• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Remember Smash is non-canon.
You need to look past that.

Common sense dictates, that with everything else taking inspiration from Other M...the character design, the stage design...it would have been Other M Ridley as playable. All Zelda characters (save for Toon Link because that is his niche) share a series design. It's not like one is from OoT and other from TP. It's all the same.

Ridley is a stage hazard, and I'm sure he will be amazing as one. I'm hyped to play on Pyrosphere simply for that fact alone.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
In Melee, it was perfectly understandable that Ridley wouldn't make the cut; Super Metroid was the big name of the Metroid franchise at the time, and Ridley was only slightly more important the likes of Kraid, Phantoon, and Draygon.

In Brawl, Ridley was given more spotlight thanks to Prime and Fusion, though I feel like Sakurai really wanted to see what Ridley would look like on the field of battle before making him playable; first by modeling an assist trophy, then abandoning the concept for a boss battle.

But now, after all the fan requests and constant teasing, there's really no excuse to relegate Ridley's importance to Metroid to a mere stage hazard.

But if he is a stage hazard and Sakurai is as spiteful as we make him out to be...at least he's still doing what he does best.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Wouldn't that contradict the fact that there's no more changeable characters in this games? (via moves like Down B and Final Smashes, at least)
Lucario's FS was a Mega-Evolution, so it's not completely ruled out. What else would Charizard's FS be? Flameburst spamming? It seems like they aim to include Mega-Evolutions and XY stuff, hence Greninja, Gogoat, Fennekin, etc.

Scoliosis, I'm setting myself up for disappointment with my expectations for the next actual Metroid game, not for Ridley as a possible playable character. I hope Sakurai was trolling, but if he wasn't, hopefully someone else gets in that deserves it. I think Metroid deserves a secondary, non-protagonist character, seeing as every other series practically has one. Dark Samus was confirmed as an assist trophy, so there goes what most people thought was going to have a shot at getting in. Having hope for pretty much the only real shot left at getting that other Metroid character is unrealistic, but hope never dies with me, at least.

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
Quick question guys: if Ridley's not the boss of Pyrosphere, then what is?
Well who knows, it might be some old Metroid boss that lurks in heated areas, like Kraid or crocomire. And before you try to argue with me about this, remember the balloon fighter fish in ice climbers stage in brawl.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
he never confirms that the stage has one in truth
I dunno, I'd say that's reaching. That shadow was clearly Ridley, and it was during his speech that other stages had bosses too. And the stages was also clearly Pyrosphere. To say that it wasn't is ignoring the facts.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
You said that you thought Metroid-SSB fans getting punched in the gut was funny. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's another way to look at that statement.
Please understand, there were many people that because of this:

Acted like: OMG RIDLEY CONFIRMED!
When if you actually use a bit your brain, you must realize eventually that there is not connection between:
*Metroid AT confirmed.
*Ridley playable character.

About Metroid series, im weird, my favorite game of that series is Metroid Prime Hunters, i know that it feels like a separated game of the series. But i think that it looks in the correct direction in one thing, Metroid needs more playable characters. And Smash needs Sylux.

luismvg

Smash Cadet
Someone put Sakurai's face in this:

I honestly think he was just trolling and when the big reveal come, this is going to be your reaction (to Ridley fans):

I hope. :)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I blame Alfonzo for this. If it weren't for him, we wouldn't be rationalizing possibilities and telling others to give up.

Plus, not the first time a character appeared with himself as a stage hazard.

Yes, I know it isn't the same thing, but let me dream.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
The amount of denial in here upsets me.

Listen, I get that you guys are upset, but there are a few things you guys should know. Sakurai when referring to characters who were bosses, hinted at Ridley with his shadow. It was about Bosses. BOSSES. This isn't some sort of ploy. It is about bosses. It is Other M Ridley, because it is an Other M stage. That is inarguable.

What logic would there be in Sakurai having the Super Metroid Ridley as the playable character when you have Samus, the main character of Metroid as her Other M version? Ridley is her nemesis. Him having a completely different design would be outright strange and would certainly not fit.

DO NOT. I REPEAT, DO NOT continue to set yourselves up for disappointment. Some of you say he wasn't shown because it means something. What about that scene in Metroid Prime? The one where you see his shadow on the ground? Same thing.

He isn't playable. I am a full supporter of Ridley. But I'm facing facts here. Pour you heart and soul into other characters. This probably sounds like I'm being an a-hole, but I'm being honest. This is going to get sad if you guys are going to start grasping so hard at straws.

I understand you guys don't want to have to say that "Ridley isn't playable" after so long. But the time has come. You've fought hard, but it's over.
This Ridley pyrosphere boss thing was such an obvious troll that it's practically 100% confirmed now that he's a playable character. :troll:

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
I blame Alfonzo for this. If it weren't for him, we wouldn't be rationalizing possibilities and telling others to give up.

Plus, not the first time a character appeared with himself as a stage hazard.

Yes, I know it isn't the same thing, but let me dream.
Actually those two characters are not the same.

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman

When if you actually use a bit your brain, you must realize eventually that there is not connection between:
*Metroid AT confirmed.

About Metroid series, im weird, my favorite game of that series is Metroid Prime Hunters, i know that it feels like a separated game of the series. But i think that it looks in the correct direction in one thing, Metroid needs more playable characters. And Smash needs Sylux.
They only thought it was connected is because that was 1 day before the direct of today.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I don't think anyone is denying that the shadow belonged to Ridley. but rather the context. He did mentioned bosses, but it could be anything from stage hazard to actual boss battle(s) to Ridley being a playable boss (that Poison/Super Mushroom idea here would go just lovely with all the trolling). Furthermore people are questioning the ruling that "being x mean they can't be y" as evident with the Toon Link/Spirit Tracks (and DK/DK which I forgot about until now) cameo. Getting us all to accept defeat only to hit us out of nowhere with "loljk he's playable" would be the ZSS situation amplified a thousandfold. It's not anymore likely than it sounds, but it's not unreasonable to have hope.

Honestly I think that the people who have given up hope/are telling others to do the same are just as bad as the detractors making fun of us/other disconfirmed characters. I think it's probably a good idea for said people to take a break from this thread for a while rather than just drowning themselves and others in self-pity and claiming we're in denial.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

*Metroid AT confirmed.

I never jumped, even when the great Mama Brain was confirmed as an assist trophy, to that conclusion. I don't think any of the Hunters will make an appearance in Smash 4 as anything other than a trophy, like in Brawl. However, if Sylux makes it over Ridley as a playable character, I'll say you totally called it, because unless Hunters 2 is also a big reveal at E3, I think that's darn near impossible, but I have been wrong before.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
It could be a playable ridleys shadow, or we could have a toon link situation.
The way it moved, in a direct straight line horizontally in the air, flying, dictates to me that it's a scripted object moving around the stage, not a playable character. The shadow's movements were very static and rigid, whereas playable characters are much more erratic than that. Also, why would he show a shadow of a playable character when he's talking about bosses appearing on other stages? It just doesn't make sense. Sakurai is a troll, but he wouldn't downright lie to the fanbase just to upset them.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
this just proves sakurai don't know what the hell he is doing, yes lets make the most wanted newcomer in the west a stage hazard

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The way it moved, in a direct straight line horizontally in the air, flying, dictates to me that it's a scripted object moving around the stage, not a playable character. The shadow's movements were very static and rigid, whereas playable characters are much more erratic than that. Also, why would he show a shadow of a playable character when he's talking about bosses appearing on other stages? It just doesn't make sense. Sakurai is a troll, but he wouldn't downright lie to the fanbase just to upset them.
...Actually, he did exactly that with Zero Suit Samus.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I still see an extremely small chance for Ridley. But I'm not setting myself up for disappointment, I'm well aware that he's practically confirmed as a boss.. It's just hope and wishful thinking. I just want Sakurai to stop dragging this out, just outright say "Ridley is a boss" already.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
But the shadow is clearly original Ridley shadow, meaning that Ugly Other M Ridley is the only remain option... xD
Eh, this picture of his tail resembles Clone Ridley's barbed tail over the original's spade-shaped one...

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
...Actually, he did exactly that with Zero Suit Samus.
But he corrected it like two seconds afterwards and said he was kidding. :p He did not do that with Ridley.

Much like other people in this thread, I'm really not trying to be rude or mean. Honestly. I'd just hate to see Ridley supporters get their hopes up just to be dashed down again. Unless we get any other clues stating otherwise, it appears as though Ridley is a stage hazard boss. That's the way it appears to me, and it seems to have been made pretty clearly.

I still see an extremely small chance for Ridley. But I'm not setting myself up for disappointment, I'm well aware that he's practically confirmed as a boss.. It's just hope and wishful thinking. I just want Sakurai to stop dragging this out, just outright say "Ridley is a boss" already.
Agreed. Sakurai doing this is just bringing more annoyance to Ridley fans than it is doing good. I know he's trying to keep certain aspects of the game hidden, but this whole thing honestly felt like a slap to the face with a smile afterward. It's confusing.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
There's still hope. Sakurai never said he was a boss.

I already thought he would do this anyway: tease him as a hazard and then reveal him. So my hopes haven't died.

Groose

Smash Champion
What's important isn't whether you can see the future or not. It's the will to make a choice and the strength to seize your destiny! No matter how hard you try to break us, this game is ours to control, Sakurai!
This isn't the end. While we should no longer expect Ridley to appear in this game as anything other than a boss, we should continue to want and demand that he appear in a future Smash Bros. game. We will not roll over like a normal fan base; we are supporters of Ridley! We outnumber the stars and roar louder than any dragon! Don't stop speculating about Ridley; we must be as vocal as possible to insure that we change the future of the next Smash Bros. games. Continue taking up the blade against the Toobigots, carry on with the Ridley artwork; continue posting your support as wide as far as possible. We WILL have Ridley in the next game, no questions asked.

Remember, we are no strangers to disappointment. We've met with this fate for two or even three games in a row now, but our legions only grow with each installment in the series. Our troops this time outnumbered even our Brawl legion; we must insure that we're even bigger for next time. Sakurai has definitely taken notice of us by now; all we need to do is convince him for next time!

Ask not what Ridley can do for you in SSB4; ask what you can do for Ridley in SSB5!

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but here's some evidence proving Pyrosphere Ridley is "Roidley" / Other M Ridley:

Pausing at the perfect moment in the direct reveals what is presumably the end of Ridley's tail entering the frame:

None of Ridley's numerous designs feature a white spike at the end of his tail

Except for one, and that's Other M Ridley:

As many have noted, Other M Ridley is actually only a clone of the "real" Ridley from most of the other Metroid games. So technically, they are separate characters. Much like Wind Waker Toon Link is a separate character from Spirit Tracks Toon Link, or Arcade Donkey Kong is a different character from modern Donkey Kong. Make of this what you will.

Last edited:

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
What's important isn't whether you can see the future or not. It's the will to make a choice and the strength to seize your destiny! No matter how hard you try to break us, this game is ours to control, Sakurai!
This isn't the end. While we should no longer expect Ridley to appear in this game as anything other than a boss, we should continue to want and demand that he appear in a future Smash Bros. game. We will not roll over like a normal fan base; we are supporters of Ridley! We outnumber the stars and roar louder than any dragon! Don't stop speculating about Ridley; we must be as vocal as possible to insure that we change the future of the next Smash Bros. games. Continue taking up the blade against the Toobigots, carry on with the Ridley artwork; continue posting your support as wide as far as possible. We WILL have Ridley in the next game, no questions asked.

Remember, we are no strangers to disappointment. We've met with this fate for two or even three games in a row now, but our legions only grow with each installment in the series. Our troops this time outnumbered even our Brawl legion; we must insure that we're even bigger for next time. Sakurai has definitely taken notice of us by now; all we need to do is convince him for next time!

Ask not what Ridley can do for you in SSB4; ask what you can do for Ridley in SSB5!
We are Ridley. The other are the Ridley Detractors.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Will do, Groose F. Kennedy.

Just thought I'd quickly mention the fact that the platforms on Pyrosphere should have blocked some of Ridley's shadow, but it didn't, which means that video was taken on the Final Destination version of Pyrosphere.

There aren't any hazards on the Final Destination version of stages.

What exactly can he do for us in the 3DS version?
Actually, the 3DS version is SSB4, since it comes out in the Summer, and WiiU is SSB5, since it is Winter.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Will do, Groose F. Kennedy.

Just thought I'd quickly mention the fact that the platforms on Pyrosphere should have blocked some of Ridley's shadow, but it didn't, which means that video was taken on the Final Destination version of Pyrosphere.

There aren't any hazards on the Final Destination version of stages.
Quite the perceptive find, if true.

10/10, would ponder again. :shades:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Again, I digress. I AM a Ridley supporter, but I frankly do not see this turning around in our favor.

I won't go any further than that. But I would not expect that to happen.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Again, I digress. I AM a Ridley supporter, but I frankly do not see this turning around in our favor.

I won't go any further than that. But I would not expect that to happen.
Bidoof might have cracked the case if that is indeed true. However, I share your doubt that this is a joke.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Quite the perceptive find, if true.

10/10, would ponder again. :shades:
I'd also like to point out that the way Ridley flies seems a bit closer to how a playable character flies (like Pit in Brawl). It kinda has a continuous flap-flap-flap-flap motion to it.
If he were a stage hazard/boss thing, I'd see him with quicker and agile movements, for example, he would zoom by in an arrow-like movement in the video, instead of in a one-directional upright flapping motion, where he comes to an immediate stop at the end.

Also, if he were a boss, wouldn't he stop for a bit and do some attacks once reaching the end of the stage? In the Direct, he halts to a stop, and then continues right away in the same flapping motion.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I wanna believe that all this is true, but my mind cannot until Sakurai confirms due to doubt. Hope is what I'm hanging on.

Top Bottom