• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Well yes, but not if you want to do more damage.
exactly
grab release upsmash much. however i have seen case with the new mashing technique where someones been grabbed and the wario has mashed out so fast that they got a ground release (which isnt punishable at all) even without the opponent pummeling

TeeVee

Smash Lord
exactly
grab release upsmash much. however i have seen case with the new mashing technique where someones been grabbed and the wario has mashed out so fast that they got a ground release (which isnt punishable at all) even without the opponent pummeling
rob doesnt air release wario if the wario doesnt mash...ever. same thing with mk vs fox, if mk doesnt press anything when he gets grabbed he gets ground released.

if we DID get the air release - up smash guaranteed, this matchup would be in our favor. unfortunately, any decent - good wario is going to know they can be ground released and yea...it sucks :/

stingers

Smash Obsessed
its guaranteed on some places in brinstar...which helps a lot on that stage so dont ban it =] its not really that bad.

(and yea its guaranteed on some places on lots of cps but I just mentioned brinstar cuz warios like to go there)

also ummmm in that m2k vs. ally ROB video ally grab release dash attacked mk. does anyone know if thats guaranteed if they air release...?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
its honestly not even a bad stage for ROB lol I think his worst is probably picto cuz he can't recover from underneath and he can't move out of the way from transformations that well cuz he's fat and slow.

though maybe PS2 is because I've literally never played a serious competitive match there in my life...why is it legal for pound 5 again -,-

but in general ROB doesn't really have bad stages. lava bouncing on brinstar is not a problem really...it can even be helpful. just don't spam gyros offstage stupidly.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
o i didnt even think of brinstar since i always ban it vs wario lol

always bring snake to brinstar btw if they dont ban it....just saying

stingers

Smash Obsessed
guhhh
if a wario is going to take u to brinstar....u can play gayer. for example brinstar makes it so you can get off the ledge 100% of the time unharmed. wario can't do that against us =D

if u break the bubbles in the middle with a gyro (just shoot one in the middle and it'll bounce and break them all) then it makes the stage a lot wider and u can camp really well from either side (left is better since u have more room to run away). this hurts wario's camping too because he has to commit a lot more if he wants to jump from platform to platform and we can punish it =D

we do die earlier if we get hit by farts at low% and stuff which sucks but we also get guaranteed kills off of simple things like pivot grabbing wario on a lot of spots on this stage cuz its so bumpy. so it's not a bad trade off really.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
You should research PS2, lots of gay things happen on that stage.

I actually love picto, but not in most MU's. I've considered CPing it against snake though. Definitely one of my top 3 ROB ditto CPs though, I know a lot about picto.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yea im gonna try and play some friendlies with it this weekend if I go the tourney. I need to since all I know about it is its ******** lol

stingers

Smash Obsessed
haha sneaky i will steal that thanks =D

(illmatic i see u lurking here, gtfo u peach playing demon spawn)

someone teach me how to beat peach please...LOL i cant do it on wifi and prolly not irl either =[ that ***** is hard

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I just lost to nicole at SiiS4 (i got a game though), she out zoned the **** out of me. But I've always capitalized on her pulling bombs though rofl.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
haha I need to play nicole. best peach AND lives in the region thats saturated with ROBs...should learn the MU sooner or later

Zwarm

Smash Hero
also ummmm in that m2k vs. ally ROB video ally grab release dash attacked mk. does anyone know if thats guaranteed if they air release...?
I noticed that too when I was watching the set. It might not be guaranteed, but MK's only option might be SL, which if baited, can put him in a bad spot, where DA is a bad move and it's not a huge deal to get hit by it out of GR.

That's what I think at least, it might be legit, I should've asked Ally after the set, but I was ready to just leave at that point.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
PS2 is a legit stage, it's a starter around here. Nothing wrong with the stage, it's far better than **** like FD, learn it and beat everyone who hasn't player seriously there :D

Inb4BPC

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What are you a scrub? Can't you play on possibly the most neutral stages in the game for game1? Why would you need to go to stages live SV against MK or something else ******** instead?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
ugh ps2 is not neutral, people that think that are bad at this game (see: BPC getting dead last at his first tournament)

TeeVee

Smash Lord
take anyone without a projectile to pictochat. you will time them out. you dont need the ledge.

lazer/gyro camp until the other person gets close, once they do fly around at the top of the stage to stall until the transformation happens. if it happens to be a wall transformation (where it doesnt actually deal damage just makes an obstacle like the whale transformation) camp one side (shoot a gyro at the wall and pick it up, keep throwing it up and up airing when people try to come down to you)

if it happens to be a damaging transformation (plant in the middle, spikes on the sides, etc), congrats, you just bypassed robs biggest weakness (landing a kill move).

plant in the middle kills mk around 90
if you grab mk at like 60 - 70 on the spike part its a guaranteed spikes - upsmash

tl;dr camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp until the plant/spikes transformation

also after playing on brinstar i like it more. shark on the left side with up air, shark on the right side with nair (it will hit the bubbles and your nair literally stays out for about 6 seconds LOL). jab the stringy things on the side to reset your moves OR when people are getting up from the ledge charge your f smash, the stringy things extend the hitbox by ALOT and actually make it a good kill move. break the bubbles as soon as they pop up and continue to camp. this makes it so mks ground is completley gone and he has to approach in the air every time. with means glide (lazer him), nado (lazer him), dair camp - nado (run off the stage, grab the ledge and punish accordingly) just MAKE SURE you break the bubbles as quick as you can on this stage and you should be fine.

ps2 - im not really a fan of the stage but on the air part OMFG OMFG OMFG so ****. you can link together about 4 nairs ina row by hitting them then chasing with up b into another nair. also on the ice part you can do sliding upsmashes which is pretty ****

this wasnt really a "guide" or anything just my thoughts on these stages. i REALLY like pictochat though

stingers

Smash Obsessed
hmm interesting thoughts on pictochat. ill try practicing that next time I play it.

what do u think about cruise?

TeeVee

Smash Lord
i dont like cruise with rob at all, never did. i just mk ditto when people take me there lol

and on picto, literally go into the match with the intent to time them out. do not approach ever.

also for starter stages, im banning sv every time and fd (if the other person outcamps us) or bf (if the other person is mk or gaw). which is forcing them to play on either lylat or yoshis (which im going to be practicing ALOT more. learning every gay trick rob can do on either of those stages since nobody actually goes there.

for rob to actually be a threat we need to look at the game from a different perspective

stingers

Smash Obsessed
if picto works that well ill prolly just ban cruise from now on. even though its not really that bad. man why is ROB so good on all the stages =[

TeeVee

Smash Lord
LOL yea rob doesnt have "bad stages" in general just in certain matchups. its all character specific

Zwarm

Smash Hero
PS2 with ROB can be so gay, his dair brings him higher that when he started, so if you have the stock lead, just camp the transformation above the blastzone. I say have the stock lead, only because you take a lot of damage up there.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Provide me with facts why PS2 isn't neutral. Tell me any character who ***** or sucks there, I can't name any. Isn't the point of a starter to be the most neutral stage for a certain MU? I think this stage is even for most. And the hazards are lol, they don't really do anything.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Personally, I like PS2 as a stage. I used to play on it all the time, and I still do from time to time. I have no problems with it, or any characters on it, honestly.

I meant the air transformation in my post above btw, lol.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah I was aware of that, but being above the opponent being even floatier and having the worst mobility in the game means everyone will catch you in air and **** you. And when you go high, you gotta land when it ends, not a good thing btw.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I usually just drop down onto the ledge once the wind dies down, most people don't follow ROB to the blastzone, and it's not like I'm using up all my fuel to stall up there. ROB has options to get back down, although they admittedly aren't the best.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah, i personally dont like ps2 (most likely from a lack of exp, as it banned in the uk) but the air stage can be the ultimate stall-out for r.o.b with his down-air boost and such.
but once again the landing is a problem, and maybe gonig to the ledge is a good choic,e youve then got to get onstage from the ledge, which can be difficult against certain characters (damned mk and d3)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
UK has a silly stagelist. What won't they ban? Don't tell me it's FD.

Anyways, PS2 is legit, nothing wrong with the stage. Some say it has strong positions to abuse. That is called rewarding the better player. Seriously, I love the electric stage, it makes the game interesting and allows to cancel laggy ground moves.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
UK has a silly stagelist. What won't they ban? Don't tell me it's FD.

Anyways, PS2 is legit, nothing wrong with the stage. Some say it has strong positions to abuse. That is called rewarding the better player. Seriously, I love the electric stage, it makes the game interesting and allows to cancel laggy ground moves.
its not silly, more strict than anything, anyway the uk stagelist is...
neutral:
battlfield
final destination
smashville
yoshi's island
lylat cruise
counterpick:
castle seige
halberd
pokemon stadium
brinstar
pictochat
frigate orpheon
rainbow ride
delphino plaza

not that silly really

sneakytako

Smash Lord
After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that PS2 is ********. 2nd worst starter after PS1 imo. 3 out of the 4 transformations are ridiculously easy to plank and waste time. The lip of the ledge is easier to manage compared to ps1. If you go into the mindset of 'lets time them out' it's really hard to not get a time out. Also DC is ******** on the wind transformation. As if MK needed more help in the air q.q.

More regions should pick up norfair and realize how legit it is :D.

But we really should get back on topic imo.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that PS2 is ********. 2nd worst starter after PS1 imo. 3 out of the 4 transformations are ridiculously easy to plank and waste time. If you go into the mindset of 'lets time them out' it's really hard to not get a time out. Also DC is ******** on the wind transformation. As if MK needed more help in the air q.q.

More regions should pick up norfair and realize how legit it is :D.

But we really should get back on topic imo.
there really is no topic in here anymore

also, why of why is ps2 a STARTER? i can almsot understand counterpick, but a neutral? you people are insane

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Oh sry, GP, I thought Finland was the only country in EU where stages like Picto and RC are legal. Sorry.
But I think it's funny how PS2 is banned but stuff like Picto isn't. If PS1 is legal, PS2 also has to be legal or the TO must be ******** or something. But it's your community, you play whatever you want to.

TeeVee

Smash Lord

ps1's transformations change the environment
ps2's transformation directly change the physics of the game

YOU are ******** for putting them in the same category and not realizing the difference. ps2 is a bad competitive stage.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You must be a bad player then. Explain to me how lower traction is worse than all kinds of walls during the stage?

The changing physics make the stage require skill, doesn't take it away.

Top Bottom