• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Rosalina Q&A Thread

Got any questions about Rosalina or her Luma partner that you want answered? Ask them right here, and someone who owns the game might be able to help you out. Please remember that all questions here must be related to Rosalina or the Luma.

FAQs
The following are simply questions that have been answered already. Please refer to this post before asking any questions.

• Starbound: How does Gravitational Pull affect Duck Hunt's cans?
    • ParanoidDrone: From what I've seen you can use Gravitational Pull on anything Villager can pocket, i.e. everything not nailed to the stage or part of a character like Link's sword. It pulls in the flower pot from Villager's dash attack, for instance. It only remains to be seen how it interacts with beams like Thoron.
  • Neos: Hey quick question, what are all of the options Luma can do when Rosalina gets grabbed? I tried doing different attacks including shooting star bits but all I can do is Luma's aerials, from what it looks like to me. Is this true?
    • ThunderSt0rm: Since Rosalina is grounded while grabbed, only ground based "A" button options seem available with luma.
  • Lumancer: It's been implied that the different colored lumas have different properties, but I haven't seen any specifics. Are there any differences, or are red lumas / metal lumas / etc. merely cosmetic?
    • SFA aka SmileyFace: It seems cosmetic, I haven't noted any differences.
  • berserker01: What are Luma's (Chiko's) values? Like as in, values for its weight or HP if it has one?
    • Neos: I heard it has about 50 HP, but I'm not too sure about that yet.
    • ParanoidDrone: That's what I heard too, although getting knocked offstage seems to be the leading cause of death among Lumas instead of taking a hit too many.
  • Neos: So I was watching Dabuz's Rosalina (who's arguably the best Rosalina I've seen...for now :smirk:) vs a Lucario and I noticed something weird about the Luma in the fight. Here you can see that the Luma (not linked to Rosalina) will gradually move to the left on its own and end up right in front of Lucario. I highly doubt Dabuz planned that at all, but I was wondering why the Luma moved so steadily even though Rosalina didn't do anything to make it do so.
    • ThunderSt0rm: Luma will slowly try to return to Rosalina after being sent out. When he does, he will space himself around 1-2 character lengths in front of Rosalina when he makes it back until you manually call Luma back. If you turn away from Luma while he is out, he will return slightly faster because he wants to get in front of you. So for example if he's already back and spaced 1-2 character lengths away as mentioned before, if you turn around, Luma will move over to the side you are facing.
    • #HBC | Bunzy: To expand, Luma has a very specific movement pattern, the only RNG I've found is if Rosa stays completely idle for a few seconds when Luma is away, Luma will randomly move a to the left or right. So that movement was actually very intentional, obviously I don't have perfect Luma control this early, but it's really easy to control him.
  • Jackson: I know all of us are new: but what playstyle with this character has been working for you guys? I'm kinda struggling.
    • Neos: For me, Rosalina and Luma play more defensively and not too aggressive. I mostly stay patient and use my Star Bits and tilts most of the time to space out my opponent. I also focus on having stage control and use my Luma to pressure my opponent not only to make them feel that their options are useless, but so I can predict what they'll do (like predicting rolls for example). However, be aware that Rosalina (especially without the Luma) will have a SERIOUSLY hard time getting back to the stage if your opponent knows how to gimp her and prevent her from land back to the stage safely. I don't I made much sense here but I'll be playing in Smash 3ds tournament today called "Smash Carolina" so hopefully I can show what I meant.
  • Rawkstar: Hey, I've got a quick question...I was practicing as Rosalina, and messing around with her aerial attacks, and I haven't managed to get any meteor smashes, at least, not any that shoot the opponent in a downwards direction? Can anyone confirm if it is/isn't possible to meteor smash with Rosi using the down aerial?
    • ParanoidDrone: Rosalina's meteor is weird. As far as I can tell, you need to space it so that you hit with the ring as it's descending from Rosalina, as opposed to trying to bash the target with her feet. I suppose you could think of it as a timing-based sweetspot rather than simply a matter of aim. The meteor itself is fairly weak in any event. That said, I have not done any sort of real testing on this, which will almost certainly need to be done at some point.
  • gamerkim28: I can't help but feel I'm missing something here, but does anyone know how to recover a Luma that is hit offstage? Nothing I seem to do can stop that Luma from falling.
    • -Jax: If they're hit, no. Another reason to make sure you control center stage as Rosalina & Luma.
  • HonorBasquiat: What are some good bread and butter combos or grab follow ups for Rosalina and Luma that work on most or all characters?
    • ParanoidDrone: I like dthrow or uthrow into fair or uair, although it seems to be character and percent dependent. But throws into aerials in general are a pretty good starting point. Dash attack into aerials also works more often than not, but the same caveats apply. Also I'm pretty sure it can be punished on shield if you abuse it too much. At super low percents, Luma Shot into Star Bit spam can tack on a fair bit of damage until they grow a brain and jump over Luma. Watch for that and intercept.
    • Starbound: At low percents, I'm able to do Dash Attack into Fair into a second Fair for about 20% damage. UThrow into UAir are another favorite of mine and sometimes you're able to get a bit of a juggle going. UAir is so safe with right timing as Rosalina is really hard to hit from below (I've been able to beat Link and Tink Dairs with Rosa's UAir).
  • Yaargh!: Say you use Gravitational Pull on a fully-charged Sheik Needle Shot. Would it pull in ALL of the needles or only pull in one and let you get hit by the rest of something?
    • ParanoidDrone: Gravitational Pull has a duration and affects all projectiles in range for the duration. It depends on the timing of the move relative to when the needles come out, and whether or not the total duration is sufficient, but in theory at least it should pull all the needles in. The problem is that Sheik can quickly throw out a single needle basically whenever she wants, so trying to pull those in on reaction is problematic.
  • xStJimmy: Hey guys, new Rosalina player here. I've been maining her since the japanese game came out and I love her mostly cuz I'm not an expert player, and most of the time Luma does what I was trying to do with Rosie, having another character that does what I wanted to when I'm not in the spot I was supposed to be is cool, but I'm having troubles with rolls and blocks. When a rival rolls and it's close to me, i do a DSmash, and it takes a while to hit, is there any move that have less starting lag than dsmash? I think the terminology for what i'm asking is an attack that 'pokes'.
    • ParanoidDrone: All of your tilts are good pokes, although ftilt and dtilt don't hit behind you and utilt only hits directly above you. Luma has his own versions too, of course. I like using them out of shield in particular. Nair, although not really a poke, does stay out for ages so it can catch people off guard that way.
  • WeirdChillFever: How can you control Luma? I keep using Luma Shot and Luma Callback, but are there other ways to influence Luma's position on the field?
    • ParanoidDrone: Using jab will make Luma move forward as it attacks, although this obviously leaves Rosalina vulnerable. If you use Luma Shot and stand Still, Luma will retreat to maintain a specific distance from Rosalina; mashing inputs will keep it in place and prevent it from moving. Similarly it can't stay in the air under its own power but will stay in place to use any move you input. You can also command Luma to attack as it's returning to you, although there needs to be a fair amount of distance otherwise it'll be at your side before you finish the animation. Otherwise the same guidelines apply.
  • Cel: Hey, I need some help here. I am having MAJOR problems with this type of playstyle: opponents who run from one edge of the stage to the other while throwing projectiles. I am getting destroyed by them and cannot figure out what to do. Can anyone give me any tips for fighting against this?

Example: I lost to a greninja for about an hour straight and he literally did nothing but throw stars and run from one end of each stage to the other.

• Mario_and_Sonic_Guy: Try using Gravitational Pull. Most projectile games are rendered ineffective by that move. This in return, can force projectile spammers to have to attack you directly.
  • Los4Muros: When I have matches against Rosalina, if I OK Luma, he comes up in different colors. I've seen him in green, red and black if we don't count the common yellow colors. What does each color mean? When I see it's black I try to avoid any contact with the star. But maybe I shouldn't be so scared of what it does. So what does each color do?
    • Mario_and_Sonic_Guy: All Luma colors are completely aesthetic, so you don't have to worry about which color that you'll get.
  • GroundZero996: What are some good strings/ combos for Rosalina? I know down throw to Fair is an ok pseudo combo, but does she have any real combos, or does she just do spacing with Luma?
    • Iron Kraken: At low %s, Rosalina can combo up-throw into up-tilt. It's the only guaranteed combo I know about, but it doesn't rack up all that much damage. Down-throw to Fair works pretty well as you say, but your opponent can air dodge out of it, so if my opponent shows the ability to escape it, the next time I go for down-throw to Fair I'll usually pause ever so slightly before attacking, so that it hits just after their air dodge.
  • iMeeHow: I looked at a few threads and haven't found this. So I was watching a tournament match yesterday and one guy called Luma back to him, and Luma did contact damage to the opponent on his way back. I know pressing 'B' calls Luma back to you. but it doesn't seem to do any damage if it hits someone on the way back, am i missing something?
    • ParanoidDrone: You can press buttons as Luma returns to make it attack as it moves. With the recent increase in Luma's speed as it returns, it's a bit trickier to do but still possible in general.
  • StarGalaxy777: Question of the day at what point does Rosalina's down air spike like where exactly is the sweetspot for it.
    • Mario_and_Sonic_Guy: Rosalina's down aerial has four different hitboxes, based on how far away the ring is from Rosalina's feet. It's the attack's second hitbox that has meteor smash properties; the meteor smash hitbox deals up to 7% damage.
  • Yams Everywhere: What are some desynch options for rosalina? Nuetral-B obviously works, and I know jab separates them. Anything else?
    • ParanoidDrone: Use nair, fair, or bair just before landing. (Uair and dair might work too but I've had limited success. Nair is best overall for this purpose IMO anyway.) Rosalina will land and autocancel without any hitboxes coming out and is free to move right away. Luma, however, will still do the attack. If they're linked together, you can dash, roll, etc. and basically have a moving hitbox around you. This gives you shield pressure, mixups, and true combos into dash attack, smashes, and grab. Not really a good approach since you have to do an empty SH at the very least and that telegraphs your intent, but it's an option.

Using side B while in the air holds Luma in place while Rosalina keeps going, and you can use another move right after to keep it there. It'll fly back to you as soon as it's able, though.
  • Zionaze: Hello yall~ my friend who i smash with and mains rosalina sometimes complains that rosalina has inferior aerial game but is this true? Or is my friend just not gud :V (i play Falco and Shiek)
    • ParanoidDrone: He's just not that good. It's true that Rosalina lacks a fast GTFO aerial, but Luma can help fill in that gap depending on the situation. All of her aerials are useful.
  • SirPsychoMantis: I've been watching some videos and I see almost no use of Rosalina's specials, except the occasional Down B to eat a projectile. It seems like Neutral B could be a good spacing tool (place Luma on the edge and do an arial with Rosalina to edge guard or something). Meanwhile the Side B seems pretty useless, has anyone tried experimenting with these or is everyone just riding the Nair train?
    • Parcheesy: Neutral b isn't used often because you're betting your Luma's life that the attack will hit, and you'll have enough time to recall it before it's picked off ( I can't confirm it, but it feels like Luma goes into tumble easier when it's untethered ). The recall animation is also deceptively long, so the potential punish usually isn't worth the risk.

Side b is the same deal. The move comes out fairly slow, and any amount of flinching from your Luma leaves Rosalina waving her want around pointlessly for a few moments. It does get bonus points for being a good spacing tool against opponents who get relatively close to your Luma without nearing its melee range.

Generally, they're 'okay' moves, but when Rosalina has so many safer options, people tend to shy away from the risk. You're not going to be the town laughingstock for using them though, so if you like using them, keep doing it.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Voice Actor?

Laura Faye Smith says she is voicing her but it sounds more like Kerri Kane.

What are Rosalina cpus like?

In the demo, people said that Rosalina has this strange ability to survive strong hits, does she still have this?

How easy is it to kill her?

How long does Gravitational Pull last? Can it leave you vulnerable?

How fast is she?

How powerful are her grabs?

How strong is she without Luma?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
How does Gravitational Pull effect Duck Hunt's cans?
From what I've seen you can use Gravitational Pull on anything Villager can pocket, i.e. everything not nailed to the stage or part of a character like Link's sword. It pulls in the flower pot from Villager's dash attack, for instance.

It only remains to be seen how it interacts with beams like Thoron.

Last edited:

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
So someone told that a Rosalina player got first place in a 3ds tournament I think is located New Jersey. Is this true?

Neos

Smash Cadet
Hey quick question, what are all of the options Luma can do when Rosalina gets grabbed? I tried doing different attacks including shooting star bits but all I can do is Luma's aerials, from what it looks like to me. Is this true?

Lumancer

Smash Apprentice
It's been implied that the different colored lumas have different properties, but I haven't seen any specifics. Are there any differences, or are red lumas / metal lumas / etc. merely cosmetic?

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Hey quick question, what are all of the options Luma can do when Rosalina gets grabbed? I tried doing different attacks including shooting star bits but all I can do is Luma's aerials, from what it looks like to me. Is this true?
Since Rosalina is grounded while grabbed, only ground based "A" button options seem available with luma.

What are Luma's (Chiko's) values? Like as in, values for its weight or HP if it has one?

Okay so I searched around and didn't find anything. What is known about the Luma's mechanics while Rosalina is in hitstun? I'm asking because in this video, it looks like some sort of a buffer mechanic happens while Rosalina is suffering hitstun. After the DTilt from Villager, Luma did what looked like a DAir, then once Rosalina came out of hitstun, it looked like she began to do one too before landing.

Last edited:

Neos

Smash Cadet
So I was watching Dabuz's Rosalina (who's arguably the best Rosalina I've seen...for now :smirk:) vs a Lucario and I noticed something weird about the Luma in the fight. Here you can see that the Luma (not linked to Rosalina) will gradually move to the left on its own and end up right in front of Lucario. I highly doubt Dabuz planned that at all, but I was wondering why the Luma moved so steadily even though Rosalina didn't do anything to make it do so.

Also, 3 HOURS UNTIL SMASH 3DS FOR NA!! :joyful:

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
So I was watching Dabuz's Rosalina (who's arguably the best Rosalina I've seen...for now :smirk:) vs a Lucario and I noticed something weird about the Luma in the fight. Here you can see that the Luma (not linked to Rosalina) will gradually move to the left on its own and end up right in front of Lucario. I highly doubt Dabuz planned that at all, but I was wondering why the Luma moved so steadily even though Rosalina didn't do anything to make it do so.

Also, 3 HOURS UNTIL SMASH 3DS FOR NA!! :joyful:
Luma will slowly try to return to Rosalina after being sent out. When he does, he will space himself around 1-2 character lengths in front of Rosalina when he makes it back until you manually call Luma back.

If you turn away from Luma while he is out, he will return slightly faster because he wants to get in front of you. So for example if he's already back and spaced 1-2 character lengths away as mentioned before, if you turn around, Luma will move over to the side you are facing.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
So is there any sort general Rosalina gameplay yet? Any idea what niche the character fills and how he approaches matches?

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Luma will slowly try to return to Rosalina after being sent out. When he does, he will space himself around 1-2 character lengths in front of Rosalina when he makes it back until you manually call Luma back.

If you turn away from Luma while he is out, he will return slightly faster because he wants to get in front of you. So for example if he's already back and spaced 1-2 character lengths away as mentioned before, if you turn around, Luma will move over to the side you are facing.
To expand, Luma has a very specific movement pattern, the only RNG I've found is if Rosa stays completely idle for a few seconds when Luma is away, Luma will randomly move a to the left or right. So that movement was actually very intentional, obviously I don't have perfect Luma control this early, but it's really easy to control him.

Neos

Smash Cadet
I know all of us are new: but what playstyle with this character has been working for you guys? I'm kinda struggling.
For me, Rosalina and Luma play more defensively and not too aggressive. I mostly stay patient and use my Star Bits and tilts most of the time to space out my opponent. I also focus on having stage control and use my Luma to pressure my opponent not only to make them feel that their options are useless, but so I can predict what they'll do (like predicting rolls for example). However, be aware that Rosalina (especially without the Luma) will have a SERIOUSLY hard time getting back to the stage if your opponent knows how to gimp her and prevent her from land back to the stage safely.

I don't I made much sense here but I'll be playing in Smash 3ds tournament today called "Smash Carolina" so hopefully I can show what I meant.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
For me, Rosalina and Luma play more defensively and not too aggressive. I mostly stay patient and use my Star Bits and tilts most of the time to space out my opponent. I also focus on having stage control and use my Luma to pressure my opponent not only to make them feel that their options are useless, but so I can predict what they'll do (like predicting rolls for example). However, be aware that Rosalina (especially without the Luma) will have a SERIOUSLY hard time getting back to the stage if your opponent knows how to gimp her and prevent her from land back to the stage safely.

I don't I made much sense here but I'll be playing in Smash 3ds tournament today called "Smash Carolina" so hopefully I can show what I meant.
I agree with this. I'm already giving my friend fits by throwing Luma out all over the place and taking advantage of Rosalina's massive disjoints. And although I've been able to recover against him with absolutely zero issues, it's worth noting he uses Link who is not known for his offstage prowess and that's not really his preferred style to begin with.

He also nearly blew up when he saw me spamming Gravitational Pull, said it was bull**** I could just nullify every projectile ever like that, although I'm not sure he knew it does exactly nothing to the actual players.

In other words, I think Rosalina will be one of those characters that not only has a very steep learning curve, but playing against her will also involve a learning curve such that you have to figure out and respect her tricks, but once you understand what she can (and can't) do she becomes easier to handle.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Thanks guys. RIght now my problem is that I want to get Luma out on my opponents, so I shoot him out, then my opponent just jumps over him and I have to recall the Luma under pressure.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Thanks guys. RIght now my problem is that I want to get Luma out on my opponents, so I shoot him out, then my opponent just jumps over him and I have to recall the Luma under pressure.
I have not played the game, nor have I played with Rosalina. However, I've watched a lot of gameplay of her. What I've seen is that the Luma is used more for stage control and mind games than actually doing damage. Be prepared for when you send Luma out for them to jump over it and meet them with an aerial. Try to send them into your Luma and combo them.

For those that play Rosalina, does that sound like a correct interpretation?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Hey, I've got a quick question...I was practicing as Rosalina, and messing around with her aerial attacks, and I haven't managed to get any meteor smashes, at least, not any that shoot the opponent in a downwards direction? Can anyone confirm if it is/isn't possible to meteor smash with Rosi using the down aerial?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Hey, I've got a quick question...I was practicing as Rosalina, and messing around with her aerial attacks, and I haven't managed to get any meteor smashes, at least, not any that shoot the opponent in a downwards direction? Can anyone confirm if it is/isn't possible to meteor smash with Rosi using the down aerial?
Rosalina's meteor is weird. As far as I can tell, you need to space it so that you hit with the ring as it's descending from Rosalina, as opposed to trying to bash the target with her feet. I suppose you could think of it as a timing-based sweetspot rather than simply a matter of aim. The meteor itself is fairly weak in any event.

That said, I have not done any sort of real testing on this, which will almost certainly need to be done at some point.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I love playing her, even if I still can't use her to her full potential.

What are some good easy and simple tactics I can use?

Last edited:

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
One thing I like doing with her is dash attack > forward air. But it doesn't always work, does this only work on certain characters or does it depend on their DI?

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
I love playing her, even if I still can't use her to her full potential.

What are some good easy and simple tactics I can use?
If you get someone in the air, just stay below them and abuse uair/utilt to keep the juggle going. Also don't be afraid to chase someone offstage because we have a great recovery.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I love playing Rosalina & Luma, I just feel I'm kind of misplaying her because it seems like she might have so much more potential if you use Luma properly that I'm missing out on. Kind of like the potential the Ice Climber de-sync had compared to just using your second climber as a way to make your attacks hit harder.

Right now I'm just trying to stay out of my opponents range and just poke them or punish them. I'm not using Luma a lot on this, as I like to have my moves a bit more hard-hitting, plus Luma can be a decent meatshield sometimes (though I feel sorry for them using them this way).

The only times I do use Luma is to shoot my neutral B. I don't use Luma for a lot of zone control, and I find the most comfortable place to have them is the range they wander to by default. As this is where I can either bait my opponent into attack Luma, or watching them try to dodge Luma. Both of which are punishable by throwing them off the stage. After this I try to get Luma back to my side and then try to attack them off-stage with the extra Luma damage. If a reset happens I throw out my Luma again, and either punish their response to my Luma shot or let Luma return to their wandering position. Rinse and repeat.

Is this generally how you should play Rosalina & Luma? Or am I missing some obvious strategies here? I feel so weak without Luma that I generally don't like having her away from me unless I'm trying to get my opponents to approach me or I'm trying to deal with projectile spam.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
I'm the same, I feel like I'm not anywhere near realizing Rosalina's potential. I plan to play her a TON and experiment on Wii U. I want to use a GC controller so badly...

drewlynoted

Smash Cadet
I can't help but feel I'm missing something here, but does anyone know how to recover a Luma that is hit offstage?

Nothing I seem to do can stop that Luma from falling.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I can't help but feel I'm missing something here, but does anyone know how to recover a Luma that is hit offstage?

Nothing I seem to do can stop that Luma from falling.
If they're hit, no. Another reason to make sure you control center stage as Rosalina & Luma. :dr-_-:

HonorBasquiat

Smash Rookie
What are some good bread and butter combos or grab follow ups for Rosalina and Luma that work on most or all characters?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
What are some good bread and butter combos or grab follow ups for Rosalina and Luma that work on most or all characters?
I like dthrow or uthrow into fair or uair, although it seems to be character and percent dependent. But throws into aerials in general are a pretty good starting point.

Dash attack into aerials also works more often than not, but the same caveats apply. Also I'm pretty sure it can be punished on shield if you abuse it too much.

At super low percents, Luma Shot into Star Bit spam can tack on a fair bit of damage until they grow a brain and jump over Luma. Watch for that and intercept.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
At low percents, I'm able to do Dash Attack into Fair into a second Fair for about 20% damage.

UThrow into UAir are another favorite of mine and sometimes you're able to get a bit of a juggle going. UAir is so safe with right timing as Rosalina is really hard to hit from below (I've been able to beat Link and Tink Dairs with Rosa's UAir).

Yaargh!

Smash Rookie
This one wasn't in the FAQ so if it's been answered already I apologize, but...

... Say you use Gravitational Pull on a fully-charged Sheik Needle Shot. Would it pull in ALL of the needles or only pull in one and let you get hit by the rest of something?

Top Bottom