• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
You could say that about pretty much any character though. I doubt that many out of the 12 million that got Brawl were angrily or desperately rallying for Mewtwo to come back with how hyped they were for everyone else, etc.
It's really bizarre. "Too big" stopped being a thing, but people are now transitioning to bizarre logic like "It doesn't matter if Sakurai hinted at the possability of being playable and didn't announce Rid;ey as a boss explicitly like the Dark Emperor or Yellow Devil, because nobody really wants popular characters to be playable. They just want to see them in Smash Bros."

Even though, you know. If people didn't want popular characters to be playable I don't think they would be popular in terms of Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
It's really bizarre. "Too big" stopped being a thing, but people are now transitioning to bizarre logic like "It doesn't matter if Sakurai hinted at the possability of being playable and didn't announce Rid;ey as a boss explicitly like the Dark Emperor or Yellow Devil.
I'm sorry but when was Dark Emperor announced as a boss? Yes, he attacks players in the stage, but Yellow Devil is the only confirmed "boss" as far as I know.

Yellow Devil is a boss in the sense that players can work to defeat him and that this will affect the match. The end of the Yellow Devil section of the direct and the facebook post implied that there would be more but as far as I know, YD is the only boss right now.

Also how did we get from this:
EDIT: He left us with the very real implication that he COULD be a boss without removing the possibility that he could be playable. That's not actually the same thing.
To saying that Sakurai flat-out hinted at the possibility of him being a boss?

Last edited:

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
You could say that about pretty much any character though. I doubt many out of the 12 million that got Brawl were angrily or desperately rallying for Mewtwo to come back, etc.
That's my point. The developers are in the best position to make the best game and it should be that way. And even if we do think "This character has to get in because they're so popular, everyone wants them and there's no way nintendo can refuse us", we're probably wrong. Most likely, the majority is accepting what the developers create.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's my point. The developers are in the best position to make the best game and it should be that way. And even if we do think "This character has to get in because they're so popular, everyone wants them and there's no way nintendo can refuse us", we're probably wrong. Most likely, the majority is accepting what the developers create.

Eh... the developers are not always right. Sorry.
We certainly are not, especially as a collective, but they do not make only right decisions.

majora_787

Smash Hero
We have seen Dark Emperor being in the background of the Find Mii stage and ON the stage. If he's not a boss, he is a coincidental assist trophy I guess. And I don't think Sakurai really did anything explicitly. Which is the problem. He gave us a definite implication that it's possible he is a boss, and never removed the definite possibility that he could be playable. Even what he showed us implies playability rather than being a boss, but really it's a "who knows" forever.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Dark Emperor is obviously a stage element but what I was getting at was that we don't know if Dark Emperor is a boss in the sense that YD is. A "boss" being defined as:

• An enemy or that attacks all players indiscriminately.
  • Has HP that can be drained, like YD causing the boss to be defeated.
So far, Yellow Devil is the only one who meets that criteria that we know of. This post implies that it is the only one we know of as well.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Dark Emperor is obviously a stage element but what I was getting at was that we don't know if Dark Emperor is a boss in the sense that YD is. A "boss" being defined as:

• An enemy or that attacks all players indiscriminately.
  • Has HP that can be drained, like YD causing the boss to be defeated.
So far, Yellow Devil is the only one who meets that criteria that we know of. This post implies that it is the only one we know of as well.
I mostly just called it a boss because it seemed to be a stage element that attacked people. I don't know if it actually works exactly like Yellow Devil or if it's just a jackass or something.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
We have seen Dark Emperor being in the background of the Find Mii stage and ON the stage. If he's not a boss, he is a coincidental assist trophy I guess. And I don't think Sakurai really did anything explicitly. Which is the problem. He gave us a definite implication that it's possible he is a boss, and never removed the definite possibility that he could be playable. Even what he showed us implies playability rather than being a boss, but really it's a "who knows" forever.
Sakurai twist: Dark Emperor new fighter representing the Miiverse.

Also, I just had a terrible thought; What if Sakurai revealed Charizard specifically to sow seeds of doubt into Ridley's inclusion?

Sakurai, you devious troublemaker.

(also to rile up the Ivysaur/Squirtle fans, but sucks to be them.)
(Also Mewtwo hopefuls. My deepest sympathies and well-wishes)

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
You could say that about pretty much any character though. I doubt that many out of the 12 million that got Brawl were angrily or desperately rallying for Mewtwo to come back with how hyped they were for everyone else, etc.
The thing is, the internet fanbase, aka us, will always be the most vocal and visible feedback developers will get on the game. Whether or not we represent every fan's opinions properly or not, that fact isn't going to change that if the internet is upset at the exclusion of Ridley, Sakurai will know.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
The thing is, the internet fanbase, aka us, will always be the most vocal and visible feedback developers will get on the game. Whether or not we represent every fan's opinions properly or not, that fact isn't going to change that if the internet is upset at the exclusion of Ridley, Sakurai will know.
Don't you mean the inclusion of Ridley?

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Don't you mean the inclusion of Ridley?
lol if you're making a joke that Ridley is actually still in, then yes.

But in the context of what I said, I don't believe anyone would be upset about the inclusion of his character on the roster.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Everyone will leave the thread to watch E3. And while it is empty it will somehow explode into another 50+ pages in one day.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0144.JPG

This Ridley pic is a reminder that i will never drink a mango milkshake and eating donuts while listening to F-Zero music again....:sick:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Everyone will leave the thread to watch E3. And while it is empty it will somehow explode into another 50+ pages in one day.
I just thought of really downer stuff that I should keep to myself, but because I am so cruel I know you can already guess what they probably were just by posting this. Did you hear that. Sehnsucht just came all over this psychological bull****.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I just thought of really downer Stuff that I Should keep to myself, but because I am So cruel I know you can already guess what they probably were just by posting this. Did you hear that. Sehnsucht just came all over this psychological bull****.
0/10 See me after class.

Last edited:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
lol if you're making a joke that Ridley is actually still in, then yes.

But in the context of what I said, I don't believe anyone would be upset about the inclusion of his character on the roster.
No, I think he will be playable.

JediLink

Smash Ace
HEY GUYS, you know in that interview ages ago where Sakurai said if Ridley was playable, he'd be slow? Well, the shadow was moving really slowly! Therefore Ridley confirmed!

I hope Ridley is properly revealed soon. All this speculation is doing my head in.

majora_787

Smash Hero
So hey. I found this and didn't see if it was posted yet.

But I think this is... something that could very easily speak for itself on a number of levels. I never even noticed this.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269

But I think this is... something that could very easily speak for itself on a number of levels. I never even noticed this.
What? What did you see? Seriously what are you pointing out here?

majora_787

Smash Hero
What? What did you see? Seriously what are you pointing out here?
Why would the lava have to be removed in the Final Destination version of the stage? The only reason for that would be if it kept Pyrosphere from functioning like Final Destination equally or more than floating platforms do. Otherwise it's just fancy background decoration.

The Pyrosphere may just be a lava stage after all.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace

Maybe it's because I'm about to fall asleep at the computer, but what am I supposed to be looking for?

Edit: NvM you ninja'd me

Last edited:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Why would the lava have to be removed in the Final Destination version of the stage? The only reason for that would be if it kept Pyrosphere from functioning like Final Destination equally or more than floating platforms do. Otherwise it's just fancy background decoration.

The Pyrosphere may just be a lava stage after all.
Oh I see. Interesting. *falls asleep*

Drauma blior!
(pleasant dreams in Old Norse)

majora_787

Smash Hero
i think @majora_787 is pointing that the lava disappeared, so the lava is the stage hazard...
It seems to have become a possibility. And if lava is a stage hazard on the Pyrosphere, which would explain why the lava was removed from the Final Destination version, what is the point in having a strangely-behaving, undersized boss monster on top of it? That sounds excessive.

EDIT: It's still "maybes" but I don't think there is any reason for things to be removed if it is just background decoration on the stage that doesn't affect anything.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
It seems to have become a possibility. And if lava is a stage hazard on the Pyrosphere, which would explain why the lava was removed from the Final Destination version, what is the point in having a strangely-behaving, undersized boss monster on top of it? That sounds excessive.

EDIT: It's still "maybes" but I don't think there is any reason for things to be removed if it is just background decoration on the stage that doesn't affect anything.
Interesting.

It seems the Lava may still be playable yet. 8D

EDIT: It also occurs to me that perhaps the lava only comes out intermittently (i.e. it comes and goes). Do we know if the lava flow in non-FD Pyrosphere is constant?

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Or perhaps the lava does not spew out 24/7 and only happens every now and then (which isn't uncommon for lava themed levels in games).
Isn't it kind of suspicious when literally the only time we ever saw lava NOT coming out in footage or in screenshots at all was in the final destination stage that removes hazards? That seems kind of like a weird coincidence.

EDIT: What we would need is a picture from footage or a picture in general of normal Pyrosphere with platforms and the lava definitely not coming out.

EDIT: Skimming through available pictures, Pyrosphere pictures seem to either show lava coming out, or not even show the wall where lava comes out.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Yeah, if the lava on Norfair was annoying, lava and a "boss" on Pyrosphere would be too much...

Q2A571_0D6523AD4430A_001.gif

well....now time to go to sleep....

Top Bottom