• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You say that as though it will actually make any Ridley supporters see a shadow as a confirmation/deconformation of anything.
Don't worry... the game is not finalized... they could just remove the stage hazard and make it playable. *shakingly fidgeting hands* Calm yourself, Arcadenik... do what Wii Fit Trainer does.... *deep breathing and then sun salutation*

Croco

Smash Lord
Until I see Ridley clear as day as a boss or if Sakurai says.. "Ridley is a boss only" then I will believe he isn't playable.

I didnt want ridley playable in melee, brawl, and now.. but after seeing this and being teased.. etc. It is possible.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I want to know now what is the verdict here? necause I'm going to be honest the way he showed it is just too ambiguous. so you're showing yellow devil but not ridley? we only saw his shadow and despite the fact that it was showed during talks of boss hazards, you have to tell let's assume he was a stage hazard so you're confirming yellow devil as hazard (some think it wasn't) by explaining everything he does but if ridley would be an hazard why he simply didn't show him? it makes no sense to reveal him as an hazard so implicitly when you clearly tell that there will be boss character as hazards.

and also I have a big question why I can't even tell if it's meta ridley or ridley? this one I have big problems with like let's just imagine it was meta ridley, it could be a toon link effect when ridley is playable right?

Tbh upon thinking about it, my verdict is clear: I'm going to assume he's an hazard BUT I don't think his story ends there and I'm wondering if the true story will make his role change

so, what do you think about it?

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I think we should all stop clinging on to it now, Ridley unfortunately won't be playable this time....again..... Shokio made it worse with a video mocking Ridley supporters afterwards, what an A-Hole.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I find even more offensive the yellow boots. Is like saying that Zamus is not capable of doing acrobatic things without he boots, They could have made her new up-b a pop-up thing like Diddy's rocketbarrel, but NO! out of design stupid boots forever!.
We got the real deserving baynoetta

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Remember when it was "over" for Toon Link as well?

This isn't a deconfirmation people. Stop acting like it's set in stone.
I hope it's true, but it's unlikely that a character built up to be a Yellow Devil-like boss would be Toon Link'd.

Whelp.

Ah well. Sakurai's dumb. But hey, good thing I got my wish about Zelda and Sheik being two different characters now.

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
There is still hope for Ridley. The shadow that was seen in the Direct was Super Metroid Ridley. Other M Ridley could still be playable. It could be the same surprise we got from the Train Stage with Toon Link.
No it wasn't, it was Other M Ridley, you can easily tell by the 1 frame we see his tail in. So maybe we'll still get super metroid ridley.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
This was a punch in the gut to Metroid fans, even if Sakurai pulls a 180 on Ridley and makes him playable. ZSS deconfirmed, then confirmed with...rocket boots? Ridley as a boss, but I'm holding out hope that he's trolling. Dark Samus, the one other possible shot to be a Metroid character, definitely confirmed as an assist trophy. I only hope if Ridley is deconfirmed for certain that K Rool or Galacta Knight is confirmed as a playable character. Lots of trolling in that vid, so I'm praying Ridley was also trolling...but I'm not sure what will happen. Here's hoping the next Direct/E3 brings better news.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
This isn't anything we weren't prepared for. Remember When Alfonzo was on the train when Toon Link was being played and every god damn one of you in this thread was like "ohmagawd even if Ridley is a stage hazard, that doesn't mean he can't be playable" and then the second it's shown that he's on a stage being hazardous, half of you ***** out.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Eh, I think it's better to wait until he's completely de-confirmed. For all we know, we might be getting bamboozled into thinking he's a boss. You know how many times Sakurai trolled in this one trailer? Because I counted like a good four or five. Not trying to sound too hopeful though, but I'm not giving up either. I'm simply waiting.

Also, the whole "there's more than one Ridley" thing isn't gonna help. He's merely been teased at. If he's not playable, we'll know. If Ridley, by some chance is magically playable, we'll know. But right now, nothing is set in stone.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
If this is for a boss battle mode, seeing as Yellow Devil has been known since day 1 of Smash Bros 4's reveal, and this has been something in the game for a long time...and we've seen the Pyrosphere stage for 7 months now...why wouldn't you go into revealing this style of boss with one of Nintendo's most prime antagonists? Why would you hide Ridley when it's clear he's been hinted at time and time again but never set in stone? Why keep the hype going and not just ruin the dreams right away? We saw no problem in removing Dark Samus and Mother Brain from play blatantly as assist trophies, and now here we are, 7 months later and we're given a hint at Ridley's future...WHY NOT JUST TELL US?! Sakurai doesn't want his fans disappointed, if a character isn't going to be playable...they're shown off as not playable (Condolences to Waluigi fans) right away. Ridley hasn't been named, his position has not been told, and continues to be a key dangled in front of our face. Face it people, Sakurai doesn't do this kind of thing for background characters.

And trust me, after seeing Smash 4 is willing to go outside of Other M in representation of characters (Dark Samus really does stand out), a Super Metroid playable Ridley is NOT impossible. Besides, if you were Ridley...wouldn't you want to destroy your pathetic clone ALA Godzilla literally tearing apart Zilla? :p

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Taking into account that this could go either way, him being playable or just a stage boss/hazard.
He still grabbed pikachu, a playable character. When compared to Yellow devil, that's a notch higher on the interactivity scale and this in turn makes me think of bosses like giga bowser from melee. (Since the only other accountable example of a smash boss that grabs is master glove himself)

Kinda makes me want there to be a for-fun type mode where one player gets to control a boss while other players clash with it.
Could easily be made into a mode given the nature of these consoles in question.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think we should all stop clinging on to it now, Ridley unfortunately won't be playable this time....again..... Shokio made it worse with a video mocking Ridley supporters afterwards, what an A-Hole.
Did I just hear something that sounded like laughing at the end of that video? I am deaf and I was wearing hearing aids... so I wanted to make sure I heard it correctly.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I couldn't stay upset any longer....so i tried to do a little simple comic to cheer me up....for Ridley's sake...

SCAN0140.JPG

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
Kotake & Koume, Dark Emperor, Viridi(sort of)  = All boss character hazards that could have been shown during this segment but weren't

Groose

Smash Champion
...the Ridley we saw isn't playable. It goes against everything we have established. The Ridley in the Direct flies as his method of transportation, but we've talked about how he would work a lot better as a grounded fighter.

Just throwing that out there.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
This was a punch in the gut to Metroid fans, even if Sakurai pulls a 180 on Ridley and makes him playable. ZSS deconfirmed, then confirmed with...rocket boots? Ridley as a boss, but I'm holding out hope that he's trolling. Dark Samus, the one other possible shot to be a Metroid character, definitely confirmed as an assist trophy. I only hope if Ridley is deconfirmed for certain that K Rool or Galacta Knight is confirmed as a playable character. Lots of trolling in that vid, so I'm praying Ridley was also trolling...but I'm not sure what will happen. Here's hoping the next Direct/E3 brings better news.
Indeed, a dark day for Metroid fans, what's next?

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
This might sound far fetched but what if it's Ridleys final smash to get bigger highly unlikely but oh we'll.
Also if ridley is in the metroid does not have a new rep, adding Adam or Anthony would be plain stupid especially with dark samus out of the way.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I legitimately teared up a little. Don't know about you guys, but this Snagret is gonna stand by our beloved purple space dragon till the bitter end.
It may be nuts...but this squirrel agrees. :p (Hah, joke, laugh to lighten up the mood...I know it's not funny)

Regardless, I have a video to make, to boost the morale!

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Indeed, a dark day for Metroid fans, what's next?
Metroid: The Other Other M. Seems they love Other M over at Smash, surprising since it still is disliked by a good bit of the community, myself included, to put it lightly

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
There's no way in h*ll that K. Rool would get in before Ridley. Nada. Zip. Zero. Ridley is way more popular and relevant to his series than K Rool is to Donkey Kong (as of recent anyway).

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Here's my assessment. Why in the hell wouldn't he just rip the band-aid off and say "Ridley is a boss on Pyrosphere"? He knows how popular this character is, he knows people will be disappointed, why wouldn't he just tell us instead of showing only a shadow and not even mentioning the character casting it? That moves from "trolling" right into "taunting", and I don't think Sakurai is that petty. Ridley is still in this until we get a clear disconfirmation, which this was not. He didn't even technically appear on screen. Sakurai is teasing us, just like he did with the Pseudo-Palutena trophy. I don't think I'm in denial, and these are clearly straws that Sakurai wanted us to grasp, otherwise Ridley's appearance would not have been so cryptic.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Man, this is why I love you guys. Reading this thread made me very happy, honestly.

I don't expect him at all anymore. Even though I had very little expectations to begin with, the salt and butthurt still came to me (not just Ridley either, a lot of what was shown I thought was fairly unimpressive overall. <3 Sheik and ZSS though). I may even go as far as to say that expecting him now is borderline wishful thinking and grasping at straws.

But I love how you guys haven't given up hope. It isn't an official deconfirm, after all. But I hope you guys also be a bit realistic about the situation at hand here, since I don't want to see more crushed and shaken hopes. Sakurai...isn't really as much as a troll as people make him out to be. Hardly a troll, I would say. 95% of Sakurai's "trolling" isn't actually trolling at all, but just him being outside of our predictions. Just because he's unpredictable doesn't mean he intentionally misleads people for the ****s and giggles. I'll gladly eat my own words if Sakurai really did troll, but as far as I'm concerned Ridley was (ironically) robbed, he has more going against him then for him now: his chances of being a Stage Hazard is more likely then him playable.

I will admit, I'm only going with the information that I have. Since Ridley wasn't seen, and the whole situation with Toon Link, Ridley still being playable is within the realm of possibility. But until I see that, the evidence points to the contrary and unfortunately isn't looking very good for the Pirate Leader.

I'll keep supporting him from the sidelines of course, and man was this thread (and everyone in here) awesome. In fact, I hope this thread still thrives harder because of it. Even though this is just a forum at the corners of the internet, I hope we can show our support for Ridley even more and hope we made our voices heard.

Just remember though. If Ridley is a stage hazard, it's not because he was "too big" or anything. Shokio, and people who come to similar rationales are not the reason why Ridley isn't playable. Like I've said before: they are irrelevant. Nothing is against Ridley's inclusion except for maybe Sakurai himself, as he may hold firm to the belief that he is more fitting to be just a boss. Which is unfortunate, but there is nothing that can be done.

It shall be interesting to see what becomes of this. If Ridley is done for, I would really like to know why Sakurai thinks two different versions of Samus is adequate for Metroid. Until I get an answer (doubt I will) I won't lie in saying that that the stuff shown in the direct (including Ridley's possible fate) dropped a lot of interest I had for the game (of course, doesn't mean there weren't some cool stuff shown off too).

I'll just wait and see what happens, but for now I am admittedly pretty damn confused at Sakurai's rationale behind it. Even if he is trolling us, why do that? That's a really **** move imo, and I don't really agree with how its being handled.

It's over, Ridley supporters. All of your hopes and dreams... he has crushed them!
RIDLEY IS BIG AS **** AND A BOSS!

I see. Thank you, Mr. Shokio. I can no officially declare Ridley to be decon--

I refuse to listen to this court's ruling.

Why... Mr. Wright? What is the meaning of this?

All of you. You're forgetting the one basic rule of good lawyering.
Believe in your client until the bitter end!

It is the end. Ridley is reconfirmed.
We've already seen him!

I didn't see Ridley. All I saw was a shadow.
And I now know that there isn't a shadow of a chance of him not being playable.

Supporters! Don't abandon Ridley in his moment of need!
We have to turn things around and approach them from a different angle!

...Mr. Wright... are you sure you want to do this?

...I think so...

I'm dead certain, Your Honor! And I come with evidence!

Point number one: the shadow does not behave like a boss. He seems to stop
and idle in the middle of the stage. It seems like someone is controlling him.

All bosses idle, dummy. That's how you hit them.
Also, Tabuu idled in the middle of the stage.
There IS precedent!

Point two: the design of Ridley's shadow corresponds to Meta
Ridley, not regular Ridley. Just look at the spikes on his wings.

Characters get redesigned all the time!
You Ridley supporters like to point that out when you downsize him,
don't you?

Point three: Ridley's shadow was the only thing shown.
Why not show off Ridley himself? Why not just make the blow quick?

Well, that could be...

...be quiet, naysayer!

...like I was saying. We have to approach things from outside of the box!
The question isn't why didn't Sakurai show Ridley...
it's why he had to only show his shadow!

He couldn't show him because it would mean ending the suspense!
Sakurai has been teasing Ridley from day one! He is still doing so!

RIDLEY WILL PLAYABLE!

...in actuality, I am just very confused right now. I will continue to hold out hope... something I refused to do following Toad's reveal. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, even if he is probably a boss.
Fantastic post. Cheered me up a bit. :)

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I legitimately teared up a little. Don't know about you guys, but this Snagret is gonna stand by our beloved purple space dragon till the bitter end.
well, I'm with you!

might be because all my most wanted are already disconfirmed, might as well.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
There's no way in h*ll that K. Rool would get in before Ridley. Nada. Zip. Zero. Ridley is way more popular and relevant to his series than K Rool is to Donkey Kong (as of recent anyway).
You're starting a battle you cannot win.

SolarStar

Smash Rookie
Okay, two things: One, I think this is my first post here! Hi!
Second: I was watching the part of the trailer with Ridley again, and I either noticed or imagined something kinda strange, and I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything here.
Here's the trailer, shortly before Ridley shows up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs#t=422
Notice how Ridley moves. He sort of... meanders in, stopping at the middle of the stage, dawdles a moment, does something-- grabbing Pikachu, I think? And after a second, wanders off... in the same direction as he was going in.
Compare that to how Ridley fights in Brawl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iJP8TtY3eig#t=43
Stays at the edge, attacks very aggressively and covers the whole stage, and then flies up the top of the screen to reset his position on either side of the stage. Granted, this may be beta programming for a Boss character whose movements aren't finalized, but... Ridley doesn't -move- like a Smash Bros boss here. He moves like a character being controlled-- or at least in my opinion.
Sorry again if I'm just rehashing anything or I'm wrong, but that's my take. I don't wanna say this proves anything, but that's the hope I'm clinging to until we know for sure.

Top Bottom