• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Hey Chrono, I doubt Sakarai's going to leave Ridley out this time due to his huge fan demand(being the most wanted newcomer) and still is reoccuring and important to Metroid. I highly doubt size will bother Sakarai at all when making him also. Sakarai knows that the Wii U is in trouble and SSB4 is one of the few games that will directly sell the system and what better way is there but to have Ridley in? Heck, I think Sakarai showed us today that Ridley is probably going to be playable and he will reveil him soon.
Yeah, Sakarai is aware, but what about Sakurai? [trollface]

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yup. Seeing the "Challenger Approaching"-banner as well now.

So should we keep on waiting or...?
Isn't that banner up for Luigi? I never got the challenger approaching banner at all, and I keep refreshing that page. Must be how you access the site.

Still I think its connected with Luigi, and they are just now bothering to take it down, and there is still some wonky code making it pop up still for some people.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The challenger approach banner seems to be an cache issue given how it appears and disappears seaming at random for different people. Nothing I can really tell beyond that.

As far as the current situation, I'm not really assuming anything by it, it's Sakurai being vague in a way that it might be months before we know what he even meant by that. As far as Ridley being stage hazard/playable, whatever, I can live with it. Ridley was never much of a top seller for me even if none of the characters I wanted made it in, it's hard for me to get upset about it. Though that may be because Mega Man made it in before I could even debate about it. Who knows.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Isn't that banner up for Luigi? I never got the challenger approaching banner at all, and I keep refreshing that page. Must be how you access the site.

Still I think its connected with Luigi, and they are just now bothering to take it down, and there is still some wonky code making it pop up still for some people.
It links to the Luigi page, yeah.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I already said my peace. If Sakurai outright confirms Ridley as a stage hazard within the next few days, I won't have anything more to say, I will just leave.

I was also right that the Sakurai Defense Force would be flaming me for me being irked about Ridley not being playable. Predictable. Another plus for no longer having to deal with this fanbase are the synchophants.
Meh.... Just stop posting until Ridley is confirmed/disconfirmed.

All this whining and pessimism is seriously unneeded. You don't see Oasis or JohnKnight or anyone else for that matter posting like that, although they are almost as much invested in Ridley.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Meh.... Just stop posting until Ridley is confirmed/disconfirmed.

All this whining and pessimism is seriously unneeded. You don't see Oasis or JohnKnight or anyone else for that matter posting like that, although they are almost as much invested in Ridley.
Hey, I'm trying to bring the good into these people. But yes, I see what you mean.

Speculator

Smash Ace
But really, all these hints basically say the opposite to me: Ridley will indeed be playable.

Ridley was slightly teased at with his appearance on Zebes in Smash 64, more teased at in his trailer appearance in Melee, more teased at with his Norfair stage in Brawl (although Sakurai refused to mention him), and well... now Sakurai is just flat out bringing him up... but without showing him.
Those are the reasons I don't think this is a character reveal. Three times has Ridley been 'teased' and three times has he been unplayable. I don't believe in 'patterns' in SSB, but the difference is that no other characters get these hints and teases. Ridley is unique in that and it seperates him from the characters that do make playable.

Ridley being de-confirmed will easily kill any hype I had for Smash 4.

Sorry, but Brawl pretty much added every other Nintendo character that was worth it to be added.
If Ridley was the only character you thought worth adding then you had an astoundingly narrow vision of the game.

One of my top picks isn't getting in this game. I thought Balloon Fighter had unprecedented potential as a playable character and he's been considered for SSB a number of times before. But seeing him fail to make the cut once again means I have to accept that there's obviously something about the character, whatever it may be, that's holding Sakurai back from including him. The same is now true of Ridley and Ridley supporters. Even if you think it's fine to scale him down, even if you think it's fine to make him slower, even if you think it's fine to see him running or punching or hunched over, you need to be able to understand that Sakurai sees it a different way.

And one's favorite character not making the cut is not the end of the world. Ridley was not the only remaining worthwhile character to be added to SSB. Nintendo has over thirty-five years of history in the video game industry. Thousands of games and even more characters. Their supply of unique, interesting SSB additions is virtually limitless. A quick scroll down this very board should introduce you to some characters or idea you might never have even heard of.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So everyone who disagrees with you or thinks you're being melodramatic is either an apologist or a sycophant?
This. A thousand times this. Ridley's by far my favorite Nintendo villain and has been in my top 5 most wanted characters since Melee but I made my peace with him potentially winding up as a NPC months ago. If Brawl speculation taught me anything its to not take video games so god damn seriously that it actually emotionally distresses you when things don't go your way.

Autumn ♫

Those are the reasons I don't think this is a character reveal. Three times has Ridley been 'teased' and three times has he been unplayable. I don't believe in 'patterns' in SSB, but the difference is that no other characters get these hints and teases. Ridley is unique in that and it seperates him from the characters that do make playable.

If Ridley was the only character you thought worth adding then you had an astoundingly narrow vision of the game.

One of my top picks isn't getting in this game. I thought Balloon Fighter had unprecedented potential as a playable character and he's been considered for SSB a number of times before. But seeing him fail to make the cut once again means I have to accept that there's obviously something about the character, whatever it may be, that's holding Sakurai back from including him. The same is now true of Ridley and Ridley supporters. Even if you think it's fine to scale him down, even if you think it's fine to make him slower, even if you think it's fine to see him running or punching or hunched over, you need to be able to understand that Sakurai sees it a different way.

And one's favorite character not making the cut is not the end of the world. Ridley was not the only remaining worthwhile character to be added to SSB. Nintendo has over thirty-five years of history in the video game industry. Thousands of games and even more characters. Their supply of unique, interesting SSB additions is virtually limitless. A quick scroll down this very board should introduce you to some characters or idea you might never have even heard of.
Alright, we have K.Rool too. :troll:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Well.. according to the pic of the day..

The Other M stage hints that a character from Samus' past may interfere with the battle.

Sorry guys... :(

But there's still a glimmer of hope right?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Some whiny girl who threatened to commit suicide when Lyn was disconfirmed. At least Chrono didn't stoop that low...
I don't appreciate people jumping down my throat for me being upset that Ridley not being playable. All I said is that I won't follow or purchase the game. Is that really objectionable especially considering I pretty much have a weak interest in games for years now?

Autumn ♫

The Other M stage hints that a character from Samus' past may interfere with the battle.

HECK YEAH! Interferring with the battle+Ridley's importance and fan demand and everything else I just said= CONFIRMED!

bobadz

Smash Ace
Some whiny girl who threatened to commit suicide when Lyn was disconfirmed. At least Chrono didn't stoop that low...
Oh, how sad.

Wow we have a lot of people viewing this thread.

Chrono, it shouldn't be a hype killer if your favorite character doesn't get in. Ridley's my favorite character not yet playable in smash, but if he's a stage hazard I'm not gonna lose intrest.

Anyway I'm out.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

To quote 31st Philosopher Phillip J. Fry:

"You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless. You gotta hope even harder, stick your fingers in your ears and go LALALALALALALA! I'D ALSO LIKE A PACKED MULE!"

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
What's the big deal with the whole challenger aproaching sign thing a ma bombzer? :bomb:
The Human Mind. Humans don't like things without answers or without some sort of answer, even a self-imposed answer, to something we want to know or care alot about.

The lack of an answer (yet) about Ridley is driving most people up the walls in anxiety.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't appreciate people jumping down my throat for me being upset that Ridley not being playable. All I said is that I won't follow or purchase the game. Is that really objectionable especially considering I pretty much have a weak interest in games for years now?
Not at all. It's your money and your opinion after all.

Although personally, even if my favourite characters wouldn't make it in or my old favourites wouldn't return I would still have some of the other newcomers to try out. I'm personally looking forward to try out Villager. But that's just my opinion.

Do whatever you like man, if you feel that the designers didn't make the game to your standards then feel free to reject it, no ones telling you that you have to buy it anyway. I mean if you were served an awful plate at a restaurant you have every right to reject it and complain to the manager and all. ^_^

If what I said sounded too rude then my apologies.

Autumn ♫

COME ON MEN! WE WILL NOT STAND HERE IDLY MOPING AROUND! WE MUST PUSH FORWARD AND CONTINUE TO FIGHT THE ANTI-RIDLEY'S! THIS PICTURE ONLY SHOWS US THAT WE ARE CLOSER TO VICTORY THAN WE THOUGHT! WE WILL PUSH ON THROUGH THE HARDEST OF TIMES, WE ARE THE SUPPORTERS OF THE PURPLE DRAGON NAMED RIDLEY! PRESS FORWARD MEN!

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
And the banner is off the site again...perhaps we should just stop talking about it since it's clear it won't have anything to do with Ridley.

Groose

Smash Champion
I see three possibilities:

A) Ridley is a stage hazard and Sakurai is hinting towards that now in order to cushion the blow. Granted, this is having the opposite effect than the one that is intended.

B) Ridley is a stage hazard and Sakurai is relatively oblivious of the damage he's doing right now.

C) Ridley is playable and Sakurai is a tease.

And the banner is off the site again...perhaps we should just stop talking about it since it's clear it won't have anything to do with Ridley.
It's near midnight in Japan. I doubt they're going to reveal anything now; Sakurai is probably grabbing some Zs (if Sakurai really does need sleep).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I still see it, it's most definitely something to do with each individual, and not anything in the grand scale of things.

I'm trying to figure out how they can even make one of those big character blocks that newcomers get fit into the current situation. It could just be me that sucks at design, but such a 3-slot block would seriously throw off the whole site.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
You didnt only say that you wont buy the game. You were saying sakurai has no idea what he is doing, your saying that you are done with the site, you are saying that the majority of us are idiot fanboys, and you are saying that you are happy to leave the site yet you wont leave it

Speculator

Smash Ace
I still see it, it's most definitely something to do with each individual, and not anything in the grand scale of things.

I'm trying to figure out how they can even make one of those big character blocks that newcomers get fit into the current situation. It could just be me that sucks at design, but such a 3-slot block would seriously throw off the whole site.
I think the boxes resize based on the size of your browser window.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

A) Ridley is a stage hazard and Sakurai is hinting towards that now in order to cushion the blow. Granted, this is having the opposite effect than the one that is intended.

B) Ridley is a stage hazard and Sakurai is relatively oblivious of the damage he's doing right now.

It's near midnight in Japan. I doubt they're going to reveal anything now; Sakurai is probably grabbing some Zs (if Sakurai really does need sleep).
You pretty much nailed all of the scenarios.

However, the ultimate troll scenario is he confirms Ridley as a stage hazard, and then a few weeks later as a playable character. I don't think in terms of trolls by a game designer nothing would be able to top that.

Will be interesting to see what Sakurai has to say when Ridley does end up being confirmed as a stage hazard, and whether Sakurai makes any mention of the massive demand Ridley has.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The last thing I want to do is cling to false hope, but allow me to question: if Sakurai didn't port over the Geothermal Power Plant stage from Dead or Alive Dimensions like many predicted, would he really port over its hazard as well? That's the sort of thing he could see as unoriginal, kind of like he did with PSASBR's stage hazard off-switch.

I empathize with you if this is the last straw, Chrono. It gets tiring seeing people defend Sakurai's every move when some of them are blatantly in the wrong.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You didnt only say that you wont buy the game. You were saying sakurai has no idea what he is doing, your saying that you are done with the site, you are saying that the majority of us are idiot fanboys, and you are saying that you are happy to leave the site yet you wont leave it
Nice hyperbole there.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think the boxes resize based on the size of your browser window.
Ah, okay, because as I see it they'd need to cut the Villager block over in half in order to make a new newcomer block fit, or they'd have to re-arrange the whole site.

Even when Ridley has a potential reveal he's too big.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019

D) All of the above.

I'll say D).

Arteen

Smash Lord
I'm not trying to pick a fight, but that wasn't all you said. You also called everyone you disagreed with sycophants. That is objectionable.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I'm thinking either everything will be shrunk a bit, or the page will just stretch out vertically. Maybe both?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Alright people relax. This stage doesn't mean anything until they reveal Ridley as either a Stage Hazard or playable.

However, there are two ways that this could go. First, there is the idea that his stage is revealed before he is, kind of the same vein as Little Mac and Chrom or Lucina (Boxing Ring and Arena Ferox respectively).

Then there is the unfortunate Viridi route in that he may become a background character.

But I don't think in any sense that it would be a good idea for Sakurai to go against the #1 Nintendo character request, for a few games running now.

Also...Gamescom is today, and I think Nintendo is going to be there for a few things right? Everyone hold your horses. This ain't over yet :)

Top Bottom