• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm not trying to pick a fight, but that wasn't all you said. You also called everyone you disagreed with sycophants. That is objectionable.
I did not specifically label anyone, but honestly its pretty sycophantic to say that people have no right to be upset with one of Sakurai's decisions or go something a bad move.

And honestly, making Ridley a stage hazard is a bad move.

You may like the rest of Smash 4, but honestly that would be a pretty dumb decision there. I think any fan of Ridley can pretty much agree with me on that that Ridley far much better fit to be playable than yet another NPC role.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Also...Gamescom is today, and I think Nintendo is going to be there for a few things right? Everyone hold your horses. This ain't over yet :)
Would love Sakurai to pull a big surprise at Gamescon, would simply be the best. Though I'm sure we'd be at a loss for words if we get an daily image which has nothing to do with Ridley or the stage tommorow.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Would love Sakurai to pull a big surprise at Gamescon, would simply be the best. Though I'm sure we'd be at a loss for words if we get an daily image which has nothing to do with Ridley or the stage tommorow.
If anything, I think Sakurai would reveal Metroid as the first Assist Trophy on the same stage tomorrow.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What time does gamescon start?

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I did not specifically label anyone, but honestly its pretty sycophantic to say that people have no right to be upset with one of Sakurai's decisions or go something a bad move.

And honestly, making Ridley a stage hazard is a bad move.

You may like the rest of Smash 4, but honestly that would be a pretty dumb decision there. I think any fan of Ridley can pretty much agree with me on that that Ridley far much better fit to be playable than yet another NPC role.
You can be upset, I don't mind. But don't think he's deconfirmed yet. He is still the most important and most wanted newcomer for SSB4 and Sakurai knows that SSB4 is one of the few games that can directly sell the Wii U and Sakurai knows that the Wii U is in trouble now. Adding in Ridley would make the game and the Wii U a must buy for most people. I don't believe that Sakurai will leave him out this time.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Also, remember Gamescon lasts from tomorrow until Sunday I think, he could hold it out until Friday even.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If Ridley is confirmed as playable, I bet anyone who reveals him playable in this forum will automatically be hailed as a hero.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Tommorow : Other M Ridley comfirmed as a stage hazard.
Friday : Super Metroid Ridley comfirmed as playable.
Sakurai : *laughs* :troll:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'll be honest. I'll be extremely disappointed if Ridley doesn't make it. Really, I will be. But hopefully there will be reveals that offset my disappointment. I'm sure the game will be great anyway.

However, at least Ridley gets to be a d*** and mess with people if he IS a stage hazard, which is better than a boss that Peach can take down.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Sakurai: I have a very BIG announcement. Please take a look-
(screen turns to Mario, link and samus on the new metroid stage. Suddenly, ridley appears as "a new challenger approaches. crowd goes wild, tv screen explodes)
Sakurai: whoops. I guess Ridley is too big after all. how about I reprogram his as a stage hazard or assist trophy. Anyone?
(Everyone throws rotten tomatoes)

Groose

Smash Champion
Also...Gamescom is today, and I think Nintendo is going to be there for a few things right? Everyone hold your horses. This ain't over yet :)
My sources tell me that Nintendo will not be there.

But if they announce Ridley over the internet, I'm sure the word will be.

D

Deleted member

The Ridley disconfirmation apocalypse could be upon us…

”Masahiro Sakurai” said:
“Pic of the day. Out of the blue, here's a new stage--the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second…”
I’m 50/50 on this quote. It could very well be a disconfirmation of Ridley, but we also have to remember that it could be just like the “up until now” quote detractors used to say Ness is deconfirmed. Personally, I’m leaning towards the former, but we shouldn’t discount the possibility of Ridley being playable yet. But just in case Ridley does get disconfirmed, here are my thoughts on this just so that I don’t have to be around for the storm that comes up:

I’m scratching my head over why Ridley would not be in Super Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U. Pretty much any argument used against Ridley has been destroyed by supporters. There are countless evidence supporting that Ridley’s size can change. Just pull out any size comparison arguments and you’ll see what I mean. Ridley’s size has changed throughout games and the Melee intro proves that Ridley can size down to an acceptable height. Plus there’s Olimar… who appeared in both Brawl and 3DS.

Another argument against Ridley would be “Ridley isn’t popular in Japan”. While this might hold some value, clearly Sakurai has heard of the massive Western demand for Ridley. And on top of that, Little Mac was a very highly requested character in the West who was also practically ignored in Japan and yet he’s pretty much in. Ridley has even more demand and still failed to make the cut.

Sakurai has also proven to change his mind with previously rejected character. The Villager for one is going to be playable in the next Smash and so is the Mii. So it’s not like Sakurai is incapable of changing his mind on Ridley.

Another arguments detractors will use is that Ridley is too difficult to program. Now if this was several months ago, I could see why, but thanks to Mega Man’s confirmation, I’m not really seeing this either. We have to remember that Sakurai is the same person that said that adding third-party characters and the universe they come from are in some form, harder than making the game itself. That means that Mega Man was an extremely difficult fit for Sakurai and he had to struggle to get Mega Man to fit within the environment of Smash. Licensing process might have been relatively easy, but fitting him in I would imagine is a much different story. So if Sakurai can fit Mega Man in, who should technically be more difficult to fit in than make the game itself, Ridley can definitely fit in even with the challenge surrounding his inclusion.

With that said and factoring in his huge importance to the Metroid franchise, it really does surprise me that Ridley isn’t playable. Not saying he was guarantee or anything, but I still expected him. So what is the reason why Ridley isn’t in? All I can really go on here is that Sakurai for some reason doesn’t consider Ridley worth the effort.

I really would like to hear form Sakurai as to why he excluded Ridley from this game. A disconfirmation isn’t enough, I’d at least like to hear reasons especially since he knows what kind of storm that he is going to cause in the community as well as the scars that will form because of Ridley’s disconfirmation. At least then we’ll know why it turned out like it did so even if I end up inevitably disagreeing, at least it’s better than nothing.

But then again, we’ll have to see what happens within the next few days. We can’t say for sure whenever or not Ridley is in the game; we just have to play the waiting game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Holy ****, Super Smash Bros. Fan came back for this? Wow, **** really is going down.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The only thing bigger than Ridley will be the boners that Oasis and Chronobound have after he's revealed :troll:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I really would like to hear form Sakurai as to why he excluded Ridley from this game. A disconfirmation isn’t enough, I’d at least like to hear reasons especially since he knows what kind of storm that he is going to cause in the community as well as the scars that will form because of Ridley’s disconfirmation. At least then we’ll know why it turned out like it did so even if I end up inevitably disagreeing, at least it’s better than nothing.

But then again, we’ll have to see what happens within the next few days. We can’t say for sure whenever or not Ridley is in the game; we just have to play the waiting game.
Yeah, I am at least hoping for some sort of acknowledgement from Sakurai about the massive demand for Ridley and why he went the route he did if Ridley does end up a stage hazard.

D

Deleted member

Holy ****, Super Smash Bros. Fan came back for this? Wow, **** really is going down.
I'll only back until the 26th of August when college starts back up. But considering all of the Ridley stuff that's been going on, I simply couldn't resist giving my two cents. Luckily, my RL issues has been cleared up well enough to allow myself a little time to return to this site.

Groose

Smash Champion
The Ridley disconfirmation apocalypse could be upon us…

I’m 50/50 on this quote. It could very well be a disconfirmation of Ridley, but we also have to remember that it could be just like the “up until now” quote detractors used to say Ness is deconfirmed. Personally, I’m leaning towards the former, but we shouldn’t discount the possibility of Ridley being playable yet. But just in case Ridley does get disconfirmed, here are my thoughts on this just so that I don’t have to be around for the storm that comes up:

I’m scratching my head over why Ridley would not be in Super Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U. Pretty much any argument used against Ridley has been destroyed by supporters. There are countless evidence supporting that Ridley’s size can change. Just pull out any size comparison arguments and you’ll see what I mean. Ridley’s size has changed throughout games and the Melee intro proves that Ridley can size down to an acceptable height. Plus there’s Olimar… who appeared in both Brawl and 3DS.

Another argument against Ridley would be “Ridley isn’t popular in Japan”. While this might hold some value, clearly Sakurai has heard of the massive Western demand for Ridley. And on top of that, Little Mac was a very highly requested character in the West who was also practically ignored in Japan and yet he’s pretty much in. Ridley has even more demand and still failed to make the cut.

Sakurai has also proven to change his mind with previously rejected character. The Villager for one is going to be playable in the next Smash and so is the Mii. So it’s not like Sakurai is incapable of changing his mind on Ridley.

Another arguments detractors will use is that Ridley is too difficult to program. Now if this was several months ago, I could see why, but thanks to Mega Man’s confirmation, I’m not really seeing this either. We have to remember that Sakurai is the same person that said that adding third-party characters and the universe they come from are in some form, harder than making the game itself. That means that Mega Man was an extremely difficult fit for Sakurai and he had to struggle to get Mega Man to fit within the environment of Smash. Licensing process might have been relatively easy, but fitting him in I would imagine is a much different story. So if Sakurai can fit Mega Man in, who should technically be more difficult to fit in than make the game itself, Ridley can definitely fit in even with the challenge surrounding his inclusion.

With that said and factoring in his huge importance to the Metroid franchise, it really does surprise me that Ridley isn’t playable. Not saying he was guarantee or anything, but I still expected him. So what is the reason why Ridley isn’t in? All I can really go on here is that Sakurai for some reason doesn’t consider Ridley worth the effort.

Welcome back. ;)

I suspect that we have a two week maximum for new information here. Sakurai-san does like things to fester for a bit, so it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see anything for a few days. Even so, he doesn't like to let things be forgotten; the Kid Icarus stage and Pilotwings stage both had follow-ups about a week after their announcement.

Of course, this has the "at any second" tag on it... but that's Sakurai-san. He's dramatic. He knows this is the biggest reveal so far.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Piss and blood, this thread really has become the gateway to hell if SSBF is back from the dead. Honestly putting so much worth into a vague statement from Sakurai was fun at first, but it's getting ridiculous watching people squirm as if he straight up crushed our hopes and dreams.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My sources tell me that Nintendo will not be there.

But if they announce Ridley over the internet, I'm sure the word will be.
According to IGN, Nintendo will be there, but with Playable demos of everything but Smash essentially (so no press conference). That isn't stopping them from revealing something though I don't think. If they really wanted to, they could use a demo television and call for some attention for the reveal.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Wait, what was with this "Ness is deconfirmed" stuff? I didn't follow the Dojo a lot.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
I suppose all this ruckus can be considered the "silence" before the storm, which will be either fan rejoice or fan hatred.
73 views?!? :dizzy:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
(First post in a long time.)

I can see this going either way, really. But I've already made my peace with not every character I want getting in. Roy's probably not coming back, as much as I want him. My main has probably been cut, unless I can customize Link into him. And if Ridley's not playable...yeah, it'll be disappointing, but it's not going to make me less excited. Ridley being confirmed will raise my hype, but when half of me expected him not to be in already, him being deconfirmed won't lower said hype.

Now if we get a different Metroid newcomer and not Ridley, that'll be a bit upsetting, but that's a different story. For now we should probably just wait and see what happens before we start making speeches and cursing Sakurai's name. Hell, I'm super excited for all three of the newcomers we've gotten thus far!

Steelia

Smash Champion
*Ridley confirmed as playable, Mother Brain ends up being Pryosphere stage hazard*

Crossing fingers.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not to burst your bubble of hope or anything guys but this is pretty much 100% confirmed as a Ridley being part of the stage.

Sakurai doesn't hint at newcomers like this
The image is focused on the stage. He's talking purely about the stage. This is Ridley's areas from Other M and he makes the hole in the wall. Even if Sakurai did or was hinting at a newcomer, he wouldn't do it when the primary focus of the picture reveal is the new stage.

The only question left at this point is whether or not he's a stage hazard or just a background character.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Come on guys, most of you have supported Ridley before I was even in the Smash speculation community yet you are already giving up? Heck, I'm still here and will continue fighting for Ridley until he is confirmed. There is too much of a reason for him to get into the game for him to be left out. He's the most wanted newcomer and the most important one too. Sakarai knows that the Wii U is in trouble and that SSB4 can sell the system and Ridley is pretty much a system seller, so I don't see why he wouldn't add Ridley.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Wait, what was with this "Ness is deconfirmed" stuff? I didn't follow the Dojo a lot.
When Lucas was revealed, there was a reference to Ness, as if he was in past installments, but wasn't going to be in Brawl.

Obviously, that turned out false.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Chrocomire. He was in lava stage too!
There was another Lava-Dragon-Bossthing in Other M, I forgot it's name, but I know it wasn't Crocomire. As much as I'd like to see any Other M boss as a hazard over Ridley, this stage is Ridley's lair in Other M, it wouldn't make sense for him not to be the hazard.

D

Deleted member

On the Dojo, Sakurai made a post about Lucas' special moves and said this:
"There's a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now"
Many people (myself included) thought that this meant that Ness was getting cut.

Who knows? Maybe Sakurai is playing a trick on us and will reveal Ridley before the end of this week.

D

Deleted member

Back during pre-Brawl, Lucas was confirmed on October 1st, 2007 and this quote made most people think Ness was cut from the Brawl roster:
There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar. They are from the same family of PK users.
Of course Ness ended up making it into the next game.

How does this quote relate to Ridley? It means that we need to be careful to not wording by Sakurai too seriously. We don't know if the quote hints at Ridley being playable or Ridley being a stage hazards. It's this vagueness that keeps me from going to either side.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
and possibly add in one more hacked in character to replace Snake.
what why?

----
anyway yeah this news and the possibility it seems to imply is rather disheartening to say the least. It could lead to a character reveal, but id say that it isnt as likely or as easy as making him a hazard. We could be optimistic and say its like the toon link situation and that its a different ridley (clone and whatnot), but that would be reaching. I think if anything if he isnt playable this is very telling for characters with big fanbases, and that popularity may not help them as much as was previously believed if sakurai doesnt care about that as much.

Top Bottom