• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

honeclawshonedge

Smash Rookie
NNID
tom.braithwaite
I've been playing Rosalina for a long time but there's always been one thing I've never understood, and that's their combined dair. I seem to be able to kill people dead-center stage at like 100% with a what seems to be a sweet spot (???) with little rage, and it's confusing me. Occasionally I'll be able to hit both Rosalina and Luma's dair together to make a clicking sound, similar to that of the spike sound effect, but then my opponent is sent completely horizontally at like 5733646794 miles an hour to their death. I wouldn't think Luma's dair alone has enough KBG to kill from the center? What happens here, does the Luma amplify the halo's knockback or something? I love this character but she confuses me....

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Dair really is super weird and unreliable. Since it's brought up, why does Luma's Dair sometimes send sideways and sometimes upwards? It messes up my edgeguards and I've never been able to figure out why it happens.

Squanchy

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheSmithsAreDead
3DS FC
4656-8236-9363
Hello everyone. I find that I struggle most against Corrins. Any advice as to how Rosalina should approach him/her?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I play a lot of Corrin myself so I have some experience and insight.

Approaching with Lunar Landing and short hop aerials is good since it can keep you slightly above him, out of range of Side B. Pivot Extended Luma B-Air is also a great way to outrange him.

His Neutral B is a non-issue as long as you aren't right next to him for the bite. You can use Gravitational Pull on it without really worrying about being punished since the end lag on it is long.

Star Bits can stop him when he is coming at you with the kick from his Side B.

Those are just a few quick tips, I don't have much time right now.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I never thought of stopping the kick with star bits. I'll definitely try that next time I fight a Corrin.

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
This may sound like a dumb question, but how do Rosa's like Falln and abadango get EXTREMELY early kills with her, like how is she able to get EXTREMELY early kills?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This may sound like a dumb question, but how do Rosa's like Falln and abadango get EXTREMELY early kills with her, like how is she able to get EXTREMELY early kills?
U-Air juggling (Rosalina's is the main KO move but Luma's can prevent Rosalina's from staling if you hit with that), edge-guarding/gimping, clever positioning of Luma in relation to Rosalina for long range combos, and just knowing some combos and being good with Smash Attacks in general.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
How do you deal with grab/dash attack spammers?

Seriously, when I have Luma right next to me, and try to throw out jabs, down tilt or star bits, it doesn't always work. These kinds of players for some reason, like to act like Luma isn't there, show no fear, and just go for it. I try to make it unsafe for these players to do that, but it doesn't always work. I would think since I am using Rosalina, they shouldn't want to be that close?

I know for some characters, dash attack is one of the best ways to get rid of Luma, especially near the edge of a stage, but sometimes they leave themselves open when they miss or even when they do manage to get Luma.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
What you can do is never commit your Luma in Dash attack range. If Luma gets hit but Rosa does not try to punish them to disincentivize the option of rushing into Luma.
If Dash Attack is killing your Luma near the edge of the stage then simply (its not that simple though in match) try and be center stage more.

Also another way to do this would be to tuck Luma behind you. You can do this by turning around and moving (you can crawl backwards which is useful) or By Landing with a Lunar Landing Bair (to put luma behind you for a little bit)

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
Just going to add onto this that Luma dair kills incredibly early for how easy it is to connect on the ledge, either through catching low recoveries by dropping down with Rosalina and hitting with Luma dair, or through detatching Luma and hitting them with dair as they come back to the stage.

Urameshi_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ban00dle
is there a discord for us? i'd really appreciate an invite if so~

Easzy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Easzy1
3DS FC
0361-8666-7175
Do you guys think her weight-nerf is actually kinda like a buff for her? Dunno if its placebo but since the newest patch I do have more sucess getting out of mk's uair to upb combo and other things like zss' upb (ik that it got nerfed). Correct me if I am wrong but I think that this could actually be a thing.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Do you guys think her weight-nerf is actually kinda like a buff for her? Dunno if its placebo but since the newest patch I do have more sucess getting out of mk's uair to upb combo and other things like zss' upb (ik that it got nerfed). Correct me if I am wrong but I think that this could actually be a thing.
You're right, I've felt this too.

Her weight reduction is so miniscule, which means it means more for DI than it does for how early she gets KO'd.

You shouldn't be getting KO'd any earlier than before really since the weight reduction is so minimal, if anything you should be getting KO'd later since the weight reduction makes it easier to DI, especially out of combos.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
So let's talk labbing. What can be improved upon with Rosalina? What don't we know about her? What has potential? What needs to be tested?

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
It's hard to talk about labbing because labbing is discovering something new for yourself. Questions like "What don't we know about her" are really difficult because, well, we don't know what we don't know haha. Obviously one of our biggest assets is the "two in one" character, so figuring out new ways to utilize this aspect is probably the area where labbing would help the most. I think most of our non-detatched options have been discovered at this point.

MadSlays

Smash Rookie
NNID
MadSlayz
3DS FC
1349-8227-6136
Alright so i've made up my mind that my main in this game is gonna be RosaLuma, but who else should I work on? Ideally im trying to find characters that can cover her bad matchups, fits a similar but not identical playstyle (I can handle aggressive characters) and characters that would help me going into a tournament, Thanks!~

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
I'd just solo main Rosalina. Dabuz has pretty much proven her losing MUs are doable.

If you really want a secondary go Sheik, deals with Cloud / MK / ZSS / Pikachu / everyone lol.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
When reading Luma's frame data on the Kurogane Hammer page, is there a delay to account for, like how Nana's attacks on Ice Climbers come out six frames after Popo's?

Also, do Luma's attacks have normal shieldstun?

Easzy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Easzy1
3DS FC
0361-8666-7175
I think her LL fair is easier to do in 1.1.5 so I think the autocancel window increased a little bit. I may be wrong but can someone test this? It kinda feels so easy now

Royug

Smash Cadet
Depends how she's developed, if new strats or AT are found for her. Right now I think Sheik is still better.

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
I think her LL fair is easier to do in 1.1.5 so I think the autocancel window increased a little bit. I may be wrong but can someone test this? It kinda feels so easy now
This might just be you getting better at it :) The full patch notes will come soon though, although I doubt they'd give a buff to something like LL.

Can rosalina potentially be the best character in the game now?
Some top players are saying that she may be, although Sheik, Bayonetta, and even ZSS are also contenders.

Nexus Nova

Smash Rookie
Do you guys know any good tactics that Rosalina can use against Peach?

I don't know why but my Luma tends to go flying after it gets hit with a f-smash. Putting a jab out there doesn't help either because of that. Also, Peach's f-air is also a bad attack for Rosa. Even if she defends against it, the Luma will take it.

It looks like my problem is how to get into attack with Rosa while not losing the Luma. I swear she's almost like another Cloud...

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Do you guys know any good tactics that Rosalina can use against Peach?

I don't know why but my Luma tends to go flying after it gets hit with a f-smash. Putting a jab out there doesn't help either because of that. Also, Peach's f-air is also a bad attack for Rosa. Even if she defends against it, the Luma will take it.

It looks like my problem is how to get into attack with Rosa while not losing the Luma. I swear she's almost like another Cloud...
Wall her out with Bairs an space as much as you can in general to avoid you being in her CQC range

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Bair is surprisingly effective for me against Peach players who float alot. I struggle against Peach somewhat, so I've been doing just a bit of work finding out how to play the MU. I don't use bair too much in alot of MU's for some reason

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Is Rosalina's crown considered a hurtbox?

Also there's no way she's the best character.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Honestly though I find it interesting that Rosalina alone is extremely "meh" and Luma alone is an utter piece of trash, but together they're absolutely amazing. Just goes to show how teammates provide multiplicative bonuses, not additive ones.
You are correct. Luma is the best character.

Top Bottom