• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR official stance on Metaknight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
its finally over. what i didn't expect was that the antiban side would get more vote!!! that is lamest thing i have ever seen. its like proving the sky is blue only for everyone to still believe its pink. Now, I feel like this meta game just forced me to do this in order to even have a chance.

Im wit Marko. Im switching fully to MK/ICs. Its the only thing left now.

Smash_Of_Fate

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Babael_Of_Fate
3DS FC
1134-7601-5121
*sigh* Finally over with... for now...

I guess that means we won't be seeing those July 2009 & August 2009 accounts until the next time this comes up.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I'll suck a **** even if you don't tell me to. :D

I wasn't talking about you. lol. Did I say "some noname like da KID"? No. I said "some noname". That's random people who aren't known. Like Linklover1234 or something. You get my drift.
the whole conversation was about me.

I say, im gonna main MK cus theres no reason not to.
swordgard says, watch you still lose,
marko says, you act like people dont get better when they switch to mk

you jump in with, some no name isnt going to win by switching to MK.

you could see how i would think that that implys that I am a no name, right?

but yea, ill just take the priority and the free damage and the free gimps. gimping with sonic is like actual effort, but gimping with mk is sooooo free.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Answers in yellow.

Last time in post in this topic, cause this is getting off topic fast.

Also, i really hope you guys nominate avarice for SBR member, this guy is very good at debating.
lol yay references.

....>_><_<

inb4fullfledgedMKdebateensuesinthisthread

edit: It makes me laugh when people go, "I'm going to switch to Meta Knight and win all of the time now!" You'll have a more viable shot (namely because you're switching from Sonic, who isn't that viable), but at basic levels, MK is just as easy to pick up as D3 and Snake and really any character is. No one's hard to learn.

You aren't going to win with MK if you aren't a good player and a good MK. Randoms haven't been placing high in tournaments with MK that they just recently picked up before, and it's not going to happen now.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I find it funny how the community got only 1 vote in the SBR.
I must say that really does place quite a bit of importance on a small group of players.
Dude, the community is made up of low- to mid-level players. All the pros are already in the SBR. Since the low- to mid-level of play is irrelevant and matters in no way in shaping policy, it's only logical that we only get one, maybe 2, votes. That's what we get for being whiny, no-name, horribly playing scrubs. [/sarcasm]

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
people dont seem to realize that kid. or maybe they do, and love the prospect of this so much. I really do think this is the last time I approach ever in brawl. even with sonic. this is so lame. If you don't play MK or IC's you aren't watching the metagame right/ care.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero

pro ban had enough of a majority to get TWO votes. ALMOST 3. Get your facts straight nub muffin.
*facepalm*
You are rather stupid are you?
yay im off by one vote.

Doesn't change the fact that in spite of pro ban having a majority, in spite of the fact that over 1000 people voted pro ban, that it still only accounted for those two votes.

In short, 1 SBR vote=500+ non SBR members.

If you don't get the point, get out =)

swordgard

Smash Hero
Dude, the community is made up of low- to mid-level players. All the pros are already in the SBR. Since the low- to mid-level of play is irrelevant and matters in no way in shaping policy, it's only logical that we only get one, maybe 2, votes. That's what we get for being whiny, no-name, horribly playing scrubs. [/sarcasm]
No honestly, if you cant argue using logic its why your opinion doesnt matter. Statistically speaking, more intelligent and knowledgeable players are pro than the other way around. Thats why SBR then chooses people who are deemed intelligent to join them. They try to rule out the whiny non name horribly playing scrubs who are also unable to argue, need i to go on?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Believe it or not, a tourney is meant as a competition to award people who are good, not to solicit those who wish to enjoy a game. I don't know why you're even part of a community like this with an attitude like yours.

Nobody is saying you can't enjoy an MK free friendly or two with friends, but when we're talking about an overall competitive metagame with money involved, yes, mid and low-level play is useless for analysis.

BTW, this is coming from a mid-level player.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Believe it or not, a tourney is meant as a competition to award people who are good, not to solicit those who wish to enjoy a game. I don't know why you're even part of a community like this with an attitude like yours.

Nobody is saying you can't enjoy an MK free friendly or two with friends, but when we're talking about an overall competitive metagame with money involved, yes, mid and low-level play is useless for analysis.

BTW, this is coming from a mid-level player.
Except top level play is really only useful for analysis. Fact of the matter is, low and mid level players make up an exeednig majority in tournaments, and so they also have a stake in it.
What matters is not their level of skill, but the reasoning and ideas behind them.

As such, I believe it should have been placed elsewhere, where the ignorant masses cannot affect things and people like yourself could vote while having adequate reasoning for the vote.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
A debate like this should really stick to the top-level play. Just throwing that out there.
Well, there are top players who aren't in the SBR, and there are non-top players who are in the SBR. I don't really know how the voting process would be like if only top-level players would be considered.

Plus, there are probably a couple of top-level players who aren't accepted as "top" mainly because they don't have either videos or participated in nation-wide tourneys in America, so no absolutes can be said about only top-levels contributing.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Except top level play is really only useful for analysis. Fact of the matter is, low and mid level players make up an exeednig majority in tournaments, and so they also have a stake in it.
What matters is not their level of skill, but the reasoning and ideas behind them.

As such, I believe it should have been placed elsewhere, where the ignorant masses cannot affect things and people like yourself could vote while having adequate reasoning for the vote.
That they do, but their viewpoint should be that of wanting to improve at the game as opposed to trying to take perceived obstacles out of the way. Like I said, this is a competitive game; I don't feel it's feasible to take into account how much said players enjoy their losses - Yes, because those players are going to lose regardless; an MK ban would a placebo - we really just have to take into account what's best for the evaluation of skill to see who gets the money everybody throws into the pot.

You essentially just described the SBR, Shadow. :laugh:

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
That they do, but their viewpoint should be that of wanting to improve at the game as opposed to trying to take perceived obstacles out of the way. Like I said, this is a competitive game; I don't feel it's feasible to take into account how much said players enjoy their losses - Yes, because those players are going to lose regardless; an MK ban would a placebo - we really just have to take into account what's best for the evaluation of skill to see who gets the money everybody throws into the pot.

You essentially just described the SBR, Shadow. :laugh:
Pretty much, its that the way you described things sounded kinda iffy so I tried to put it out a bit differently since people tend to misunderstand.

Hive

Smash Lord
Except top level play is really only useful for analysis. Fact of the matter is, low and mid level players make up an exeednig majority in tournaments, and so they also have a stake in it..
actually when I looked at tourney results for one of the cgcs in norcal oddly enough, like 80% of people played B-tier and above... ^^ nonviable characters sort of die off over time as more people try to pick up higher characters to place better, thus putting more pressure to switch. That's my lame theory at least lol ^^

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
indeed. at a certain point you have to want to win more when oyu go to tourneys right? but don't underestimate how this decision affects the midlevel players. however, i was always under the impression that this list affected teh high level tourneys only, this year was teh first time i have ever heard people talk about this midlevel player as an argument.

im actually concerned at how tourneys are gonna end up like in MD/VA. I honestly think either MK or ICs are gonna win here this year. Only them.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
No, only the regions (US/Japan and PAL) are different.
hmm...thats interesting. Usually they fix bugs and stuff if they re-release something. Which i think they did that with Metriod Prime 1's re-release

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Man, I even [sarcasm] tagged myself, and people STILL *****ed. Guys, that was PURPOSEFULLY exaggerated. Seriously.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion

You've made use of similar hyperbole in the past without sarcasm tags, so I took it seriously.
Good thing the boards don't do that.

"Attention user: you've stated similarly in previous logged posts using text without bolding, so your current tags have been ignored for this post."

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Good thing the boards don't do that.

"Attention user: you've stated similarly in previous logged posts using text without bolding, so your current tags have been ignored for this post."

Conflation is a wonderful thing.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
lol
people like to argue

in terms of picking up MK...

if you look at the top players, a lot of the reason why they win is because they know who the best character is... and they go to him.

is that a lie? do the top players NOT main top characters?

swordgard

Smash Hero
lol
people like to argue

if you look at the top players, a lot of the reason why they win is because they know who the best character is... and they go to him.

Your location made me lol cause you really believe MK will make you good.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
MK won't make anyone good...

...but about 30 minutes of intense practice with MK will make you way better than you are with anyone else. The only exception is if you are already pro-skill with another character (since sometimes playstyles don't mesh well).

'V'

Smash Lord
lol
people like to argue

It's true. That's why I don't compete in fighting games anymore.

swordgard

Smash Hero
MK won't make anyone good...

...but about 30 minutes of intense practice with MK will make you way better than you are with anyone else. The only exception is if you are already pro-skill with another character (since sometimes playstyles don't mesh well).

And do you have any proof of what your claiming?

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Hold on, let me go ahead and do a double-blind experiment with a 20-man control group and a 20-man test group really quick...

In all seriousness, my Lucario is alright; it's pretty campy, and won't win any tournaments any time soon, but I can make you work for your kills. I HATE playing MK; I just don't enjoy it and his playstyle is too erratic for me... but I can last WAY longer in a match with MK than I can with Lucario. That's the best I can do with you... you know, other than personal observations and speaking with players at Ikkicon, WHOBO, A-kon, and a few other con tournaments.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Your lack of an answer made me lol because you avoided the question.

Everyone also seems to miss that I do understand that picking up MetaKnight will not automatically make me good. I understand that I will still have to learn Brawl and the metagame around it. But the fact of the matter is, MK has the best tools to learn this game with.

Avenu

Smash Cadet
Let's all main MK now.

Your lack of an answer made me lol because you avoided the question.

Everyone also seems to miss that I do understand that picking up MetaKnight will not automatically make me good. I understand that I will still have to learn Brawl and the metagame around it. But the fact of the matter is, I can camp you over and over with op'd recoveries for shts and giggles to annoy the hell out of you and watch you rage quit while I do little to no effort into mopping the floor with you with the easiest to use character in the game.
Fixed.

You wanna learn brawl and it's metagame and become amazingly good at it with MK? Stop kidding yourself. Use a challenging character.

Give me a break.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Fixed.

You wanna learn brawl and it's metagame and become amazingly good at it with MK? Stop kidding yourself. Use a challenging character.

Give me a break.
Why use a challenging character when "I can camp you over and over with op'd recoveries for shts and giggles to annoy the hell out of you and watch you rage quit while I do little to no effort into mopping the floor with you with the easiest to use character in the game"?

Like, does that even make sense? You wanna break? Use MetaKnight. :chuckle:

edit: hot sig btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom