• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
When you use both characters' multijabs to cover ledge options, how would you describe Luma's optimal positioning? Just close enough to the ledge to cover ledge jump, or further to the point he's offstage? If there's a visual/video example out there, that would certainly help.

Last edited:

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
The Grab Release to Upsmash is never true and can be safely airdodged out of. I think you can get a grab release to up-air due to it being much faster and that isn't airdodge-able out of. However luma up-air at the stage level isn't too threatening a kill move.

Regardless of it being untrue this still works at the highest of the highest level though (Dabuz at Genesis) so... don't dismiss its uses completely.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
. However luma up-air at the stage level isn't too threatening a kill move.
It actually is. If the opponent is at 80-ish%, you can do fullhop with Rosalina and while rising, use Uair. Luma will hit with his Uair, then you could double jump with Rosalina and hit the opponent with her Uair. This is a true kill confirm.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
I see the Luma up-air to weak up-air to strong up-air working
It is very %-specific though, character by character when it true combos so I'd be cautious doing it unless you are confident in your percent knowledge.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
I see the Luma up-air to weak up-air to strong up-air working
It is very %-specific though, character by character when it true combos so I'd be cautious doing it unless you are confident in your percent knowledge.
It's not that. It's just Luma Uair to Strong Rosa Uair. 2 hits. I don't know what the percents are but it's not hard to do. And even if you miss, it's still a good positional advantage. It is difficult to set up though.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Are there any resources (videos or posts) regarding teeter canceled moves by Rosalina?
Teeter canceling being the fact that when Rosa is right by a ledge and goes into the "woah i'm gonna fall" animation Luma actually moves in towards the stage. If you turnaround or perfect pivot and perform a move while teetering Luma will actually be much further away from Rosa than usual.

I've been doing some experimenting and on Battlefield and Dream Land there are some really interesting uses for teeter canceled stuff to cover platforms above you. And just generally being able to play in and out of teeter animation (which is an unusual and daunting prospect on its own) will enable you to really mix up your ranges and generally be a Luma magician.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
When you use both characters' multijabs to cover ledge options, how would you describe Luma's optimal positioning? Just close enough to the ledge to cover ledge jump, or further to the point he's offstage? If there's a visual/video example out there, that would certainly help.

Generally its around the space where if you go luma jab 1,2,3 and then do rapid jabs, the rapid jab is almost right on top of the ledge or just before it. This will cover a lot of options, roll, jump(if you start the jabs while crouched which you probably should cuz it lowers luma height) normal getup, ledge attack

Flqn

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I'm learning Rosa atm and I've encountered a tech that I cannot find out how to do. On this video (1:16), Dabuz moves the Luma while hes in grab. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks!

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
Are there any good secondaries for Rosalina?
MK, Cloud, and Pikachu are some MUs you'd want to cover with a secondary. Who you choose it up to you, but keep those characters in mind when choosing one.

Hello everyone, I'm learning Rosa atm and I've encountered a tech that I cannot find out how to do. On this video (1:16), Dabuz moves the Luma while hes in grab. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks!
In the clip, Luma has been previously detatched, and moved back into its detach position after recovering from hitstun. Dabuz did not move Luma outside of the initial detach.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Heya, rosa mains! Could someone please explain how to land the spike hitbox of her dair? Also, is it possible when luma is right beside you? Thanks!

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Heya, rosa mains! Could someone please explain how to land the spike hitbox of her dair? Also, is it possible when luma is right beside you? Thanks!
Her Dair starts frame 17. You have to hit with frames 18-22 of the move. It's not a very powerful spike and is a bit tough to hit. You can spike someone if Luma is there as long as Luma's Dair doesn't connect.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There are four hitboxes total for Rosalina's down aerial. You need to hit with the second hitbox to get the meteor smash property, but it's not all that powerful though. In fact, having the Luma with Rosalina can make the down aerial more effective on offense, since the Luma's down aerial offers better knockback whenever it connects.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Since we're talking about Dair, how in the world does Luma's work? It sometimes launches forwards, sometimes upwards, sometimes backwards. It's so unpredictable.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Since we're talking about Dair, how in the world does Luma's work? It sometimes launches forwards, sometimes upwards, sometimes backwards. It's so unpredictable.
The Luma's down aerial typically offers horizontal knockback, but Rosalina's down aerial can end up having higher knockback priority than the Luma's down aerial at the higher damage percentages, assuming that you time Rosalina's down aerial just right.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Here's another question: Is it possible to control which direction luma is facing when she's "detached" from :rosalina:? It would really help make grab release up-smashes easier. Thanks again!

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Here's another question: Is it possible to control which direction luma is facing when she's "detached" from :rosalina:? It would really help make grab release up-smashes easier. Thanks again!
You can move Rosalina in whichever direction you want the Luma to go, but it takes some practice to get it right.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
The distance between Rosa and Luma makes Luma want to go one direction or the other, so its basicly just that, and a bit of wait.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Could someone explain to me what throws you should be using at what percentages? I feel like I'm constantly doing incorrect ones. I'm not even sure what I should be doing at 0% - it seems like upthrow, dthrow, and backthrow all combo into moves depending on weight. Is there a guide I could look at explaining her throws?

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Could someone explain to me what throws you should be using at what percentages? I feel like I'm constantly doing incorrect ones. I'm not even sure what I should be doing at 0% - it seems like upthrow, dthrow, and backthrow all combo into moves depending on weight. Is there a guide I could look at explaining her throws?
At low % with Luma alive: U-throw -> U-tilt
At low % without Luma: F-throw -> dash attack
At mid % with Luma: U-throw -> Uair OR F-throw/B-throw offstage to set up edgeguards
At mid % without Luma: B-throw/ F-throw offstage to stall into Luma comes back, OR U-throw -> Uair
At high % with Luma: D-throw -> Uair (never guaranteed at high % as far as I know), OR F-throw/ B-throw offstage to set up edgeguards.
At high % without Luma: See above. It may be preferable to throw the opponent offstage to stall until Luma comes back, however.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
At low % with Luma alive: U-throw -> U-tilt
At low % without Luma: F-throw -> dash attack
At mid % with Luma: U-throw -> Uair OR F-throw/B-throw offstage to set up edgeguards
At mid % without Luma: B-throw/ F-throw offstage to stall into Luma comes back, OR U-throw -> Uair
At high % with Luma: D-throw -> Uair (never guaranteed at high % as far as I know), OR F-throw/ B-throw offstage to set up edgeguards.
At high % without Luma: See above. It may be preferable to throw the opponent offstage to stall until Luma comes back, however.
That's some vague information. Characters are either light, medium or heavyweight in the Smash universe. It depends mainly on what for you're fighting against when playing as Rosalina.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Dthrow-uair is a true combo at a low percentages on most of the cast. On the other hand, backthrow-fair is also a true combo on most of the cast a very low/zero percentages. Do you guys recommend one over the other?

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
After another day of labbing, it seems like

0%: Downthrow-upair deals 23%
10-15% (meaning you can't get it if you've already done a throw combo): upthrow-uptilt deals 11%
30-50%: upthrow-upair deals 21%

Downthrow stops true-comboing into upair around 25% on most of the cast.

Backthrow-fair deals 18% at zero and is harder to land, it's suboptimal. If you're near the ledge and you bthrow at low (20-ish) percentages, you can use it as a DI mix up because if they DI in then fair is guaranteed on most of the cast.

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Question: What is it about Meta Knight, that makes the Matchup hard for Rosalina?
Small size, and some of his attacks can "easily" get rid of the Luma as well.
It's not exactly this. Sure he can easily get rid of Luma, but the main thing is that Rosalina's physics make her perfect to Meta Knight's combos. She still dominates in neutral, but a little slip-up and she's eating a lot of damage. The damage taken is lowered if you camp by the ledge until you take enough damage to start escaping the combos, but it's still a bad matchup.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
It's not exactly this. Sure he can easily get rid of Luma, but the main thing is that Rosalina's physics make her perfect to Meta Knight's combos. She still dominates in neutral, but a little slip-up and she's eating a lot of damage. The damage taken is lowered if you camp by the ledge until you take enough damage to start escaping the combos, but it's still a bad matchup.
Not to mention her size compared to MK.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I think the reason why Rosalina has certain unfavorable match-ups is mostly due to her attributes, being that she's the fourth lightest character in the game, and also one of the largest, as well, behind only Bowser and Ganondorf. This, however, could be also interpreted as an advantage for her, since it means her hitboxes are also huge, and can reach farther than most characters smaller than her.

I mean, if I were Rosalina, I would certainly try to find a way to get around my clear disadvantages by using them against the opponent, would I not? Due to my size, I would certainly use it to my own advantage, since my attacks reach, again, longer.

Last edited:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Can anyone recommend ledge options to me? Other than ledge-release up-air, I don't really know how to mix it up when recovering. Are there any AT ledge options I should know about? I've begun practicing lagless ledge getups too.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Can anyone recommend ledge options to me? Other than ledge-release up-air, I don't really know how to mix it up when recovering. Are there any AT ledge options I should know about? I've begun practicing lagless ledge getups too.
Use Side-B while jumping.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Don't do this. Dair is better since it protects Rosa.
****, really?
I'm so sorry, man. I gave you some bad info.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Side-b still has use. It hits further horizontally than Luma's Dair, but it's much riskier. Rosalina isn't protected at all from underneath and starbits are actually -5 on hit, so you definitely don't have frame advantage, even if you hit. In situations where you feel like using starbits, it's generally better to just use a standard ledge getup.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Side-b still has use. It hits further horizontally than Luma's Dair, but it's much riskier. Rosalina isn't protected at all from underneath and starbits are actually -5 on hit, so you definitely don't have frame advantage, even if you hit. In situations where you feel like using starbits, it's generally better to just use a standard ledge getup.
Maybe on lighter characters, then.

Top Bottom