• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post
what kill eariler her third jab or utilt. also what is better for combos after luma jab 1 2, utilt or jab 3, jab 3 hits at 80 degrees and utilt hits at 90, so easier for follow ups, not sure which to do.
and also when does her 2nd side of dsmash kill, with and without luma. i mean by 2nd is her 2nd hit of dsmash

If Rosalina is stuck in a jab lock, can Luma act while Rosa is getting up? Trying to do turnip locks with Peach, and this might screw me up dearly.
no take advantage of this to add damage on luma or separate her, you wont have as much time if you punish rosa, but you still can

What is Rosalina's neutral game and her neutral options?
watch falln.

Last edited by a moderator:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
A alexthepony what do you mean by that? Like watch falln play or does falln have a video on her neutral game?
Falln has some videos where he shows a match with his mental process in text during the match. The best one I think is him vs mr. Concon(it's prepatch luigi, but w/e). Most of these videos however are not terribly informative.

I would actually suggest checking out AceStarThe3rd's guide on Rosalina. Near the end he talks about neutral in a similar fashion to Falln, but much more informative.

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
so for rosa up b i dont understand how it works, like how do you prevent a b reverse, how big is the window for choosing to go up straight, forward, or diagnol?
whats the best way to go straight up consistently ever time?
I am just confused about this move, please help, i would appreciate it.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
so for rosa up b i dont understand how it works, like how do you prevent a b reverse, how big is the window for choosing to go up straight, forward, or diagnol?
whats the best way to go straight up consistently ever time?
I am just confused about this move, please help, i would appreciate it.
Honestly, I think they jacked up how the move should operate. In order to go straight up, you don't hold straight up, which should be how it works.

So when you press up B, in order to reverse it, you must press the opposite way Rosa is facing within like 2-3 frames.

So when you press up B, in order to go straight up, you must press the opposite way Rosa is facing, AFTER waiting 2-3 frames.

So for example Rosalina is facing right, to go straight up you would do the following:

Press Up + B, wait a couple of Frames, then press the control stick Left.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
You're also able to B-reverse and then change the angle from the B-reverse, allowing a ton of different angles. However it is ridiculously difficult to do.

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I think they jacked up how the move should operate. In order to go straight up, you don't hold straight up, which should be how it works.

So when you press up B, in order to reverse it, you must press the opposite way Rosa is facing within like 2-3 frames.

So when you press up B, in order to go straight up, you must press the opposite way Rosa is facing, AFTER waiting 2-3 frames.

So for example Rosalina is facing right, to go straight up you would do the following:

Press Up + B, wait a couple of Frames, then press the control stick Left.
do you know how big the window is after the b reverse

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
do you know how big the window is after the b reverse
I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean, how big the window (number of Frames) after the 2-3 frames for the B Reversal, to still go straight up?

I don't know the exact number of frames, but up until the moment she takes off. The moment she takes off, I don't believe you can control it anymore.

Can anyone else verify this?

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Okay, so I have questions. Is Rosalina highly vulnerable in the air? Her Fair/Nair hitboxes are huge and it seems very hard to punish her.

Also, how easy do you feel she gets edgeguarded? Her floatiness, aerial mobility, and her "vanishing" airdodge makes it seem really hard to get her properly.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
how do you win with Rosalina?
First, when the game came out, people had no idea how to play against her, so she got the reputation of being an easy win and people hated playing against her. So it was thought she was an easy character to play with.

Now that the game had been out and people have learned how to play against her, her Meta has been developed, and still is.

I said all of that to say this: She is not an easy character to play, and since people now know how to play against her, she's requires more time to practice with.

In order to win, practice, practice, practice. She does best killing off the top of the screen with Up Smash and Up Air. Choose stages with low ceilings, unless playing against characters like Meta Knight or ZSS.
Okay, so I have questions. Is Rosalina highly vulnerable in the air? Her Fair/Nair hitboxes are huge and it seems very hard to punish her.
Rosalina is formidable in the air, however she has a hard time landing because of her low air speed. Depending on your character, it may be better to control the stage and try to prevent her from landing.

Also, how easy do you feel she gets edgeguarded? Her floatiness, aerial mobility, and her "vanishing" airdodge makes it seem really hard to get her properly.
This is two fold. Because she has no hitbox on her Up B, it gives characters an easier time edgeguarding her.

However, her Up B is fast, her air speed is slow and she has great aerials. This gives her a great amount of mix ups.

She can time her Up B almost any time, which means she can out stall any premature attempts to edge guard or she can use it immediately and it'll be hard to react to.

Your best bet is to keep track of her second jump. If she has it, you'll have to make a hard read to punish. If she doesn't, then she can't stall as long and loses some options which makes her easier to edge guard.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I have blasted Eldin with Eruption and used a Dair to spike Neos at low percent. However, Gadiel Vastar is really good at avoiding the ledge trump buffering, and that in turn makes it very hard for me to punish him. If you watch Ryo and Ryuga, we generally tend to hang at the ledge and either ledge trump Bair or chase the opponent when they come up. But if they're aggressive coming up on stage (jump + attack, ledge attack which beats our short-hops), it's detrimental for us.

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
well to go straight up with up b my method is pressing up then immediately quarter-circling to the side rosa's not facing

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IvuBeRtbgw
uploaded a highlightvideo ffom a wifimatch, anyone got any good ideas for setting up like the final kill in that 45s video?
I would think you could Luma shot to that position, then continue to perform aerials to keep Luma in place, threaten with Rosalina from above and use starbits when they get up from the ledge.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
is up throw into rapid jabs at 0 percent actually a guaranteed combo on a lot of heavy`s/fast fallers? Most pros say to do that every single time because you get the most damage off of it, but i notice many characters can jump out of it after the up throw, am i not jabbing fast enough or something?

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
is up throw into rapid jabs at 0 percent actually a guaranteed combo on a lot of heavy`s/fast fallers? Most pros say to do that every single time because you get the most damage off of it, but i notice many characters can jump out of it after the up throw, am i not jabbing fast enough or something?
I know that it works on Fox, DDD, and Captain Falcon very well. It should also work well on Greninja, but he MIGHT be able to side-b to get out. It works on ZSS at 0% and she could often escape if you have rage before the jabs. I don't know about Sheik but it should work at 0%. Falco suffers from this too, but only from about 0-10%. I have gotten it a few times on Ganondorf, but I don't know if it's guaranteed.

Keep in mind that these are all estimations. I have not formally tested it or anything like that.

Aluwolf

Smash Rookie
The person I play smash against most mains Ganondorf and has put so much practice into him he can play him extremely well. I have recently picked up Rosalina and am having a nightmare trying to keep him from getting close and absolutely destroying me. The biggest problem is he can properly trade and cancel out anything luma throws as the best case scenario for me with me getting a few light damage hits off, and the worst cause is luma gets smashed off the stage and I'm left to have to deal with ganondorf until he respawns.

I can get ten or so good hits off and have it turned on me in a few seconds, it seems like a down hill battle which is really confusing because it should be that Rosalina beats Ganon, his Ganon is obviously better because he has put hundreds of hours alone practicing Ganon.

I tried to find some matchups, but funnily enough all the ones I found were of Ganondorf absolutely dumping on Rosalina. So any advice?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Aluwolf Aluwolf : You'll have to get more used to how Rosalina operates if you're struggling to beat Ganondorf with her. The main thing to keep in mind is that Ganondorf doesn't exactly have any safe approaches, so you can try to use that to your advantage.

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
Advice on dealing with projectiles because at times I get overwhelmed with them because they just throw more at me, or rushdowned when I gp it or sheild it. I get really frustrated... also any advice on jab cancelling in general and this there an aesthetic difference between jab cancel and a non jab cancel?

Aluwolf

Smash Rookie
Aluwolf Aluwolf : You'll have to get more used to how Rosalina operates if you're struggling to beat Ganondorf with her. The main thing to keep in mind is that Ganondorf doesn't exactly have any safe approaches, so you can try to use that to your advantage.
Yeah, I'm really just new to playing her and moving over to her from Wario. The thing that bugs me is Ganon is supposed to be extremely favorable against Wario, supposedly the best matchup a Ganondorf can have, but I go about 50-50 against his ganondorf with Wario with me winning slightly more.

So I'm winning with one of Warios supposedly worst matchups but getting absolutely demolished with one of Rosalinas best. And It's really just ganondorf, I can play against ZSS and other high tiers just fine.

As for not having safe approach, he doesn't, but luma doesn't deal much damage and ganondorf can get that 50% death limit luma has with about two good hits. Trading a bit of damage on ganondorf to lose luma doesn't seem reasonable because ganondorf has a field day when lumas down.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Aluwolf Aluwolf : While most of the Luma's attacks may deal less damage than Rosalina's attacks, some of those attacks have good knockback that shouldn't be underestimated. Also, by keeping the Luma close, you can use its Star Bits to make things tougher for Ganondorf.

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
What makes Rosalina's defensive so good? Because I have these instances where I am overwhelmed by projectiles, particularly pikachu's thunder jolt, mario's fireballs and yoshi's eggs. And I end up approaching and get punished. Or I get rushed down and alot of damage is put on me. Please help...

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Aluwolf Aluwolf Just mash spaced Jab1, DTilt, FTilt, Bair, Nair, Side B and Lunar Landed N/Bair, feel free to mix-up this with throwing Luma near him, his only way of takim him out without being punished is frame cancelling or respacing himself and then DTilt, FTilt, that are safe only by a certain distance from Rosalina.
Either Jab3>Uair or Jab1>Nair are fine for netting kills, her Uair beats everything from him(but don't go frenzy with that or he just airdodges through it and splats you to the blast line with his own Uair or Bair, if you aren't feeling to do that just keep him off the ground with SH Uairs) and she can just hover over the ledge and Bair his Side B or Dair his Side B, if he is far from the ledge you can as well place the multijab ledge trap.
No particular stuff about throw-combos outside of the usual one,so feel free to follow-up Jab1 with a grab.
As Ganon, I need to hard read literally everything in neutral in order to defeat her zone.
GHOST4700 GHOST4700 As a rule of thumb, it's because a good chunk of her arsenal beats the opponent, namely her jab1, wich has as well low cooldown, allowing for several mix-ups and combos. That same jab beats both tunder jolt and fireball, you need Uair for Yoshi's eggs, and this same Uair is the main tool against air approaches.

Last edited:

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
MezzoMe MezzoMe soo... all I have to do is is just throw out an up air, jab, or power shield them then punish the ending lag... Thank you. Also sorry for ANOTHER follow up question, but how does rosalina negate the projectile game of pac man and villager?

Last edited:

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
GHOST4700 GHOST4700 Most of the time her most basic form of gameplan revolves around spacing carefully and safely, doing mix-ups in order to pass from neutral to advantaged state in wich she excels, you don't necessarily need for the opponent to throw out an error, as long as you can outprioritize or outspace the attack itself or youor mix-ups are successful.
For what concerns the general rule about projectiles, you should just gravitational pull them if the opponent is too far to punish them, this is especially true for the characters with opptions to close space, especially Villager, whose DA is a projectile itself.
Most of the time you can crouch under several projectiles, most notably Villager's slingshot in several instances, also from this positions, even if you aren't able to dodge the projectile, almost any projectile that doesn't have a low hitbox dodges Luma, letting you powershield the projectile without hurting him.
You can as well give your back to the projectile in order not hurt Luma when powershielding, that is, or have it untethered of course.
Depending on the match-up and current footsies, you can jump above the projectile.
Particularly for Pac-Man's hydrant, Luma's Uair clashes with him, while Rosalina's Uair is trascendent, wich means that it's still going to hit Pac-Man if close enough, but you're going to get hit whenever Luma's Uair doesn't hit it.
Finally, Villager's side B doesn't have an hitbox until he actually starts moving, making it unsafe on close distances.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
So after entering my 1st tournament I feel a lot more motivated to hit training mode.

Rosalina specific stuff I am probably going to do every other session. (which i would like to be every day but this whole adulthood thing sucks sometimes.)

First on the list seems to be her recovery... where some advanced stick work is needed to get what many other characters get for free... and lunar landing.

What else should be on my early to learn list?

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, can somebody give me tips on how to deal with a good Mario? Theres nobody in my area that uses him which usually results in me getting my face stomped when I find a good one, and it makes me feel kind of bad since rosa is said to have the advantage in that matchup.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Hey guys, can somebody give me tips on how to deal with a good Mario? Theres nobody in my area that uses him which usually results in me getting my face stomped when I find a good one, and it makes me feel kind of bad since rosa is said to have the advantage in that matchup.
In Rosa-Luma, doing standard attacks on Mario can keep him at bay. You should play defensive when you are in solo-Rosa state and Rosalina & Luma state.Beware of Mario's Up Smash and " The Dunk" (F air).

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
If you can play desynched it helps a lot on the MU it takes away back throw killing luma and it helps in your zoning game. Mario wants to get it so you gotta make sure to keep him out.

When you're recovering be wary of his dash attack it has a lot of active frames and it tends to clip hwr recovery. When you recover you probably are going to want to recover straight up. This lets you avoid cape and flood shenanigans.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Sense the most recent patch who are the best Rosaluma players to watch to learn stuff? I will never be one of them... but I think I need to do a bit more studying of them.

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
Any tips on jab spacing? Because in many scenarios whenever I try to use it the opponent gets in on me or just camps with projectiles and tethers. Which results me in trying to space with her aerials, use luma shot to pressure with luma or approach which does work but is really inconsistent. Especially in the cases of ZSS, Yoshi, Tink, Pac man and villager.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Sense the most recent patch who are the best Rosaluma players to watch to learn stuff? I will never be one of them... but I think I need to do a bit more studying of them.
Dabuz Rayquaza Falln Xaltis snakeee Abadango

Any tips on jab spacing? Because in many scenarios whenever I try to use it the opponent gets in on me or just camps with projectiles and tethers. Which results me in trying to space with her aerials, use luma shot to pressure with luma or approach which does work but is really inconsistent. Especially in the cases of ZSS, Yoshi, Tink, Pac man and villager.
You shouldn't try to jab VS them. If they're breaking your zoning switch your patterns. Use more gravitational pull and some dash attacks to get under their projectiles. Nair and bair are also good for spacing.

Top Bottom