• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Doesn't matter what the OP does as long as we get information from this discussion! DK GO GO GO!

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
take DK to frigate and win xD
ban yoshi's, brinstar or norfair?
meh, just dont get pawnched! lol

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Suddenly DK bans Frigate. Where do you go now?

Oh and our projectiles **** here. It's awesome. Too bad he kills waayyy before us, but we should be easily able to dodge everything except da punch D:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
edgeguard the mug all day and youve gotten yourself a free win, be ready to shield whenever he is near and onstage
if he bans frigate then go to fd i should imagine, although if its legal, PTAD must be fun

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
DK can edgeguard rob pretty well and he has tons of neat tricksies
def rob's favor but not by thaaat much
make sure u ban yoshis
if they ban frigate take em to.... w/e u want lol. maybe halberd? is brinstar good or bad for dk? i could see it going either way

Heartstring

Smash Legend
halberd im not entirely sure, brinstar is good for dk (comparativly)
i would say rainbow ride maybe, as he's gonna struggle to get around on the up part
maybe seige as tis a relatively good rob stage

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I mean. YI is mainly good due to his recovery, right?
And his lagless up+b's

stingers

Smash Obsessed
invincible up b isn't even that big a deal. sonic and GaW are a lot scarier on yoshis.

unless japes is legal, DK doesn't have 'that' great CPs. I'd just ban brinstar and deal with the invincible up b its not that bad lol

TeeVee

Smash Lord
i dunno if you guys have played will recently but he got alot better at the matchup than he was months ago

im not even sure if the matchups in our favor or not tbh

Zwarm

Smash Hero
DK can get around our stuff pretty well, and he usually takes damage pretty well, so we need to camp really hard to even have a chance of winning this MU, imo. DK outranges us and outkills us, so we need to keep our distance at all times. I usually lose friendlies against Ook because I don't camp in friendlies, and I haven't played him in tournament for a good half a year now or so, so I'm not really too up to date on this MU, but all I know is camp.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
theres also the minor fact (that we've somehow forgotten to bring p) is that his shield is terribad. spamming dtilt on his shield is likely to eventually shieldpoke him, and a well-spaced nair may also shieldpoke even when its almost full

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It's not like our shield is better. Both get poked, Rob just got more tools for it.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
This MU is pretty 50:50 or maybe slightly our favour. But he has CPs and we don't.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
He has YI and Brinstar. Ban Brinstar, we can still beat them in YI. We got many stages like Cruise, Frigate, FD and so on.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
He's also a lot better than us on Battlefield, keep that in mind.
i personally feel that for the main 3 stages (bf, fd, sv) its down to personal like/hate for the stage, but yes, he has a fair advantage. but theres also the minor fact that we can hit him from ABOVE the platform with dtilt, although it has to be a stupid dk for that to work

TeeVee

Smash Lord
i personally feel that for the main 3 stages (bf, fd, sv) its down to personal like/hate for the stage, but yes, he has a fair advantage. but theres also the minor fact that we can hit him from ABOVE the platform with dtilt, although it has to be a stupid dk for that to work
no, he ***** us on bf...there is no discussion.

i feel that we win on smashville by a large margin. FD is 50 - 50, yi we get ***** at. and lylat is personal preference

idk i really dont like this matchup with rob, im just gonna start using mk/zss for it

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Sol Diviner: 50:50

Donkey Kong can be a pain. He's got a lot of good tools going for him: fast and far-reaching tilts, good aerials (namely, his Bair), good speed for his size, and a great momentum cancel with Spinning Kong. His Utilt ***** most characters on stages with platforms, like Battlefield and Smashville. Of course, we are not without our weapons.
For starters, we have Robo Beam and Gyro. The former being able to tack on some damage, and disrupt DK's recovery, especially if fully charged, though an uncharged Beam can also be a good way to gimp his recovery as well. The Gyro can be used as the standard glide toss option for us. Though, be aware that if DK grabs a hold of our Gyro, he can glide toss it back at us, and his glide toss is greater than ours, if you can believe that.
Though most R.O.B.s are resistant to spikes, DK has many ways to spike us, and at higher percents, even our survivability and spike resistance couldn't withstand his Fair/Dair spikes. On top of that, DK is one of the most effective stage spikers, whether it's is Fthrow against the stage lip, or Bair while we cling/plank around the ledge, so be aware of that.
It pays to stay in the air to prevent random forward B traps by DK, as it allows him to do just about anything he wants to us (normally a Giant Punch or Fsmash). Of course, one could never forget our ground options, like well spaced Ftilts and Dtilts, the latter of which (as stated before) can shield stab pretty effectively on someone the size of the ape. Be aware that DK's ground spacing is very good, possibly better than our (don't quote me on that... yet).
His recovery, as mentioned before, is great... horizontally. His Spinning Kong has no vertical defense, so if you see an opening to spike him down as he recovers, then go for it. Make sure not to get hit by the surprising horizontal range of his Up B, or else you'll have wasted a perfect punishment opportunity, and may very well find yourself at a disadvantage.
If you find yourself grabbed by DK and he Fthrows you underhand off the stage, the worst thing you could do is immediately use your second jump towards the stage, as Donkey Kong WILL spike you with a well-space Fair, which will **** us. Our Fair doesn't do much justice to fight back against it, but thankfully, our spike resistance goes some way to make up for it, provided we're at a modest percentage. The best thing to do is DI away from the stage and work on safely recovering, whether that includes harrassing him with Beams and Gyros to do so.
Another important thing is to not go "gung-ho" and approach him half-a**ed, since most DKs thrive on punishing characters who do so with tilts. Let him come to you, and if the DK refuses to approach, force one with Robo Beams, but NOT the Gyro: we don't want to give him a glide toss approach option. Also, remember that he is a large target, so it's fairly easy for us to hit him, but we need to be pretty close to do so, so we need to space our aerials and tilts properly.
I mention "space this" and "space that" a lot, and that's because this matchup is all about proper spacing, and intelligent planning. Donkey Kong's tilts is one of the best spacing tools in Brawl, and he will use that to his advantage. Also, a very important thing to remember: NEVER use Usmash or Fsmash unless you intend to kill with them. They're fine damage inducers, but we've other options that allows us to rack up damage as effectively as our tilts, and seeing as DK's fata** is hard enough to kill already, we need to keep our best killers as fresh as possible as insurance measures.
We just need to play to our strengths. The matchup isn't 50:50 for no reason, since we have our own little toys (quite literally) to get the jump on him. Just focus on luring him towards you, and punish punish punish. That's pretty much it. I've said all I can say. I may have missed something to add, but if I forgot anything, or if anyone has anything to add, or if anyone has anything to change about my analysis, then feel free to do so: we need as many good Matchups as humanly possible. XD

-LzR-

Smash Hero
He isn't going to stagespike us ever lol! And our uair will beat his dair in time. If he grabs our gyro, his glidetoss maybe be longer, but his throw animation is so laggy that it's no use for him.

Also I stay grounded a lot in this MU as his bair is hard to beat in air.
And our ftilt has shorter range, but isn't laggy like his.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
DK's also pretty good on Picto, due to the slanted ledge and lack of offstage fighting area.

DK can be tough for us since he challenges our tilt game so hard, and stay cautious while recovering, his B-air beats our fair and has reasonable enough power to kill us once we're offstage. Alot of this MU is also staying cautious of his punch and reading when he tries to use it. Where we have projectiles and recovery, he has kill power.

Stay unpredictable with your ground game, switching between tilts/jabs/projectiles, dont let him space you out or he will win. Camp and when he tries to approach, mess up his spacing by either walking towards or away from him.

Once you get DK offstage its pretty easy to poke at his recovery, edgeguard him hard, throw sh*t at him when he tries to use his Up-B.

ROB 55:45 DK

Also, not sure where else to put this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4pHZUJGG0k&feature=recentf

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I really need to test that out, it looks so freaking useful! Nice find, but does it work in SSB and Melee too?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I guess this allows me to mash out from Falco's CG as the local Falco rarely buffers the first throw as it takes him some time to start it, not much, but with this technique, enough to break away.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
This has the potential to turn the metagame on its a**. Imagine the characters that can really benefit from this. :O
if i'm honest, it would be faster for me to simply mash normally than to try and contort my left index finger onto the control stick to be able to do all this...although i think simply just mashing the dpad and everything else will be pretty fast too

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well this thing here is just 10x times faster than basic buttonmashing. You can break out of grabs in under a second until like 200%.

Top Bottom