• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Samus Boards are at Peace | The Dead Social

i made this poll before polls were cool

• Total voters

Sarix

Smash Ace
Well today has made me quite sad since I can't find my copy of Metroid II: Return of Samus. :( That game is not exactly easy to find in stores.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Oh boo!

I still have my copy (miraculously) although I think it's been through a washing machine several times... hahaha

if I come across a copy of it I might pick it up if you're looking to get a replacement! Gotta help a brother out

Sarix

Smash Ace
Lol thanks, it's in my house for sure, just likely got buried under a family member's junk. Nothing like a bit of cleaning to solve that. I can just enjoy the original NES Metroid for GBA I have, gotta still finish that and Echoes. :)

Apparently MI is getting a Samus PR so things should be interesting in my state.

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully you'll find it...haha.
That sounds interesting, I can't wait to see. =o

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
Metroid 2... oh the memories of getting really confused & stumbling onto the spider ball, then getting confused even more XD

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
i just saw the video, literally nothing new or useful came out of his bombs use. bombs have never and will never be good due to the fact they are on a timer and not proximity

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I disagree about the useful thing, when meta was a good distance away and he used bombs, they were placed so that if meta was to dash in to avoid zair, he would get hit by the bomb. he got about 4 zairs in the video entirely because the bomb on the platform basically stopped meta for an extra second, and for a ****ty character like samus that's important.
I admit the bombs are pretty much useless against most high tiers, but against slower characters I've found them invaluable. if you know how fast they run you can place a bomb and there's not much they can do except decide to postpone their approach. then you get a missile off, and that's really important.
Also this is impractical but I find it's a sort of pre-punish for when I know I'll get ****ed up. if someone manages to get in, and yes I know they shouldn't, and I **** it up as i fall to a punish, I usually bomb. If they grab, I get out free, and if any other move hits, they aren't following up on it.
Bombs aren't good but I know they have character specific advantages. The way the japanese guy played it was in a way that they only BARELY slowed his speed around the stage, IE double jumping near bf platform and sliding across it with bomb, reaching the ground at the same time if he had just fell to the ground. it's just an extra thing. And it can be argued that if you're using bomb, that time should have been put into some other act of defense and pressure. but I find it has its uses

Sarix

Smash Ace
Onstage bombs are definitely a suboptimal choice with the lack of a contact box and how long Samus is vulnerable even with Bomb Canceling. I only find them useful in mixups, very minor platform control, and or slowing down rushdown/grappler characters just a little bit, but in that last situation good spacing can also do the same thing.

The only high tier I use bombs a bit more than barely is pikachu, by laying one and then DI'ing behind it while pikachu tries to use tjolt pressure it takes a tjolt a gives me a free missile. But even in this situation a fully charged charge shot is massively better against pikachu on any stage except FD because it can reach him before his tjolt cooldown is done and punish him hard.

Aside from the great recovery aid bombs give in preserving that 2nd jump and making Samus more difficult to edgeguard; in its current nerfalicious state it's just outclassed by safer, more effective options unfortunately.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'll never stop being a pro-bomb advocate for the simple reason that it makes you look cooler as you bounce around the stage.

That said, one needs to understand both the pros and cons to be effective or not with them. Bombs themselves are solid for mixups, recovery, and against certain characters (I myself used Sarix's example recently in some friendlies to great success, although most of the time I was better off saving my Charge Shot, and blocking Tjolt with Jab/lower angled F-smash if I was a safe distance away), but spamming them mindlessly gets you nowhere most of the time, particularly against characters with long-range or quick counterattack options...which is essentially everyone. Not only that, but most people can just shield the crap out of anything you could even hope to throw at them.

I myself believe they add much more than simple recovery and hindrance, especially if your momentum benefits from use, which is what I saw from YB's vids. The biggest pros I can think of are a temporarily smaller hitbox, better descending air control (you have no idea how many times I've avoided a predicted aerial/smash attack by moving slightly to the side or by bomb hopping at the last second) and mixing in other attacks, such as jabs/tilts, projectiles and Z-air. I will say this is easier to accomplish on some stages rather than others (Battlefrield and Smashville are fantastic if you know how to time Spiderball and platform cancel well), but I think there's more potential to be found if more Samus players endorsed this rather than shut them down for the reasons Xyro listed (proximity would still make them lovely, but I'm not holding my breath for them in WiiU/3DS Smash, not that I'm not used to Samus getting the short end of the stick by now..).

Also they beat out Nado.

Sarix

Smash Ace
I'm glad you found my example useful IsmaR. I personally don't hit Pikachu every time with Charge Shot but I do think it creates a good mindgame to have one and make him feel hindered in his ability to try and pressure Samus with Tjolt.

I'm personally for using bombs I just think their role is more niche and those niches need to be found and exploited in different MUs. I'm well aware this contradicts a good chunk of my previous post but oh well, I'm all for looking for the good instead of the bad in Samus, since from what I've seen that's already been done almost to death.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
I do think that bombs could be found useful with enough effort, but as movement/momentum tricks and not as hitboxes/an attack.

I don't think anyone should be using bomb with the intention of hitting someone with it unless they're playing Ice Climbers

Hive

Smash Lord
Hey Samuses! <3 Figured I'd drop in and say hi, watching the sunrise tournament actually got me hyped and wanting to play metroid prime and brawl again (at least vs friends). Doesn't look like norcal has much of a scene anymore though, unless I'm missing something, but I really wanted to know how you guys are fairing? So, how is everyone?!

edit: also any well established matchup tips out there vs common characters since last time?
edit2: hope they let retro make a new metroid for the wii-u!

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I certainly had no idea that was possible but I bet other samuses on here did know. I have to practice that though, very cool.
try it with other zairs too I guess

Sarix

Smash Ace
I think I've had that happen once or twice if I buffered a rising Zair. It happens because Samus's Zair at least, has a lagless landing so Zairing just above a platform will make somewhat of an auto-platform cancel happen. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Btw, I found my copy of Return of Samus! I felt like a little girl reunited with her lost puppy.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea I checked, its universal (for zairs). I'm surprised I'd never seen it before watching YB since it makes rising zair suck way less on 2 neutrals.

I can't quickly buffer platform drops out of a platform cancel, how do you do that stealth raptor?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i dont buffer i just do it lol, i havent done it in a long time as it is just a cute little gimmick, it takes some skill to do consistently, looks so cool though. not enough stages to do it on D:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea, I think I've got it, Its so cool I think ill upload another video.
This is the first : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iAYE6IRJbU

I have a theory now (perhaps you can confirm this Stealth Raptor, being a smash researcher and all) after playing around with Link (I originally skipped him because his jump is so short).

On Lylat cruise, Link apparently can't fullhop to reach the middle platform, he just doesn't quite reach it (poor fella). Now this is horribly sad, but apparently he CAN reach it if you platform cancel. So this means platform cancelling moves your character up without having to actually reach the platform's height?

quiKsilverItaly

Smash Journeyman
z-air cancel isn't just a gimmick, it can make Samus really better on Smashville

also is there any mentionable Samus in America on 2012? :p

Xyro77

z-air cancel isn't just a gimmick, it can make Samus really better on Smashville

also is there any mentionable Samus in America on 2012? :p
Yes, me. Btw, are you going to apex?

did Xyro beat someone famous or strong with Samus?
yes but its people you probably have not heard of because they are not top 10 in our country,.

Xyro77

Then I challenge you in a Samus ditto at Apex.

THE BEST USA SAMUS VS THE BEST EURO SAMUS!

do you accept, little man?!?!?!?!?!?

:phone:

Cylosis

Smash Rookie
Hi all!
I'm a young french player and I want to improve my gameplay with Samus. I registered for several years but I never posted here before ^^"
I really love this char, I started with her so I can't do otherwise :)

SWF Name: Cylosis
Brawl Name: Cylo~
Brawl Friend Code: ---
Character(s) and Color(s): Samus andZSS
Contact Information: Skype : xxcylosisxx

Sago

Smash Lord
I want in on these samus dittos. as xyro is free and should not be left to represent the Sami of amurika.
</3 you broke my heart girl. Retribution....
cash in hand!

quiKsilverItaly

Smash Journeyman
i have the feeling Xyro you want to measure your size of smash penis by Samus Dito?
why don't take Ally's Snake or some other top/high tier character (Wario, Pikachu, Fox, Marth, ZSS and more) Samus can beat and look who is playing better?
You see there are a lot of other Matchups a Samus player should really master.

But on the other side I don't want to refuse your challenge, we will talk at Apex. ;)

Sago ofc we can play too.

Cylosis are you going to Leon's Smash Clash this weekend in Paris?

Xyro77

I want in on these samus dittos. as xyro is free and should not be left to represent the Sami of amurika.
</3 you broke my heart girl. Retribution....
cash in hand!
You will get bodied by BOTH of us.

You are an inferior samus because you have to use METAKNIGHT to win.

i have the feeling Xyro you want to measure your size of smash penis by Samus Dito?
My zair is longer than yours. ACCEPT IT!

why don't take Ally's Snake or some other top/high tier character (Wario, Pikachu, Fox, Marth, ZSS and more) Samus can beat and look who is playing better?
You see there are a lot of other Matchups a Samus player should really master.
But you use ZS like 70% of the time in tournament so you will definitely do better than me. i RARELY use my 2ndary (ROB). That is why i wanna see us play the ditto.

But on the other side I don't want to refuse your challenge, we will talk at Apex. ;)
Are you afraid of the GREEN LESBIAN?

DONT BE A WIMP! FIGHT ME! SAMUS DITTO AT APEX!!!!

Zanx8

Smash Journeyman
Wow, what a lovely creature to find in your trash LOL.
I'm using that Zair picture though sometime in the future.

Top Bottom