• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well we're not going to know if Ridley is playable or not till at-least tomorrow or a couple days so until that time stop jumping to conclusions that Ridley is deconfirmed.

And what brings you back SSBF I thought you we're leaving for good

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yo im back & i saw this the daily pic.

Is it urrr....what is it?

And howly dog s_it why is this thread on fire?
27: Users 36!: Guests?

WTF Appened/Went down?
Sakurai's quote: "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second."

Could mean that he's either a stage hazard or that we'll soon get an actual confirmation of him being a playable character. Either way, we'll probably know Ridley's role in this game by the end of the week.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You know what I just noticed? A lot of pictures Sakurai has posted are Bowser vs. Samus. There was one on Arena Ferox that was pretty similar...

Speculator

Smash Ace
Melee intro Ridley. Done and done.
Melee intro Ridley is still far too big to include without adjustment. It's not just his body size, it's his enormous wingspan as well. In order to 'fit' his wings, they would need to be scaled individually from the rest of his body. Which in all probability would look extremely silly.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I think most supporters in the end would rather have NES Ridley than no Ridley as a playable character. It's not like they can't make a 3D re-imagining of the NES Ridley just like they did with NES Mega Man.
The difference is that Mega Man's classic appearance is the one most associated with Nintendo and the one most iconic to his character, the same can't be said with Ridley who's appearance since Super Metroid has been the most iconic and recognizable look to his character.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Melee intro Ridley is still far too big to include without adjustment. It's not just his body size, it's his enormous wingspan as well. In order to 'fit' his wings, they would need to be scaled individually from the rest of his body. Which in all probability would look extremely silly.
Meanwhile 95% of people would have no problem with a playable Ridley that looked a little "awkward" in your eyes.

As others have said:
ANY playable Ridley> no playable Ridley at all

A playable Ridley can merely be fixed for the sequel if its awkward or weird. An unplayable Ridley situation makes it so that most Ridley supporters have to endure even louder detractors than they did during the last Smash Bros. cycle.

D

Deleted member

Well we're not going to know if Ridley is playable or not till at-least tomorrow or a couple days so until that time stop jumping to conclusions that Ridley is deconfirmed.

And what brings you back SSBF I thought you we're leaving for good
The real life issues is still present, but they've cleared up enough to where I can come back for a few days. After college starts back up though, I will have to return to my hiatus.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm going to take a stab at how Ridley's stage hazard might work (if he is a stage hazard).

He will be visible peaking in through the crack in the wall, inspecting the fighters. Eventually, he will blast through the wall, and f*** s*** up, in true Ridley fashion.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Yo im back & i saw this the daily pic.

Is it urrr....what is it?

And howly dog s_it why is this thread on fire?
27: Users 36!: Guests?

WTF Appened/Went down?
The Ridley rapture is happening, and all the nonbelievers are mad that we're the chosen ones.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Guys, we've had tons of discussion about whether Ridley is fit for Smash Bros or not for tons of years, right now other things are brewing, so cut that out and accept that you won't change each other's opinions.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Maybe the adventure mode has this stage and he bursts through the wall before you fight and then unlock himmmm?

Maybeeeee?

I'll be honest, this update left me with mixed feelings, but a bit more on the pessimistic side.

I don't think the lava pouring in necessarily means the lava level will be changing, though.

Sidenote, Samus's charge blast is pretty.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
You know what I just noticed? A lot of pictures Sakurai has posted are Bowser vs. Samus. There was one on Arena Ferox that was pretty similar...
The Bowser from the Smash Bros. series was a disguised Ridley all along, what a twist.
In any second now he will finally get ride of his Bowser suit to reveal himself to Samus.
Ridley comfirmed, Bowser Decomfirmed for SSB4

D

Deleted member

The difference is that Mega Man's classic appearance is the one most associated with Nintendo and the one most iconic to his character, the same can't be said with Ridley who's appearance since Super Metroid has been the most iconic and recognizable look to his character.
That doesn't mean that NES Ridley can't work. If it's a matter of trying to fit Ridley in, as long as he plays great and can fit in, most people will want NES Ridley over no playable Ridley.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Whaaaaat?! Melee Ridley's too big now? That's hardly any bigger than Bowser. You just took all of the internet's sense, and chucked it right out the window. You didn't even bother opening it. Nope, right through the glass.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm going to remind people that at the end of the day, this here is a video game. So I don't really think Ridley cares if somebody wants him downsized to be in Smash Bros. He doesn't have feelings because he's not real. He is a group of pixels. He is a 3D model. He isn't real outside of that.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
That doesn't mean that NES Ridley can't work. If it's a matter of trying to fit Ridley in, as long as he plays great and can fit in, most people will want NES Ridley over no playable Ridley.
I personally, would most definitely prefer having the iconic Ridley I know and love as a stage hazard over Nes Ridley being the playable purple alien for the sake of shutting up the fans. You seriously can't tell me when you think Ridley, you think Nes and not Super Metroid Ridley, Prime Ridley, or even god damn Other M Ridley.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm going to remind people that at the end of the day, this here is a video game. So I don't really think Ridley cares if somebody wants him downsized to be in Smash Bros. He doesn't have feelings because he's not real. He is a group of pixels. He is a 3D model. He isn't real outside of that.
Not to mention a spin-off series, something that cares even less about canon stuff, especially sizes, than any other video game.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Not to mention a spin-off series, something that cares even less about canon stuff, especially sizes, than any other video game.
Sakurai also made Olimar taller than Kirby despite knowing the canon size for Olimar is smaller than Kirby's canon size.

D

Deleted member

I personally, would most definitely prefer having the iconic Ridley I know and love as a stage hazard over Nes Ridley being the playable purple alien for the sake of shutting up the fans. You seriously can't tell me when you think Ridley, you think Nes and not Super Metroid Ridley, Prime Ridley, or even god damn Other M Ridley.
Not saying that everyone would prefer it, just a significant majority. Most people like Ridley for who he is, so even if we get a NES Ridley, it's still Ridley and people will still celebrate because Ridley is playable.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

If he was real, I bet he'd be pretty sad at all these people saying he's too big to be put in.

Sniff... they all think I'm too fat and ugly...​

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Sakurai also made Olimar taller than Kirby despite knowing the canon size for Olimar is smaller than Kirby's canon size.
The canon size for Olimar is also smaller than most everything ever in Smash Bros., so yeah.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Question for the tried and true Ridley supporters. If he is a stage hazard here, will we stop supporting him for future Smash games?

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
the "any second" thing probably either shows that
A) ridley will be revealed as playable any second now
B) any second ridley will swoop down onto the stage and be a hazard

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
This "iconic" and "true" Ridley you all speak of doesn't exist. There's just Ridley. Whether you don't like the idea of him being less "serious/cool/true to the series" doesn't matter. Look at Brawl Ganondorf being all silly, he's still Ganondorf in the end. Or rather the Smash representation of him.

Also lol "privileged/entitled" Ridley fans being better for not wanting him to be ostracized by being made playable.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The canon size for Olimar is also smaller than most everything ever in Smash Bros., so yeah.
No, its the fact that Olimar is canonically the shortest character in Smash Bros., and canonically even shorter than Kirby (Sakurai even said that Olimar was only about an inch tall, while Kirby is eight inches), yet still made Olimar taller than Kirby for Smash 4.

Olimar's true character ruinned by not showing about how minitature he is. :troll:

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Question for the tried and true Ridley supporters. If he is a stage hazard here, will we stop supporting him for future Smash games?
I'll definitely support him in the future, not that it will be happening any time soon.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Hex no. I'll still be supporting him for SSB4 if he does become a stage hazard. It didn't directly say that he was disconfirmed and I believe Ridley has clones too. WE WILL FIGHT FOR HIM UNTIL WE RETIRE FROM THE SMASH COMMUNITY OR HE GETS PLAYABLE! WHICHEVER IS FIRST!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I just wanted to know, because it seems like it's hitting pretty hard if that ends up being the truth.

I'll support him, even if he isn't a lock like we thought.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The problem is that despite everyone still wanting Ridley, his supporters will be much more quiet and pessimistic because Sakurai still didn't add him into Smash 4 despite so few notable Nintendo characters left to add, and the anti-Ridley people will also be louder and more obnoxious than ever and voice their opinion every chance they get.

Basically, how the Roy situation is now. He is one of the most wanted characters for Smash 4, yet most people are pessimistic about him being able to return/get in, and he has incredibly loud detractors who voice their opinion in nearly every chance they get.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Eh. I think it's entirely likely that next time there's a Smash Bros. game about to come out it'll be so far in the future that I might not even care enough about the game itself as I'll probably be a busy adult with many important things to do.

BUT, if I am still around, then... yes. I'll keep supporting him. I figure I'll still be getting less fan-fevered, though.

Top Bottom