• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'll wait. I'm pretty sure he's not in the game. If he is, fantastic. Hype raised 9000 levels. But I'm not going to get any hopes up.

OdangoKnight

Smash Cadet
That's not his wing, it's Roidley tail tip. But it's brawl Ridley ported over with Roidley textures. HAHA THANKS SAKURAI.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
HEY! It is not over until I see text or her verbal confirmation or even a goddamned picture showing he is clearly a boss! And you shouldn't either! Sure, it seems convincing, but the man is a ****ing troll! This could mean anything! Sure, brace yourself for the worst, but don't accept ANYTHING yet, not until there is confirmation from the man himself our beloved Ridley is deconfirmed! Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna cry over Saki, Samurai Goroh, and Devil's actual graves, not some shallow, half-assed grave dug by the creator of Kirby's Pinball!

Steelia

Smash Champion
What I don't get is - Why didn't he show all of Ridley? He seemed to do that on purpose. Also, I slowed the video down and for a few frames there were wings. I did capture the wings on a image, here they are if any of you want them -

Also, if the worst is true. I'm sorry to you guys. One of the most dedicated fanbases out there.
That looks more like Other M Ridley's tail.
...I think Ridley's boned ]:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I will have a lot more to say on the situation later this week (big essay). Needless to say, this battle isn't over yet (its over for Smash 4, but for the dream of a playable Ridley in Smash Bros. our battle as fans has only just begun).

Keep in mind guys, I have wanted Ridley as a playable character in Smash Bros. longer than anyone else. I am now going on 15 years. Hahaha. Don't be disheartened, use your anger and sorrow as fuel for the real battle ahead. :)
Wow, is this really coming from you, Chrono? Thanks.

This is quite a surprise after the Pyrosphere fiasco last year.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Guys it's not over at ALL... He only showed a SHADOW. If he really wanted to "deconfirm" him he would have shown him in full. Like I have been saying for months now HE IS SAVING RIDLEY FOR LAST.

Plus lets not forget even if he is a hazard Toon Link is a hazard on the Spirit Tracks stage.

Keep hope alive!

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
you know.....The only good thing i found on the video was that the all the stages can be plain....so i wouldn't have to see Roidley flying and being annoying the whole time...and i wouldn't have to see his damn face

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
there's a lot here that seems suspicious. here, I'll leave some things I found here:

- Ridley seems a lot smaller, compared to Brawl AND Yellow Devil.
- Irregular movement patterns for a character that isn't playable.
- Sakurai's constant trolling throughout the direct. I wonder if he knows the consequences....
- DARK SAMUS ASSIST TROPHY this right here is something that means more than a few. Metroid with only 2 characters really could use some more and the top two are seemingly unplayable. what?
- Ridley was not mentioned by name, although mostly everyone else with a big role WAS.
- The shadow was unusually detailed.

Is Ridley Deconfirmed? Maybe. it's very likely he is, but there is room for doubt, and a verdict cannot be placed until some things clear up.

and now for the haters.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
ITS NOT OVER YET!

Sakurai hasnt said Ridley is confirmed as a stage hazard but even if he was it may be meta ridley or we could have a toon link situation on our hands. Did you see the crap he pulled with zamus and the trophies, he had ridley theme on that trophy as a super troll, I dont think sakurai would rub it in this hard if he wasnt a character so dont give up YA GOTTA BELIEVE!!!!

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
The whole thing was a huge bittersweet emotion.
Does Metroid is really doomed with only Samus?
How come they can ignore the kind of franchise Metroid is, to just kill in one shot all of the options given?

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
It's toon link all over again.

Ya I'm still expecting Ridley. Sakurai is just trolling so hard. Anyone who believes this deconfirms him is just being silly.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Here goes my last and most wanted newcommer.
This game was the best chance Ridley had to be playable this far.....
There was nothing, absolutely nothing on his way....And yet...

At least you could have shown us Ridley, Sakurai....

I see you later guys, I need to calm down and think for a minute...

My hype for this game is dead right now, the only way it could be worse for me would be a ROB decomfirmation at this point.
I guess that I will play only Mario Kart 8 this year =/

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
It occurs to me that since the 3DS version is coming out earlier, we'll know the full character roster this summer.

So that's the latest point where the nail will truly be driven into Ridley's coffin (or not). The earliest point would of course be E3.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'm not counting him as de-confirmed until I see all of him

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Guys it's not over at ALL... He only showed a SHADOW. If he really wanted to "deconfirm" him he would have shown him in full. Like I have been saying for months now HE IS SAVING RIDLEY FOR LAST.

Plus lets not forget even if he is a hazard Toon Link is a hazard on the Spirit Tracks stage.

Keep hope alive!
You're a cool guy. Good to some people keep a positive attitude around here. I say we just wait and see.

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys,

In light of the direct, I just want to discuss something. I don't think Ridley is a for sure deconfirmation as playable. I have two reasons for this:

1) Sakurai trolled the Ridley supporters very hard, just like what happened with Palutena and the Pseudo-Palutena troll reveal. There was no direct view of him, and instead we only saw his shadow hover over Pyrosphere. This is a bit strange, as it was only touched on and also teased at the same time. Yes, he had mentioned that bosses will appear on other stages as well, but this leads me into my next point...

2) After seeing the direct, I went back and looked at areas that interested me. One, of course, is the Ridley shadow. Upon watching it again, I noticed that you can actually see part of the Ridley model being used for a brief moment. At first, I thought it was the tip of his wing...so I figured I would go through again and double check. Instead, it was actually the white blade on the end of his tail from his Other M iteration. This leads me to believe that the boss character on Pyrosphere is, of course, Roidley, which makes perfect sense.

What I'm saying is this: There are now THREE different iterations of Ridley in the Metroid universe. Standard Ridley, Meta Ridley, and Other M Ridley. From the direct, we have seen that only ONE of these has been deconfirmed as playable and rendered as a boss.

So, a different Ridley could still be on the playable roster. If so, it would likely be just good ol' Ridley, since Meta Ridley is situational...but even Meta Ridley could still be used as a Final Smash if he's still in. We've already seen that this series combines things from different parts of Metroid...for example, we've now seen Dark Samus from the Prime series as well as Metroids and Mother Brain from the classic side-scrolling games. I don't think it's unreasonable to see two different iterations of the most deserving Metroid character besides Samus.

Those are my thoughts, and I'm not giving up hope on him yet. We got trolled too hard without an actual view of the model. As such, I think there's still reason to believe that he's in as a playable character.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Some of you REALLY think Sakurai and the rest of the development team are dumb enough to constantly **** tease the fanbase of the #1 most requested newcomer just to punch you in the gut once the game finally drops?

If anything I'm even more optimistic about Ridley's chances now. It's almost too obvious at this point. WE ARE PURPOSELY GETTING TEASED.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Here goes my last and most wanted newcommer.
This game was the best chance Ridley had to be playable this far.....
There was nothing, absolutely nothing on his way....And yet...

At least you could have shown us Ridley, Sakurai....

I see you later guys, I need to calm down and think for a minute...

My hype for this game is dead right now, the only way it could be worse for me would be a ROB decomfirmation at this point.
I guess that I will play only Mario Kart 8 this year =/
I'm sorry, but you're acting like a doushe. Don't give up hope, Xhampi!

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Sakurai is either continuing to troll hard, or is being a 100% **** and not outright showing/telling us Ridley's fate.

Regardless, I refuse to believe this is over, but I shall say no more. I will wait in the shadows until the man straight up gives us the answer with no bush-beating.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I am legitimately amused at all the people attacking Sakurai as if he enjoys pissing off his fans as much as possible.

Yes, a character you wanted didn't make it in. Yes, that sucks, and yes, you have every right to be upset. But stop posting childish bull**** like "Sakurai has failed us" or "maybe next time we'll get a developer who actually cares about his fans" and grow the **** up.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
maybe the title should be ["confirmed" as Pyrosphere Boss] with the quotation marks and everything.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Sakurai doesn't want to rip off the band-aid, Sakurai's doing this purposely, we all know this. We know Sakurai knows Ridley's a VERY wanted character, and if anything, Sakurai knows that this is building hype, Ridley's inclusion is a hugely sought-after situation, and this "Dangling of the keys" in front of us surely feels like he wants us to feel this way, he wants us to turn our heads away slightly only to be surprised later on. Everyone was featured by name in their roles on the stage, he was hinted at most...and why? Because Sakurai is hiding something, we know he's hiding something, and we know he's not afraid to pull strings with his fans (Pseudo Palutena anyone?).

I know this sounds optimistic but...I don't really think Ridley's situation has changed at all, I really don't. The signs may not be as strong...but I'll be damned if I don't say that there's definitely still a chance. This HAS to be more than we're being given, it just HAS to be. There's no way Sakurai would leave this just as is, he knows the hype that Ridley brings. However, after seeing how we Mewtwo fans are blatantly being slapped in the face...I'm still uneasy about all this.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It occurs to me that since the 3DS version is coming out earlier, we'll know the full character roster this summer.

So that's the latest point where the nail will truly be driven into Ridley's coffin (or not). The earliest point would of course be E3.
Its over for Smash 4. I have a lot to say. If we want a playable Ridley in Smash Bros. to happen, we need to roll up our own sleeves and ALL of us are going to have to work together.

I have probably the most important piece I have ever worked on ever in regards to Smash Bros. right now. I said earlier that things would be ready later this week. But I will only put together the outline.

Later this month, I will have something grand planned. The complementary game to Smash 4 is not Smash 4 3DS or Smash 4 Wii U, but rather I think its Smash 4 3DS with Project M (or Smash 4 Wii U with Project M for those who have Wii U's).

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Sakurai's trolling throughout the Direct (particularly on ZSS and Sheik), plus seeing only the shadow of Ridley is what I'm hanging onto at this point.

I don't think Toon Link/Alfonzo helps much though. As far as we know, Alfonzo and TL just stand there, Ridley seems like he'll actually be attacking players. I'm not sure what other boss could replace him either..

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think it'd be wise to completely count Ridley out considering how many different versions of him there are which could exist separately from the character as a boss... but his chances have definitely been shaken.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
Battle's not over 'til the fat lady sings. Stay tuned; we'll get our Ridley in the end.

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
Additionally there the fact that at least two other stages have bosses as stage hazards (Kotake and Koume, Dark Emperor) yet they werent shown in that segment, just pyrosphere, why?

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I'm on board with the majority here. Something is just not right with Ridley's "deconfirmation." He was never named, never really shown. It's just too conspicuous. I guarantee Sakurai has something else hidden up his sleeve, and the thing is, it's probably something we haven't even seriously considered. *slow clap for Sakurai*

JediLink

Smash Ace
This whole thing is definitely very suspicious. Why did they only show his shadow? Why was his movement so erratic? If this confirms one thing, it's that Sakurai definitely knows how requested Ridley is.

But hey, even if he's cut I can't be mad. DID YOU GUYS SEE ZAMUS? Holy sheet new main!

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
there's a lot here that seems suspicious. here, I'll leave some things I found here:

- Ridley seems a lot smaller, compared to Brawl AND Yellow Devil.
- Irregular movement patterns for a character that isn't playable.
- Sakurai's constant trolling throughout the direct. I wonder if he knows the consequences....
- DARK SAMUS ASSIST TROPHY this right here is something that means more than a few. Metroid with only 2 characters really could use some more and the top two are seemingly unplayable. what?
- Ridley was not mentioned by name, although mostly everyone else with a big role WAS.
- The shadow was unusually detailed.

Is Ridley Deconfirmed? Maybe. it's very likely he is, but there is room for doubt, and a verdict cannot be placed until some things clear up.

and now for the haters.
Yeah, I had completely forgot about Dark Samus having become an assist character. I was too hype about Megaman's Final Smash. I'm pretty sure I was grinning ear to ear when the they showed it.

Honestly, with the amount of trolling that was going on in the direct, I'm not too sure if Ridley's deconfirmed yet. So I'm going to keep my hopes up for now. Unless he's fully shown as a boss or something.

?????????????

Smash Master
I did a lot of thinking on this.

Ultimately...I've decided to keep Ridley on my roster. Still supporting. Until we hear, "Ridley is not playable," it's still not known for sure.

Top Bottom