• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it's just me, but I think I've starting noticing more Rosalina players online and in tournaments keeping Luma separate than before. Is it truly recommended, just to add pressure and be harder to hit? I've used AceStarThe3rd's guide, which has helped a lot in using Rosalina better. In his guide, he kind of discourages keeping Luma out often. But lately in his Rosalina undefetable videos, he's been keeping Luma separated for pressure.

Normally I have shot Luma away for finishing blows when it's safe, edge guarding and to try to prevent opponents with chargeable specials from charging their projectiles.

So I guess I should keep Luma out often? Is there a proper way to do so? Because some opponents have no problem trying to dash into Luma to knock it off stage.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I would say that probably needs an own big discussion, since the reward is great if you are able to keep pressuring with detethered luma, its probably a matchupthing even though ive yet to get the experience for when its good and when its better to hold luma near.

Jpluma

Smash Rookie
Great description thanks.. I Was trying trying to find the video for this and was unsuccessful.. Anyone have an example of this on video?

how do you set up the rapid jab that dabuz and fallin have been using as an edge guard lately. I think dabuz used it against larry lurr and fallin used it on his last match against nakat at ceo. Luma is sent out and bouncing up and down, while its lower luma does a rapid jab just under the stage while rosalina is right near the edge doing her jab?
With Luma Shot.

Shoot Luma, Walk Forward, Wait for Luma to turn, Multijab

With Luma Warp.
Start from slightly farther away (say right beneath a battlefield platform). Dash forward and stop, Wait for Luma to turn and Multijab

Make sure you are in a good position with Rosa and make sure you time the multijab perfectly for Luma.

Luma when shot or warped off stage will do the following.
Realize its offstage. Turn towards the stage and then start jumping up and towards it.
If you time it too late Luma will be jump out of position. Too early and Luma will be facing the wrong way.

-Khakis

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Great description thanks.. I Was trying trying to find the video for this and was unsuccessful.. Anyone have an example of this on video?
Video by Falln. I'd recommend watching the whole thing if you want to get a feel for how separate Rosa + Luma can be played, but the setup in question is the last stock of the video.

https://youtu.be/n6hroiNkCZ8?t=8m40s

Jpluma

Smash Rookie
Video by Falln. I'd recommend watching the whole thing if you want to get a feel for how separate Rosa + Luma can be played, but the setup in question is the stock of the video.

https://youtu.be/n6hroiNkCZ8?t=8m40s
Thanks! That whole video is like a tutorial. I definitely have to practice that jab 1 2 that fox got caught in. I was also a fan of his quick down tilts immediately after landing. How does he call back Luma so quick at 2:43? I tthought she would have been in hitstun then.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Thanks! That whole video is like a tutorial. I definitely have to practice that jab 1 2 that fox got caught in. I was also a fan of his quick down tilts immediately after landing. How does he call back Luma so quick at 2:43? I tthought she would have been in hitstun then.
It's a combination of two things:
- Doing any aerial while Luma is tethered, but not directly next to Rosalina calls it back as early as possible. The mechanic is most obvious when you're hit with a smash attack and Luma chills next to your opponent afterward until you input something.

- A fresh Luma is generally more resistant to being sent into tumble, so two jabs and a tilt merely cause it to flinch. I've never actually tested it, but I have a hunch that in the moments after a Luma spawns, it gains a bit of knockback resistance ( don't quote me on that, it's more or less just a guess ).

But yeah, if you're new to the character, I'd say put as much effort as possible getting comfortable playing with the pair tethered and untethered. She's incredibly flexible in how she can handle certain situations and characters, and having as many options as possible will really help you when playing against difficult opponents.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Hmm, i need to work a bit on some fundamentals, theres one situation i should be able to get a ton better at.

During edgeguard, im spacing so that if the opponent rolls, theyll go into my jab, thats used to send out luma to pressure their after regular getup shield. What moves do you use, are there any interesting frametraps for example if they like to jump out of shield very high, that also is certain to cover if they just wait in sheild and roll in?
Like good greedy(for example does anything maintain the advantage? as long as you buffer a smart move after?) moves to use when ahead (like metaknights fsmash on shield to dsmash frametrap in brawl).
I want to learn that "standard" responses before mixing up with some of my more interesting setups, just to make sure i can get more consistent first.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Shulk can outrange Rosalina easily if you get his spacing down pat, but if you mess up it's easy for Rosalina to punish because his frame data is bootycheeks.

(Although honestly you could say that about Shulk vs. anyone.)

Last edited:

Isaweth

Smash Rookie
So i've recently started picking up Rosalina and Luma, and i like them alot. She's a character with alot of her tools at her disposal, mainly because of luma. However, it seems like any attack will kill luma, even when he just respawns. This pisses me off, because with out luma, Rosalina kind of sucks (Except for up air :crazy:) 7 times out of ten for me about, one jab combo will kill luma. I dont know if this is a glitch, but its super annoying. Does anyone know how to combat this from happening? Suggestions would be helpful. I appreciate it. Thanks

-Isaweth:4rob::rosalina::4fox:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Be careful when facing anyone who has any heavy-hitting attacks, as they can send the Luma packing rather quickly. Just try to keep the Luma close to Rosalina in those situations.

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
So i've recently started picking up Rosalina and Luma, and i like them alot. She's a character with alot of her tools at her disposal, mainly because of luma. However, it seems like any attack will kill luma, even when he just respawns. This pisses me off, because with out luma, Rosalina kind of sucks (Except for up air :crazy:) 7 times out of ten for me about, one jab combo will kill luma. I dont know if this is a glitch, but its super annoying. Does anyone know how to combat this from happening? Suggestions would be helpful. I appreciate it. Thanks

It's one of the things you will have to work on if you want to play her and win, there is nothing that can save Luma 100% of the time unfortunately sorry :/ but best of luck to you and your Rosalina and Luma

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Put yourself in situations where they can't even threaten luma with dash attacks or multijabs.
That's the first step.
I think a secondary much harder skill is shield angling to protect Luma when you're getting poked.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hey Rosa players! We from the Ryu boards are making a doubles thread. The purpose of the thread is to find the best partner for Ryu. I'm going to invite as many people I can at once and get discussions going on all at once. We invite you to our dojo and hope you could help us discuss Rosalina & Luma and Ryu in doubles. Thank you in advance!

Odon

Smash Cadet
Trying to find a counter to Rosaluma, I play falcon and roy but can't seem to edge it out over rosa. I've tried jigs and link as well but neither really worked. This is the only match up ( other than sheik because I'm a falcon main) that I really struggle with. I've been thinking of picking up pit to counter rosa but don't know how well that would work. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Trying to find a counter to Rosaluma, I play falcon and roy but can't seem to edge it out over rosa. I've tried jigs and link as well but neither really worked. This is the only match up ( other than sheik because I'm a falcon main) that I really struggle with. I've been thinking of picking up pit to counter rosa but don't know how well that would work. Any advice would be appreciated.
From what I can recall, Yoshi, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Pikachu, and Wario have been known to give Rosalina some trouble. I can't really explain how though, but part of it has to do with their mobility.

Odon

Smash Cadet
From what I can recall, Yoshi, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Pikachu, and Wario have been known to give Rosalina some trouble. I can't really explain how though, but part of it has to do with their mobility.
I might try to pick up sheik to cover rosa and the sheik ditto. Either that or ZSS, I've actually been wanting to try out ZSS for a while so this just gives me an excuse to learn her.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Characters like Yoshi, Pikachu and Kirby have pretty safe multihit approach options that can drain Rosas shield and knock Luma away and potentially KO Luma.

Pikachu also has the dope frame data and can commit to a full smash attack to knock luma off stage without staying too vulnerable. Little Mac is the same way.

ZSS and sheik have quick zone breaking options and can juggle Luma with aerials and knock luma off stage for free. Plus as two of the best pressure based characters in the game they can go to town on Solo-Rosa. Pikachu kind of applies here too.

Wario has the quick bike custom. It beat Dabuz and has given me issue at nationals. Its basically one button that can punish rosa for commiting to a SH height aerial. And if that wasn't enough even if you're standing still with a full shield quick bike will destroy luma at a crazy knockback angle that will almost always knock Luma offstage and Wario will be safe afterwards.

Even without quick bike he can cause problems with regular bike and is just straight up hard to kill. A wario that waits for fart and uses it well can KO a Rosa anytime, especially in a 2-stock tournament standard game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wario has the quick bike custom. It beat Dabuz and has given me issue at nationals. Its basically one button that can punish rosa for commiting to a SH height aerial. And if that wasn't enough even if you're standing still with a full shield quick bike will destroy luma at a crazy knockback angle that will almost always knock Luma offstage and Wario will be safe afterwards.

Even without quick bike he can cause problems with regular bike and is just straight up hard to kill. A wario that waits for fart and uses it well can KO a Rosa anytime, especially in a 2-stock tournament standard game.
Wario's high mobility in the air adds to problem, since he can always play cat & mouse until Wario Waft is fully charged, and then let it fly on Rosalina once he gets close to her. Even Rose Waft needs to be taken note, since it charges up faster, and while it delivers less knockback than Wario Waft, its ability to add damaging flowers to opponents can mean big trouble for Rosalina if she gets hit by a full power Rose Waft.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Totally right. Whatever custom wario chooses really alters the matchup. Even quick waft can be a Luma disaster.
Other things to take note of
Charged Downsmash on the ledge catches Rosa recovery for free
Warios can do completely unsafe Dairs near corner with the goal of killing luma and the trade is worth it.
Wario fair is a godlike air to air in this matchup.

Properly implementing tech like Bike Denial with gravitational pull changes the matchup significantly though and Rosa really has to be on point with punishing landings in order to win this matchup. Wario poses problems unlike any other for Rosalina and is a matchup that needs to be studied for sure.

Last edited:

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
how do I deal with defensive pricks like toon link the projectiles are so annoying to play against because of Rosa's massive hurtbox? And how can I improve my juggle game, I always either try to bait the air dodge and I don't get the up air or I try to Up air but they just air dodge. Please help.

Jpluma

Smash Rookie
Properly implementing tech like Bike Denial with gravitational pull changes the matchup significantly though and Rosa really has to be on point with punishing landings in order to win this matchup. Wario poses problems unlike any other for Rosalina and is a matchup that needs to be studied for sure.
Where can I find more about this bike denial tech?

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd1yknzN6uY

Here is a video of me at an NY biweekly. This wario won the tournament before this one and we play a bit. You can see me using bike denial in game 1 to control the pace of the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXIBxhjKRYw
I linked Dabuz v Abadango from Evo here as well (more on the Wario-Rosa matchup).

Dabuz gets hit by quick bike into footstool and loses his first stock and the match/
But after that first stock los he challenges the bike in super clever ways. Dash attack with Luma does enough damage to just straight up break the bike. Plus he grabs Wario out of the bike, which might just be Dabuz being godlike or a viable option to beat the bike head on as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd1yknzN6uY

Here is a video of me at an NY biweekly. This wario won the tournament before this one and we play a bit. You can see me using bike denial in game 1 to control the pace of the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXIBxhjKRYw
I linked Dabuz v Abadango from Evo here as well (more on the Wario-Rosa matchup).

Dabuz gets hit by quick bike into footstool and loses his first stock and the match/
But after that first stock los he challenges the bike in super clever ways. Dash attack with Luma does enough damage to just straight up break the bike. Plus he grabs Wario out of the bike, which might just be Dabuz being godlike or a viable option to beat the bike head on as well.
Luma shot blows up speed bike.....

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I didn't see this mentioned in the op and I'm too tired and lazy to read 11 pages of questions so my apologies if this has already been asked. I've been practicing perfect pivoting with all of the characters I use and Rosa is one of them and one thing I noticed that caught my interest is that if you PP dtilt it can act like a dsmash of sorts with Rosa attacking the direction you're originally facing and Luma attacking behind you. In general does Rosa get much out of perfect pivoting, namely PP dtilt?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
You don't have to perfect pivot for Luma to attack behind you during dtilt. You just gotta hold down and a little bit behind you on the control stick, and Luma will attack behind you.

That said, yes it's incredible useful.

One example: If you want to space a dtilt at Rosalina's feet, but they roll behind you the same time as your attack, Luma will hit them because she attacks after Rosalina.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I picked R&L up after seeing some youtube stuff... and I am having fun with her and think I will bring her to the lab.

What are the 1st things I should train in training mode?

What are kill moves, when do I use them?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I picked R&L up after seeing some youtube stuff... and I am having fun with her and think I will bring her to the lab.

What are the 1st things I should train in training mode?

What are kill moves, when do I use them?
You can always refer to my complete coverage thread to know which attacks are capable of making KOs. As for knowing how to use Rosalina properly, there are many threads here that you can refer to, and you can always use the directory thread to help you out too.

darkprizm47

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkprizm47
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a Secondary for Rosalina? I've looked around and heard that Captain, Luigi, and Sonic are all good. Anyone know any others?

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
It seems Mario and especially Luigi are are the best secondaries for Rosalina, as they can both use their fireballs to shut down faster approaches and tend to do well against characters like Pikachu. Really you just want someone to beat Pikachu and other fast characters like ZSS.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
You can always refer to my complete coverage thread to know which attacks are capable of making KOs. As for knowing how to use Rosalina properly, there are many threads here that you can refer to, and you can always use the directory thread to help you out too.
I was planning to do that... but I have found when I do I get a bit overwhelmed by all the info and end up learning nothing... hence why I ask for
And I appreciate those threads but if I try to dive in I am going to feel overwhelmed and learn nothing... or try something not so basic without learning the basics that enable it... I am asking what to do 1st, knowing there are a lot of options.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
I'm so sorry... I feel like this question may have been asked a lot, but I can't find the answer myself... I'm probably looking in the wrong places. lol.

When are weird times when Luma can act that most people wouldn't expect? Like I know that Luma can't act when Rosa is grabbed, but I saw a Marth get killed charging a usmash when Rosa was in her up-B helpless animation... :T
So yeah, I'm assuming Luma can still do that. What other weird things can Luma do?

And if there's a resource that I can look at or watch that tells me all about Luma, that would be great too.

Last edited:

darkprizm47

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkprizm47
When are weird times when Luma can act that most people wouldn't expect?
If your shield breaks, you can still attack with Luma.
Also, if Luma's still paired with you, after being launched away there's a bit of time before Luma goes over to you so you could use maybe a smash attack on your opponent then and they might not expect it.

It seems Mario and especially Luigi are are the best secondaries for Rosalina, as they can both use their fireballs to shut down faster approaches and tend to do well against characters like Pikachu. Really you just want someone to beat Pikachu and other fast characters like ZSS.
That's strange. I just heard that characters like Shiek and ZSS were perfect for countering Luigi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something

The main thing is to hold center stage. It's a super important thing as Rosalina (And for all characters really, but especially her). It might feel weird at the start to make stage control a priority, but you get used to it.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
What are Rosalina's good and bad stages?

She seems to excel on Delfino, Battlefield, and Town & City since she can repeatedly Uair for combos and bait with the platforms.

Does she have any negative stages?

darkprizm47

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkprizm47
What are Rosalina's good and bad stages?

She seems to excel on Delfino, Battlefield, and Town & City since she can repeatedly Uair for combos and bait with the platforms.

Does she have any negative stages?
I do really well on Duck Hunt. It's pretty big and if someone lands on the tree it's easy to up air them into oblivion. Donky Kong 64 is also pretty good since it has good space, ease of access to those all important up airs and the floor can be up-b'd through so recovering is easy.

As far as negatives go, I struggle on the first 2 forms of castle siege. The first part is pretty small and encourages close quarters combat and the second part's statues get in the way of my attacks (especially the star bit shot special) and the platforms are weird.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I do really well on Duck Hunt. It's pretty big and if someone lands on the tree it's easy to up air them into oblivion. Donky Kong 64 is also pretty good since it has good space, ease of access to those all important up airs and the floor can be up-b'd through so recovering is easy.

As far as negatives go, I struggle on the first 2 forms of castle siege. The first part is pretty small and encourages close quarters combat and the second part's statues get in the way of my attacks (especially the star bit shot special) and the platforms are weird.
Neos was actually doing really well on me in Castle Siege. I only beat him there because of a lucky spike.

Top Bottom