• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Steelia

Smash Champion
Ah thank you very much for summarizing lots of the things we've seen about the shadow in the thread, but placing it in one big post with images. Hope you don't mind me linking these images later so I can just copy+paste a message so we dont have to have 5 people explain Ridley's Shadow when someone asks about it.
Sure, feel free. Again, all that is just what I see, but I'm pretty sure they're observations others here have made, too. :)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Thats a good question. The only explanation would be

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SPOILERS FOR OTHER M DO NOT READ BELOW THIS IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS FOR OTHER M !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the GF * Galactic Federation* was able to create more Ridley's from the DNA extract of Samus' suit. Not sure if the in Bottleship was the only place where they were re-creating monsters from Zebes.
In Prime 4, there must be a friggin' Ridley Army!

There will be 10 Ridleys, each of which looks slightly different (just like how Classic Ridley and Roidley contrasted) and each have their own unique abilities!
Samus needs to hunt each own down, and defeat them all!

And then she finds the original Ridley who is revived, and she needs to defeat him!

The end!
YOU GOT NO STYLE!

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I wonder if ridley's reveal trailer will be a reference to super metroid
or Other M.

Edit: And if your wondering why I listed these its because other M is connected to super metroid and both reveal ridley with glowing eyes.
Considering Megaman, Greninja emerged from the shadows, and Little Mac hiding his face with his hood, I'd be surprised if it'd be more related to the Super Metroid entrance. Smash Newcomers were just a bunch of lurkers.

Which one would I prefer? Super Metroid because having glowy eyes in the darkness is cooler than having glowy eyes in a darkened room with lava.

Of course they can combine the two. Starting it out with glowing eyes in the darkness, then suddenly something breaks (Whether it's a missed shot from one of the fighters, or Ridley using his tail) and there's lava behind him showing it's Ridley, then if it's Other M Ridley, he can stomp forward and doing a roar to scare some of the roster (maybe Olimar + Luigi?). Though I'd prefer Samus not get scared and just get into battle mode.

Unrelated but dang Anthony is awesome, I really hope he returns.

When Other Ridley made his intro, that was probably the clone's most badass moment in its final stage. Came off literally like a bat out of hell.

But then when he comes out of the shadows we saw the rest of his design. :urg: During that short moment in the gif though he looked pretty badass. So regardless of the role, I hope Other Ridley at least makes an entrance like that.

And this might be a long shot, but the thing with Ridley and shadows in the direct... Was it possibly taken from this part of the manga? Look at Ridley's shadow at the bottom.

Probably not taken from that.

Anywho, since I haven't read that far in, it comes off as.
"Ridley you killed my parents! You killed my father!" "No Samus, I AM YOUR FATHER!"

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Potentially, but IIRC, the same thing happened in Zero Mission in the Ridley boss cutscene, so it could also be drawing from that.

Ultimately though, it was probably just to be vague...

JediLink

Smash Ace
Why ? I don't know anything about the Yellow Devil, but is he as much important to the Megaman series and Capcom than Ridley is to the Metroid series and Nintendo ?
Not really. The Yellow Devil is pretty iconic but he's not on the same level as Ridley. He's probably closer to Mother Brain levels if anything.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
First off, you shouldn't cite the ZSS incident as a reason why this doesn't confirm ridley. ZSS was literally confirmed 2 seconds after he said she wouldn't return. That is a completely different scenario than the one with ridley.
And Sakurai made it pretty obvious that Ridley would be a boss but hes withholding specifics just as he does with nearly every other aspect of this game. When yellow devil was first shown, he didn't say a word about it. The character customization and cross platform interactivity was kept completely in the dark. Even some stages like pilot wings have not been revealed instantly. Not revealing everything at once has been the biggest common theme with releasing smashbros information.
At this point sakurai expects you to know Ridleys a boss, but hes not showing him off yet. The visuals, attacks, and other details such as killing benefits will be something he'll share later.
You didn't really address my points, in fact ignored a few.
He has not withheld a lot of information when it has proven relevant, look at all the actual deconfirmations he gave in the direct, simply with ATs alone? He withholds information in the sense that he doesnt tell us everything about the game all at once, and... duh. But he does not pursposefully try to slowly deliver the information of Bad News.

His fakeout of ZSS, amongst his other habits this go round, prove heavily he is into the, as previously said, bait and switch. He wants Ridley to be a surprise inclusion, so he is toying that he may not be. He is not our enemy, he does not want to incite fans. The only actual argument I can see is that 'he is actually happy with Ridley as a boss and thinks we will be.

Hell, the shadow to me might as well be a who's that pokemon of playable Ridley.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Alright. As mentioned on the last page, here's my interpretation of the footage.

First off...
It's definitely Other M Ridley. Besides the tail spike, some other noteworthy features.

The spikes on his arms seen right around when Ridley's shadow appears, (pardon the really crude outline)

and his notorious duck bill face, a little further into the video.

Now the interesting part people have started pointing out.
Ridley is grabbing Pikachu.

Can't see it?
I'll slow it down a little...

Pause #1: Ridley's grab animation begins; he reaches out with a massive hand to the out of screen Pikachu.
Pause #2: Ridley hoists Pikachu in his hands. To me, it looks like he's placing Pikachu in his feet, like how an eagle grabs its prey. Still hard to make out what's going on here.
Pause #3: A full-body shot of Ridley and Pikachu.

Lastly, after a few seconds of grab animation, Pikachu breaks free of Ridley's grasp, like any fighter does when grabbed for too long and not thrown. It's only a few frames long, so it can be hard to miss, but it's right before Ridley resumes flying across the stage. Pikachu's tail is outlined in yellow.

It's not much, but it does raise one interesting question to me. Boss grabs (Master Hand, Crazy Hand, even Tabuu's whip) all activate an attack animation where they squeeze/pummel the opponent. Here, Ridley is very clearly holding Pikachu but not doing anything other than flying idle, swaying back and forth for several seconds. Why?
...Also, why is Ridley only shown as a shadow?

Curse you all for giving me hope.

No no no I'm no saying you confirmed ridley playable it's just you found another thing I diden't catch pikachu escape by not struggling at all

Oh to help out I think he holds the character with his hand but when he puts that character in his foot he's carrying them like donkey kong does threw the whole series (let's say he is playable lets to with a split second after he grabs someone the person did the Foward throw so quickly it a grab like donkey kongs carrying them on his back but for ridley sakes his feet)

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Looks like Fox is facing directly towards the light source. So I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, Besides. the tail seems to most of the tail goes off of the playable area anyways.

No no no I'm no saying you confirmed ridley playable it's just you found another thing I diden't catch pikachu escape by not struggling at all

Oh to help out I think he holds the character with his hand but when he puts that character in his foot he's carrying them like donkey kong does threw the whole series (let's say he is playable lets to with a split second after he grabs someone the person did the Foward throw so quickly it a grab like donkey kongs carrying them on his back but for ridley sakes his feet)
Crud, I knew I forgot to mention something. I wanted to thank Steelia for mentioning that Pikachu gets out of the grab, since I haven't seen that and it's hard to see it anyways.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I have a idea for the flight problem

I think fast-walking animation is him flying so is his idle animation (you know like hovering just barely over the ground)

I think slow walking will be on his feet normal walking will be crawling

And the flight is really long when he has a character in his foot

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
The tail and wings I assume are managed really carefully so that most of the time they aren't actually relevant to Ridley's hitboxes unless he is using the tail as an attack or something.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm struggling to see much of anything in those gifs, but... I'll keep looking haha. I can see the tail outlined in yellow though, and that is pretty big itself.

Honestly the one thing I need to remain skeptical is the fact that he only showed the shadow. There's literally no reason for him to be teasing that unless he's even slightly aware of the demand for Ridley. The only argument I can think of would be that he didn't want to either...

Show too many bosses all at once.
or,
Outright show him and disappoint Ridley fans.

But if it was the former, why show the shadow at all? The conclusion would still obvious: "Ridley appears as a boss here" and really defeats the purpose of remaining secretive. If it's the latter, then again, why show the shadow at all? People would still (and obviously did) just assume he's not a playable character due to being a boss, so I'm sure many fans still felt the disappointment he would've been trying to avoid.

I don't know, I just can't wrap my head around why he'd wait this long to show him as nothing more than a shadow. We got Pyrosphere MONTHS ago after all.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I'm struggling to see much of anything in those gifs, but... I'll keep looking haha. I can see the tail outlined in yellow though, and that is pretty big itself.

Honestly the one thing I need to remain skeptical is the fact that he only showed the shadow. There's literally no reason for him to be teasing that unless he's even slightly aware of the demand for Ridley. The only argument I can think of would be that he didn't want to either...

Show too many bosses all at once.
or,
Outright show him and disappoint Ridley fans.

But if it was the former, why show the shadow at all? The conclusion would still obvious: "Ridley appears as a boss here" and really defeats the purpose of remaining secretive. If it's the latter, then again, why show the shadow at all? People would still (and obviously did) just assume he's not a playable character due to being a boss, so I'm sure many fans still felt the disappointment he would've been trying to avoid.

I don't know, I just can't wrap my head around why he'd wait this long to show him as nothing more than a shadow. We got Pyrosphere MONTHS ago after all.
To me, if someone told me I'm not having cake, I'd be sad but okay because I wasn't expecting cake anyways.
However, if someone told me I was going to have cake several times, and then not receive it, I'd think the person is a jerk and be upset.

Ridley has been teased quite a bit, and other characters usually get de-confirmed outright if they are something else. I'm pretty sure Sakurai knows it's better to tell someone bad news right away, instead of giving fake good news until you get the bad news.

The behavior is strange, but it makes more sense that he's doing it for a playable reveal. Considering how it was presented, and how many fakeouts there were in the direct.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
To me, if someone told me I'm not having cake, I'd be sad but okay because I wasn't expecting cake anyways.
However, if someone told me I was going to have cake several times, and then not receive it, I'd think the person is a jerk and be upset.

Ridley has been teased quite a bit, and other characters usually get de-confirmed outright if they are something else. I'm pretty sure Sakurai knows it's better to tell someone bad news right away, instead of giving fake good news until you get the bad news.

The behavior is strange, but it makes more sense that he's doing it for a playable reveal. Considering how it was presented, and how many fakeouts there were in the direct.
Yeah that's a good way to put it. There's no other character that he teases along like this, and he has at least one time in the past flat-out confirmed that a requested character isn't in (Waluigi) without any around-the-bush nonsense.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
it would be funny that Ridley steals her boots and "modified" them that when she wears them again, she goes out of control looking like a crazy ballerina...

Last edited:

AndreaAC

@IsmaR Oh, i wanted to ask....your new avi is a metroid with a mustache and a stereotypical mexican hat?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Too bad there wasn't someone to be an Adam to Sakurai.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
@IsmaR Oh, i wanted to ask....your new avi is a metroid with a mustache and a stereotypical mexican hat?
I believe the proper term is Sombrero.

And yes, it is. It's fan art of me for a podcast I did recently.

Um....what do you mean??

As in a Metroid wearing a hat will be much more inconspicuous to Samus.

AndreaAC

I believe the proper term is Sombrero.

And yes, it is. It's fan art of me for a podcast I did recently.

As in a Metroid wearing a hat will be much more inconspicuous to Samus.
oh, i know that it is a sombrero, im mexican after all, even if i live in a frontier city near the US...it just that i have seen many use that stereotype before but never in a Metroid....it is funny

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I was just *trying* to read the past four pages of this thread.

All I can is.

1- Sakurai, you wanted to bring controversy to 'will Ridley be playable' because he seemed so likely. Well done.

2- In summary of this thread, "waaaaa"

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I was just *trying* to read the past four pages of this thread.

All I can is.

1- Sakurai, you wanted to bring controversy to 'will Ridley be playable' because he seemed so likely. Well done.

2- In summary of this thread, "waaaaa"
Past 4 pages? You should have seen the pages that were created the day the direct was made. It was atrocious. Of course, random people coming to basicly say "Your dreams are now crushed forever" didn't help either.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
oh, i know that it is a sombrero, im mexican after all, even if i live in a frontier city near the US...it just that i have seen many use that stereotype before but never in a Metroid....it is funny
At the risk of being off topic, here's the full pic:
nintendodirectpodcastpicturedone-1.png

I'm known in the group for being the Metroid fan, and for being Mexican, so the stereotype just seemed to fit. Didn't mean to offend you/anyone.

Too bad there wasn't someone to be an Adam to Sakurai.
If anything, I imagine Sakurai being the Adam to Bandai Namco.

Past 4 pages? You should have seen the pages that were created the day the direct was made. It was atrocious. Of course, random people coming to basicly say "Your dreams are now crushed forever" didn't help either.
Definitely. I wasn't on the forums until a while after the Direct, but I already dreaded what this thread would become.

Was actually pleasantly surprised with the last few pages upon opening it up today.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Honestly, I felt the first update/pic Pyrosphere had caused worse reactions than the direct did as far as Ridley. The direct simply further justified (for lack of better word) some others' suspicions on what Sakurai had in store for the purple dragon.

AndreaAC

I'm known in the group for being the Metroid fan, and for being Mexican, so the stereotype just seemed to fit. Didn't mean to offend you/anyone.
Oh no...im not offended....so don't worry

solo que se me hace gracioso que algunos piensan que lo usamos normalmente...así fue como hace 100 a 200 años atrás....

also nice pic, and i hope there is no problem that i write in spanish...

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I know, I read them all. Took a long time. I then came up with my post which, to my reasoning, has yet to find any refuting other than 'Sakurai really thinks we will be happy with Ridley as a boss,'
I just dont want to PM it to all the opposition, especially the Ice Queen

Keeshu

Smash Ace

If anything, I imagine Sakurai being the Adam to Bandai Namco.

Definitely. I wasn't on the forums until a while after the Direct, but I already dreaded what this thread would become.

Was actually pleasantly surprised with the last few pages upon opening it up today.
I do believe the shock of Ridley has died down since probably everyone has seen it by now. So that might be the reason why.

I will say one thing about the drama, it got me more involved with the Ridley thread, and made me more confident in Ridley because I looked into the shadow a bit more. Was a little annoyed with so many people looking at it from one side, so I wanted to say some things.
I'll probably calm down with the posting sometime soon (or now since I don't see much left to talk about the shadow until someone brings up something new), I feel like I'm posting 5 times more than I usually do/should.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Bingo anther one

In the dark lord gameplay part of the direct he flys off the screen to the background

Ridley did not

I did not see him fly those directions I mean we can loose opertunity a to attack boss ridley would fly into the background

He was in for way too long and he stay parallel to the white line diden't go into the black arrows

(By the way the line of the cross of the arena is where pikachu was walking right under the white line)

Finally if he was a boss hazard I think he would work like in dead or alive dimensions

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Bingo anther one

In the dark lord gameplay part of the direct he flys off the screen to the background

Ridley did not

I did not see him fly those directions I mean we can loose opertunity a to attack boss ridley would fly into the background

He was in for way too long and he stay parallel to the white line diden't go into the black arrows

(By the way the line of the cross of the arena is where pikachu was walking right under the white line)

Finally if he was a boss hazard I think he would work like in dead or alive dimensions

Dark Lord is probably going into the background to do some sort of special attack. Ridley wasn't on-screen long enough to know if he has an attack like that or not (his shadow is on-screen for only 6 seconds).

I haven't seen much of Dead or Alive, but from what I see in the Ridley trailer, he kinda just hangs in the background attacking the characters, while being unable to be attacked. I'm pretty sure all the bosses are going to be able to be attacked due to the super powerful attack you get when you finish off the boss. Ridley is also on the playing field with characters, so it would make sense for him to get hit.

I really don't see the Ridley we saw in the direct being a hazard. I'm pretty convinced he's playable.... Hoping for a Super Metroid Ridley alt costume.

Substitute

Smash Apprentice
I really don't see the Ridley we saw in the direct being a hazard. I'm pretty convinced he's playable.... Hoping for a Super Metroid Ridley alt costume.
It looks like we'll be getting more costumes since Little Mac got a wireframe alt so I'm hopeful that when Ridley gets confirmed we'll have all the cool variations. Meta Ridley from Prime 1 is my favorite iteration of the character.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

With SM Ridley/ Meta/ Omega (if that form is at least a trophy, that is fine for me) I will be happy

Last edited:

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
You didn't really address my points, in fact ignored a few.
I'm not obligated to address them all. I had some thoughts and opinions that were related to yours so I posted them.
He has not withheld a lot of information when it has proven relevant, look at all the actual deconfirmations he gave in the direct, simply with ATs alone? He withholds information in the sense that he doesnt tell us everything about the game all at once, and... duh. But he does not pursposefully try to slowly deliver the information of Bad News.
Deconfirming a character isn't an announcement, that direct was not about that. That being said, an assist trophy is not a big deal, so of course it will be direct and to the point. A stage boss is much more significant. And what do you mean not holding info until relevant?

And also, this is only bad news if you were expecting too much or something too specific.

His fakeout of ZSS, amongst his other habits this go round, prove heavily he is into the, as previously said, bait and switch. He wants Ridley to be a surprise inclusion, so he is toying that he may not be. He is not our enemy, he does not want to incite fans. The only actual argument I can see is that 'he is actually happy with Ridley as a boss and thinks we will be.
He is happy with a boss and probably thinks a lot of us will be. A stage boss seems like a pretty good idea to me and its a definite upgrade from SSE boss as he stands closer to the core of the game.

I think we need to realize on these forums how many people do not have very strong opinions on this. Over 12 million copies of brawl were purchased. I'd be surprised if a quarter of them are rallying for ridley, let alone be opposed to what he appears to be now.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
To be fair, while I think Ridley is a boss and not playable, I DO still support him as playable. I just don't think it'll happen.
Wasn't referring to you, but the sorry hunk of people who whine and get mad at people who still think there's a chance.

Needless to say them turning on us people that still want Ridley because he could be one of the most unique and fun characters in smash ever shows their true colors, and their true colors are that they aren't Ridley fans, without a doubt.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
You could say that about pretty much any character though. I doubt that many out of the 12 million that got Brawl were angrily or desperately rallying for Mewtwo to come back with how hyped they were for everyone else, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom