

really good combo man
Thanks

mikeduncan23

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0_r5p-LCd4

Yoshi on Falcon

Need some criticism on this here video.

After you bank him off the tent at :11 seconds you should have either killed him when the momentum was highest with a downb (for excitement purposes) or done something rather than a few more utilts and then a downb. Would also love to see a few utilt dair chains? And its always fun to start these yoshi combo's with an egg :smirk:

Twilight Sparkle

I don't play Luigi/DK/Samus much
lol, although not a true combo video, it IS how I normally play... minus the chain grabs and double pounds for being relatively unsafe. So what-have-you =p

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Only watched a few matches from first link.

first match:

1) Shine less grab more. Especially on shield, but also off jabs. Jab grab -> gimp is easy kill on DL.

2) You hit him with dtilt a few times but then didn't capitalize with a good combo at all. That should have been a death combo / gimp attempt but you did a few 1st hit uairs and then let him get out. My general advice here is that you really really need to capitalize when you get in this situation.

For the two specific cases where this happened Falcon was at fairly low percent so you could have done an uair (both hits) to rack up a bit more damage while keeping him in the juggle and then could do some kind of fairs -> nair combo or something to knock him off the edge for an easy edgeguard.

second match:

dtilt -> aerial might have been a more effective edgeguard than fsmash at that percent on his first stock

third match:

1) really gotta do a better job of running away while he has respawn invincibility. you lost two stocks by getting hit while he was invincible.

2) at the end (9:40) that dash attack is completely pointless - if it had hit it would have had no knockback/hitstun since he was at 4%. At that time and at 9:45 when you successfully approach him after he gets up I would be trying to dtilt -> gimp. Dtilt pops him up for the easy gimp. I see that you were really trying to shine shine gimp but that's what got you killed. Dtilt -> shine shine gimp would have been easy. Again though too much shine IMO.

fourth match:

1) low percent jab on the first stock is useless.

2) Again on first stock at 10:24 you try to shine him mid combo and miss. This should be a death combo / gimp opportunity. Shine would have been difficult to follow up with even if it had hit - you could have just utilted him a few more times to set up a death combo/gimp.

3) At 11:30 he goes literally right above you - a perfect time for an utilt or uair to start a combo. But you completely miss him with a really late dtilt in the wrong direction. I think this was just input error but thought I'd point it out.

4) At 11:37 you start a combo and pop him up with an uair. At this point I'm trying to do double jump bair -> bair/uair(first hit) -> usmash on the top platform. For an easier combo you also could have just done fair -> (fair?) -> shine gimp after the utilt.

5) At 12:12 when you shine him you could have just waited on the ledge and edgeguarded rather than trying to follow up with another shine (which didn't work in this case as he was too far away already, although you killed him anyway)

6) It seems like your first instinct after every aerial is shine. Think about when a grab or dtilt would be a better followup (they lead to combo/gimp much more easily when opponent is in middle of stage, and are also better on shield than shine)

7) 13:31 you jump right into his dair. I've just noticed that this has happened a few times throughout these matches - it seems like this player's go to move is the dair in this situation. Just something to be ready for so you're less likely to jump into it next time.

8) Match end - I think you could have killed him here without the risk of going off stage like you did. Even though it worked out it was definitely pretty risky. Or even if I do go offstage for the second shine then immediately after the second shine I'm jumping up and to the right and then doing upB back to the stage so that he can't upB grab me. You kinda fall straight down for a second and then jump right into his upB. Would have been bad if you were at higher percent.

Ok gotta go to bed, hope this was at least slightly helpful

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
In the first match, when I got the dtilt and I was doing first-hit uair stuff, the third first-hit uair was supposed to be a two-hit uair so I could continue the juggle on the top platform, but I messed it up.

As for shine, my philosophy is that any time spent not shining is better spent shining.

Thanks for all the advice though.

TANK64

Smash Lord
As for shine, my philosophy is that any time spent not shining is better spent shining.
lol seriously xD.

The planet earth has a serious issue with shining though. It's like everyone is scared to do it!

----Aussie tourney with not a damn shine all day.

<3 Aussies... don't hurt me.

But seriously, peeps got issues.

B Link

Smash Lord
Gimping people with shine is one of the most humiliating ways to kill your opponent. I didn't watch your vids yet but I highly recommend learning the art of the shine gimp.

B Link

Smash Lord
I just watched some of your matches and spamming standing shine =/= shine related gimps.

Ironically my advice above still stands. Too many times your shine gimp attempts cause you to lose a life. Ballin kinda touched upon this in his long post already.

The Star King

Smash Hero
That's because shine gimps in general are dangerous and shine is an overrated edgeguard (except in Fox dittos)

/the only person who isn't in love with the move

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Shine is amazing against Puff, Falcon, DK, and Fox. Shine-jab is amazing against everyone. More people need to learn it.

Also, B Link, I know I messed up the shine gimps a lot, but I think those are the least of my problems.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
LOL enough about the music xD

I never listened to it before, I just looked something up quickly so I didn't have a quiet video, and I already used Guile's theme xD SSH made a cool F-Zero remake, so I always look those up :p

mikeduncan23

Smash Apprentice
Ok I would like to hear any feedback both positive and negative for games in which I recently played ballin4life. I'm trying to improve my gameplay over the winter break when I have some time to devote to it. Thanks for checking them out.

Pika vs Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGKmXXwsMXo

DK vs Pika
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcjxyZ7hrbw

Fox vs Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvYi405p1mc

DK vs Yoshi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZfYh-uqTK4

Pika vs Falcon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLBOzdoFsps

Pika vs Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIfCtQW1D5M

Cobrevolution

Smash Master

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I just watched the first video real quick. Maybe I'll get more in depth later but for now..

I'd down b next to the ledge when falcon is recovering. Gives them another obstacle to deal with when recovering. And it'll often times hit them and give you another edgeguard opportunity if you **** up for some reason.

Honestly down b'ing next to the ledge works vs most chars. Especially the ones with bad/mediocre recoveries. But it definitely works vs anyone trying to recover from below or even with the ledge.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i actually do that but not nearly often enough. not sure why i didn't do it against stranded...hum. in addition to that i'm thinking of jump out bairs. i don't incorporate those too much for some reason. i saw a video of ness's dtilt sniping yoshi's jump - do bombs work like that as well? not sure what cancels it or what it depends on.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Are you talking specifically about Yoshi's 2nd jump? If so then no bombs won't cancel his armor, nor will ness dtilts. What most likely happened was the Yoshi tried to do an aerial and canceled his 2nd jump armor around the same time Ness down tilted. Or Yoshi was at an extremely high % or at the very end of his 2nd jump distance.

Top Bottom