• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

honeclawshonedge

Smash Rookie
NNID
tom.braithwaite
It's going to be situational. Use against Characters with really good recoveries, like Sheik or Zelda. Others that can be edge guarded with dair, keep using that.
I actually haven't used it against sheik or zelda yet, haven't had enough time to set it up against sheik and wasn't sure if it worked because of the explosion. I guess Dair is better used againstcharacters who would get caught up by the jab easily anyway

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
If Luma is positioned right, he can hit Sheik before sheik reappears. The reason for this is because, while sheik is invisible, she still has a hurt box. Any other method of trying to edge guard sheik isn't worth the risk. She can easily turn the tables and edge guard you. Plus, you get to maintain stage control which is huge.

Edit: Someone correct me if in wrong about Sheik. That was how I understood it

Last edited:

honeclawshonedge

Smash Rookie
NNID
tom.braithwaite
Oh yea I get it now, thats where the 1 frame window of being able to hit her comes from. I guess being able to edge guard sheik is cool but, for me, she's way to quick to predict whether she's going low and if she doesn't then Luma is separated from you which could lead to her Fair'ing you all the way across the stage. Not the kind of position I'd like to be in in that matchup...

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Uh, it's not like recovering with Down B or double jump is the safest thing in the game, a Sheik is most likely aiming to the ledge so you just have to calculate if she has to use Vanish.
It can also be used to edgeguard Falcon and Ganon's command grabs, as you can just sit there with rapid jab and reset until they lose the stock.

Last edited:

honeclawshonedge

Smash Rookie
NNID
tom.braithwaite
I suppose you're right, but by the time you think they're going low you're already committing to a rapid jab which leaves you wide open on stage. I'll definitely use it against ganon a lot though, I'm always dumb and forget that he can just side b you to death...

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Can someone explain to me R & L's recovery? It seems that to often I try to recover backward and either hit the stage and fall helplessly to my death or my controller goes all bad driver on me and sends her the opposite of where I wanted to go.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Can someone explain to me R & L's recovery? It seems that to often I try to recover backward and either hit the stage and fall helplessly to my death or my controller goes all bad driver on me and sends her the opposite of where I wanted to go.
Her up special can be B-Reversed. So in the immediate frames of inputting Up+B, you can press backwards on the control stick and force Rosalina to turn around. However, if you wait just a split second (sorry, don't know the frame data) and then press backwards on the control stick, she will go straight up.

My suggestion, is to go into training mode and try and recover from all angles with her Up Special while facing the stage. Then try all of those angles while facing away from the stage. Even being completely underneath the stage.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If Luma is positioned right, he can hit Sheik before sheik reappears. The reason for this is because, while sheik is invisible, she still has a hurt box. Any other method of trying to edge guard sheik isn't worth the risk. She can easily turn the tables and edge guard you. Plus, you get to maintain stage control which is huge.

Edit: Someone correct me if in wrong about Sheik. That was how I understood it
She has intangibility frames (invincibility) while invisible. There's 1 frame of vulnerability as she reappears during which there's no hitbox. Then there's 3 frames of hitbox.

If she snaps to the ledge with up-b there's only a 1-frame punish window. Also, it takes 18 frames for the intangibility to kick in before she goes Invisible. Initial hitbox starts frame 36-38.

Last edited:

Fanttum

Smash Cadet
So might be picking up Rosaluma, what is the best way to hit with UpAir?

I sometimes get kills with it at 60%, other times not until 100+%.
I would think you want it to hit with both luma and rosa, but what is the best way to aim this? And is it strongest when it first comes out?
Thanks squad.

honeclawshonedge

Smash Rookie
NNID
tom.braithwaite
So might be picking up Rosaluma, what is the best way to hit with UpAir?

I sometimes get kills with it at 60%, other times not until 100+%.
I would think you want it to hit with both luma and rosa, but what is the best way to aim this? And is it strongest when it first comes out?
Thanks squad.
If you're going for outright damage then aim in between where Luma and the Halo cross, Luma knocks the opponent into Rosalina's Halo which is the bit that does the most damage.
If you're going for KO's then you should try and get the opponent diagonally from you in the air. This is because you need to hit it so Luma doesn't hit the opponent into Rosalina, instead doing the maximum amount of knockback. The rule of most of Rosalina's moves apply here; Rosalina does the damage, and Luma does the knockback.
There's 3 hitboxes on the halo, the first one is the strongest and the other 2 are weaker, so try and hit it as early as possible.

Fanttum

Smash Cadet
If you're going for outright damage then aim in between where Luma and the Halo cross, Luma knocks the opponent into Rosalina's Halo which is the bit that does the most damage.
If you're going for KO's then you should try and get the opponent diagonally from you in the air. This is because you need to hit it so Luma doesn't hit the opponent into Rosalina, instead doing the maximum amount of knockback. The rule of most of Rosalina's moves apply here; Rosalina does the damage, and Luma does the knockback.
There's 3 hitboxes on the halo, the first one is the strongest and the other 2 are weaker, so try and hit it as early as possible.
Ok, cool. So use Luma to kill basically? If rosa hits last the knockback goes down?

Also I've seen people combo UpAir into itself off a down throw. How is that preformed? Who (rosa or luma or both) hits when and whats the best timing to jump?

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Up air combos much better. At lower percents, just buffer the jump and up air and they should combo almost automatically if you chase them and buffer again.

darkprizm47

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkprizm47
ZSS really only struggles with Sheik and Pikachu, which Meta Knight can do decently against. If those are the MUs you're trying to cover, Pikachu would probably be your best bet.

Luigi is also an option to help you beat Pikachu if need be.
Actually, check that. I tried out a few matches against ZSS and she's not as hard to deal with using Rosa as I thought. I mostly just need help dealing with Meta knight.

Last edited:

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
whats the best way to react/punish charizard flamethrower or bowser`s flame breath? i find that i usually dont know what to do when people use those moves as a spacing tool. Do you usually shield and wait til its done or try and punish with an aerial?

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I hate counter moves... they were ok when only 2-3 characters had them but now that so much of the cast has it (customs included) it has gotten insane.

To often, especially in online play, once I get someone to kill percentage they are throwing that left and right. I am tryin to go for grab kills, but they don't go quick enough in a time match. (They REALLY need an online stock mode that isn't for glory.. time battles aren't nearly as fun as those.)

How do I go about those with ungoldy counter reflexes?

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
Why are you playing a time match online? Play For Glory or tournament or with friends or something, but don't play time lol that's a horrible idea.

Anyways, just be patient with your follow ups. If it looks like they're trying to land right next to you, they're more than likely trying to bait a smash attack to counter. If you're going for up air strings, maybe be a bit more patient. Also if they're countering on the ground just keep grabbing until they learn better. Grab can lead into follow ups that will kill, and, if you're by the ledge, you can kill with back throw.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Why are you playing a time match online? Play For Glory or tournament or with friends or something, but don't play time lol that's a horrible idea.

Anyways, just be patient with your follow ups. If it looks like they're trying to land right next to you, they're more than likely trying to bait a smash attack to counter. If you're going for up air strings, maybe be a bit more patient. Also if they're countering on the ground just keep grabbing until they learn better. Grab can lead into follow ups that will kill, and, if you're by the ledge, you can kill with back throw.

For Glory: I am no where near ready for that... especially not with R & L. For fun... could have been much more fun with some tweaks.

I am trying to friend the people who I have good close matches with.. so far we haven't been able to play again.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I hate counter moves... they were ok when only 2-3 characters had them but now that so much of the cast has it (customs included) it has gotten insane.

To often, especially in online play, once I get someone to kill percentage they are throwing that left and right. I am tryin to go for grab kills, but they don't go quick enough in a time match. (They REALLY need an online stock mode that isn't for glory.. time battles aren't nearly as fun as those.)

How do I go about those with ungoldy counter reflexes?
Counters ARE annoying when you use Rosalina, he move are mostly easily to be read.

And recently my rage problems had rise up again, especially with Rosalina. I recently don't do well, and then I get mad and frustrated a lot, especially with Rosalina... I dash attack too much, and I never do neutral air and down air well... and I easily get hit on air for no reason. My brother always said I am too easy to read, which really piss me off. How can I be unpredictable?

I always feel I'm suck at Smash, really, for someone who has played Smash for over a decade, I have to say this. One my friend on Skype feels irritated when I say that, I don't know why. And my another bad habit is that on Skype I often type"Urgh..." or even"ARRRGGGGHH!!!!" When I lose, I just can't help it...

I'm not gonna make an unnecessary thread, I hope I can just get some Rosalina advice and mood control advice, please...

ilysm

sleepy
Hullo, Rosalina boards! This character is way cool and I want her to be a solid secondary for me (just after Peach), and I was wondering: how does one initiate the spinning Luma rapid jab on the first jab combo? I've seen it done, but it seems to only work for me after a standard 1-2-3 jab combo, which is much slower.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Hullo, Rosalina boards! This character is way cool and I want her to be a solid secondary for me (just after Peach), and I was wondering: how does one initiate the spinning Luma rapid jab on the first jab combo? I've seen it done, but it seems to only work for me after a standard 1-2-3 jab combo, which is much slower.
I haven't tried that before, I always tried to stung opponents with 1-2-3 jab and then do the spinning Luma to trap them. Of course they can either DI or even just avoid Luma which is I have a problem with. Her moves are predictable and I really have problems dealing with fast characters like Captain Falcon. And I don't really know how to use neutral air properly, I tried Luma air cancel but end up being punished...

ilysm

sleepy
I'm not sure whether or not I explained this badly, sorry. What I'm trying to get is 1-2-spinning jab, but all I can do is 1-2-3 1-2-spinning jab. So her rapid jab requires this lengthy setup. Is this normal? Was there a change I'm unaware of? Sorry if I was unclear.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm not sure whether or not I explained this badly, sorry. What I'm trying to get is 1-2-spinning jab, but all I can do is 1-2-3 1-2-spinning jab. So her rapid jab requires this lengthy setup. Is this normal? Was there a change I'm unaware of? Sorry if I was unclear.
You need to press more quickly, if you press in a pattern, you can to consistent Luma 1-2-3 jab combo.

As you see my post above, I had some problems with Rosalina and even my Smash habits, I need some help too...

Last edited:

honeclawshonedge

Smash Rookie
NNID
tom.braithwaite
So against projectile-based characters I've been experimenting with different ways of using GP, on the ground and immediately after short hopping. If you use the SH way, most people will come toward you to do an aerial of some kind but just as the GP ends you can do a Lunar land Nair which I find works pretty well. Is it better to just do it grounded and then Dtilt straight after or do the jump version?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
So against projectile-based characters I've been experimenting with different ways of using GP, on the ground and immediately after short hopping. If you use the SH way, most people will come toward you to do an aerial of some kind but just as the GP ends you can do a Lunar land Nair which I find works pretty well. Is it better to just do it grounded and then Dtilt straight after or do the jump version?
I think doing it grounded is generally the better option. Short hopped GP->nair is easy to stuff with dash attacks. One upside to it is that it looks cool though. :p

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I think doing it grounded is generally the better option. Short hopped GP->nair is easy to stuff with dash attacks. One upside to it is that it looks cool though. :p
I like SH away from them and do GP. If they try and dash attack, throw out an auto canceled fair. It can rek them.

Last edited:

MeteorSpike

Smash Cadet
This may be more of a general question, but with regards to Rosa: How does grab/throw "armor" or "invincibility" work?
If I do a shorthop NAir against someone, space it such that I hit them near the end of the move's arc, and input luma to do FTilt/UTilt/DTilt just before I get shieldgrabbed, sometimes it'll work and sometimes it won't.
To be more specific, sometimes luma will do my buffered input command, sometimes he won't.
Or sometimes, luma's attack will knock away the shieldgrabber, cancelling their grab, other times his attack will "clank," procuring the visible white circles, as if he hit someone who had just respawned.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
This may be more of a general question, but with regards to Rosa: How does grab/throw "armor" or "invincibility" work?
If I do a shorthop NAir against someone, space it such that I hit them near the end of the move's arc, and input luma to do FTilt/UTilt/DTilt just before I get shieldgrabbed, sometimes it'll work and sometimes it won't.
To be more specific, sometimes luma will do my buffered input command, sometimes he won't.
Or sometimes, luma's attack will knock away the shieldgrabber, cancelling their grab, other times his attack will "clank," procuring the visible white circles, as if he hit someone who had just respawned.
There's no grab armor on regular grabs in this game.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
There's no grab armor on regular grabs in this game.
There are points where characters are invulnerable during throw animating. If you're getting the white bubbles, you might just be hitting them as they're already throwing you.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
There are points where characters are invulnerable during throw animating. If you're getting the white bubbles, you might just be hitting them as they're already throwing you.
I wonder if my post attracts people that try to disprove of what I'm saying.

Thsnks for the info.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
How do you guys go about getting the kill?

I am trying to make the Uair sweet spot consistent but that is iffy.

I suspect I need to get braver with my offstage game... but the frustration that comes from her uncooperative recovery at times (which i am drilling myself with) makes it iffy.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
How do you guys go about getting the kill?

I am trying to make the Uair sweet spot consistent but that is iffy.

I suspect I need to get braver with my offstage game... but the frustration that comes from her uncooperative recovery at times (which i am drilling myself with) makes it iffy.
tbh it's better to get a safe kill with like jab at 150% than camping for it

I often use
uair
dair
usmash
luma nair
jab

MeteorSpike

Smash Cadet
Rosalina's DAir can indeed autocancel in a shorthop, but the timing is very strict, requiring the DAir to be inputted practically on the frame the shorthop is done. You basically have to roll your finger from your "jump" button to your "attack" button, both while holding down on the analog. Again, the timing is very tight, but I find provides a surprisingly strong maneuver consisting of both smooth, flowing movement and an attack. With Luma tethered to Rosalina, it becomes downright scary because of how strong we all know Luma's DAir to be. Not only that, but it also provides another way to do autocancelled aerials, allowing for Luma-landings with even the finicky NAir, and it's 1-2 frame autocancel window. On top of all this, also helps with edgeguarding: If Rosalina does a DAir early enough in a shorthop, she can hop over an edge while covering it with DAir, and then recover from the DAir just barely in time to grab the edge she was just previously shorthopping over. I like doing this because it cover the edge twofold, with both an attack in the form of the DAir, and then immediately followed by the threat of a trump, should the opponent have avoided the DAir via edge-grab intangibility. In the event of the former, the DAir threatens with a potential spike if the opponent doesn't receive edge-grab intangibility at the right time. In the event of the latter, the trump still gives Rosalina advantage if they do receive edge-grab intangibility at the right time, but only for you to snatch the edge from them soon afterwards.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
tbh it's better to get a safe kill with like jab at 150% than camping for it

I often use
uair
dair
usmash
luma nair
jab

At 150% I will keep that in mind... though I have often found (in general, this isn't R & L specific) that if I am taking that long to kill I am losing and I need sooner options... which when I watch my replays leads to me marrying a tactic (Till death do us part... not the American style marriage) and becoming predictable.

As for the list thank you. I know it varies character and stage but any general percentages to look for that with?

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
At 150% I will keep that in mind... though I have often found (in general, this isn't R & L specific) that if I am taking that long to kill I am losing and I need sooner options... which when I watch my replays leads to me marrying a tactic (Till death do us part... not the American style marriage) and becoming predictable.

As for the list thank you. I know it varies character and stage but any general percentages to look for that with?
Luma Nair - 150%
Dair - 100% with luma
Uair - 90%
Usmash - 85%
Jab - 130%

these are estimates

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Luma Nair - 150%
Dair - 100% with luma
Uair - 90%
Usmash - 85%
Jab - 130%

these are estimates
Thank you... at my level estimates are enough to try and remember. Maybe I will eventually get character specific ones, and know different blast zones... but I can't try to learn to much at once... especially not with something that serves no purpose but entertainment.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Thank you... at my level estimates are enough to try and remember. Maybe I will eventually get character specific ones, and know different blast zones... but I can't try to learn to much at once... especially not with something that serves no purpose but entertainment.
Don't forget her back air. Not really her best kill option, but still useful off-stage at 150% on Mario and Soinc, and 170% with Luma on stage as a mix-up and surprise attack.

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
Forward smash is another move that's been forgotten... It's great for reading ledge and general getup options, as well as punishing unsafe moves. It's her earliest kill move on the ground too, so if you see an opening, use it!

Top Bottom