• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm not a huge Ridley fan but even I groaned when Sakurai pretty much sliced his head off right in front of us.

I did like the idea of having Ridley playable....

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Screenshot_2014-04-09-00-48-59.png
Well look thats his tail or claw?
its obviously other m ridley.

I dunno maybe Sakurai didnt wanna make a clone ridley playable and the real ridley still is secret?

I dunno.........straw grasping....i dunno

''Why keep something soooo secret and tease it beyond belief if there is nothing to hide''

cant help but thik this......i dunno...i really dont im lost....

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Its over for Smash 4. I have a lot to say. If we want a playable Ridley in Smash Bros. to happen, we need to roll up our own sleeves and ALL of us are going to have to work together.

I have probably the most important piece I have ever worked on ever in regards to Smash Bros. right now. I said earlier that things would be ready later this week. But I will only put together the outline.

Later this month, I will have something grand planned. The complementary game to Smash 4 is not Smash 4 3DS or Smash 4 Wii U, but rather I think its Smash 4 3DS with Project M (or Smash 4 Wii U with Project M for those who have Wii U's).
If Ridley isn't in, then he isn't in. I know others tend to invest in things from an emotional standpoint, but I cannot say that I share this experience. I intend to purchase the Wii U version, as the Direct had plenty of excellent and tantalizing tidbits. Ridley was the only real downside to the Direct (except perhaps in how Mewtwo's chances are slightly more nebulous with Greninja's inclusion).

I haven't played Project M, though I am aware of it. Don't know if I'll ever bother getting that whole thing set up. But if you're intending on pursuing some Ridley modding, then I most certainly wish you luck in your endeavors. ;)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Yep. People don't listen to the guy who has been around since even the pre-Melee days. :laugh:

We have a real opportunity for a playable Ridley now, just not for Smash 4.
You have to be blind to not see it's rather suspicious. I mean, not to get your hopes up, since you obviously have thrown in the towel.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
God....I really wish that hazard Roidley and playable Ridley was the case...

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Just wait, people. Don't jump out of the window yet. A legit deconfirmation still needs to happen (as much as I believe that his chances are practically non-existent at this point).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I haven't played Project M, though I am aware of it. Don't know if I'll ever bother getting that whole thing set up. But if you're intending on pursuing some Ridley modding, then I most certainly wish you luck in your endeavors. ;)
Project M is easily the best Smash Bros. game right now.

As for Smash 4 Wii U, the Wii U is tracking behind even the GameCube, and its sales track record is more in line with the DreamCast (though it will probably start tracking ahead of the Dreamcast once Mario Kart 8 hits). In terms of Smash Bros games, Smash 4 Wii U is probably going to be the worst selling installment to the franchise.

In territories such as Europe, the Wii U is basically a zombie console.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
(was already posting my thoughts when site went down. Lost 99% of the post, starting mostly from scratch)

I'm just sort of baffled at this... Not Ridley's being excluded again, (maybe) but that Sakurai still seems to be acting coy about it. I mean... how long has it been since the Pyrosphere reveal? And now we get.... A SHADOW?

...Sakurai's team seriously can't be still working on this "Boss" Ridley if that has been their plan this whole time. I put out the theory that Sakurai might make stage hazard Ridley if attempts at making a playable Ridley fell through, but that theory also assumed they would be properly managing their time.

Well now with the 3DS version coming out some time this summer (That could very well be mid-September for all we know) and the (unnecessary) confirmation of all characters being on both system versions, one would assume most of this stuff is done. Yes he said things can still change, but a stage hazard still so incomplete that he's still not showing it yet is just bizarre.

I just don't understand what he could be thinking here. We thought Sakurai revealing stage hazard Ridley after all this time would be cruel. But HINTING his unplayable status after all this time?? And acting coy about it?

...I... I don't know...

I'm not willing to accept this trolling and hinting theory either. Yes Sakurai was being especially trollish and silly this Direct (which I did enjoy and found it hard to be upset at him). But I already put my sword down once before back in August. I'm putting it down for good. At least as far as Smash 4 is concerned. I won't stand in anybody's way if they want to continue to fight the holy fight.

I'm a tired warrior. At the least I can rest before the game comes out. Learning Brawl Ridley's fate right on the eve of the game's release AND the finality of Brawl's roster was a different kind of cruel. I think I can cope just a little better knowing there's still other characters on the horizon. I got Mega Man, I got Rosalina, I still may get Palutena. That's nice...

However...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Still not 100% deconfirmed, but I'm certainly not getting up my hopes.

Also, Ridley could be our R.O.B., or our M. Bison.

Oh, and Sakurai said Zero Suit Samus was cut... then he confirmed her.

Sakurai has been teasing Palutena, Miis, and Mewtwo (the former and latter in the Direct) like a prostitute teases their body.

Anyone drawing conclusions either way is being naive.

"Ness, who has been in smash up until now."
"These ROBs are enemies you may encounter in the Subspace Emissary"
"Zero Suit Samus"

Last edited:

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Chrono, I'd say hold off on including Ridley in Project M untill we get a full, straight deconfirmation. Do remember that Sakurai likes to play with his fans a little.

And don't forget that multiple forms of the Space Pirate commander exist.

Though this lessens Ridley's chances a bit...

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, I'm sorry to say that I don't think Ridley has that much of a chance now. I know we technically don't know for sure now, but it seems much more likely that he isn't in. To think he still could be playable at this point is hoping against the odds, I think...

I'm really sorry to say all this. I hope that I end up being wrong about all of this, but I'm not going to expect Ridley in Smash 4 anymore.

I always did say that there are no locks...

Steelia

Smash Champion
View attachment 11700 Well look thats his tail or claw?
its obviously other m ridley.

I dunno maybe Sakurai didnt wanna make a clone ridley playable and the real ridley still is secret?

I dunno.........straw grasping....i dunno

''Why keep something soooo secret and tease it beyond belief if there is nothing to hide''

cant help but thik this......i dunno...i really dont im lost....
It's his tail.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I...I am so confused how to feel right now. I don't know whether to love all that was shown, hate all that's been given but...I can understand the Ridley situation...I CAN UNDERSTAND RIDLEY'S SITUATION...BUT! BUT!! YOU DO NOT MESS WITH US MEWTWO FANS HERE!
Screenshot_2014-04-09-00-57-36.png

RealTalk........

although i didnt support Greninja i am really happy he is in...but ugh....so many questions...im not gonna ramble here....

thought it was Mewtwo in a cave charging shadow ball......

The hype was blinding me....Durr!! Shadow ball is not blue!!!!!

AcanthusLux

Smash Rookie
I came here convinced that Ridley was done, but having read some of the posts here...

People are going to say its denial...but now I kind of agree that this is ambiguous...

I mean, all Sakurai said was that other stages would also have bosses...that's very broad and could come to mean anything in retrospect. Not that the implication wasn't quite clear, just that an implication might not mean much...

As others have pointed out, this was in the same direct with the ZSS "cut" and fake Palutena trophy (and the mysterious pokemon charging an energy ball, but that example is kind of going in the wrong direction of fake out).

No Ridley in Brawl was a HUGE shock to me. No Ridley in Smash4 would be a disappointment, but its something I'm very much prepared for. So I don't believe its wishful thinking when I say this: Sakurai is pretty clearly aware of the "culture" that surrounds Smash speculation/anticipation, and is having fun with it.

So I don't think its grasping at straws to ask why Sakurai has been beating around the Ridley bush for months without (de)confirming anything. I mean, compare it to how explicit he was with, say, Waluigi. Its not delusional; its looking at Sakurai's behavior overall and making educated guesses from that.

(Incidentally, since I don't own a 3DS or a WiiU, and don't really do console gaming anymore, I'm very much on the fence about whether I'm going to get the next Smash or not. So without any hint of empty threat or petulant tantrum, I can say that Ridley's inclusion or exclusion really might (or might not) determine if I buy the game.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Eh. I'm still hoping on to some hope, though I'm about 75% sure it's a stage hazard. Tough times are approaching for Ridley supporters (and of course shokio is being a jerk on twitter)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm so sorry, guys. Chrono is right, focus your efforts on Project M now, which is being headed by people who seem to actually care about what characters the fans want. Also, hope that the next Smash title is being headed by someone else who's not a TooBigot.

People are already analyzing the shadow over on GameFAQs talking about how it looks like it could be an idle animation, but I'm not swimming up that river at all.
What about the bloody gremlings roaming around!

Sakurai screwed over the BiG 3
MewRidKool

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

As for Smash 4 Wii U, the Wii U is tracking behind even the GameCube, and its sales track record is more in line with the DreamCast (though it will probably start tracking ahead of the Dreamcast once Mario Kart 8 hits). In terms of Smash Bros games, Smash 4 Wii U is probably going to be the worst selling installment to the franchise.

I'm aware of Project M's immense popularity. Maybe someday, I'll be arsed to set it up and try it out. Mewtwo certainly looks sweet. :smirk:

As for the Wii U, I don't yet have the console, but I intend to get one down the line. Sales figures don't really matter to me so long as I can get my hands on the console and its games (SSB4, MK8, Pikmin 3, Zelda U, SM3D World, and so forth). The fact that the the Wii U is not selling hot right now, or risks not improving in the future, is by no means a deterrent to acquiring Smash U (though of course, I would want for the system and its gaming franchises to have as much success as possible, as that benefits everyone).

I also want to get a 3DS, so I might as well get Smash 3DS down the line as well while I'm at it. And all this, Ridley or no Ridley.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

Oh come on, don't say that. Just because one character was deconfirmed doesn't mean smash 4 is gonna suck. Some of you guys seem to be taking this too far. We still have awesome characters like megaman, little mac, and eventually maybe even pac-man who may bring an entire new casual crowd to the series. Don't give up on the game itself yet.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Probably not as sad as I should be considering we nearly had 3 Metroid characters disconfirmed in one fell swoop.

I still believe Sakurai is trolling. Anyone who thinks otherwise is gullible beyond belief.

Even if I'm wrong, I'll be fighting to the bloody end. Bigger upsets have happened, as have bigger plot twists.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Probably not as sad as I should be considering we nearly had 3 Metroid characters disconfirmed in one fell swoop.

I still believe Sakurai is trolling. Anyone who thinks otherwise is gullible beyond belief.

Even if I'm wrong, I'll be fighting to the bloody end. Bigger upsets have happened, as have bigger plot twists.
I'm here until the end as well. Now we know the 3DS one comes out in the summer, so it's less of a wait than originally expected. I don't see the Ridley thing being something he wants to tease unless there's more to it. He knows how huge it is for the fans.

ALL ABOARD DENIAL TRAIN!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Oh come on, don't say that. Just because one character was deconfirmed doesn't mean smash 4 is gonna suck. Some of you guys seem to be taking this too far. We still have awesome characters like megaman, little mac, and eventually maybe even pac-man who may bring an entire new casual crowd to the series. Don't give up on the game itself yet.
Wii U performing poorly is not "Smash 4 sucks" so much as it is a reality.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

...I'm just trying to avoid another heartbreak be realistic here...

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
B-But... No....

This is terrible....

Buuuuuuuut

I still have some hope. Like you all have said, the way Sakurai beat around the bush by not focusing on Ridley at all, and also the ZSS and Pseudo-Palutena fake-outs make me think he's trolling. So I'm gonna fight till the very end, because Ridley deserves to be in Smash more than any other character.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I am still holding onto hope for Ridley. While the video does highly suggest Ridley will appear as a boss on Pyrosphere, there isn't any confirmation yet.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
It's his tail.

Hold on why is his tall so close to the ground like that and did not attack in that picture

Well I can think hes deconfirmed but my head is saying

Wait for a Potd with ridley in it and not playable before I conclude it

(But looking deconfirmed due to the text) oh well there's always 5

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Something is really fishy here, why not show him as a whole?, why just show his shadow?

Just hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

I won't give up until the end.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I'm still hopeful for Ridley. After all, he trolled with Zero Suit, trolled with Palutena and Greninja's shadow looked a lot like Mewtwos. I don't think Ridley is deconfirmed yet, but his chances sure took a hit.

Steelia

Smash Champion
In terms of Smash Bros games, Smash 4 Wii U is probably going to be the worst selling installment to the franchise.
That's bogus.
It's more than likely going to have an even bigger roster than SSBB, it has several Newcomers that have guaranteed new people to try out the franchise (Mega Man, Little Mac), and has many oldies returning that tons of fans love (Sonic, Charizard, etc.). I don't think it'll sell as well as SSBB, largely because not as many people are as interested in the Wii U/don't own the console. But the games will do just fine, with or without one character (Ridley).

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I hope you guys realize that we're now in the exact same position that Toad supporters were in before. Confirmed to be in a role other than playable but not outright disconfirmed due to the lack of an official disconfirmation.

And here's my list of most wanted characters for Smash 4.

Pac-Man
Daitoryo (Who I've all but given up on at this point.)
Toad
Ganon (Who never had a good chance and now has to deal with a separated Sheik and Zelda)
Tiki
Ridley

Takamaru
Palutena
Villager

Now I'm abandoning the Wii U version unless Pac-Man makes it. Not even Takamaru and Palutena combined could make me shell out that much money. I'll still buy the 3DS Version, though. I don't have to buy a console for that.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
That's bogus.
It's more than likely going to have an even bigger roster than SSBB, it has several Newcomers that have guaranteed new people to try out the franchise (Mega Man, Little Mac), and has many oldies returning that tons of fans love (Sonic, Charizard, etc.). I don't think it'll sell as well as SSBB, largely because not as many people are as interested in the Wii U/don't own the console. But the games will do just fine, with or without one character (Ridley).
Wii with its 100 million userbase got Brawl to sell 12 million copies.

Melee which was a launch window title and the GameCube had a installbase end up at around 22 million, got it to sell seven million copies.

Smash 4 Wii U is not only launching later than Melee, but also on a much smaller userbase. The Wii U when its all said and done will only sell around 10-15 million.

People have been attacking me for months on end for saying the Wii U is not selling well, and its latest holiday season was what was seen when the GameCube was on its last legs (GameCube 2005), not in its prime.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Whoa whoa whoa

Who the hell be editing my title?

...I'm just trying to avoid another heartbreak be realistic here...
If you really wanted to accomplish that, you shouldawouldacoulda followed my pessimistic example and expected nothing at all. Weirdly enough, it took this Direct to get me to stop doing that.

I won't say his chances were great from the start, nor are they getting any better now. But if the headache that is Smash Speculation has taught me anything, it's that he's not done just yet. I was there when "Up Until Now" rocked the Ness fans. I was there when Spirit Tracks dismissed Toon Link. And I can now say I was there when Zero Suit Samus was confirmed to not return.

Giving up now because of potential disappointment would be an insult.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Guys, Palutena is gonna be a boss at her temple. :troll:
I am still holding onto hope for Ridley. While the video does highly suggest Ridley will appear as a boss on Pyrosphere, there isn't any confirmation yet.
Regardless, in fighting game history, bosses have been playable before. In fact, it's something of a tradition.

Croco

Smash Lord
I am having a hard time posting this.. oddly.. >_<
I think this confirms him as playable. You can clearly see he picks up pikachu.. look at the size comparison.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
View attachment 11703

RealTalk........

although i didnt support Greninja i am really happy he is in...but ugh....so many questions...im not gonna ramble here....

thought it was Mewtwo in a cave charging shadow ball......

The hype was blinding me....Durr!! Shadow ball is not blue!!!!!
Sakurai is the best goddamn troll ive ever seen, from trolling Ridley fans, Mewtwo fans, Palutena fans, and Zamus fans this man is either an evil genius and will make the masses happy or will be hated for being just plain mean...

Top Bottom