• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 64 Video Critique Thread ~ post your videos for strategy/advice/tips =D

SheerMadness

Smash Master
He had no 2nd jump there. Nangoku recognized that and sniped the ledge grab with a down tilt.

His 2nd jump got pwned by the up air on the platform.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Yoshi's armor is weaker the higher % he is.

And Yoshi didn't have a 2nd jump in that video anyway. All Nangoku did was d-tilt stun a falling Yoshi so he couldn't grab the ledge. If you go back a couple seconds before the time stamp you'll see Yoshi get upaired on the platform at the tail end of his 2nd jump. So he never touched the ground and thus never got his jumps back.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Second paragraph there is right (obv)

If you weren't you, I'd say you were dead wrong on the first one. As it is... still pretty sure you're wrong, which is weird to me but whatever

Yoshi's armor absorbs a certain amount of knockback. As he gets to higher percents, the amount of knockback needed to hit him into a fall animation gets easier to attain. So a set KB move like ness dtilt would never break it, even at 999%

TundraZer0

Smash Rookie
Here's a couple of fights I'm in that're fairly new (only a few days ago.) The first one is of me losing and the other, winning. I'm the red Link in the video.

As of right now, I win about 1 or 2 out of 5 matches or so fighting this guy. And I have learned a few things since these fights, such as DI, so that's good, but I still need a lot of refinement. I am beginning to suck less, though. Any advice/tips would be awesome. :b:

(Big thanks to Mr.Marbles for recording them. =D )

The Star King

Smash Hero
Second paragraph there is right (obv)

If you weren't you, I'd say you were dead wrong on the first one. As it is... still pretty sure you're wrong, which is weird to me but whatever

Yoshi's armor absorbs a certain amount of knockback. As he gets to higher percents, the amount of knockback needed to hit him into a fall animation gets easier to attain. So a set KB move like ness dtilt would never break it, even at 999%
You're correct.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
battlecattle was just being picky about what I said. Requiring less knock back to break his armor at higher % = the same thing as his armor getting weaker to me.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
What he's saying is that is DOESN'T require less knockback at higher percents. Just that most moves produce more knockback when the player they hit is at high percents.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Gotcha. That's still being picky though. Just telling a new Yoshi player that his armor gets weaker at higher % is more than sufficient.

EDIT: I'm not positive but I think Ness' rapid down tilts will break his armor at high %'s. I feel like I've seen that and or it's happened to me before.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
It's definitely picky, but its also something i didn't know so its good to know I guess. I would probably have done something stupid like try to break yoshi's armor with yoshi's dtilt at some point.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah, if you think of it as "Yoshi's armor gets weaker" you might think "it can get weak enough that Fox's shine breaks it" which is wrong. It's more "you need enough knockback to break the jump", so then you'll think, "oh, and Fox's shine doesn't increase in knockback so it'll never be strong enough". Misinformation leads to bad conclusions, you see.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Well I've operated under the simple logic that "Yoshi's armor gets weaker the higher his %" since I started playing Yoshi. I never tried to delve into it any deeper than that, and I'd say it worked out fine for me fine.

Anyone who's trying to break his armor with shines or other incredibly weak moves probably isn't taking edge guarding seriously anyway. Plus if you shine Yoshi at like 200% and it does nothing, do you really think that person is ever going to try it again lol?

In the end personal observation is the best learning tool.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
So what you're saying is that information about how the game works is useless and its best to just go based on experience? Experience is good and all, and usually leads to correct conclusions, but not always.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Nope all I said was that personal observation is the best learning tool.

Better to go experience it yourself than to take someone's word for it.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I agree. Though sometimes, if you are not careful, you can unconsciously reach wrong conclusions about stuff, overlook stuff, and stuff. Moreover, looking at stuff and knowing how it works practically is good and all, but knowing the details can lead to greater insights --> think non-science fishing dude who knows that the image of the fish in the water is a bit off versus science dude who knows about water refraction.

One of the reasons I read smashboards, I guess.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I agree that personal experience is the best learning tool Sheer, but that doesn't mean you should spread inaccurate information. lol

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^lol ***** xD

Sheer reminds me of HungryBox:
Knows like nothing about the game... but he purdy gud doe =P

<333 Sheer <333

organic ftw

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Think of it this way dudes:

I've spent my entire smash career thinking that edge guarding Yoshi with set knock back moves was such a terrible strategy that it wasn't worth exploring.

Turns out I was 100% correct. Shocking.

:bee:

B-Town

Smash Apprentice
Here's a couple of fights I'm in that're fairly new (only a few days ago.) The first one is of me losing and the other, winning. I'm the red Link in the video.

As of right now, I win about 1 or 2 out of 5 matches or so fighting this guy. And I have learned a few things since these fights, such as DI, so that's good, but I still need a lot of refinement. I am beginning to suck less, though. Any advice/tips would be awesome. :b:

(Big thanks to Mr.Marbles for recording them. =D )
You should try throwing out some weak boomerangs and try different angles as well. Especially because if you take a look Marbles is always approaching with an aerial, unless it's a u-tilt. a lighter tossed boomerang will stay out longer and cover a smaller area, good for blocking approaches.

I think you're also using dash attack too much and get punished for it multiple times because of the ending lag. I don't play link so I don't know which moves but you might want to try something faster to continue you combos or start them. Dash attack can useful sometimes for edge guarding or following up a boomerang that hits a close target. Those are the only uses for it I know, just because a Link I play does that a lot.

This tip is a little more abstract but think you need to stand more and be reactive. A lot of times you use ground attacks when marbles is out of you area and you get punished for it. Walk, stand or jump and be ready to respond to an attack.

We should play sometime soon, I'm usually down to play if I'm on skype.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fCdwpa0m9xY#t=362s

i really want to improve my game against falcon.
it seems like his bair outspaces everything i can approach with. i need more bombs edgeguarding. against an approaching two hit fairing falcon i've found dtilt slips underneath pretty well. when i'm being edgeguarded i dunno what the hell to do against that fsmash. should i be jumping out of fthrows or trying to counter with a hit? it seems like when i play against samuses as falcon they can always escape my fthrow before i can land an uair, but when the roles are reversed, i get comboed fairly easily.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
can't watch the video right now, but yea that matchup is stacked for falcon. You will get outspaced by someone of your skill level because falcon is better at it. I like to shoot charge balls at falcon and try to force him to approach you, because when samus is in defensive mode as opposed to approach mode he has a chance.

Against the edgeguard (I assume this is you getting off of the ledge and onto the stage? Again, can't watch the video but that's usually the time falcon would fsmash), you can do a couple of things:

1) Bait out an early fsmash by dropping from the ledge but delaying your jump so that you never come above the ledge. Your opponent might use your timing from releasing the ledge as the timing for an fsmash. And if it doesn't work you'll probably be safe anyway, so you can do this multiple times.

2) Jump above the fsmash off of the ledge, and use a bomb to stay high longer. Hopefully you can stay above the fsmash this way, and then you can retreat behind the bomb you just dropped to avoid the punish.

If falcon grabs you, he gets at least one uair guaranteed at 0%. Nothing you can do about it.

O.o-RITH-o.O

Smash Journeyman
also.. the audio loses synch in the middle of some of the matches, sorry about that

ps: if there's any great yoshi here with nothing to do, maybe you can give my friend a few tips? he's very good but is a little sucked in his level right now!

Top Bottom