• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
No you are correct Royug Royug a perfect pivot cannot be done in shield you'd need to drop shield first.

The point I was trying to make in my initial post is that being able to drop shield and then pp u-tilt quickly is a very valuable skill to have.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
No you are correct Royug Royug a perfect pivot cannot be done in shield you'd need to drop shield first.

The point I was trying to make in my initial post is that being able to drop shield and then pp u-tilt quickly is a very valuable skill to have.
Thanks for this. I'm gonna show a little bit of my ignorance here. I know that you can cancel the shield drop frames by jumping and then you can cancel the jump animation with an up smash.

Can you do the same for tilts?

If so, having the buttons mapped in such a way (L set to jump, Cstick to tilts), could you out of shield PP and Up tilit?

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Up Smashes are Jump Cancelable but up tilts are not.

I would recommend doing tilt stick for perfect pivot tilts as doing a perfect pivot to a tilt without using the stick is much more difficult.

KingCapital

Smash Cadet
NNID
KeeganIsTopTier
Up Smashes are Jump Cancelable but up tilts are not.

I would recommend doing tilt stick for perfect pivot tilts as doing a perfect pivot to a tilt without using the stick is much more difficult.
Also, according to Dabuz, using smash stick for aerials apparently loses your momentum a bit. Not sure how true this is as I haven't tested it but he has claimed to have tested it.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
That is true Kingcapital another reason people like tilt stick is that you have more control of your aerial momentum when you use c-stick aerials.

Also one other thing that makes the transition from smash to tilt stick weird is that when you input a corner direction on the c-stick (upforward or downback or whatever) your nair comes out. It took me a little while to stop getting surprise nairs when i started using tilt stick

Royug

Smash Cadet
I know c-stick as tilts is better for aerials momentum, but it still feels very weird to me to do aerials with the c-stick. I'm used to jump with Y then do aerials with A and the directional stick. Moving my thumb from Y to the c-stick takes more time, so I feel like I loose precious when I do quick jump-aerials. I know some people jump with L ou R, but that seems even weirder and less precise.

KingCapital

Smash Cadet
NNID
KeeganIsTopTier
I know c-stick as tilts is better for aerials momentum, but it still feels very weird to me to do aerials with the c-stick. I'm used to jump with Y then do aerials with A and the directional stick. Moving my thumb from Y to the c-stick takes more time, so I feel like I loose precious when I do quick jump-aerials. I know some people jump with L ou R, but that seems even weirder and less precise.
I've thought about trying it but it would take me longer to get used to. I also believe Dabuz uses tap jump rather than L or R(I think he stated this recently in a tweet).

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
I switched from Smash to Tilt Stick like a month ago and now I'm fully transitioned and am entirely comfortable with tilt stick.

I needed to tilt stick to do certain tech with Link (as well as get perfect pivot tilts with all my characters, which IMO made a huge improvement to my game). And I'm very happy with the decision, there were tons of spaghetti moments during the first couple of weeks but its not like a crazy ordeal.

And beyond that if you try it and hate it then you can always switch back

Royug

Smash Cadet
I mean, I don't mind switching C-stick from smash attacks to tilts, I almost never use the C-stick anyway (except for perfect pivots, which I'm currently trying to implement in my play. It's just doing aerials with the C-stick that seems like a big change, and I wonder if it's worth it.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
I've been practicing some and I've played around with the jab > jab 2 > star bits towards Rosalina > d-tilt > dash grab combo, but I got a slight problem to engage it, since the opponent has to be standing between Rosalina and Luma when the two are together.

Is the only way to wait for a roll into you?

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
I've been practicing some and I've played around with the jab > jab 2 > star bits towards Rosalina > d-tilt > dash grab combo, but I got a slight problem to engage it, since the opponent has to be standing between Rosalina and Luma when the two are together.

Is the only way to wait for a roll into you?
That combo.... sucks. It's easy to escape. I recommend doing a simple jab 3 or doing jab 1 or 2 then going for grab mixups, Ike style. If you still want to do it, it's really hard to initiate it because Rosa's jab is frame 8. But you shouldn't be searching for an opportunity to do any specific combo with Rosa. It's better to just play neutral and then press positional advantages with her.

It's just doing aerials with the C-stick that seems like a big change, and I wonder if it's worth it.
Oh IT'S WORTH IT. Being able to move in any direction while doing an aerial is amazing. It's hard to explain why, but once you start you can't go back. Though it is hard to jump and C-stick aerial at the same time. I'm one of those people who jumps with a shoulder button (Very worth it BTW, it can be hard to get used to though) so I don't have trouble with frame perfect aerials. If you want to stick with face button jumps, you could try out a "claw" hand position with your right hand.

Royug

Smash Cadet
Oh IT'S WORTH IT. Being able to move in any direction while doing an aerial is amazing. It's hard to explain why, but once you start you can't go back. Though it is hard to jump and C-stick aerial at the same time. I'm one of those people who jumps with a shoulder button (Very worth it BTW, it can be hard to get used to though) so I don't have trouble with frame perfect aerials. If you want to stick with face button jumps, you could try out a "claw" hand position with your right hand.
Do you think the Z button could work well as a jump button ? I'd prefer to have a digital button for jumps instead of an analog one, feels for natural and responsive.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Do you think the Z button could work well as a jump button ? I'd prefer to have a digital button for jumps instead of an analog one, feels for natural and responsive.
I'm sure it could. What matters is that for any possible situation, a single digit doesn't have to accomplish more than one task. If you can do that, it doesn't matter what your set-up is. Using the analog stick and A-button for aerials, for example, forces a digit to perform more than one task. You can't move left or right at maximum speed while doing an U-air or you can move sideways at max speed then do a quarter circle up motion and press A, but that artificially slows down your attacks. With C-stick aerials, a single digit does one task, meaning you CAN move left or right at max speed and do an U-air at any point.

But don't discount a "claw" grip (thumb on C-stick, index and middle finger on face buttons, ring finger on right shoulder buttons, or some variation of that). I personally have never tried it, but it seems a sound, albeit uncomfortable way to play the game and for that matter, can even be considered superior to the standard grip if you could get used to it. You could also keep the face buttons for jumps.

Whatever you decide to choose, set your controls to that and go into training mode for ~30 minutes. That's really all you need to learn a brand new control scheme.

Nihabz

Smash Rookie
What are the best ways to land with this character? I find she has an extremely hard time landing after getting hit or trying to endure knock back

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I like to space a lunar landed nair or bair out of a properly timed airdodge into the ground

Saltix

Smash Lord
When Smash 4 first came out, I put probably 2.5k matches into Rosalina but then stopped playing her and played Mega Man for a little over a year now. I'm starting to go back to my roots now and I've identified my weaknesses as a player over the time, so I want to fix them this go around with Rosalina.

My main issue is optimization. I'm a very big read based player, so for you guys here who have been playing Rosalina all this time, what exactly does optimal play with this character entail?

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Sorry but what makes Rosalina high tier? What is her biggest advantage to the rest of the cast? I feel it's a dumb question but I guess I haven't fought great Rosalinas. Not saying she's bad at all though.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Saltix Saltix I made a big post on the page prior about how to improve with Rosa and it may be applicable to what you're asking as well.

divade divade she is the hardest character to approach in the game, has early kill potential with her edgeguarding and luma up-air off the top. Rosalina is high tier because she limits her opponents ability to get their gameplan started and can entirely dictate a 1v1 match by being patient and grounded. Also she has a bag of tricks that seems infinite compared to the rest of the cast. Definitely the gimmick queen.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sorry but what makes Rosalina high tier? What is her biggest advantage to the rest of the cast? I feel it's a dumb question but I guess I haven't fought great Rosalinas. Not saying she's bad at all though.
It all has to do with her versatility. With the Luma by her side, Rosalina has many different ways to mess up her opponents. And while Rosalina's defense makes it tough for slower fighters to approach her safely, she can also operate offensively. It should also be noted that her up aerial is quite capable of making KOs if you time the hitbox just right.

However, despite these pros, Rosalina does have some big weaknesses in that she needs the Luma to properly utilize her offensive game, her air speed is mediocre, and she's quite vulnerable to getting KO'd early.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Saltix Saltix I made a big post on the page prior about how to improve with Rosa and it may be applicable to what you're asking as well.

divade divade she is the hardest character to approach in the game, has early kill potential with her edgeguarding and luma up-air off the top. Rosalina is high tier because she limits her opponents ability to get their gameplan started and can entirely dictate a 1v1 match by being patient and grounded. Also she has a bag of tricks that seems infinite compared to the rest of the cast. Definitely the gimmick queen.
It all has to do with her versatility. With the Luma by her side, Rosalina has many different ways to mess up her opponents. And while Rosalina's defense makes it tough for slower fighters to approach her safely, she can also operate offensively. It should also be noted that her up aerial is quite capable of making KOs if you time the hitbox just right.

However, despite these pros, Rosalina does have some big weaknesses in that she needs the Luma to properly utilize her offensive game, her air speed is mediocre, and she's quite vulnerable to getting KO'd early.
Okay thanks, that makes sense.

Nexus Nova

Smash Rookie
I was wondering if you guys know whether Rosalina is affected by counter whenever the Luma attacks them.

If it doesn't affect her then I was thinking of using Luma to bait Bayonetta's Witch Time and all other counters including Corrin. I hate that guy...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I was wondering if you guys know whether Rosalina is affected by counter whenever the Luma attacks them.

If it doesn't affect her then I was thinking of using Luma to bait Bayonetta's Witch Time and all other counters including Corrin. I hate that guy...
The Luma does set off Counter, but the attack will not hurt Rosalina if she's not in the counterattack's path.

Nexus Nova

Smash Rookie
The Luma does set off Counter, but the attack will not hurt Rosalina if she's not in the counterattack's path.
Does that mean that the Luma should not be near Rosalina when attacking or can you position her properly to not be affected?

If it's the former then you'd have to use Luma Shot. Is it a reliable method?

Royug

Smash Cadet
Does that mean that the Luma should not be near Rosalina when attacking or can you position her properly to not be affected?

If it's the former then you'd have to use Luma Shot. Is it a reliable method?
It depends on the range of the counter-attack. I believe some counters have a range short enough so it's possible to trigger them with an attack from Luma without Rosa being hit by the counter, even though Luma is tethered to Rosa (like Marth and Lucina's counter I think). But some counters have a bigger range (like Ike, Lucario and Shulk) and Rosa will most certainly be hit by it except if, like you said, the counter was triggered by Luma Shot and Rosa is a certain distance away. I dont' know about Bayonetta's counter range.

But approaching the opponent with Luma Shot only because you fear he's gonna use his counter is really not a good approach. You need to predict the moments he's gonna use it, or bait him, then punish, like any other character would do.

Last edited:

Nexus Nova

Smash Rookie
It depends on the range of the counter-attack. I believe some counters have a range short enough so it's possible to trigger them with an attack from Luma without Rosa being hit by the counter, even though Luma is tethered so Rosa (like Marth and Lucina's counter I think). But some counters have a bigger range (like Ike, Lucario and Shulk) and Rosa will most certainly be hit by it except if, like you said, the counter was triggered by Luma Shot and Rosa is a certain distance away. I dont' know about Bayonetta's counter range.

But approaching the opponent with Luma Shot only because you fear he's gonna use his counter is really joy a good approach. You need to predict the moments he's gonna use it, or bait him, then punish, like any other character would do.
Darn, so that means I have to carefully space out Rosalina and Luma properly. I'm guessing Bayonetta's counter will be similar to Shulk where it opens a portal and anyone who's in it at the time will get hit. I'll give it a shot.

I also realised when I use Luma Shot I get punished after they shield the attack. It leaves Rosalina wide open.

Lastly, is there any moves that I should use whenever Rosalina is away/loses her Luma? I'm having trouble attacking without it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Darn, so that means I have to carefully space out Rosalina and Luma properly. I'm guessing Bayonetta's counter will be similar to Shulk where it opens a portal and anyone who's in it at the time will get hit. I'll give it a shot.

I also realised when I use Luma Shot I get punished after they shield the attack. It leaves Rosalina wide open.
You must also remember that Luma Shot "can" be reflected, so you'd be making a huge mistake against anyone who has a reflecting move.

Nexus Nova

Smash Rookie
You must also remember that Luma Shot "can" be reflected, so you'd be making a huge mistake against anyone who has a reflecting move.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

I've found out that when Luma strikes Bayonetta while she's countering, she activates a portal similar to Shulk. Those who are in the portal will be affected especially the one who struck her. However, if Rosalina didn't hit Bayonetta but the Luma did instead then she still has a chance to escape by dodging.

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
How does Rosalina deal with sword characters? I find it hard to deal with their disjoints, because of how safely it pokes Luma, I find their disjoints hard to deal with in the neutral, because I get scared as I think they outrange Rosa, I feel like I can't jab space or send luma out because they're able to safely poke or kill Luma very easily. This is particularly in the case of Ike, Shulk, Cloud, Marth and Especially Corrin. Any ideas? (Sorry if this is a bad question)

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
GHOST4700 GHOST4700
Why is Luma alive against Corin?

Regardless, Bair works well but in general it's more of a test is patience. Practice shielding as you slowly advance with walks or crawls. If the other player does something unsafe you could dash grab because Rosa has an amazing dash grab.
SHAD is good as an occasional mixup.

In general, this is match up dependant so it's best to ask this on the specific character's discussion thread.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
what is SHAD?

Also rosa got nerfed from 78>77, how much does 1 unit of weight affect a character?

Royug

Smash Cadet
Someone did a test, I don't remember who, but now Rosa dies 1 or 2 % sooner vertically, and same thing horizontally.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ah, thanks for the list. It still perplexes me that she is one the of the lightest in smash, yet considered heavy in Mario Kart.
On a side note, Yoshi is treated as a heavyweight fighter in Smash Bros., but his appearance just isn't tall or bulky enough to be categorized as a heavyweight in any Mario Kart installment; Yoshi rivals Luigi's height at best.

Top Bottom