• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

bobadz

Smash Ace
There was another Lava-Dragon-Bossthing in Other M, I forgot it's name, but I know it wasn't Crocomire. As much as I'd like to see any Other M boss as a hazard over Ridley, this stage is Ridley's lair in Other M, it wouldn't make sense for him not to be the hazard.
I know. I was joking. But I'm holding on to hope.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Have we even talked about how there's lava flowing into the room? It seems like it's obviously gonna be a hazard of some sort, especially looking at past Metroid stages, wouldn't it be overkill to not only have lava flow up against you, but also have a giant purple space dragon attacking you at the same time?

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Come on guys, most of you have supported Ridley before I was even in the Smash speculation community yet you are already giving up? Heck, I'm still here and will continue fighting for Ridley until he is confirmed. There is too much of a reason for him to get into the game for him to be left out. He's the most wanted newcomer and the most important one too. Sakarai knows that the Wii U is in trouble and that SSB4 can sell the system and Ridley is pretty much a system seller, so I don't see why he wouldn't add Ridley.
Of all the games announced/rumored so far, Mario kart, smash and "Pokken Fighters Tournament" sound/look like the ones that will save the wii u quite a bit. Ridley playable inclusion would only help. (same goes for sonics return)

D

Deleted member

Have we even talked about how there's lava flowing into the room? It seems like it's obviously gonna be a hazard of some sort, especially looking at past Metroid stages, wouldn't it be overkill to not only have lava flow up against you, but also have a giant purple space dragon attacking you at the same time?
That would make the stage unenjoyable. If it was in the same vein as Planet Zebes, Brinstar, and Norfair, what would Ridley even do? There would be a bit too much going on in the screen in my opinion.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I did not specifically label anyone, but honestly its pretty sycophantic to say that people have no right to be upset with one of Sakurai's decisions or go something a bad move.

And honestly, making Ridley a stage hazard is a bad move.

You may like the rest of Smash 4, but honestly that would be a pretty dumb decision there. I think any fan of Ridley can pretty much agree with me on that that Ridley far much better fit to be playable than yet another NPC role.
I consider myself a fan of Ridley which is the main reason I don't want to see him playable. I have no doubt that they could physically scale Ridley down or clip his wings but the idea of a squat, walking Ridley, with tiny wings, barely taller than his nemesis, slowly hopping around an SSB stage isn't my idea of a respectful use of the character. I'm not saying they couldn't make him playable - they absolutely could - but I think to do so would be detrimental to everything that makes him Ridley.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
and that popularity may not help them as much as was previously believed if sakurai doesnt care about that as much.
I think this will be the biggest thing to come out of it (a Ridley de-confirmation). Popularity will pretty much be thrown out the window as a major reason as to why Sakurai may choose certain characters.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That would make the stage unenjoyable. If it was in the same vein as Planet Zebes, Brinstar, and Norfair, what would Ridley even do? There would be a bit too much going on in the screen in my opinion.
Exactly. And it wouldn't make sense that lava is flowing forever but the room isn't filled up, it's even partially filled up in Other M.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
There was another Lava-Dragon-Bossthing in Other M, I forgot it's name, but I know it wasn't Crocomire. As much as I'd like to see any Other M boss as a hazard over Ridley, this stage is Ridley's lair in Other M, it wouldn't make sense for him not to be the hazard.
Goyagma (the tentacle thing you fight upon activating the Varia Suit) or the Vorash (the essential lava shark)? Could also be those fire spawn things Anthony landed on for the hell of it.

At any rate, don't underestimate Sakurai logic. I don't recall Rayquaza ever being associated with anything but the sky, yet his boss battle in Brawl took place with him in a lake, diggin underground, shooting electricity, etc.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if mistranslation is at work here Like that Lucas one...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
but I think to do so would be detrimental to everything that makes him Ridley.
No offense, but you are pretty much in the 1% in regards to Ridley fans. He is pretty much the most wanted newcomer for Smash 4 at this point for good reason.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I never thought about that. All of the Metroid stages (misus Brinstar depths and Frigate orphan) had lava. Maybe that's the hazard and Sakurai's just hinting at somthing. As Willaim Randolph Hearst once said every melodrama has Atleast three close calls.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I consider myself a fan of Ridley which is the main reason I don't want to see him playable. I have no doubt that they could physically scale Ridley down or clip his wings but the idea of a squat, walking Ridley, with tiny wings, barely taller than his nemesis, slowly hopping around an SSB stage isn't my idea of a respectful use of the character. I'm not saying they couldn't make him playable - they absolutely could - but I think to do so would be detrimental to everything that makes him Ridley.
His size isn't everything that makes him Ridley. Ridley is the intelligent leader of the Space Pirates, and the one who killed Samus' parents, thus becoming Samus' arch-nemesis. In no way is Ridley about his size, yes, it's part of his character, but such a minor part that even Metroid Prime 3 makes him smaller when you fight him as Omega Ridley. It's not an important part of his character at all, Bowser and Olimar's sizes are more important to them than Ridley's size is to him. It's not disrespectful to him at all, what would be disrespectful is pulling a Ganondorf on him and make him act nothing like he does in the games.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Well what I found strange is the fact that this stage seem to be set after Ridley's defeat and escape in Other M, do I need to remember you in what shape was Ridley at the end of this battle ?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's going to be really sad when people post their rosters in the Discussion thread, and Ridley may not be there anymore... That's a bit upsetting. But hopefully this isn't the case, and we'll see him announced by the end of the week.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Spear Pillar and That Pikmen stage say hi. :spearpillar::distantplanet::troll:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Spear Pillar and That Pikmen stage say hi. :spearpillar::distantplanet::troll:
But those two don't have multiple things going on at once. If Ridley is a stage hazard at the same time lava is at its peak, then there'd be no escape, and that's horrendously bad stage design. It's not impossible of course that they make a badly designed stage, wouldn't be the first time, but it would still suck majorly. I hope Sakurai can settle with his lava.

Speculator

Smash Ace
No offense, but you are pretty much in the 1% in regards to Ridley fans. He is pretty much the most wanted newcomer for Smash 4 at this point for good reason.
I know that, and I know I'll get flak for it. But to me, maintaining the integrity of his character is more important than including him in SSB just because he deserves it.

His size isn't everything that makes him Ridley. Ridley is the intelligent leader of the Space Pirates, and the one who killed Samus' parents, thus becoming Samus' arch-nemesis. In no way is Ridley about his size, yes, it's part of his character, but such a minor part that even Metroid Prime 3 makes him smaller when you fight him as Omega Ridley. It's not an important part of his character at all, Bowser and Olimar's sizes are more important to them than Ridley's size is to him. It's not disrespectful to him at all, what would be disrespectful is pulling a Ganondorf on him and make him act nothing like he does in the games.
It's not just his size. Nearly everything Ridley is known for doing doesn't translate well into SSB. He couldn't fly around at breakneck speeds, he couldn't pick characters up and slam them into walls, he couldn't crash through scenery and so on. What is important is his size relative to Samus. Olimar has nothing to be directly compared to. A more appropriate comparison would be to imagine they were adding King Bulblax into SSB and they made him no bigger than Olimar.

Anyway I'm not trying to get into a debate here, this has been done a hundred times. I just hope some of you are trying to imagine what difficulties there are, especially from Sakurai's perspective, on including Ridley as a playable character. Since it looks like he once again hasn't made it that means there must be reasons Sakurai doesn't think he's appropriate.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Well what I found strange is the fact that this stage seem to be set after Ridley's defeat and escape in Other M, do I need to remember you in what shape was Ridley at the end of this battle ?
I completely forgot that the stage looks like it takes place after the fight in Other M, so all hope is not lost, I just can't help but think that we'll see Ridley through that hole, and he'll pop out of it and attack players.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I wonder though.

What if Sakurai makes an all-new design for Ridley for Smash Bros. (not Other M Ridley) that's playable, so as to get around the whole "canon size" thing? Perhaps that is very much wishful thinking, however, there was a time where Sakurai had a playable and non-playable version of character in the same game (see ROB in Brawl, where enemy versions of ROB were confirmed on the Dojo before the game's release).

And to a lesser extent there was arcade-sprite DK at 75M.

As I said before, if Sakurai does confirm Ridley as a stage hazard, and then a few weeks later show him off as a newcomer (if there was a time to show off a newcomer for Smash Bros. within the next several months, September would be the one to do it, considering its the only month where there are no major releases to tie-in a veteran confirmation).

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Tommorow : Other M Ridley comfirmed as a stage hazard.
Friday : Super Metroid Ridley comfirmed as playable.
Sakurai : *laughs* :troll:
I had that reasoning in mind as a last resort, hahaha. If he's a stage hazard and that seems likely, well that's that I suppose. Within the next 5 years I will periodically emerge from the shadows reminding people what could have been...

See you next game! :)

:(

But like Chrono and Xhampi said there could be different versions of him. Other M stage hazard with Super Metroid Ridley playable like Link, Dk, ROB and GaW I suppose.

D

Deleted member

@ChronoBound: Ridley's disconfirmation would not throw away popularity as a major reason as to why characters are included; it'd simply disconfirm Ridley. Unless we get something in regards to him saying "popularity doesn't matter", we shouldn't make such connections.

Plus Ridley is not the most wanted characters/newcomer. Mega Man was the most wanted newcomer for this game and he's already in (thanks to a large part to his massive requests) and Mewtwo is already being hinted it as well. And if we're talking about most popular Nintendo newcomers, that spot goes to King K. Rool. You have to remember that Ridley is barely requested in Japan whereas King K. Rool is highly wanted in Japan. So even if Ridley doesn't show up, King K. Rool's inclusion (if he's in) can still be influenced by his huge popularity.

Obviously, popularity is not the be-all, end-all of character decisions, but Ridley's disconfirmation won't remove popularity as a major factor, especially since Mega Man was included largely because of popularity.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I completely forgot that the stage looks like it takes place after the fight in Other M, so all hope is not lost, I just can't help but think that we'll see Ridley through that hole, and he'll pop out of it and attack players.
The rift in the wall is there even during the battle in Other M. Ridley simply widens it by breathing fire at it when he escapes Samus because he can't fit through it in normal means, leaving behind a big circle hole rather than the rift shape. The stage takes place during the fight with Ridley, and if he's a stage hazard there's no way he'd be able to fly through the crack, since he couldn't do it in Other M.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I wonder though.

What if Sakurai makes an all-new design for Ridley for Smash Bros. (not Other M Ridley) that's playable, so as to get around the whole "canon size" thing? Perhaps that is very much wishful thinking, however, there was a time where Sakurai had a playable and non-playable version of character in the same game (see ROB in Brawl, where enemy versions of ROB were confirmed on the Dojo before the game's release).
They could include the NES Ridley no problem. But then the question is, does anybody really want NES Ridley? Furthermore, would that be a good representation of the two decades worth of incarnations of the character?

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I wonder though.

And to a lesser extent there was arcade-sprite DK at 75M.

As I said before, if Sakurai does confirm Ridley as a stage hazard, and then a few weeks later show him off as a newcomer (if there was a time to show off a newcomer for Smash Bros. within the next several months, September would be the one to do it, considering its the only month where there are no major releases to tie-in a veteran confirmation).

To be fair, ROB is a robot and could be mass produced as they were in Subspace, Ridley is pretty one of a kind even if he does have some clones.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
They could include the NES Ridley no problem. But then the question is, does anybody really want NES Ridley? Furthermore, would that be a good representation of the two decades worth of incarnations of the character?
Yeah I definitely would not want the original Ridley, and I don't think it would ever happen either considering how iconic Ridley's modern look and size are.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Melee intro Ridley. Done and done.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The scariest thought occurred to me

"Expecting Ridley? TOO BAD, WALUIGI TIME!"

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's not there as a demo, no, but Sakurai could still use the opportunity to announce something there since there'll be a lot of Nintendo fans gathered there.

Have we heard him coming to Gamescon tho?

Or is he going to do a live broadcast if not?

I think it's improbable to wait for anything related to SSB4 in Gamescon...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Have we heard him coming to Gamescon tho?

Or is he going to do a live broadcast if not?

I think it's improbable to wait for anything related to SSB4 in Gamescon...
I'm not counting on it much either, but it's still a possibility, not a very big one though.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
The scariest thought occurred to me

"Expecting Ridley? TOO BAD, WALUIGI TIME!"
Waluigi is the only character who would make me consider not buying the game, but then I realized I could always beat the crap out of him with Mr. Game and Watch, so I'm good. He won't be in it anyways.

D

Deleted member

I think most supporters in the end would rather have NES Ridley than no Ridley as a playable character. It's not like they can't make a 3D re-imagining of the NES Ridley just like they did with NES Mega Man.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yo im back & i saw this the daily pic.

Is it urrr....what is it?

And howly dog s_it why is this thread on fire?
27: Users 36!: Guests?

WTF Appened/Went down?

daily.jpg

Top Bottom