• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
We've managed to create 8 new pages today, and we're nearing 200 pages soon. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Whaaaaat?! Melee Ridley's too big now? That's hardly any bigger than Bowser. You just took all of the internet's sense, and chucked it right out the window. You didn't even bother opening it. Nope, right through the glass.
You should read my post again. You should look at the Melee opening again, too. Just one of Ridley's wings is nearly the entire size of Samus, so yes, even there he is still too big.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I feel like if he gets confirmed as a stage hazard, this thread will eventually be locked because it will burn itself down really. I can already see it.

The only plus I can take out of this, is that Ridley not being in creates more space for a different character to be included. Or not. If it were me, I would just subtract him from my roster and not add anyone in his place I don't think.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
We've managed to create 8 new pages today, and we're nearing 200 pages soon. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Kind of crazy... it wasn't long ago that I was commenting on us reaching page 100 during the Mr Lange arguments.

I bet that, even if we get Ridley as a stage hazard, a lot of people will be supporting "the real Super Metroid Ridley, not Other M Clone Ridley".

Which, well, isn't ridiculous... I'm still supportin' Wind Waker Toon Link despite Spirit Tracks Toon Link being part of a stage.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This made me crack up.

You should read my post again. You should look at the Melee opening again, too. Just one of Ridley's wings is nearly the entire size of Samus, so yes, even there he is still too big.
I don't see what the wing issue is. Couldn't he just fold his wings if he isn't flying?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I feel like if he gets confirmed as a stage hazard, this thread will eventually be locked because it will burn itself down really. I can already see it.
There's no reason for this thread to exist if he gets disconfirmed, so yeah, it'd only be logical to burn it down. Though I'm definitely gonna miss this thread for sure if it turns out that way, it's my main hub at Smashboards, without this thread I might aswell just leave.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
The problem is that despite everyone still wanting Ridley, his supporters will be much more quiet and pessimistic because Sakurai still didn't add him into Smash 4 despite so few notable Nintendo characters left to add, and the anti-Ridley people will also be louder and more obnoxious than ever and voice their opinion every chance they get.

Basically, how the Roy situation is now. He is one of the most wanted characters for Smash 4, yet most people are pessimistic about him being able to return/get in, and he has incredibly loud detractors who voice their opinion in nearly every chance they get.
I dont think Roy is THAT popular, i like him, but he is not among the most wanted characters.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There's no reason for this thread to exist if he gets disconfirmed, so yeah, it'd only be logical to burn it down. Though I'm definitely gonna miss this thread for sure if it turns out that way, it's my main hub at Smashboards, without this thread I might aswell just leave.
I wouldn't say leave. There are plenty of other things to discuss. Like all of the other potentially awesome characters for Smash Wii U/3DS. Ridley could've taken the cake, but there are certainly several characters that will be incredible for hype.

Arteen

Smash Lord
The absolute sizes of characters don't matter one bit, but the relative sizes do.

Relative to other characters in the Kirby series, Kirby is short and Dedede is tall. In Brawl, the same relative height differences still apply. Dedede is one of the bigger characters, and Kirby is one of the smaller characters. Relative to other Pikmin characters (e.g. Louie), Olimar is a bit on the short side, so he's short in Brawl.

Mario is a bit on the short size in his games, and Bowser's size ranges from "slightly taller" to "twice as big" to "colossal", depending on the game. There are many, many Mario games where the size ratio between Mario and Bowser is roughly equivalent to the SSB games.

In Metroid games, Samus is an above-average height human, so she's the same size as the other human/humanoid characters in Smash. On the other hand, outside of a single NES game, Ridley is always shown as gigantic compared to Samus. Preserving that same ratio in SSB would make Ridley huge. Ridley's size is a completely different case than Kirby or Olimar, and it's not that similar to Bowser either.

D

Deleted member

I dont think Roy is THAT popular, i like him, but he is not among the most wanted characters.
It is likely that Roy is among the Top 5 most wanted character for SSB 3DS and Wii U. Roy is among one of two of the most wanted characters (alongside Mewtwo and much higher than any newcomer there, including Mega Man) and he's 5th/6th most wanted character in the West.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Go check the poll that is one of the pinned threads. Roy is definitely among the Top 5 most wanted characters. He has a TON of supporters. The problem is that most of them are either quiet or pessimistic, and his detractors shout at the top of their lungs.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Also, remember Gamescon lasts from tomorrow until Sunday I think, he could hold it out until Friday even.
That won't happen.

I've been to gamescom last year, I'll realistically tell you, that won't happen.

I SAW people at Gamescom even taking away $50,000 computers. I'm not going to sugarcoat you when I say people get kidnapped for information there. I'm not even bull****ting you.

Anyone who says otherwise congrats; you've successfully proven you know nothing about Gamescom or have never been there.
Kind of off topic, where is the Mother character?!?!
masked man masked man masked man

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I wouldn't say leave. There are plenty of other things to discuss. Like all of the other potentially awesome characters for Smash Wii U/3DS. Ridley could've taken the cake, but there are certainly several characters that will be incredible for hype.
K. Rool is really the only other realistic character I support, and it's even pretty rare that I post in there since I think he'd be cool, but I wouldn't main or alt him. For me Ridley is really the be all, end all on how interested I am for this game, considering Brawl had everything I wanted except for Ridley as a character. No more characters would be able to up my hype, and I'm sure I'd just feel demotivated even visiting this place afterwards.

That won't happen.

I've been to gamescom last year, I'll realistically tell you, that won't happen.

I SAW people at Gamescom even taking away $50,000 computers. I'm not going to sugarcoat you when I say people get kidnapped for information there. I'm not even bull****ting you.

Anyone who says otherwise congrats; you've successfully proven you know nothing about Gamescom or have never been there.
Implying that Nintendo, one of the world's largest gaming companies, don't have bodyguards. While I doubt that anyone from Nintendo would get hijacked I'm not really going to try to argue whether or not people are actually kidnapped there, because I haven't been there, but rest assured Nintendo isn't without protection.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
If Ridley isn't in, I at least hope I get Jeff, Porky or Masked Man and K. Rool.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Implying that Nintendo, one of the world's largest gaming companies, don't have bodyguards. While I doubt that anyone from Nintendo would get hijacked I'm not really going to try to argue whether or not people are actually kidnapped there, because I haven't been there, but rest assured Nintendo isn't without protection.
Miyamoto will let him borrow the Master Sword, it'll be fine.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Not that I'm trying to kill your guy's hype, I mean, he could still happen next month or some other month, and people usually don't get kidnapped there, but lots of stuff DOES happen at Gamescom that you really don't want to have happen or don't even expect. I was there for one day asides from the press only day. They reveal EVERYTHING on Press Only day sadly. How do I know? I've been there before and that's basically what Nintendo and Sony even said they love to do.

And those computers were well guarded too along with more. If I had videos, I would show you how nuts Gamescom truly gets. And how boring lines are. Press Only Day >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The rest.

If nothing happens by the end of today or early morning tomorrow, we'll just have to be patient, but hey, that doesn't rule out something anytime soon.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Sakurai is pretty much trying his damn best not to reference the Prime games this time, so no.

I actually think what they lack in visual love (Other M being the poster child for graphics) they'll make up for in content, stages, and music. For the record since pre-Brawl, I've wanted both DS and Ridley, though obviously the ladder before the former.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ok im still reading through the sh_t storm im on page 179 but just took the time out to post this because i am gobsmacked not even one person mentioned this with how big the s_itstorm is.

Ok. You know when Sakurai said ''Samus's enemy could be coming any second in that pic.

Dont you think he could have just meant as in the pic....like the stage...like when playing on the stage Ridley could come out anytime and NOT like.

Ow i will reveal Ridley ''Soon'' like everyone is thinking....also imho it is looking like he is a Stage haxard.....boy...if its true i will be extrememly dissapointed....

If Mewtwo returns in his original form and can or cant transform it will soften the blow alot but...its f_cked....RealTalk.....

And to Oasis & ChronoB & JohnK....

''If it happens...its a joke.....RealTalk...''

Also to all the PeePz talking about the newcomer banner problem it could be because sakurai is messing/editing the site for Ridleys reveal but he is soo Big that the site is f_cking up because it cant handle Ridley's data even for a pic or whatever....but yh....

I still stick by

Gameplay & Balance > Everything Else.

What else can i say......

Arteen

Smash Lord
Personally, I really liked Ridley's appearances in Brawl. He made for some awesome boss battles. He even came back as Meta Ridley, which was nice surprise for Prime fans.

Genuine question: For the "playable Ridley no matter what" crowd, would you be fine with this?

Or even this?

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Ridley was not givin up on in Brawl although almost every character that was needed was in Brawl. I highly doubt he will be givin up on in SSB5 if he doesn't appear in SSB4.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
He was joking. You knew that, right?
RIGHT?
Nah, I want another Mother character more than anything, and I'm well aware that it isn't the most likely thing in the world, but in Smash, anything can happen. The third Mother character in my dream roster is a DLC choice for a reason though.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This thread is starting t remind me of Pre-Brawl where people would take quotes and start having a stroke from it.

Good times.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Personally, I really liked Ridley's appearances in Brawl. He made for some awesome boss battles. He even came back as Meta Ridley, which was nice surprise for Prime fans.

Genuine question: For the "playable Ridley no matter what" crowd, would you be fine with this?

Or even this?
Oh dear Sakurai no.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As I said on the previous page, the anti-Ridley people will become much louder and more obnoxious, while the Ridley supporters will become much more quiet. If you want a preview of this look at Roy.

We are already seeing this now, where the ratio to Ridley detractors to Ridley supporters is a closer parity.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I know ridley is really cool, but don't give up on smash if he's a stage hazard.

I know I'm not.

Top Bottom