• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If you really wanted to accomplish that, you shouldawouldacoulda followed my pessimistic example and expected nothing at all. Weirdly enough, it took this Direct to get me to stop doing that.

I won't say his chances were great from the start, nor are they getting any better now. But if the headache that is Smash Speculation has taught me anything, it's that he's not done just yet. I was there when "Up Until Now" rocked the Ness fans. I was there was Spirit Tracks dismissed Toon Link. And I can now say I was there when Zero Suit Samus was confirmed to not return. Giving up now would be an insult.
I didn't really expect Ridley in this Direct, if that's what you're saying. I did think he had a legitimate shot at being in the game.

If Ridley is playable, then absolutely everyone here has full rights to mock me for giving up hope. I'd be too happy to really care.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
There is still hope for Ridley. The shadow that was seen in the Direct was Super Metroid Ridley. Other M Ridley could still be playable. It could be the same surprise we got from the Train Stage with Toon Link.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It's like I've said on this thread a good while ago. Sakurai would have us think Ridley is a stage hazard at one point with physical proof, only to reveal him (either with an Alfonzo scenario or another Ridley) as playable later.

Who knows, we may indeed have the last laugh in the end.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
My skepticism levels aren't any lower (or higher). I'm not throwing in the towel, but I'm not convinced this is all a clever charade to string us along into playable Ridley. It's just... perplexing. I need to ponder things for a while, perhaps even vomit.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I dunno how my title is wrong. Whether or not Ridley appears in the game in some other capacity, he has still been confirmed to appear on the Pyrosphere stage as a "boss" (I mean, I guess that's how bosses are making their appearance, even if the phrase doesn't quite make much sense in this context).

I said this back when Pyrosphere was first revealed, but this type of appearance is still pretty cool, and I'll be playing on Pyrosphere a lot.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
What if it's actually alfonso in a bio-organic suit of Ridley?

In all seriousness; Whether he's in or not, there is a good reason he didn't reveal all of him yet. He doesn't want the "storm" to hit the fan quite soon; negatively affecting sales.

Regardless, we always have the next installment to look forward to. So that's something at least

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
It's nice to see that some of ya'll still have some hope.
My hope has certainly feels like it's been crushed by an adult blue whale, but some of it still remains un-shattered. I won't give up completely. Just as long as some people are going to stick with it along side me.

Just don't expect me to be as cocky. Nobody should be at this point.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I'm glad I had been pessimistic this whole time.

On an unrelated note, I'm sad that the Pyrosphere will suck because of this ******** hazard. Not only will he have to show his face reminding me he's not playable, but he also has to ruin the stage for me.. Poor Ridley, doing things against his will..

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
ALL ABOARD DENIAL TRAIN!
Gotta wonder what that looks like... A train filled with pitiful looking heads lost in thought... moving backwards along its tracks, into a setting sun. It moves westbound towards a destination located east. It's a dry, parched train that runs on steam. It's scheduled to arrive at its destination any second now. Any second now... Annnny second...

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Guys, Palutena is gonna be a boss at her temple. :troll:

Regardless, in fighting game history, bosses have been playable before. In fact, it's something of a tradition.
Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat... if it can happen there, it can happen in Smash.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
You know, if anyone should be sorry to Ridley fans it should be me.

I...just wanted confirmations that could finally stop the whole "Who deserves to be in and who doesn't" "This character isn't likely."

I asked for there to be something to finally stop all the people thinking they know what the roster would be like...

...And so it happened! The Palutena, Bandana Dee, and more detractors now have barely anything to say against them.

Especially with Ridley out of the picture...Yep...With Ridley gone...The people I look up to and friends now mad...going slightly insane...heartbroken...all the people I wanted to be happy, now crushed...

...This isn't what I wanted, and yet I asked for this...I asked for this, and now everyone suffers.

But hey, at least I might get Bandana Dee! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!...

**** me...

Though...if there is still hope, I can at least try to contribute as much as I can to make up for it...Which is nothing...

*sigh*

I apologize from the bottom of my heart...

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
Another thing:

It mentioned that 'boss characters appear in other stages'. That's very non-specific. It shows Pyrosphere, which alludes to the fact that perhaps a boss appears there, and also shows Ridley's shadow slowly hover by, stop for a moment, and then continue.

So the implication is that we are supposed to put 2 and 2 together and come up with the fact that the boss appearing on the stage MUST be Ridley because those portions of information are shown in the same clip...but that could easily not be the case. Perhaps he IS a boss on that stage at some point as a part of say, classic mode, but you unlock him after the fight? Or maybe a boss does indeed happen on Pyrosphere, but it's something besides Ridley.

I'm just thinking of the Palutena trick he pulled. We see Palutena as a trophy, so obviously we think she's not playable. Then BAM, it's Pseudo-Palutena. Perhaps this is just a drawn out version of that sort of joke, where we don't get the punchline until, say, E3. :)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
What about the bloody gremlings roaming around!

Sakurai screwed over the BiG 3
MewRidKool
What? If anything I feel like the Kremlings make K Rool more likely than ever... But that's not for this thread...

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
There is still hope for Ridley. The shadow that was seen in the Direct was Super Metroid Ridley. Other M Ridley could still be playable. It could be the same surprise we got from the Train Stage with Toon Link.
Look at the wing spikes. It's Other M Ridley dude.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Da Nile is not just a river that flows through Africa, its also one that flows through this thread.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
My hope for Ridley and Mewtwo has hit an all time low.
Mewtwo is 100% coming back.
Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat... if it can happen there, it can happen in Smash.
Especially since the Tekkken people are making it, Mario and Luigi are basically Ryu and Ken (compare their original special moves in Smash 64), and Mortal Kombat is well... a game smash can steal off, since Rosalina is Eddie from Guilty Gear, Wii Fit Trainer is a Virtua Fighter character, and Greninja is a TBA fighting game character.

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
After reading some of your guys' posts, I'm not sure whether this deconfirms Ridley or not. I do however find it interesting that out of all of the potential stage hazards, bosses, and other elements Sakurai has up his sleeve he decided to show us only a shadow of Ridley. At least now we know that Sakurai has knowledge of the conflict surrounding Ridley.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I'm a little surprised everyone is jumping ship on Ridley right now. He's been teasing Ridley and Pyrosphere forever, and yet again he avoided outright showing Ridley himself. If he's just a stage hazard/boss why not just get it out of the way already? Seemed to me it's just more trolling from Sakurai and that there's still more to the story, else he would have straight deconfirmed him like so many other characters today.

?????????????

Smash Master
Da Nile is not just a river that flows through Africa, its also one that flows through this thread.
I thought about whether or not I was in denial, but I don't think I am. It's more...cautious. I don't want to throw out my ideas before they're confirmed false. Waluigi? Pretty clear. Ridley? Not so clear yet. We've had stranger situations with Toon Link and ROB, so it's not that I'm "holding out" for Ridley, rather than legitimately not fully convinced one way or the other yet.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Warning Received
I am not going to participate in the mental gymnastics olympics, and instead actually put forth something practical going forward. You guys can keep believing whatever you want until Sakurai finally gives you guys a full frontal assault of Stage Hazardley, but for the rest of us, we will get Ridley in Smash Bros.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Mewtwo is 100% coming back.
Well greninja hurt him a little but not that much

Because brawl had 6 playables we have 4 so far ivysaur and squirtle are no brainers as of now the first ever characters confirmed kicked so jigglypuff and mewtwo could be the gaps which is simply being 6 playable pokemon again

Croco

Smash Lord
After reading some of your guys' posts, I'm not sure whether this deconfirms Ridley or not. I do however find it interesting that out of all of the potential stage hazards, bosses, and other elements Sakurai has up his sleeve he decided to show us only a shadow of Ridley. At least now we know that Sakurai has knowledge of the conflict surrounding Ridley.
I don't support ridley at all.. never did.. but after seeing this.. I am admitting that he might be playable.

Sakruai trolled everyone with zero suit samus.
. There have been many mentions of size issues.. and saying how odd the world of smash is. anything can happen.. it was in a few of the miiverse posts.

If this helps..

moments later VERY QUICKLY..

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I'll start off and say is it other m or classic ridley??
Also I think this ridley in the trailer is not playable but there are so many versions, he has a chance they would announce someone like him or mewtwo at E3. I feel mewtwos odd have lowered with geninja or whatever his name is.

Finally if he doesn't truly deconfirm ridley and lets the character go un announced until the 3ds this summer, and he is actually not in the game. I will lose some respect for hyping the most popular character for smash right now just to not announce him. Its not right.
Just don't completley thing ridley is not playable nothing has been announced yet.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Do remember this exists ladies and gentlemen, Clone Ridley and Real Ridley are still two different characters. This is not an impossibility, and to call us in denial for having faith that this is more than is left on is blatantly ignorant.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
*coughwedidthiswithToadtoo*
Toad is a species...Ridley is a character with a clone...two very different situations. And as narrow-minded as some wish to be, you can't look at me with a straight face and tell me that this purposely avoiding Ridley in mentions and name is normal.

Scarce on knowledge about Pyrosphere
Mentions size changes
All other potential Metroid newcomers FULLY deconfirmed via assist trophy (Dark Samus)
Ridley hinted, but not named off and fully revealed...

Putting two and two together isn't hard here, Sakurai is definitely not telling us something. I'm still leaning towards another case of Tron Bonne Syndrome (Any player of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about)

Last edited:

OdangoKnight

Smash Cadet
Four trophies. Tiki for Chrom or someone, Pseudo-Palutena for Palutena, Fi for Ghirahim, Khi Hunters for Ridley. I can't sleep I've entered maximal delusion.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I dunno how my title is wrong. Whether or not Ridley appears in the game in some other capacity, he has still been confirmed to appear on the Pyrosphere stage as a "boss" (I mean, I guess that's how bosses are making their appearance, even if the phrase doesn't quite make much sense in this context).

I said this back when Pyrosphere was first revealed, but this type of appearance is still pretty cool, and I'll be playing on Pyrosphere a lot.
It's not whether it's right or wrong, it's that you edited it. ;-;
I am not going to participate in the mental gymnastics olympics, and instead actually put forth something practical going forward. You guys can keep believing whatever you want until Sakurai finally gives you guys a full frontal assault of Stage Hazardley, but for the rest of us, we will get Ridley in Smash Bros.
That's fine and all if you're really that opinionated on the matter, but I suggest you stop venting it out on those who think otherwise.

Top Bottom