• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
0/10 See me after class.
LET ME SERVE YOU A PLATE OF MY FEELINGS HAHA SEE BECAUSE I AM EXPLODING WITH RAGE.

Haha, you're a very talented artist! Do you have a page where you post all your work?
YEAH DO YOU i try linking your stuff to a friend all the time but they can never view it because its always an attachment.

IM SORRY ISMAR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Considering that Metroid is cursed with having at least one rising lava stage per game, I wouldn't be surprised if it's also present on the stage. It also would explain why there's so few pictures from below.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Haha, you're a very talented artist! Do you have a page where you post all your work?
:3 aw, thank you! but i'm still a student to become a professional graphic designer someday....and, no, i have only posted my (many) Ridley sketches here...and the other non-Ridley stuff i haven't scanned it and i feel lazy to do it. i wish i had one to show my work, but since most of them are sketches, and traditional method drawings, i don't want to show them yet on a page...and i need to wait more since im with Industrial design now...when i learn more about graphic design and make my drawings look more professional, i will think about making a page to show them, but for now, i will not. im sorry :c

also....your signature and avi are so cute and softie that i want to hug all the plushies!!!!

tumblr_m6b1d0ZZ3i1rsykmco2_250.gif

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
:3 aw, thank you! but i'm still a student to become a professional graphic designer someday....and, no, i have only posted my (many) Ridley sketches here...and the other non-Ridley stuff i haven't scanned it and i feel lazy to do it. i wish i had one to show my work, but since most of them are sketches, and traditional method drawings, i don't want to show them yet on a page...and i need to wait more since im with Industrial design now...when i learn more about graphic design and make my drawings look more professional, i will think about making a page to show them, but for now, i will not. im sorry :c

also....your signature and avi are so cute and softie that i want to hug all the plushies!!!!

View attachment 12051
If you like the substitute doll, then you should come to our fan club on the Greninja threads.
Basically, we just worship and talk about how great the substitute is.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
So hey. I found this and didn't see if it was posted yet.

But I think this is... something that could very easily speak for itself on a number of levels. I never even noticed this.
Another thing to note, is it me or is the FD version a little smaller!?

If so, would there be a way to see if the Ridley shadow was on the bigger or the smaller hazardless version!?

EDIT: GUYS, I went and checked, IT SEEMS TO BE ON THE FD VERSION!!
Unfortunatly I can't screencap, but you can check for yourself!

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
The FD stage is smaller, as the distance between the two pillars on the center to the larger one on the right is longer on the normal one. In the Ridley shadow footage, I think it happens on the FD version of Pyrosphere. Not sure if that means anything though, as the Yellow Devil seems to appear on a platform-less Wily's Castle... Dunno if that's the FD version or not, or if these stage bosses appear on them at all.

EDIT: Here's a quick comparison. Seems like the Ridley footage is on the normal Pyrosphere though:

[/quote]

Last edited:

Malle

Smash Apprentice
I brought this up too once (not as precisely as you guys tho).

Meaning if the FD versions will be free of platforms & hazards, then why would Ridley be on the FD version then if not playable.

Then the mystery of the Yellow Devil appears. One idea might be that the platforms deactivate whenever he prepares to enter the platform. That could be one of many things.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
The FD stage is smaller, as the distance between the two pillars on the center to the larger one on the right is longer on the normal one. In the Ridley shadow footage, I think it happens on the FD version of Pyrosphere. Not sure if that means anything though, as the Yellow Devil seems to appear on a platform-less Wily's Castle... Dunno if that's the FD version or not, or if these stage bosses appear on them at all.

EDIT: Here's a quick comparison. Seems like the Ridley footage is on the normal Pyrosphere though:

Hmm, too bad. I got excited for no reasons.
That and Nintendo being like "u missd sumthin in da direct lololol" is driving me crazy.

Last edited:

Sinn

Smash Lord
Why would the lava have to be removed in the Final Destination version of the stage? The only reason for that would be if it kept Pyrosphere from functioning like Final Destination equally or more than floating platforms do. Otherwise it's just fancy background decoration.

The Pyrosphere may just be a lava stage after all.
I'm probably wrong about this, but I thought that the cascading lava was just a decoration that wasn't constantly flowing in either version of the stage. Like, sometimes it would be there, sometimes it wouldn't. Though I don't know that I've seen any other Pyrosphere images without it either.

ChocolateWaffles

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChocolateWaffles
3DS FC
0920-1214-6221
Hope isn't completely gone for Ridley. Don't you thinks it's odd that they only showed Ridley's shadow? And if he was a boss, wouldn't he be automatically fighting Pikachu? Also, his flight animation reminds me of Meta Knight's flight animation. Did you notice how small Ridley looked? He looked small enough to be playable, plus Sakurai never flat out said Ridley was a boss. He's probably just toying with us. You know how Sakurai is.

Steelia

Smash Champion

But I think this is... something that could very easily speak for itself on a number of levels. I never even noticed this.
But the one on the left is the Final Destination-form of Pryosphere... Maybe they removed the lava spewing for that specific form so to save the framerate/not distract people from their super-high-level-glory-tier gameplay?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Wait a second the lava is turn off in the final destinTion version

And sakurai said something like final destination versions of stages the stage hazards Turn off

So we may be looking at rising lava after all

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
After a lot of analysis and such, I am still sure that Ridley has a big chance to be playable. But I won't go too in-depth, since I suck at explaining stuff.

But, one thing I did notice, was that, you know how Charizard is so new and changed now, that they even gave him a Newcomer-like Introduction in Greninja's trailer, right? Of course, he's not a newcomer, so it seems they did that to indicate that Charizard is very changed (no Trainer, and very different moveset). So he got a debut in Another newcomer's trailer.

But, Sheik and ZSS also got a Newcomer-like Flashy "Zeroes In!" and such. Since they both are so different. So, it would make sense for them to, just like Charizard, be "introduced" in a Newcomer's trailer. And what better trailer to introduce ZSS, than in a trailer about Ridley?
Sheik could do the same thing, as I personally expect a new Zelda character (Tingle or Ghirahim).

I realise they did this with Yoshi as well (Rolls in, I Think?), and it's very unlikely there will be Another Yoshi character. But I Think Yoshi got that since, as Sakurai said, Yoshi is very different now.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Charizard's return surprised most of us.....but many of us are wondering what happened to the pokemon trainer?
I think I found out what happened to him :grin:

Sinn

Smash Lord
But, one thing I did notice, was that, you know how Charizard is so new and changed now, that they even gave him a Newcomer-like Introduction in Greninja's trailer, right? Of course, he's not a newcomer, so it seems they did that to indicate that Charizard is very changed (no Trainer, and very different moveset). So he got a debut in Another newcomer's trailer.

But, Sheik and ZSS also got a Newcomer-like Flashy "Zeroes In!" and such. Since they both are so different. So, it would make sense for them to, just like Charizard, be "introduced" in a Newcomer's trailer. And what better trailer to introduce ZSS, than in a trailer about Ridley?
Sheik could do the same thing, as I personally expect a new Zelda character (Tingle or Ghirahim).

I realise they did this with Yoshi as well (Rolls in, I Think?), and it's very unlikely there will be Another Yoshi character. But I Think Yoshi got that since, as Sakurai said, Yoshi is very different now.
I got the impression that was done more for the Direct than anything else. After all, Pit has probably been changed just as much as Charizard/ZSS/Sheik have, and probably more than Yoshi, and he didn't get a flashy title card. I think those are less for "new" characters and more for just big announcements. Everything in the Direct was big (from a certain perspective, since the Direct was a big deal in and of itself), which is why I think they did it for all of the old characters too.

andimidna

Smash Master
But the one on the left is the Final Destination-form of Pryosphere... Maybe they removed the lava spewing for that specific form so to save the framerate/not distract people from their super-high-level-glory-tier gameplay?
Have you seen the new Final Destination on Wii U?

Or even the one in Brawl had a lot going on in the background. I don't think that's the case at all.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Have you seen the ACTUAL final destination and what is happening in its background? An uninvolved single lava plume is insanely tame.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Also, discussing Pyrosphere this way is important for analyzing the possibility of playable Ridley. And analyzing the possibility of playable Ridley is important to the RIdley support thread. I brought up Final Destination because a lava plume in a dark room is not going to drop frame rate or distract people as much as the sun crashing into the freaking earth.

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
I still think Ridley has a fair chance at being playable. The Palutena trolling during the direct pretty much proves Sakurai knows what people want and likes to play around with theyr expectations, so him dancing around Ridleys stage hazard reveal could mean he could be playable in the end. Or he wont and hes a stage hazard. Or maybe hes both playable AND a stage hazard (in a different form). We shall see

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ok guys RealTalk i think i have found something BiG!!! Seriously ok go to the direct video link below

from (07:20 to 07:23)
Mega spam pause and play to create slow mo

You can actually see Ridley take off!

No freaking JOKE OMG! Im freaking out right now serious !!!!

He jumps up and spreads his wings AND ARMS striking a fear like pose with arms out and body expanded in his jump animation (think typical boogeyman scare pose) then proceeds to fly in.

What i think Sakurai that evil man done is basicly super zoomed the camera into the ground in the corner of the stage almost to the end of the stage but not because right at the end is standing Ridley just of thr camera then someone picks up pad makes pikachu go through the camera then Ridley ''JUMPS'' Flys over to him stops grabs then moves of.

Seriously look you can see he jumps the animation is seriously...in my eyes crystal clear playable character jump like animation.

PLEASE HAVE A LOOK AND TELL ME YOU SEE IT !!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs

Holy ****! Its better if you just pause frame by frame you see as soon as he enter he just jumped!

Why does he only start flapping when hes like already in the middle of the stage?
he just jumped in completly possible to stay airbone through thr clip.

As he enters you can see his body is expanded arms out wings out he just jumped then start flap hovering in thr middle grabs then goes of.

Pause frame by frame the start ypu will see
why hes so high je probly just jumped of the platform thats in the corner of thr stage just of camera in the differences pic someone posted earlier.
you can see he just came from a jump.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I, actually see that! When the shadow is heading towards the middle, you can easily see the wings inactive before they start flapping when he stops.

Interesting.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If Ridley IS actually in, that video heavily suggests some kind of hover ability.
Oh its ridley alright but he's not deconfirmed check every post from day 1 of that direct we are too suspicious about some stuff which is evidence that prooves it does not decofirm ridley

This is the best one so far

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68996063

(Not the best angle but very accurate resize of images

Second place is at the very end of the shadow of ridley pikachu escaped Ridleys grip without doing anything and according to smash wikis everywhere characters can escape without pressing any buttons to escape depending on there health

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
They brought up an interesting idea of the lava on pyrosphere not necessarily rising to consume the stage, but to allow for ANOTHER lava boss from Other M to attack opponents. Not unlike the polar bear who occasionally lowered the bottom level of Summit into the water for the giant fish to attack in Brawl.

Things are looking pretty good for playable Ridley still. I'm surprised at how analysis has at the very least kind of made both ends really open.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Oh its ridley alright but he's not deconfirm check every post from day 1 of that direct we are too suspicious about some stuff which is evidence that prooves it does not decofirm ridley

This is the best one so far

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68996063

(Not the best angle but very accurate resize of images

Second place is at the very end of the shadow of ridley pikachu escaped Ridleys grip without doing anything and according to smash wikis everywhere characters can escape without pressing any buttons to escape depending on there health
I'm working on it, but there's been over 70 pages since I last logged on so it'll be a while before I catch up. I'll probably have to skim a bit, as much as I'd hate to miss some art lessons.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Something I don't see people pointing out is that Ridley actually grabs Pikachu when he's stationary.

Not much to say about that, but that means he grabs enemies in the air then throws them in a bland way. And I dunno about you, but "I fly, I grab you, I stop, I wait, I throw you, I fly" does not look like boss/computer behaviour.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Alright, I've been neglecting to post since the Direct, I didn't want to take out my anger at the time on the citizens. But now that time's passed and things have developed, I figured I can input now.

From what I can see in the short clip and what others have pointed out, I think the clip transpires like so:
1. Pikachu walks across the stage while Ridley stands on one of the platforms off-screen.
2. Ridley jumps and swoops down to the middle of the stage or so, his tail briefly coming into view.
3. He grabs Pikachu off-screen and holds onto with his foot/feet.
4. Ridley hovers in place for a couple seconds before...
->A. He moves further off-screen
or.
->B. Pikachu breaks free, his shadow obscured by Ridley's as...
5. Ridley moves himself to the platforms on the other side of the stage and turns around.
6. As the camera fades out, Ridley jumps again, coming back towards the center of the stage.

The way the shadows on the Pyrosphere are, it's very possible that his shadow behaving like it does near the end of the clip because Ridley landing on the upper platform and turning around.
If all this is right, and Ridley is playable, then there's evidence that even he has a unique gameplay mechanic like all the other newcomers, with his mechanic being aerial grabbing.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Something I don't see people pointing out is that Ridley actually grabs Pikachu when he's stationary.

Not much to say about that, but that means he grabs enemies in the air then throws them in a bland way. And I dunno about you, but "I fly, I grab you, I stop, I wait, I throw you, I fly" does not look like boss/computer behaviour.
Yeah. He moves at walking speed, stops to casually pick people up, and then presumably flies off with them or throws them. It doesn't look like boss behavior, mostly because if that IS boss behavior that is such a dull boss I can't even begin. I think the slowest fighters could run circles around that.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Holy ****! Its better if you just pause frame by frame you see as soon as he enter he just jumped!

Why does he only start flapping when hes like already in the middle of the stage?
he just jumped in completly possible to stay airbone through thr clip.

As he enters you can see his body is expanded arms out wings out he just jumped then start flap hovering in thr middle grabs then goes of.

Pause frame by frame the start ypu will see
why hes so high je probly just jumped of the platform thats in the corner of thr stage just of camera in the differences pic someone posted earlier.
you can see he just came from a jump.
I, actually see that! When the shadow is heading towards the middle, you can easily see the wings inactive before they start flapping when he stops.

Interesting.
I don't see him "taking off" anywhere.

He's flying, yes, but he doesn't have to be constantly flapping to fly. You can see he is flapping his wings just before and while he is above the stage. He's coming in off from the side.

I honestly don't see what you guys are seeing.

Top Bottom