• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Silly Kyle Video Archive and Critique Thread

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
bad habit that I've fixed..

:mad: and DID I ASK FOR CRITIQUE???!?!?! :mad:

lol jk

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
bad habit that I've fixed..

:mad: and DID I ASK FOR CRITIQUE???!?!?! :mad:

lol jk
I love you.

Just be supah counteractive. Also, consider spamming more than one turnip in the air in the same vertical alignment without glide tossing. It creates more of a wall and a nuisance.

gantrain05

Smash Master
well i aaaaaalways hold a turnip against nado happy MK's, its super easy to punish nado if u just glide toss at him as he retreats in his tornado, also another thing that helps is maybe throw out some ground float Fairs while holding a turnip, it keeps him guessing and gives your turnips a higher chance to connect, and in the off chance u do connect with the fair (which i just use mostly as a spacing/mindgame tool) u can follow up with glidetoss > jab > grab > Dthrow > w/e or whatever fancy pants combos u like to do.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
well i aaaaaalways hold a turnip against nado happy MK's, its super easy to punish nado if u just glide toss at him as he retreats in his tornado, also another thing that helps is maybe throw out some ground float Fairs while holding a turnip, it keeps him guessing and gives your turnips a higher chance to connect, and in the off chance u do connect with the fair (which i just use mostly as a spacing/mindgame tool) u can follow up with glidetoss > jab > grab > Dthrow > w/e or whatever fancy pants combos u like to do.
Was just about to throw that in thar.

Thank yew~

****ing Ninja.. :p

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
I think you did very well Illmatic. However.... I also feel for some reason Dphat changed his play style the second game. I just dont understaand how you go from looking like you know the mu so well and punishing just about everything to running in and getting punished back as hard as he did.

Nicole

Smash Champion
^I think dphat got flustered the 2nd game when he died first and ill was at like, 75%. He started to play much better at the end of his 2nd stock, and if he hadn't killed himself I think it would have been really close. BUUUUUT i am not dphat (thank god :psycho:) so I won't speak for him.

Anyways Ill, I'm very pleased that those matches were recorded, so I will give you a couple bits of advice.

I think you played well. I think you played best on Rainbow Cruise, you were very cautious, very smart, and really avoided some of the gayest things (like that roof insta-kill-combo) quite nicely.

Do NOT charge fsmash against MK. He doesn't need to run in close enough to get hit by it to punish it. You got punished almost everytime you did this, and you only hit him with it once, when he was on PS1 and flustered. MK can punish any telegraphed move because he is so quick, so don't give him the chance.

Your recovery against MK is something that you really need to work on. I actually think that Rainbow Cruise helped you with that - no ledges for MK to hang out on. Peach bomber is not something you want to rely on. It can work to stall out his fair, but that's it, and that's very very risky. When you're at 60ish, trying to come back, don't give him free damage with peach bomber. You know he's going to drop down nair, so use umbrella from farther away. It will hit him but he won't have invincibility anymore. The angle that umbrella goes up ( / . . . this illustrates it nicely) will still get you to the stage. And if it doesnt, you have still hit him away and you can float over to the edge using umbrella. Trust her upB, if you use it correctly it will get you there. He was wrecking you offstage and that's the biggest reason why you lost the first game.

SH dair more. It's harder for him to SDI out of, and even if he gets out it's harder for him to hit you, because you'll be on the ground, able to shield. And dsmash occasionally, it will shieldpoke a good portion of the time.

The last hit of the last match, you were hanging out, in range of shuttle loop, dairing. That was a very bad idea, because you weren't at the right angle to hit him out of it with dair. It made your DI bad, and you died at 80%. I'll tell you the same thing that I told Kyon - don't challenge that move. You can only go through it with dair at a 80 - 100 degree angle. You were at about 60 or 70. Just airdodge it. You were in a really bad spot (which wasn't your fault) but you didn't need to use a move (twice) and risk being hit during your lag. He could have hit you anyway, even through the dair, but he probably didn't want to risk it. Just get back to land. Don't **** around high in the air.

Your commentary on the two matches in the social thread led me to believe that different things would happen in the 2nd and 3rd matches. Don't exaggerate or talk yourself up TOO much ;)

I would like to MM Dphat at MLG Dallas if there is a time. He seems like he really knows the Peach matchup pretty well. He was DI-ing your dair and attacking out of it, which I hardly see any MK's do, and he was tornado-ing and shuttle looping just like he should. you're really lucky to have someone who understands the Peach matchup so well, so keep practicing with him whenever you can, and you'll easily **** any MK that doesn't know what they're doing.

z00ted

^I think dphat got flustered the 2nd game when he died first and ill was at like, 75%. He started to play much better at the end of his 2nd stock, and if he hadn't killed himself I think it would have been really close. BUUUUUT i am not dphat (thank god :psycho:) so I won't speak for him.

Anyways Ill, I'm very pleased that those matches were recorded, so I will give you a couple bits of advice.

I think you played well. I think you played best on Rainbow Cruise, you were very cautious, very smart, and really avoided some of the gayest things (like that roof insta-kill-combo) quite nicely.

Do NOT charge fsmash against MK. He doesn't need to run in close enough to get hit by it to punish it. You got punished almost everytime you did this, and you only hit him with it once, when he was on PS1 and flustered. MK can punish any telegraphed move because he is so quick, so don't give him the chance.

Your recovery against MK is something that you really need to work on. I actually think that Rainbow Cruise helped you with that - no ledges for MK to hang out on. Peach bomber is not something you want to rely on. It can work to stall out his fair, but that's it, and that's very very risky. When you're at 60ish, trying to come back, don't give him free damage with peach bomber. You know he's going to drop down nair, so use umbrella from farther away. It will hit him but he won't have invincibility anymore. The angle that umbrella goes up ( / . . . this illustrates it nicely) will still get you to the stage. And if it doesnt, you have still hit him away and you can float over to the edge using umbrella. Trust her upB, if you use it correctly it will get you there. He was wrecking you offstage and that's the biggest reason why you lost the first game.

SH dair more. It's harder for him to SDI out of, and even if he gets out it's harder for him to hit you, because you'll be on the ground, able to shield. And dsmash occasionally, it will shieldpoke a good portion of the time.

The last hit of the last match, you were hanging out, in range of shuttle loop, dairing. That was a very bad idea, because you weren't at the right angle to hit him out of it with dair. It made your DI bad, and you died at 80%. I'll tell you the same thing that I told Kyon - don't challenge that move. You can only go through it with dair at a 80 - 100 degree angle. You were at about 60 or 70. Just airdodge it. You were in a really bad spot (which wasn't your fault) but you didn't need to use a move (twice) and risk being hit during your lag. He could have hit you anyway, even through the dair, but he probably didn't want to risk it. Just get back to land. Don't **** around high in the air.

Your commentary on the two matches in the social thread led me to believe that different things would happen in the 2nd and 3rd matches. Don't exaggerate or talk yourself up TOO much ;)

I would like to MM Dphat at MLG Dallas if there is a time. He seems like he really knows the Peach matchup pretty well. He was DI-ing your dair and attacking out of it, which I hardly see any MK's do, and he was tornado-ing and shuttle looping just like he should. you're really lucky to have someone who understands the Peach matchup so well, so keep practicing with him whenever you can, and you'll easily **** any MK that doesn't know what they're doing.
Thanks alot for all the advice.

I KNOW now for a fact that I needed to change up my recovery options against Metaknight, and I already fixed it a while back. I like new ideas though, and you brought up alot of them.

and apoasdifpoaisdpfoiaweriouasdfaklajsldflolololol I know i dun goofed with my overhype statement third match.

gantrain05

Smash Master
yeah its true, Dphat was using his shuttle loops and nados are great times, at times when it would be very hard to impossible to punish them, so what you gotta do is not give him the opportunity, like nicole said, more SH dairs and Dsmashes, both shield poke very well and as much as i hate to say it, cuz its my favorite move ever, Dtilt is just abysmal vs MK lol.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
Nicole isn't your carpooling getting housed by me? We can do our MM there if you want. :)
Rewatching that set I realized how lazy I got after the first game, IN MY DEFENSE I was really tired and Gnes just ***** me in bracket so I was kinda out of it. BUT regardless Illmatic made the set super close and almost got me. Good stuff to you Ill.

Nicole

Smash Champion
^ i didn't know we were staying with you. but yeah, that'll be way more convenient and less laggy than doing it at mlg.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY481cYF0GQ&feature=sub. Peach vs ZSS
I wanted to know if I should put this up on the video thread. And I want someone to fine out is the shield break I do something that will always happen. I'm so bad when they break. I swear I tried to charge something but a jab came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV6C0XmJVzI&feature=sub Peach vs. Diddy
He didn't want to use banana's very much because they usually backfire cause i've learned so much teaming with gdx. But I liked the trades we do. I wish I could gimp better though. If anyone has any good info in gimping or what I can do let me know please. I'm also trying to learn to stay out of Diddy's fair and Side b range. I'm not sure about other Peach's but I hear that those 2 moves are what bothers us the most. even more than banana's.

Will be updating everything I need to on Sunday.

gantrain05

Smash Master
i like it kyon, shield break punish with slaps its like saying "you aren't a threat to me, i don't need this easy kill" lol.

White-Peach

Smash Ace
I always love watching your matches Kyon! That ZSS one especially~ It's like you turned up the **** on the 2nd and 3rd stocks :) BUT I JUST SAW THE RESURRECTION OF WORST CHOICES ON SHIELDBREAK! I hope that was just for funsies to keep the game going, but still, it was a perfect non-pan fsmash/FAir/NAir/BAir situation at the far right of the screen!

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
**Not all Peach but it doesn't matter to me, just posting for enjoyment and further inspection of how I play the Falco matchup or what have you. :3

A MM set from yesterday, didn't get as many recorded as I wanted to (especially me and Shugo doing work in doubles against AZ/Kel and winning) but it's better than nothing. xD

King Beef (Peach) vs Clowsui (Falco) 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOizK5vP-cI

King Beef (Meta Knight) vs Clowsui (Falco) 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLOEc3hLNgA

A couple other sets to come later.

White-Peach

Smash Ace
I really like the way you played that falco :) You stood in his movement area and pressured him to the ledge so he'd be forced to react. You can really see how it pays off to play slow to get that opening, you show very well that keeping your shield ready at a moment's notice is suppppper important :)

z00ted

Here are some friendlies with Razer. Practice for MLG Dallas.

I feel as though I've been improving alot lately. I took into consideration about what Meno critiqued on my Peach and tried to tweak it here and there. All the matches I had a very strong lead at one point. They could have gone either way.

I try alot of different styles against Razer I think you guys will like them.

Aggressive Triple O' G Trillmatic Style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spH-0nAodoI&feature=related

Campy - I like to play Brawl Style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W58gXIOaFTE

Critique, comments, or whatever are welcome.

The U-Tilts are TASTY!!!!

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I really liked that match King Beef. You stepped it up and pulled out just about every tech I could think of, and closed them off really well.

But there's two things I think that could help out put the pain on falco more:
1) Instant Dash Attack: You walk up slowly to falco to bait his phantasm. But you don't have to wait that long. When you are roughtly within a jab's reach (little longer) do an instant dash attack when he hops! He WILL get hit and popped up in the air, and will have to retreat.

Also you can punish a lot more of his moves with the iDA, ones that other moves can't reach or are too slow (i.e. Peach bomber that got you upsmashed lol).

2) Nair OOS - You know how to do this, but I didn't see you use it at all. Falcos love to pressure my shield with aerials when close, and i get a lot of KOs and/or out them in a horrible position with the nair oos. You could do it a little more.

Other than that, it was still a great match and you wrecked anyways. You know the matchup

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Here are some friendlies with Razer. Practice for MLG Dallas.

I feel as though I've been improving alot lately. I took into consideration about what Meno critiqued on my Peach and tried to tweak it here and there. All the matches I had a very strong lead at one point. They could have gone either way.

I try alot of different styles against Razer I think you guys will like them.

Aggressive Triple O' G Trillmatic Style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spH-0nAodoI&feature=related

Campy - I like to play Brawl Style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W58gXIOaFTE

Critique, comments, or whatever are welcome.

The U-Tilts are TASTY!!!!
There is a lot I want to say...

I liked your campy style better, at least vs. Snake. Aggressive Peach only works against Snake periodically, or else you will find your moves staling and trouble killing Snake.

Work on your out of shield game vs. Snake. Work on punishing his DACUS more.

Also learn to power shield grenades, it's really helpful because it bounces them back at Snake.

Try to punish Snake's nair if he doesn't autocancel it correctly... there is a lot of lag and plenty of time to ****.

I felt like you ran into too much stupid ****. Please work that out before MLG Dallas.

Even though these were friendlies... I felt they were kinda serious lol. Razer is very good, but I believe you're not too far away from his level. He makes better reads and uses a broken character. You did extremely well and I felt a lot of the matches you should have won.

You have a few minor kinks to work out... but overall I really like your Peach and I see a lot of similarities to mine. Make better reads and tech chase Snake better... use dair.

Be very careful when getting back onto the stage.

Keep practicing!! Work on the up air string and you'll learn how to combo Snake a lot harder. I know you have what it takes to be a champion. I look forward to the day I can travel out of state to compete and the day I can meet/play you in person. :)

There are a few other things that can be said... but I will leave it at that for now.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
@KB - Very nice indeed. Minus the hiccups with Peach Bombers (lol) you really were in control the entire match and played the match up really well. I would agree with Lance that there may have been a few moments where you could have Dash Attacked or Naired a bit more but those are really really minor points
Oh and you could have maybe DI'ed out of Falco's Jab to end up behind him so you could Bair him, he did a few triple jabs which would have been prime opportunities for you to do that. DI diagonally up and behind him. Again, another sort of minor point but every hit helps...

@sand - I think you need to work a bit on your punishment game, there were a couple of things that I felt you could have punished that you let Falco get away with (e.g. Dash Attack on shield, Phantasms etc). Try to make sure that when you decide to do something, you got all your options covered. Infact, watch KB's recent vid and copy what he did :p

@Ill - You're improving everytime I watch your vids. Did you know that if you hit someone whilst they're charging a Smash attack that they receive a LOT more knockback?

At around this point, around 6:07 in the video...
Was that Peach's Dair beating out Snake's Up Tilt? Or had the hitbox gone and the Dair just caught the hurtbox?

Gutted that there was only 30 seconds left on the clock and you got killed by that ruddy Up Tilt :( You know in your 2nd match you could have used Toad on the ledge since he was spamming Up Tilt that much :p

Kyle gave you some good advice soooooo I've only got a few minor things
- If Snake ever Up + B's near you, Peach Bomber him. You avoid staling your Fair and Peach Bomber is nearly always going to be fresh. Its harder to DI upwards than Fair as well iirc
- After a Dair --> Uair, drop your Float as soon as the final hit of Dair connects. That way, you get to the ground quicker and can follow up with an Up Tilt or even a Uair string. There's no benefit of holding your Float on any longer because the cooldown on Peach's aerials is so long so you can't effectively follow up with anything
- Ledge grab limits. If you're practicing for MLG, its crucial that you make sure you don't grab the ledge too often because there WILL be one at MLG. Your campy style had you planking a few times which will have racked up your ledge grab counter. This problem is sort of exacerbated by the fact that Peach relies on grabbing the ledge for her normal recover anyway. My worry is that if you play like you did in your first campy match and it goes to time, you could have lost even if you had the percent lead because of the ledge grab limit

Nicole

Smash Champion
@ KB - You should take more advantage of Falco's phantasm. By this, I guess I mean that you should put yourself in a position to punish it more often. If he sees you charging a smash, he's not ********, he's going to avoid you and you're going to waste time that could be spent punishing him by releasing the smash. Try to get more edgehogs on him. Try to trick him, and try to gimp him with turnips when he's off the edge (you hardly ever did this, I guarantee it's effective). Falco has a REALLY small window of time where he can recover safely. Instead of standing still, charging a smash waaay in advance, hang out near the ledge and just do nothing until the right time. Seeing all your powershields, I know you have excellent timing and I know you could react to whatever he does. GF nair takes hardly any time, if he decides to not go to the ledge. Running off and edgehogging moments before he needs to phantasm works too. You just really have to watch him when he's off the edge - I think this would help you against any Falco, I know you don't like that MU.

Also, don't try to peach bomber, usmash, or fmash him out of phantasm. Just ftilt if you're on the ground. It stays out forever and comes out much quicker. GF nair works too, but you already know that.

@Ill - I didn't watch the campy matches because I thought they'd be boring (and probably were). You did some SH dairs in the aggro ones, keep it up! I'm not sure why you floated so high over Snake's head and floated dairs. You didn't hit him (I mean, he didnt hit you either, so I guess that was good...). You don't ALWAYS need to be in the air. If you just float a dair and falling nair behind him, he can't do anything to you before you can shield/jab/roll away. You did a good job pressuring his shield though.

You should try to juggle him in the air more, and you should never try to usmash him when he's coming down to the ground from high up - he can just wavebounce a grenade and go in a different direction, and you're still stuck usmashing. A good snake will never get hit by that. Just follow him with your groundfloat and nair/bair him as he airdodges to the ground. He can't avoid that. Use turnips to help you force airdodges.

Razer plays that MU well, he doesnt waste his time with too many nades, and he nairs and bairs at good times. You should really work on SDI-ing that nair, he killed you a couple times with it when you could have gotten out, not to meniton that you take 9203840389% from it. On the other hand, don't be afraid to challenge his nair A COUPLE times. You can go through it with various aerials as long as you time them correctly, and that will really make him more cautious about throwing out aerials, which makes approaching him easier.

z00ted

Thanks for the compliments and advice everyone!

After rewatching the videos I totally agree with alot of what you guys are saying especially the tips on greenades and staying on the ground more. I'll also wath out for the edge grab limit.

I'm going to try and implement it for next time.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Thanks for the pointers people.

@ Nicole- I hear you on the turnip gimping part and especially the phantasm part. Hmm...well...a lot of what those are is my preference of doing the quicker moves that have less cooldown or are a little safer at a shorter distance (minus Peach Bomber hiccups) in case he shortens his phantasm to bait for an u-smash opportunity (like Shugo does on me a lot, and he is the Falco I play the most; but he's just amazing at baiting for grabs and getting his kills when he needs them). F-tilt is prime pickings for that type of bait.

So I guess I'm trying to say that I play a style accustomed to a top level Falco where there is even less room for error, and who knows how to properly bait the attacks one would expect from Peach in the MU to get his kills.

Your pointers are great for the level of the last two Falcos in my vids for sure though. :3

Nicole

Smash Champion
Thanks for the pointers people.

@ Nicole- I hear you on the turnip gimping part and especially the phantasm part. Hmm...well...a lot of what those are is my preference of doing the quicker moves that have less cooldown or are a little safer at a shorter distance (minus Peach Bomber hiccups) in case he shortens his phantasm to bait for an u-smash opportunity (like Shugo does on me a lot, and he is the Falco I play the most; but he's just amazing at baiting for grabs and getting his kills when he needs them). F-tilt is prime pickings for that type of bait.

So fsmash, usmash, and bomber are quicker moves & have less cooldown than gf nair or ftilt? I wasnt saying do ftilt everytime, but its better than charging up a slow smash that he can see coming a mile away. Because ftilt is quick you can do it on reaction, like ftilting through tornado. Good luck usmashing on reaction. You can also gf nair on reaction and that has very little risk since you can shield or jab right when you touch the ground.

So I guess I'm trying to say that I play a style accustomed to a top level Falco where there is even less room for error, and who knows how to properly bait the attacks one would expect from Peach in the MU to get his kills.

For being accustomed to making few mistakes you sure threw out enough unsafe moves. Additionally, on battlefield where there are a million platforms falco can recover to, its ******** to charge anything when you can simply watch where falco goes and punish him there. But it's best to not try to react and punish phantasms. A top level falco, like the kind YOU are used to playing, probably runs into charged smashes even though he has 3 or 4 options to avoid them.

Your pointers are great for the level of the last two Falcos in my vids for sure though. :3

Glad to be of help, I hope someday I'll get to play against top level players and have my advice taken seriously. Until then, I'll just keep playing the matchup wrong because I've never gotten to play against anyone good.
I like you better offline.

z00ted

**** this is tasttyyy!

also, Clowsui is a top level Falco? :awesome:

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
*Headdesk*

- "Top level Falco" means I'm referencing Shugo, who I JUST pointed out within the post. If you weren't so busy slapping a straw man on me you'd have noticed that.

- Clowsui and M@v are obviously not top level Falcos and they know that as well.

- Everyone likes me better offline, but I am also often misinterpreted online. For one...I noted down your opinion and suggestions to reflect on my own play with, but just because I make it clear what my own thought process or reasoning was for my actions in the match does not mean I disagree with you. If you're going to give advice, expect an answer from me beyond "gee thanks you're right woooo". You have to be able to meet halfway.

- The bombers were obviously not part of my statement as to what I think the quicker/safer moves are. Why even include that?

Much <3 still.

z00ted

yo ima let you finish but I didn't even read that. sorry d00d

lol.. strawman...lol AP English

and whats up lately? your posts sorta seem like you've been in a bad mood.

clowsui

Smash Legend
lol ofc I'm not a top level Falco, I'm not trippin'

also i have to agree w/ some of the points nicole made

even if the falco "expects" safe moves like gf nair and ftilt, that doesn't necessarily make the moves you choose better options. esp as peach the best options v falco are the safer ones because of "low margin of error"

granted there's a lot of usefulness to be had with random smashes esp since i'm sure you can find a way to make those moves extend into ranges that the safe options don't cover

honestly this debate is useless because unless i'm doing like $5+ MMs I don't think I ever play as well as I do in tournament. not trying to john, just saying the more and more $1-$3 MMs i play the more apparent it is that i'm not good at trying in those

tl,dr; nicole and KB, see me in tournament or $5 falco v peach, where i probably play the MU way better 'cause i'm paying attention to your edgeguard/ground game patterns rather than covering character zones

Top Bottom